Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Bizarro World Skyler Maybe. Will you get back to making drugs right this second Walt? I think you might kill Hank too while you're at it. I better not hear of you teaching high school and trying to go clean again.

Ed:. Posting from your Android is a bad idea God drat you autocorrect

In that exact way, yeah, but the point is she has the same relative role within the story that Skylar did in Breaking Bad. So far she exists only to give the main character poo poo for doing what he believes to be the right thing, when she isn't really helping, she's angry as hell in all her scenes and just generally acts pissy towards everybody; while also being massively hypocritical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Most of the time Skyler was objectively right though, and Walt's pride was the only reason for most of the poo poo they were in. So if anything Tulip is worse.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Both the female characters are bad so far because their largest and focused character traits so far are pining for Jesse, who is always being a distant rear end in a top hat to both of them.

The only time Tulip was a good character was her introduction, and even that had her announce that she was crazy over Jesse.

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 8, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Show Tulip is basically Skyler from Breaking Bad.

Yeah okay this is officially the worst thread holy poo poo.

Aside from that, the beginning of the last episode was the highlight of the show so far and one of my fav scenes of the year. Wish the rest of the show was like that. Or showed some sort of urgency at all.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Yeah okay this is officially the worst thread holy poo poo.

Aside from that, the beginning of the last episode was the highlight of the show so far and one of my fav scenes of the year. Wish the rest of the show was like that. Or showed some sort of urgency at all.

I think they're trying to tie up a lot of lame late comic plot lines like Cass/Tulip, Jesse's arrogance, early so we can get all the good stuff later.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Filthy Casual posted:

I think they're trying to tie up a lot of lame late comic plot lines like Cass/Tulip, Jesse's arrogance, early so we can get all the good stuff later.

There is no good stuff later.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The "problem" is that even is Tulip is right and Jesse doesn't belong in this life,and coming with her is the objectively correct thing or whatever the viewer doesn't care. The viewer wants to see Jesse to get into hosed up situations with his magic powers and accidentally doing horrible things by preaching. Like with Breaking Bad the character is saying "stop doing this cool and interesting thing that the show is about please." She's still cool though, I hope her storyline transitions to encouraging Jesse to use his powers for (more) selfish reasons and they have wacky adventures together instead of always fighting.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Pwnstar posted:

The "problem" is that even is Tulip is right and Jesse doesn't belong in this life,and coming with her is the objectively correct thing or whatever the viewer doesn't care. The viewer wants to see Jesse to get into hosed up situations with his magic powers and accidentally doing horrible things by preaching. Like with Breaking Bad the character is saying "stop doing this cool and interesting thing that the show is about please." She's still cool though, I hope her storyline transitions to encouraging Jesse to use his powers for (more) selfish reasons and they have wacky adventures together instead of always fighting.

The problem is that It's hard to be invested in Tulip's revenge plot when we don't know the details about what happened. All we know is that some guy named Carlos screwed over Jesse and Tulip somehow. Bad enough for Tulip to want to torture Carlos to death. It makes it even more hard for me to care for her plot line, when for the past 6 episodes, boils down to:

Tulip: "Come with me, Jesse."

Jesse: "No."

It's different for Skyler from Breaking Bad since she was a source of drama for Walter. I thought it was refreshing to see a woman character not falling for obvious lies from their spouse. But viewers hated her because she got in the way of Walter's meth making and murder.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
-Opps doubled posted-

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Idiots complaining about Skyler already came close to ruining the Breaking Bad threads, let's not have it ruin the Preacher thread too, especially now that the show is getting good.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Also a reminder people literally ate bans for paragraph+ posts explaining in the context of the show what their issue with Skylar was. Seriously. That's how touchy mods got about it.

