Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Do I pick now or lose it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

you can pick whenever now, but the longer you wait the less players are available

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
You never lose your pick you just get skipped. Make your pick if you want!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

lazerwolf posted:

I think Buff is better than Pietrangelo and he should have not fell so far but not far enough for me to pick him.

He might be a little better but he's way older

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Veskit posted:

Do I pick now or lose it?

you lose it and you get mike brown

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Soooooo I dunno what Veskit's deal is, but it's been 2 hours so I'm picking. I doubt I'm taking the guy he wants anyway.

With the third pick of the draft, the Carolina Hurricanes select Brendan Gallagher.

Gallagher is a little sparkplug, at only 5'9. His size makes it easy to overlook the progress he's made since coming into the league as a 20 year old, but he's become a legitimate first line winger. He's one of the most prolific shooters in the league (13th in s/60 last year, 7th this year) and he's starting to see his assist rate climb too. He attacks the net fearlessly, has superb possession stats, and draws a ton of penalties due to his style of play.

He's also on an amazing contract, at only 3.75 for the next 5 seasons.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I know he's effective, but, lol

https://gfycat.com/RapidRectangularFlatfish

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
he can dive with the best of em

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Anton Strålman, i can get forwards later

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

1st line center Casey Cizikas

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Worst team so far after three rounds is, well, sorry Jordan, but Hamilton/Laine/Gallagher is not exactly a cup core

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone is up, I'm curious about these back to backs

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

did we place bets on what round Tbone will take Andy Greene?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Well time to think about my pick now

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

aaaauuuuuh, hurts. That one hurts. Thought he'd fly under the radar for another round. :(

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gimme Rask and Krug

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Gimme Rask and Krug

Wow did not expect these, Krug is legit but rask had a weird year and goalies this early is eh. I dunno t-bone. If tuukaa bounces back he's a good pick but I just don't think goalies matter as much in a draft like this

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Rask has the 2nd best career save percentage all-time, he'll be fine.

Giroux
Toews

Krug

Rask

Krug isn't really a #1 all-around, but he is offensively, so hopefully I can get a real solid minutes eating #2 guy. Rask is imo still a top 5 goalie in the NHL, and a big difference maker potentially. Giroux/Toews should be tough for any team to handle provided I can find good value at wing late in the draft like last year (sup Panarin). This is pretty clearly a win now team, but it's not particularly old either (28/28/25/29).

At any rate this is better than taking Eric Staal last year in the 3rd.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 11, 2016

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

this is prob too early but i really want him and he's not surviving another 60 picks so gimme tomᚠhertl

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 11, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Carolina selects Rasmus Ristolainen.

I'm clearly going for a young team here, so let's pick another big defenseman to build around. Rasmus is 6'4 and coming off a season where he put up 41 points and played nearly 2100 minutes (25+ minutes / night). Yeah, his possession stats weren't very good, but he's a 21 year old being asked to anchor a really lovely team's defense, and his usage stats indicate that he was very much relied on to be the defensive guy with very heavy defensive zone usage and a high quality of competition. Putting some context into those usage stats: In the history of tracking time on ice there have been only four seasons where a player 21 or younger played 2000+ minutes, and Rasmus has one of them (the other are EK, Phaneuf and Doughty). He played the 15th most ES ice time among all defenders this season. At 21.

The numbers underlying his scoring stats indicate that he hasn't reached his peak (he's had below average on ice shooting) and his own shot generation (2.46 s / game last year) means that he could have a serious breakout season if some puck luck goes his way.

His contract is up this summer which puts him in an interesting position. If I had to guess, Buffalo will try to lock him down to something between what Seth Jones got last summer, and what Ekblad got this summer. Somewhere in the 44-50 million / 8 year range.

This puts me at:

Laine (6'4) - ? - Gallagher (5'9)

? - Hamilton (6'6)
? - Ristolainen (6'4)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
After Rask's weird year I think you could've risked waiting 'til your next picks to grab him, but he is still Rask, so. If he's the guy you want, it's better to not risk waiting for him to come around.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I picked Henrik Sedin. I did it cause I needed a center, and I was pressured, and I had to. Henrik is boring. He will not be on any promotional material, he's not a defenseman, his nickname is _. He's Henrick_Sedin, because he's a loving _ of a personality.

NOW ON THE OTHER HAND I REALLY NEEDED A YOUNG, UP AND COMING DMAN TO REALLY ROOT THE TEAM AND GIVE IT MORE PERSONALITY, AND BE AWESOME.

Lets welcome to the 2016 Boston Bruins Doctor Terror, MD, AKA, MATT DUMBBAAAAAAAAAAA. DOCTOR TERROR MD

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

e: Meant to say that Dumba is a bad pick.

Brodeur's Nanny gave me his list so I could pick for him but I don't know if he's around so.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually never mind, I'm reasonably certain that Brodeur's Nanny isn't on the west coast so he said he'll take Zach Parise because a jilted Devils fan still pines for the lost scoring wingers of yore or something.

And I was going to take a younger winger but I changed my mind and decided to pick Samson Reinhart because of his superpower-granting flowing locks and also because he's 20 and score 23G+18A in his rookie season on a bad team so I project him to score 60+G by his third season.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

this is prob too early but i really want him and he's not surviving another 60 picks so gimme tomᚠhertl

he's pretty good, knee is concerning though

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

T-Bone posted:

Gimme Rask and Krug

Fuuuuuuuck you I hope hoping he came back

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

lazerwolf is up at 10 followed by Technetium then Metapod. here is to a fun day of picking and joy folks

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hah I actually had second thoughts on my pick but am still happy with Parise. I couldn't help having him play with Bergeron and having three 30-goal forwards is really nice to go along with Doughty.

Zach has a crap contract and he will play only 70 games but he does everything well.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also I am on the west coast. I was just asleep.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Parise-Bergeron-Simmonds

Doughty

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Let's kick off draft day!

With their 4th round pick, Minnesota Wild select defenseman, Nick "Ledd Zeppelin" Leddy

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

eXXon posted:

I'm running a business on top of trying to have a good team. Dumba will put people in seats, Dumba is trending upward and there's no reason why he won't be a 40 point d-man this season, and also dumba is cheap.

Cheeaaaappppp! 850k is nothing for all these qualities it is a cap team you know.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It's hard to go over the cap though. Take the best players initially and then manage your assets more carefully as you look for pluggers.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

It's hard to go over the cap though. Take the best players initially and then manage your assets more carefully as you look for pluggers.

So what you're saying is if I'm foolish with my money the rest of the time like a real GM, then dumba was a great pick?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

No, I am saying that I think it's wise to use the first few picks you have on developing a core of the best possible players. Saving money on Dumba instead of choosing several other D who are young and a lot better is a worse strategy than drafting a better D now for more money and going cheap on your role players because those skills are more abundant.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It's a great strategy, only if he doesn't pick the player I want.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Technetium's 2 hours is up, Metapod can pick

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

eXXon posted:

so would Badba be a dumb pick

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Give me William Nylander because I feel like being a homer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Maybe a round too early for him but he is gonna be a stud.

• Locked thread