Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

How does Hank's shield generator work? Does it drain when I use it on someone, or when they're damaged by the monster? Does it "add" extra health like the support shield, or just soak damage as long as its held on someone? Fights have been too hectic for me to figure it out at my leisure.

His is a damage absorption thing. You hold it on someone and it only goes down when it takes damage. After taking full damage it "reloads" and then you can throw it on someone again. A good Hank will be able to bounce it to whoever's getting attacked and mitigate some damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Androc posted:

Is it just me or is mimic completely useless?

Judging from the one video I've watched it seems like a junkrat tire. You deploy if from somewhere you won't be getting shot from and ideally will be able to detonate it on top of everyone before they destroy it. Probably takes some map/positioning knowledge to use effectively.

e: Watching an old tournament player stream now and it looks like he just uses it to punch people :confused:

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 10, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Androc posted:

Yup, I've been having the same problem. I tried to pick up Gorgon, since the idea of setting ambushes sounds really cool, then spent the entire game picking tracking darts out of my teeth. Wall ambushes were completely useless, too, since people just stick together enough to kill my spiders and knock me off hunters.

Pouncing from the walls does like a quarter of their HP in initial damage vs almost no initial damage from a regular pounce. It also staggers and knocks back anyone around the person you wall pounce. It's very far from useless. Pounce from the wall onto someone and then immediately hop off of them. It takes some time to work into your fights effectively.

I'll be in mumble today if anyone wants to group up.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Should we have a new thread maybe? Would be good to have "Now free to play!" in the title since this one probably isn't on a lot of people's radar.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Probably, and it could use some key information like 'save money to unlock characters, you can unlock perks by leveling characters for free'.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Pouncing from the walls does like a quarter of their HP in initial damage vs almost no initial damage from a regular pounce. It also staggers and knocks back anyone around the person you wall pounce. It's very far from useless. Pounce from the wall onto someone and then immediately hop off of them. It takes some time to work into your fights effectively.

I'll be in mumble today if anyone wants to group up.

It's great when it works, but the range is so short you practically have to be right above someone to grab them. Which is a bit difficult given the myriad 'gently caress you' walls you aren't allowed to climb on.

I mean, I'm sure Gorgon is good, but man is it just not clicking with me.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Reposting this stream link since the dude is on a 35 game win streak.

If you want to see what the game is about or just watch a monster poo poo on people check it out.

https://www.twitch.tv/giantchiprel

e: RIP Stanley Pain

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 10, 2016

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Bought two characters with keys, now considering dropping $11 on the founder pack to unlock a poo poo ton of characters...and both of the characters I unlocked already are in there. Will that be refunded, or did I just burn like 10,000 keys?

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged

Androc posted:

Yup, I've been having the same problem. I tried to pick up Gorgon, since the idea of setting ambushes sounds really cool, then spent the entire game picking tracking darts out of my teeth. Wall ambushes were completely useless, too, since people just stick together enough to kill my spiders and knock me off hunters.

I've had some luck with Gorgon (8 win streak and I'm new to the game). The fact you can just keep web slinging like Spider-Man means that you can almost always stay ahead of the hunters (so you can eat while they catch up). I normally only run along the ground if I'm going to leave a spider trap - otherwise I sneak or jump if I can.

For combat I normally pick one person and hose them down with acid and webshots while meleeing them - other people get carted away by the spiders. If they go down I keep them there with the acid spray while focusing on the others. No idea how to use mimic yet - to me it seems like it leaves you exposed while using a crappy low-health stunt double but maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Arsonide posted:

Bought two characters with keys, now considering dropping $11 on the founder pack to unlock a poo poo ton of characters...and both of the characters I unlocked already are in there. Will that be refunded, or did I just burn like 10,000 keys?

