Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just cause Hank hit Janet in the 616 comics once doesn't mean that has to be a constant across every single universe. They can just this once make him just kind of a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uncle Ben dying, super soldier experimentation, and Hank Pym slapping his wife.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Peter Parker once hit Mary Jane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much ever married period in the Marvel universe has hit their wife at least once and often done other lovely things. The only reason it is the Hank Pym Story is because Hank Pym The Human Garbage Fire is basically the only interesting thing anyone can think to do with him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking about the Guardians set photos that showed a Simon Williams film fest, and thought maybe the last act of the movie takes place on earth. Whoever the villain is, is persued by the guardians to earth, and they get trapped there. Avengers 3 opens with the Guardians on earth and Tony and his team confronting them while they wonder around NYC.

Reed Richards hit Sue way more than Hank ever did to Jan, but no one remembers that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There are still two or three infinity gems that we haven't seen and need to get to earth by infinity war, right? Or have I already lost track?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We've seen the Cosmic Cube/Tesseract, the thing from Thor 2, and the Gem from GotG. I may be forgetting something but I think that's it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

We've seen the Cosmic Cube/Tesseract, the thing from Thor 2, and the Gem from GotG. I may be forgetting something but I think that's it.

The Tesseract, the Aether, the Orb, and Loki's sceptre, unless I'm mistaken. Doctor Strange will probably introduce one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And the one that was on Loki's staff, and now Vision's forehead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Loki's staff / Vision's skullgem.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i figure Dr Strange will feature one, and Thanos probably already has more than the, I want to saw the Mind Gem was on Loki's staff?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mind Gem is in Vision

Edit: wow I left this open too long

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Eye of Agamotto is likely to be one. Then the other can be in Guardians 2 or something.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Phylodox posted:

The Tesseract, the Aether, the Orb, and Loki's sceptre, unless I'm mistaken. Doctor Strange will probably introduce one.

(What I assume will be) Strange's Eye of Agamotto is glowing green, one of the missing gem colors. If the film gems have individual identities, I'm betting the Eye is the soul gem. Unless Vision's headrock is the soul, not mind, gem—then I'm guessing Strange has the reality gem.

We haven't seen any good candidate for the time gem, I think, so I'm holding out hope for GotG2 being a time-travel adventure.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Squizzle posted:

We haven't seen any good candidate for the time gem, I think, so I'm holding out hope for GotG2 being a time-travel adventure.

I don't know if that would be a good idea or not. Given that Guardians of the Galaxy was entirely about accepting and letting go of the past, I feel like having the sequel be about being able to travel to the past might be either retreading or invalidating the message of the first movie.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Squizzle posted:

(What I assume will be) Strange's Eye of Agamotto is glowing green, one of the missing gem colors. If the film gems have individual identities, I'm betting the Eye is the soul gem. Unless Vision's headrock is the soul, not mind, gem—then I'm guessing Strange has the reality gem.

The Aether from Thor 2 was the Soul Gem, I believe.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would not be surprised if the entirety of IW part 1 is protecting the final infinity stone from falling into Thanos' grasp, especially if that one ends up being the Time Gem.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
According to Wikipedia (so, y'know...), the Tesseract is the Space Gem, the Aether is the Reality Gem, the Orb is the Power Gem, and Vision's bindi is the Mind Gem. That leaves the Time and Soul gems. Given the supernatural nature of Doctor Strange, my money would be on the Eye of Agamotto being the Soul Gem.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Phylodox posted:

According to Wikipedia (so, y'know...), the Tesseract is the Space Gem, the Aether is the Reality Gem, the Orb is the Power Gem, and Vision's bindi is the Mind Gem. That leaves the Time and Soul gems. Given the supernatural nature of Doctor Strange, my money would be on the Eye of Agamotto being the Soul Gem.

They way Feige talked about Strange's powers and how it factors into probabilities makes me think that gem is the Time one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much ever married period in the Marvel universe has hit their wife at least once and often done other lovely things. The only reason

Reed's slapped Sue more times than Ben's become human again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Gunn has said that the whole infinity gem and larger MCU story won't be touched on in Guardians 2. He's looking for a smaller, more personal story.

Considering Nebula and Yondu are joining up with the team, and they're going to meet Star-Lord's father, it's probably going to be focused on them coming together as a family. Which is a good progression from a collection of misfits as they were in the first film.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also the best Guardian, Mantis, will be there.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Gunn has said that the whole infinity gem and larger MCU story won't be touched on in Guardians 2. He's looking for a smaller, more personal story.

Considering Nebula and Yondu are joining up with the team, and they're going to meet Star-Lord's father, it's probably going to be focused on them coming together as a family. Which is a good progression from a collection of misfits as they were in the first film.

Welp, there goes that thought. I'm sure GotG2 will own bones either way.

Toxxupation posted:

best Guardian, Mantis

Justify this, please.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

She's a telepathic green alien Asian bug lady who knows all Kung Fu ever, with a sweet costume. That should be all the justification you need.

