Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey, there's a webcomics thread. I shouldn't be surprised.

So after a long hiatus from webcomics, I've picked Broodhollow back up, and discovered Stand Still, Stay Silent & K6BD. I'm digging them all again, particularly the Lovecraftian feel of Broodhollow, and the postapocalyptic + magic themes of SSSS. Any others along those lines that I absolutely have to read? The only other long running or notable webcomics I really read back when I checked them out daily were Starslip Crisis and Spacetrawler.

Spacetrawler ended, and the creator's done two since then--one where the character art experiment wasn't very successful, but the story was alright, and another one that's apparently winding up soon. He just announced last week that Spacetrawler is coming back, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MockingQuantum posted:

So after a long hiatus from webcomics, I've picked Broodhollow back up, and discovered Stand Still, Stay Silent & K6BD. I'm digging them all again, particularly the Lovecraftian feel of Broodhollow, and the postapocalyptic + magic themes of SSSS. Any others along those lines that I absolutely have to read? The only other long running or notable webcomics I really read back when I checked them out daily were Starslip Crisis and Spacetrawler.

Paranatural isn't as grim as Broodhollow and SSSS can get, but it tackles paranormal monsters as well; it has more of an Earthbound approach to the tone/writing. A Ghost Story is a good horror/comedy comic, too, that doesn't lean on absurdity as much as Paranatural. Sword Interval is just gearing up into a spooky horror story and overall seems like an interesting paranormal investigation/monster hunting comic so far.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MockingQuantum posted:

Did you finish reading Starslip? Because it ended in 2012 and its grand finale was, well, a work of art.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In the post-ap + supernatural creepiness genre, take a look at Derelict. Same author as Sword Interval.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

MockingQuantum posted:

Any others along those lines that I absolutely have to read?
Beyond Loom :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Paranatural isn't as grim as Broodhollow and SSSS can get, but it tackles paranormal monsters as well; it has more of an Earthbound approach to the tone/writing.

Really the horror comes to how ether incompetent, egotistical, or Bad at thier Job any empowered adult (Agent May excluded) is.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm sexy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Holy lol

That's probably some sort of record.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

All of that was one chapter?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Can someone do a recap of what all happened in this first chapter? I don't wanna go through 2800+ comics to do it myself.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Man bites dog.

Also some stuff about robots gaining personhood? Honestly that seemed like kind of a B-plot.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

Holy lol

That's probably some sort of record.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nimby posted:

Can someone do a recap of what all happened in this first chapter? I don't wanna go through 2800+ comics to do it myself.

Sam Starfall scammed himself a GMO AI anthro-wolf space-engineer named Florence while living on a planet colonized by humans. They have zany adventures getting Sam's orbital shuttle spaceship working. They meet some AI robots, who it turns out had their brains modeled on the same design as Florence's brain. Then they find out that the robots are under threat of being permanently lobotomized by a program originally designed as a failsafe against robot revolt/runaway by an evil corporate executive who hopes to take over ownership of the robots' assets. They eventually convince the colony to allow the robots to live freely and independently de jure (instead of de facto, which had been happening on a small scale as robots bought themselves out rather than be scrapped) and thwart the executive's plans.

Oh yeah and somewhere in there the wolf engineer started dating a human veterinarian. There's other stuff that happens in there too, and I'm probably forgetting a couple of plot arcs.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I suddenly no longer feel that insecure about how long it's taking me to get Poppy through Act 1 of 4

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also Sam scammed an entire planet out of the whole deal so that his species will have something when they achieve space travel instead of humanity getting everything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like "Thus endeth Chapter 1" here somehow takes the crown of Longest Setup For A Punchline In A Webcomic from Clevinger's gag in 8-Bit. But maybe that's just me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morbi posted:

I suddenly no longer feel that insecure about how long it's taking me to get Poppy through Act 1 of 4

This makes me happy because it means Poppy will be around for a long time. It is a good comic.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Nuebot posted:

This makes me happy because it means Poppy will be around for a long time. It is a good comic.