Where / how do you buy the founder's pack? I'd drop 10$ to have all the poo poo unlocked

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

Where / how do you buy the founder's pack? I'd drop 10$ to have all the poo poo unlocked

Well I didn't actually get it until just now, but G2A has it. You better hurry though, it was $10 this morning, and now it is $16. The price is rising super fast. Shifty rear end economy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for some reason they removed the fun Custom settings like "two monsters" or "have the ship searchlight help you" good job,Turtle Rock

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

MinibarMatchman posted:

for some reason they removed the fun Custom settings like "two monsters" or "have the ship searchlight help you" good job,Turtle Rock

You can still fire up the legacy version if you want.

http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/222418608-How-Can-I-Play-Legacy-Evolve-

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It feels like monsters are pretty strong now. I've played 10 or so games and have yet to see the hunters win a single game.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

So now that I have access to most of the monsters, I played Kraken twice and died in stage 1 within about five minutes both times...but holy poo poo the Wraith. I maxed Decoy to start with, and when I was inevitably domed, I spent literally three minutes toying with the hunters. Never once was I in direct confrontation, just my decoy. Occasionally one of the hunters would get smart, and follow me while his teammates fought the decoy, but then he was separated and I could attack him.

After the dome dropped, I ran around the map feeding, leaving decoys behind me to slow the hunters down. It was slow going, but eventually I evolved and used that to max out Warp Blast. After that, my decoy was no longer a distraction, but a brother in arms. I'd fight alongside him nuking the hunters. It was rather effective because just about at that point, the hunters were expecting me to run after every sign of confrontation, not stay and fight.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've won many more than I've lost playing as the hunters - the wraith is the only monster I'd say is potentially too strong. It's pretty early to say though given that most people playing don't have all the unlocks and have no idea what they're doing. It's a lot of fun though

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
The trapper is still pretty key, and I am very happy anyone can dome now.

If your trapper can't keep a beat on the monster 80-100% of the time you're basically hosed.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've seen streamers claiming that monster stealth is now completely ineffective because of the new Trapper satellite ability. What do people think? If that's the case then I'll be sad, because stealthing around used to be my favourite part of monster play.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Gunder posted:

I've seen streamers claiming that monster stealth is now completely ineffective because of the new Trapper satellite ability. What do people think? If that's the case then I'll be sad, because stealthing around used to be my favourite part of monster play.

If you try to sneak away to not leave tracks at the start of the game you'll probably be in range of the scan if they deploy it as soon as they jump out of the ship. After that the cooldown is only 30 seconds so it's not really possible to outrange the scan and not leave tracks at the same time.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Gunder posted:

Ghosting the hunter team is not really possible anymore, as the trapper's 4th skill lets hunters know where you are in a ~30-degree cone on the compass. On top of that, the trapper gets a speed-boost and can see your outline from across the map while its active for those few seconds.

That said, it's still very possible to juke and mislead the hunters. one tactic I've seen has involved monsters waiting until the trapper's ability goes on cooldown, then doubling-back while sneaking to throw off the pursuit. Also, since the team is heavily encouraged to split up and flank the monster for a dome'ing, it's very easy for the monster player to set up an ambush for lone players.

All in all, you can still be a sneaky bastard, but you have to get a feel for working around the trapper. Speed is king, though, as more distance=more time to eat food.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hey so what I am looking to buy a new character, I have about 10k in SK, any suggestions for dope trappers, or medics? I am pretty ok at this game so far and want someone who is just straight up fun mode.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Hey so what I am looking to buy a new character, I have about 10k in SK, any suggestions for dope trappers, or medics? I am pretty ok at this game so far and want someone who is just straight up fun mode.

I love Lazarus, but I hear he's been severely nerfed since Stage 1. You might also want to try out Jack for Trapping.

Extropist
Apr 26, 2008
Lennox owns, tia.

Honestly though, landing combo punches over and over, chasing with my strike feels great. Probably playing against bads or something, but I haven't needed my huge gun at all.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Echoing the sentiment that Slim is the best medic. Nothing like doing 8k damage with 45% reload speed letting you heal for like 12k health.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Gunder posted:

I love Lazarus, but I hear he's been severely nerfed since Stage 1. You might also want to try out Jack for Trapping.

Yea, I think since you lose 3 mins off your dome when people go down his Lazarus Device ability seems really lovely.

Snatch Duster posted:

Echoing the sentiment that Slim is the best medic. Nothing like doing 8k damage with 45% reload speed letting you heal for like 12k health.

He was the one I was eyeballing. I just bought Sunny though so it'll be a while before I can buy another hunter.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

I see lots of posts where people are talking about doing thousands of damage at a time but the biggest single damage number I've ever seen was, I think, 16. What am I missing?