That said, I find myself skipping through most of Tulip's stuff just because I find it extremely boring. I thought her blowing up a helicopter was also boring because the show seems to have some grounding in reality aside from people with clearly shown superpowers, of which she has none. That bit snapped my suspension of disbelief and kind of made me not give a poo poo about her is that they had to write her as basically having superpowers herself (in turning tin coffee cans into a tube that can handle the pressures of an explosive detonation and fighting off two large men in hand to hand combat in a tight space as a somewhat small-ish woman), for some reason I can't really grasp. Well, I mean I get the point was to have 'exciting action scenes' of which the car fight definitely qualifies for, but man oh man that helicopter scene made me roll my eyes up into my skull. And I went into this with comic book-like expectations.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 9, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yes! I couldn't put my finger on it but that's it exactly. If this was a show about a highly trained group including a deadly assassin it might make sense, but La Femme Tulip doesn't fit in the narrative universe the show is set in.

Of course in the book Jesse is shown to have super fighting skills too where he can take on an entire bar of angry rednecks so so knows. "He looks like the kind of guy who'd crawl through a perfectly good whore house to get to a fat boys rear end."

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Well that's the thing, when you get into his backstory his fighting skills have a completely reasonable explanation, if you accept that there are people that have that level of martial skill in general. Tulip in this show is played on the level when it comes to fighting competency you'd expect from a hardened, commando combat veteran. e- Who is also 220 pounds of muscle.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 9, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, maybe the story she told that cop wasn't entirely fabricated.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Justin Credible posted:

Well that's the thing, when you get into his backstory his fighting skills have a completely reasonable explanation, if you accept that there are people that have that level of martial skill in general. Tulip in this show is played on the level when it comes to fighting competency you'd expect from a hardened, commando combat veteran. e- Who is also 220 pounds of muscle.

The one that always makes me laugh at the over the top-ness is when he's fighting Starr and lights a cigarette in the middle of the fight.

Scene -

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the one hand, that scene is an example of Preacher's general inconsistency and/or painting Jesse as the infallible cowboy god among men, because Starr is supposed to be an extremely good special forces soldier.

On the other, there's a bit in Starr's backstory where he shoots his unarmed combat instructor and explains to his superiors that he has no intention of ever being unarmed, so it's kind of a nice callback that it comes around to bite him in the rear end like that, even though I'm positive it wasn't intentional.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

On the one hand, that scene is an example of Preacher's general inconsistency and/or painting Jesse as the infallible cowboy god among men, because Starr is supposed to be an extremely good special forces soldier.

On the other, there's a bit in Starr's backstory where he shoots his unarmed combat instructor and explains to his superiors that he has no intention of ever being unarmed, so it's kind of a nice callback that it comes around to bite him in the rear end like that, even though I'm positive it wasn't intentional.

I don't know, I tend to think it was intentional. There's a NUMBER of scenes where Starr gets his poo poo kicked in because he can't fight to save his life. The cannibal hillbilly dudes, though he was missing a leg at that time, Eisenstein, etc.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

To be fair, the guy's also got some pretty poor depth perception there, and note the side Preacher hits him on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pwnstar posted:

That's exactly why Tulip isn't actually a problem. Her desire is for Jesse to go on a different crazy adventure, which we'll probably need once Jesse finishes his current crazy adventure. You can only send so many people to hell while ominously focusing on the various venting pipes around the town before you have to go on a road trip with you Vampire buddy and your homicidal girlfriend.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Zaphod42 posted:

Show Tulip is basically Skyler from Breaking Bad.

In that goons can't handle her?

She's a great actor and her character has led to some great scenes.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Tulip's awesome and Jesse needs to pull his head out of his rear end and go adventuring with her already

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

John Wayne? Unexpected veer back toward comic-canon.

