Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he walked right past Kit's guarded lab to the room the mice are chewing a hole in the wall of.

Friedrich doesn't need mice to enter Kit's lab, I don't think. He's in charge of security of the entire palace.

Gustaf was able to enter Kit's lab, I don't think Friedrich getting in there would be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I just found Buttlord thanks to the OP and I have to ask if it's still updating very slowly or if I should give up on it. I fear the worst, but hope for the best.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
speaking of updates, The Abominable Charles Christopher jolted back to life at the end of May, if anyone was still reading that

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Xinder posted:

I just found Buttlord thanks to the OP and I have to ask if it's still updating very slowly or if I should give up on it. I fear the worst, but hope for the best.

I checked it a little bit ago and it's updated since then, so it appears to just be chugging along, albeit slowly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Friedrich doesn't need mice to enter Kit's lab, I don't think. He's in charge of security of the entire palace.

Gustaf was able to enter Kit's lab, I don't think Friedrich getting in there would be a problem.

He could enter the lab, sure, but could he find out the secrets Kit is keeping from him? My read is that the dragon incident happening so soon after infiltration by that octopus lady has made Friedrich suspicious, and he wants to make sure Kit isn't doing something horribly stupid. Which she is. So that could be interesting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm most curious about what exactly Friedrich has them infiltrating.

Ufufu fu fu ufufu ufu fu. Or weren't you listening?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

He could enter the lab, sure, but could he find out the secrets Kit is keeping from him? My read is that the dragon incident happening so soon after infiltration by that octopus lady has made Friedrich suspicious, and he wants to make sure Kit isn't doing something horribly stupid. Which she is. So that could be interesting.

Entirely possible, but I more get the impression that the only thing that's been stopping Friedrich from looking around the lab is "Kit has been literally constantly in it".

The Lone Badger posted:

Ufufu fu fu ufufu ufu fu. Or weren't you listening?

Well I can hardly argue with that.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FlyinPingu posted:

I checked it a little bit ago and it's updated since then, so it appears to just be chugging along, albeit slowly.
From the buttlord tumblr:

quote:

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? As middle-aged adults with homes, families and other responsibilities, finding time for webcomics has proven difficult. Both Andy and I are still enthusiastic about Buttlord, and while updates will never be plentiful, we are planning to get this thing rolling again. "Stay tooned”.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I'm most curious about what exactly Friedrich has them infiltrating.

I'm most curious what that thing in the photograph in the last panel is. Looks like some kind of metal gear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm most curious what that thing in the photograph in the last panel is. Looks like some kind of metal gear.

Metal Gear!?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So in today's Poppy JESUS CHRIST

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Phantom limb"? Sounds like a cool superpower!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

possums can't do magic, what is this

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

possums can't do magic, what is this

Friedrich's a short-tailed opossum so he has limited magic.
(Unless I missed the joke)

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Friedrich's a short-tailed opossum so he has limited magic.
(Unless I missed the joke)

wait what

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

H...he has done magic in literally every single one of his appearances.

Edit: I don't think we witnessed whatever gave him that wound on his side. That looks recent.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 9, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i must have completely forgotten this

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

i must have completely forgotten this

He has teleported in most of his appearances and in the dragon chapter he telekinetically wielded like half a dozen swords at once.

Short tailed opossums have very limited magic but seem to rely on boosters which we've seen him consuming.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Edit: I don't think we witnessed whatever gave him that wound on his side. That looks recent.

I thought it was from the fight in chapter 5, but he was wounded on the leg, not there.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

He has teleported in most of his appearances and in the dragon chapter he telekinetically wielded like half a dozen swords at once.

Short tailed opossums have very limited magic but seem to rely on boosters which we've seen him consuming.

yeeah, i burned out my ability to keep track of this kind of stuff from seven years of homestuck and look what that got me

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought it was from the fight in chapter 5, but he was wounded on the leg, not there.

Plus those would have been small stinger wounds. I dunno what would make a wound like what he's sporting here.