I'm also holding out hope for the sequel: Dr. Lily.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sword Interval: Oh. I don't think that that is good.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 13, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Lone Badger posted:

Sword Interval: Oh. I don't think that that is good.

no, definitely not. Eight young male ghosts, seems like that's the two named freshmen plus the six unidentified but mutilated male corpses that were retrieved from the flooded ruins of the hall. Harry Tamerlane might be the ghost in the top right corner, and Francis Redmond looks to be the one in the dead center of the bottom row. Guess we'll get to find out what happened to them pretty soon...

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Meanwhile in Witchy, Nyneve has a perfectly reasonable reaction to some weirdo smelling you.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, ok, wait a minute. In Poppy, apparently Friedrich's spectral arm is actually just a semi-astral-projection that only encompasses the arm, and he can pull his whole spirit out and send it somewhere...

But in the dragon fight, he powered up and summoned like dozens of loving arms. How does that work? Can he split his astral projection? Could he take another one of those power tabs and summon like 6 spectral Friedrichs?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Friedrich's arms are a creation of the "Soul Patch" prosthesis he has, just like most of the bird characters. This spirit projection poo poo he's doing right now is a complex magical act that requires meditation and would probably violate an EULA.
He could split his projection into multiple independent forms as well as any of us could control two bodies at once. Which is to say, probably not well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morbi posted:

He could split his projection into multiple independent forms as well as any of us could control two bodies at once. Which is to say, probably not well.

If he were a manipulator or a conjurer he wouldn't have that problem.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So then it's not that his normal arm is simply a half-finished normal projection, there's actually a difference from Friedrich normally summoning his missing arm(s) to fight, and the astral projection stunt he's pulling right now? I get it now, thanks Morbi!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Wilde Life: Darcy's pretty great.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Captain Bravo posted:

So, ok, wait a minute. In Poppy, apparently Friedrich's spectral arm is actually just a semi-astral-projection that only encompasses the arm, and he can pull his whole spirit out and send it somewhere...

But in the dragon fight, he powered up and summoned like dozens of loving arms. How does that work? Can he split his astral projection? Could he take another one of those power tabs and summon like 6 spectral Friedrichs?

Forget about Friedrich's arm; let's talk about how cute the seal operator is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Her flattering comment to Friedrich shows that she is a seal of approval.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Catching up on long-running joke-a-day webcomics makes me wish I was reading anything besides Penny Arcade circa 2003.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Catching up on long-running joke-a-day webcomics makes me wish I was reading anything besides Penny Arcade circa 2003.

What is with this thread and deliberately torturing itself with poo poo it doesn't enjoy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What is with this thread and deliberately torturing itself with poo poo it doesn't enjoy.

It took me a bit to parse that sentence too; he's not saying that he's reading 2003-era Penny Arcade, he's saying he wishes that back in 2003 he had been reading something other than Penny Arcade, because there was so much better out there and he didn't realize it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Her flattering comment to Friedrich shows that she is a seal of approval.

You don't want to meet the seal of disapproval.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

It took me a bit to parse that sentence too; he's not saying that he's reading 2003-era Penny Arcade, he's saying he wishes that back in 2003 he had been reading something other than Penny Arcade, because there was so much better out there and he didn't realize it.

Yeah, that's what I meant, it was poorly phrased.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

MockingQuantum posted:

I can't believe I used to sincerely recommend vgcats to people.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Xinder posted:

I can't believe I used to sincerely recommend vgcats to people.

Oh man I actually read that too, I totally forgot it existed.

I also read Checkerboard Nightmare, now that I think about it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh man I actually read that too, I totally forgot it existed.

I also read Checkerboard Nightmare, now that I think about it.

Checkerboard Nightmare was amazing, though.

Really, everything Straub has done is brilliant, to the point where I'm almost baffled that a single page of text is what got him the big bucks.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Carrasco posted:

single page of text is what got him the big bucks.

Whats this?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

Whats this?

Well, I don't know if he got "big bucks" for it, but he came up with the Candle Cove thing, which got fairly popular as a 'creepypasta', and then it got optioned. I'm guessing that's what Carrasco is referring to.

But, yeah, Straub is a great webcomicsman and I hope we see a bunch more Broodhollow soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I'm always really impressed by just how different Straub's comedy is from his horror fiction. It took me embarrassingly long to connect his various works together in my head.

• Locked thread