Tulip being Jesse's adopted sister? Unexpected veer away. :psyduck:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Data Graham posted:

Tulip being Jesse's adopted sister? Unexpected veer away. :psyduck:

What made you think that? The state took Tulip away.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or whatever she was. Live-in kid roommate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That preview. :eyepop:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heh. Civil war reenactors and Alamo models. Ol' Odin's putting me in mind of some weird combination of Ben Horne and Miles O'Brien. :v:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Cassidy's right ya'll. He's also :kingsley:

I really hope that civil war teaser means that Saint of Killers is showing up and just absolutely laying turbo waste to everyone and everything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not sure how keen I am about the sudden realization that Eugene/Arseface turbo-gooned and turned that girl into a vegetable with a shotgun, and isn't in jail because 'reasons' that probably involve his father being the arbiter of law and Odin being the judge, jury, and executioner.

"Finish the job" indeed.

Supreme Allah posted:

I really hope that civil war teaser means that Saint of Killers is showing up and just absolutely laying turbo waste to everyone and everything.

And I really hope that we get to see the Saint of Killers freeze hell and kill Satan first. Call it compensation for not getting to *see* someone get sucked down into the loving mire of Hell.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 11, 2016

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not sure how keen I am about the sudden realization that Eugene/Arseface turbo-gooned and turned that girl into a vegetable with a shotgun, and isn't in jail because 'reasons' that probably involve his father being the arbiter of law and Odin being the judge, jury, and executioner.

I suppose there's always the possibility that it was still a suicide pact, everyone assumes Eugene tried to kill her, and he just never told anyone she put him up to it. Depends on exactly how they want to cast Eugene at the end of all this as making it an attempted murder-suicide does change the character a lot.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I suppose there's always the possibility that it was still a suicide pact, everyone assumes Eugene tried to kill her, and he just never told anyone she put him up to it. Depends on exactly how they want to cast Eugene at the end of all this as making it an attempted murder-suicide does change the character a lot.

Pretty sure it's going to be this. Eugene hasn't been portrayed as having a single malicious bone in his body, to the point of not wanting people to do positive things against their will even though they'd be beneficial towards him and others. this self sacrificing for helping others trait plus him being the kindest, most innocent character from every scene he's been in so far could explain a couple different ways how things went down and him not ever revealing the real truth to anyone else.

Joe Chill posted:

But viewers hated her because she got in the way of Walter's meth making and murder.

This is so disingenuous. Skylar was intentionally written to be an unlikeable character from the very first episode before Walt ever even cooked any meth. People may have gotten carried away with hating on her but the over reactions from the other side was just as bad, if not worse when it came to making GBS threads up threads.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Stayed up super late to watch this, and I'm glad I did. What a fun way to fill the GoT sized hole left in my Sunday night! Ruth Negga's church outfit was amazing, I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy the costume design this season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Is it just me or is this the second time that the "last time on preacher" showed a scene not actually in the show? Or did I forget that part from a previous episode?

Amazing episode this time, total rollercoaster. Got a lot of things confirmed, like Odin not being a Christian after all, and Arseface's backstory in the show.

That ending is wild, things are coming to a head. Definitely looks like the season is going to end with everything in flames

As usual Cass is hilarious, his "Did everybody know that? I didn't know that" attempt to cover for Tulip had me cracking up. Although his sorta self-sacrifice gamble seemed like a pretty dramatic step. Although I guess warranted because Jesse is going off the loving deep end.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it just me or is this the second time that the "last time on preacher" showed a scene not actually in the show? Or did I forget that part from a previous episode?
I have seen this in TVIV for over a decade and as far as I can verify, it has literally never been true. People just need to stop looking at their phones while they're watching TV.

Anyway, if that's the end of Arseface, I'mma be pissed.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

savinhill posted:

This is so disingenuous. Skylar was intentionally written to be an unlikeable character from the very first episode before Walt ever even cooked any meth. People may have gotten carried away with hating on her but the over reactions from the other side was just as bad, if not worse when it came to making GBS threads up threads.