Well smallish. Point is they'd have been punctures and that ain't a puncture wound.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's still bleeding.
Is the needle shown because he literally just applied those stitches, or does it have some other significance I'm missing?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

The Lone Badger posted:

It's still bleeding.
Is the needle shown because he literally just applied those stitches, or does it have some other significance I'm missing?

That needle has a different purpose that will become immediately clear. It appears on the cover as well.
If it had been for applying the suture, I would have drawn a 3/8 circle needle instead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Top two theories about the wound:
1) It's old but unhealing
2) People do try to assassinate Kit. They just never get close.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi posted:

That needle has a different purpose that will become immediately clear. It appears on the cover as well.
If it had been for applying the suture, I would have drawn a 3/8 circle needle instead.

Yeah if you look closely at the panel where he's pressing the needle into the...thimble thingy, you can see the outline of a glowing sphere contained within that the needle seems to be 'activating'. Astral projection/communication device, judging by the cover?

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Ricky appears to be missing the wrong arm on the cover. Is that an art goof or does the crystal ball thing reverse its image somehow?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's his evil twin brother.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
woah poppy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Lone Badger posted:

Top two theories about the wound:
1) It's old but unhealing
2) People do try to assassinate Kit. They just never get close.

I'm guessing old and unhealing because it looks like at some point it had stitches all around it and whatever state it's in now seems to be the best they can really manage, and it just leaks hence the bandages.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I have to wonder if Ricky wouldn't be far higher up the ladder than he is if he weren't a Gamba. Dude has clearly seen some poo poo, and even Pohda called him a war hero.

I'm just not certain how much, if at all, Gamba's escape from the usual opossum racism.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think all the information we have on that is:

Bobby posted:

Short-tailed opossums/Gamba only have very tiny natural reservoirs of magic, but in a world where possessing magic basically means “legally considered a person,” the difference between “some” and “less than none” is pretty big.

(http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-3/)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'm guessing old and unhealing because it looks like at some point it had stitches all around it and whatever state it's in now seems to be the best they can really manage, and it just leaks hence the bandages.

The fur around it is shaved though, which is normally something you do to clear access to a wound for treatment. Most of it should have grown back over time (except the stuff directly affected).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Unless you have to keep continually restitching the unhealing wound, in which case you'd just continue shaving the site?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Morbi was D.C. Simpson all along.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

AriadneThread posted:

yeeah, i burned out my ability to keep track of this kind of stuff from seven years of homestuck and look what that got me

a deep appreciation of the most sophisticated creative work of our generation, the Ulysses of the Internet?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

a deep appreciation of the most sophisticated creative work of our generation, the Ulysses of the Internet?

Don't hurt me like this

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think all the information we have on that is:

(http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-3/)

Yep. I saw that bit. I still would have to imagine that being measurably inferior to others means that Gamba aren't completely socially unscathed.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

PleasingFungus posted:

The comparison being that they are both too long for anyone to want to read who wasn't caught up in it at the time?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey, there's a webcomics thread. I shouldn't be surprised.

So after a long hiatus from webcomics, I've picked Broodhollow back up, and discovered Stand Still, Stay Silent & K6BD. I'm digging them all again, particularly the Lovecraftian feel of Broodhollow, and the postapocalyptic + magic themes of SSSS. Any others along those lines that I absolutely have to read? The only other long running or notable webcomics I really read back when I checked them out daily were Starslip Crisis and Spacetrawler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey, there's a webcomics thread. I shouldn't be surprised.

So after a long hiatus from webcomics, I've picked Broodhollow back up, and discovered Stand Still, Stay Silent & K6BD. I'm digging them all again, particularly the Lovecraftian feel of Broodhollow, and the postapocalyptic + magic themes of SSSS. Any others along those lines that I absolutely have to read? The only other long running or notable webcomics I really read back when I checked them out daily were Starslip Crisis and Spacetrawler.

I like Supermassive Black Hole A* a lot and believe that it should be more popular.

• Locked thread