I mean personally I like her strangely chipper and relaxed personality, I like that she's probably the most adjusted and definitely the nicest of the guardians, I like how being a telepath gives Cosmo somebody to relate to (and the Mantis/Cosmo telepathy conversations always ruled), and I like that she's basically a force of serenity around which all the crazy assholes that her teammates rely on. She's basically the straight man of the guardians and she's able to be the straight man without being boring or a stick-up-the-rear end goody two shoes (Scott Summers), and she feels like one of the few Asian superheroes I've read that come across as genuinely cool. As an Asian person I've always really liked Mantis.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mantis pretty easily became my favorite Guardian after I was disappointed with how Phyla-Vell turned out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

She was a good Quasar, and her and Moondragon's relationship was pretty great, and I really liked her as Martyr but yeah she's basically completely forgotten.

I actually thought about it more outside of hyperbole/race bias since she's one of the few Asian superheroes in existence, but trying to determine a "best" Guardian is incredibly difficult considering the lineup of the team constantly gains and loses dudes outside the core five from the movie. So like, I would consider Mantis the best Guardian as in the best character who is mostly defined by their association with the Guardians, but she's definitely not the best character to have carried the title, considering Tony Stark and Carol Danvers and Ben Grimm and Flash Thompson have been or are technically Guardians. And then there's characters like Angela or Bug who are great characters that never got enough focus in the book while on the team to be seriously considered for it, or characters like Cosmo or Richard Ryder who were never technically Guardians but were so closely associated with them they mine as well be, and if so do you count them?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

People complain about what Iron Man 3 did to Mandarin, but its treatment of AIM was way poorer.

They fixed the mandarin, but no one cares about loving AIM.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about the Guardians set photos that showed a Simon Williams film fest, and thought maybe the last act of the movie takes place on earth. Whoever the villain is, is persued by the guardians to earth, and they get trapped there. Avengers 3 opens with the Guardians on earth and Tony and his team confronting them while they wonder around NYC.

Reed Richards hit Sue way more than Hank ever did to Jan, but no one remembers that.

Hank hitting Janet was actually portrayed as a bad thing, while Reed was just him keeping that uppity bitch in her place.

Everyone remembers how cartoonishly sexist FF was.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Am I the only one who thinks marvel is going to replace Adam warlock with Dr strange in the infinity war saga or is that cocoon theory still verified?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If anyone's replacing Adam Warlock it's gonna be the guy with an infinity gem in his forehead.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

But it ain't no Souly gem!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really unclear what any of the gems even are. I woulda thought loki's mind control staff would have the mind gem in it, but no, it appears to be time or reality.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lurdiak posted:

It's really unclear what any of the gems even are. I woulda thought loki's mind control staff would have the mind gem in it, but no, it appears to be time or reality.

Loki's mind staff did have the mind gem in it.

It's currently embedded in Vision's forehead.

Guardians Orb thingy -> Power Gem
Aether from Thor 2 -> Reality
Tesseract -> Space
Loki's Staff/Vision's head -> Mind.

Adam Warlock is always tied to the Soul stone, so if he actually shows up in Guardians 2 he probably has it.(From what I remember all Gunn has said is that Thanos won't really be in Guardians 2, not that any Gems won't show up)

Time is probably in Strange as previously stated.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I know the breakdown in the post above is the official word but it always made more sense to me to have Aether be Power, Orb be Soul (since it kills living things while leaving nonliving things intact), and the Eye be Reality. Nothing about the Aether really screamed "Reality Gem" to me while on the other hand you'd think the Eye of Agamotto would be the prime candidate for it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Argue posted:

I know the breakdown in the post above is the official word but it always made more sense to me to have Aether be Power, Orb be Soul (since it kills living things while leaving nonliving things intact), and the Eye be Reality. Nothing about the Aether really screamed "Reality Gem" to me while on the other hand you'd think the Eye of Agamotto would be the prime candidate for it.

Wasn't Malekith, like regrowing limbs, and ripping open holes in reality and poo poo during that final fight.

It's been a long time since I've seen Thor 2 so I very well could be mistaken.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 11, 2016

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Argue posted:

The orb destroyed the Collector's gallery in an impossible-to-miss catastrophic purple explosion. There is nothing in the movie that suggests it only kills living things.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I feel like Thanos HAS to have like one backup gem on hand. You don't hand out two of those things to lackies without a spare!

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

You gotta spend gems to make gems! Tbh I'd love to see the time gem in GotG, cause I wanna see a baby rocket pick up his first handgun.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thanos is self-destructive anyway, so him sending a stone away fits him fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Dexo posted:

Wasn't Malekith, like regrowing limbs, and ripping open holes in reality and poo poo during that final fight.

It's been a long time since I've seen Thor 2 so I very well could be mistaken.

I just rewatched it a couple days ago. The holes in reality were caused by the Convergence of the Nine Realms, Malekith was just taking advantage of that to use the Aether to destroy everything.

I don't think he ever regrew any limbs.

• Locked thread