Not to turn this into a Breaking Bad thread but I fail to see how Skylar was intentionally unlikable. One of the things it did well was playing with expectations since people were supposed to assume that Walter was a hen-pecked husband heroically sacrificing himself to save his family from the burden of debt but instead he was always a goddamned monster and control freak. Skylar and Walter's relationship was at a static period before the show (we can assume) and her significant other suddenly started acting weirdly and lying to her. It would've been stranger if Skylar had remained oblivious and remained on the sidelines while Walt and Jesse were off gallivanting about. In a lesser show, that might've been a possibility.

Oh, and Preacher is a good show, and this was a good episode.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Supreme Allah posted:

Speaking of which, I was sure SoK's hand was going to reach through the dirt a la Carrie when Jesse used the Word at the end.

Best ep of the season so far, I had totally forgotten Ryan Phillipe existed until now. I really like the whole role reversal thingy, Cass being the moral center will make his eventual betrayal a bigger punch in the guts than it was in the comics.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

LividLiquid posted:

I have seen this in TVIV for over a decade and as far as I can verify, it has literally never been true. People just need to stop looking at their phones while they're watching TV.

Anyway, if that's the end of Arseface, I'mma be pissed.

Didn't Shameless do that?

Also, last episode ruled. This episode was good. I'm really into this now.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
I was very patient with this show, but the way they're portraying these characters is really, really starting to loving bug me. I know people said they were getting tired of hearing the show constantly compared it to the comics, but gently caress it, I need to say my piece. I genuinely don't mind if there are differences between the comic and the show, I really loved the first two episodes and they were very different. In the comics it's kind of a plot twist that Cassidy, who seems like this cool fun guy, is actually a genuine rear end in a top hat and deep down kind of a bad person. On the other hand Jesse, Jesse's Dad, and to a lesser extent Tulip are basically all portrayed as perfect infallible badasses who are always in the right. In the show Jesse is an rear end in a top hat, Jesse's dad is an rear end in a top hat, and Tulip is an rear end in a top hat, Cassidy is the ONLY character that seems really likable to me and he's acting as the voice of reason now? Now I actually really like the idea of NOT portraying Jesse as some epic perfect badass cowboy, and as a more fallible and even corruptable character, but why is he SUCH a raging loving rear end in a top hat? And why did they have to change Arseface's backstory to being a literal murderer? In all the previous episodes I thought everyone was just being a huge loving rear end in a top hat to him because they were pissed he talked her into committing suicide with him, which would have made sense. Now it turns out he's just a loving psychopath who tried to murder someone (and essentially did, since rendering someone braindead is basically the same as killing them). I just... don't like the direction this show is heading, and I'm really not saying the show needs to slavishly follow the way things happened in the comics, but it would have been nice if they could have at least tried to capture the spirit of the comic instead of whatever the hell this show is, because it might end up being a good, well-made show, but it's certainly not Preacher, not yet at least. I'm also pissed they showed the flashback with his dad dying AGAIN, but basically without revealing any new information, which made it a complete waste of time. I didn't even mind that they made his dad a preacher too for some reason, but I am very worried they're going to gently caress up the whole Angelville arc which was the best part of the comic in my opinion.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

savinhill posted:

Pretty sure it's going to be this. Eugene hasn't been portrayed as having a single malicious bone in his body, to the point of not wanting people to do positive things against their will even though they'd be beneficial towards him and others. this self sacrificing for helping others trait plus him being the kindest, most innocent character from every scene he's been in so far could explain a couple different ways how things went down and him not ever revealing the real truth to anyone else.

He's not innocent though. His self hatred and depression means he should probably have something seriously bad in his past or else his pain and the way people treat him would be too sympathetically unreasonable. I think the reveal enhances Eugene's story-it doesn't invalidate how good of a person he is now. It's redemption.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This show just keeps getting better each week, and the end of each episode makes me wish it was next week already so I could see the next one. That entire awkward dinner scene was just wonderful.

I love how reasonable and matter-of-fact Odin is about his utter lunacy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
e - nm

• Locked thread