I bought Slim and don't know how to be effective on him, I launch a spore grenade wherever we're fighting, throw healing drones and then shoot my gun to recharge my heal while spamming the heal, but I just feel hilariously ineffective and can rarely keep someone alive if the monster focuses them even when all my shots are hitting. The gun plinks away for a useless 4-8 damage a shot. He's the only Medic I've played though so I don't know if this is any different from the rest of them.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 11, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Stealth isn't king any more but it still effective. I have managed to juke and pounce hunters by hiding in bushes or traversing in circles and then hiding behind a rock or outcropping. Plus you can still stealth pounce and get some nice early damage.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do damage numbers still show if the monster is stealthed? One of my favourite tricks was to hide inside the dome by sneaking into some shrubbery. This would be totally ruined if they can just spray bushes and see numbers popping up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^^^ Even if not wouldn't your extremely visible health bar getting hit be a giveaway?

As someone who plays 99% hunter and 75% trapper even I feel like the trapper tracking ult needs a cooldown increase. Maybe 45 or even 60.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^^^ Even if not wouldn't your extremely visible health bar getting hit be a giveaway?

As someone who plays 99% hunter and 75% trapper even I feel like the trapper tracking ult needs a cooldown increase. Maybe 45 or even 60.

I never thought about that, but it used to work!

Edit: I really miss the old dome mechanics. I liked tracking the monster, even if some trackers would be pretty slow to find the monster (Abe). Maybe ranked could have a hardcore mode with the old dome stuff.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shakill OReal posted:

I see lots of posts where people are talking about doing thousands of damage at a time but the biggest single damage number I've ever seen was, I think, 16. What am I missing?

I bought Slim and don't know how to be effective on him, I launch a spore grenade wherever we're fighting, throw healing drones and then shoot my gun to recharge my heal while spamming the heal, but I just feel hilariously ineffective and can rarely keep someone alive if the monster focuses them even when all my shots are hitting. The gun plinks away for a useless 4-8 damage a shot. He's the only Medic I've played though so I don't know if this is any different from the rest of them.

With slim you use the drone to pick people up that are down or top them off while chasing. Spore in between reloading. All other times you should be unloading your clip into the master and spamming 4.

Don't worry about aiming just hold down fire and just keep hitting 4. It takes 4 shots to recharge your AOE heal so you should be getting 2 heals per clip, healing for 190 -300 per depending on your distant to your team mate.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Something new players should try to remember is that if you shoot one weapon/gadget and switch to another before reloading, the first weapon WILL STILL RELOAD while it is unequiped. This makes weapon swap speed perks pretty useful, and you should almost never be sitting through a reload animation when you could be firing your other weapon/gadget.

For example: While playing slim, fire your primary while spamming your healing field and then when your primary is ready to reload just switch to your pheromone grenade launcher for a couple of shots so when you switch back the primary weapon will be fully loaded.

I still highly recommend playing with goons in mumble because organized groups help you learn faster and win more. It's also just more fun to play with pals.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 11, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What does slim's 2 do, anyways?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The monster cannot smell to see outlines and nametags while in the cloud.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

The monster cannot smell to see outlines and nametags while in the cloud.

What's the point? Usually they'll want to be smelling you while you're on the move, anyways

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You underestimate how hectic it gets for the monster during a fight and how hard it can be to keep track of hunters without nametags, outlines, and healthbars.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

What's the point? Usually they'll want to be smelling you while you're on the move, anyways

It makes it hard as poo poo to tell who's who, and I think it removes healthbars as well.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Essentially, Slim is a horrible bugman that every monster player hates and will almost certainly beeline for during any dome-fight.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think the new trapping and tracking mechanics really hurt trapper character uniqueness. The satellite ability is so powerful that you rarely need to use the other tracking mechanics. Turtle Rock say that they wanted to alleviate the "running simulator" aspect of the game, but ironically their changes have only intensified it. Now, thanks to the satellite, you're constantly nipping at the monsters heels, waiting for the dome to come off cooldown. There's no longer any stalking, tracking, or any actual hunting going on. It's a real bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

Essentially, Slim is a horrible bugman that every monster player hates and will almost certainly beeline for during any dome-fight.

This is the lesson I learned when I unlocked Slim. Better be good with your jetpack management!

• Locked thread