Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

LionYeti posted:

Yeah its intentionally cut off but pick ups are like hearts and pennies not actual item pedestals.

Sorry, for some reason I don't understand what this means. It's probably me, I'm quite sleep deprived at the moment. Can anyone clarify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

chippy posted:

Sorry, for some reason I don't understand what this means. It's probably me, I'm quite sleep deprived at the moment. Can anyone clarify?

The effect of the currently unknown item 'Void' will have something to do with "pickups" which are key, coins, hearts, bomb, trinkets, pills, and cards. We don't yet know how it will affect them though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hello, I bought Rebirth for the 3DS and for the love of God is there any way of getting the Bandage Girl achievment without tearing my hair out?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Hello, I bought Rebirth for the 3DS and for the love of God is there any way of getting the Bandage Girl achievment without tearing my hair out?

the 3ds doesn't have afterbirth, right?

if so then the answer is no. you can either hope for all four horsemen in a full run that all give you a ball of bandages instead of a cube of meat and that conquest doesn't show up (I forget if the headless horseman can gently caress you over as well), or you can try to set up an infinite reroll build and find the monster manual. it's 100% rng

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Balls. Sad part is, I got the achievment for building Super Meat Boy without even trying. That's how I found out about Bandage Girl. Well, I've got my fingers crossed they'll add Afterbirth as DLC eventually. Hopefully I can carry over my data, it took me ages to get this far.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Eden streaks might not feel like a chore if the starts were more balanced... somehow. I had one run that spanned an hour, and was really challenging to piece together but by the end I was rewarded with a powerful run where I didn't even get to see Blue Baby's health drop because he died so fast. The next run I started with Dunce Cap, two spirit hearts, and the worst rate of fire and damage you could imagine. Can you imagine fighting Turdlings with that? I just gave up after a while so I didn't have to die of boredom. I want more challenging runs and less runs that are doomed from the start. I'm not CobaltStreak, I'm not being paid to win.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Balls. Sad part is, I got the achievment for building Super Meat Boy without even trying. That's how I found out about Bandage Girl. Well, I've got my fingers crossed they'll add Afterbirth as DLC eventually. Hopefully I can carry over my data, it took me ages to get this far.

The ads is probably never going to get afterbirth because Nicalis is a terrible developer.

BJPaskoff posted:

Eden streaks might not feel like a chore if the starts were more balanced... somehow. I had one run that spanned an hour, and was really challenging to piece together but by the end I was rewarded with a powerful run where I didn't even get to see Blue Baby's health drop because he died so fast. The next run I started with Dunce Cap, two spirit hearts, and the worst rate of fire and damage you could imagine. Can you imagine fighting Turdlings with that? I just gave up after a while so I didn't have to die of boredom. I want more challenging runs and less runs that are doomed from the start. I'm not CobaltStreak, I'm not being paid to win.

High starting variance is the whole point of Eden. If you want balanced starts you play some other character.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I prefer random streaks to Eden streaks even though the game loves to give me the loving keeper on that poo poo.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I have to give the game's RNG credit, it rolls in your favor about as often as it screws you. Yesterday I was struggling to complete the Cursed! challenge but lo and behold, the Holy Relic spawns right next to the starting room. It went from a tricky struggle to keep your health up to a complete joke.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Uhh I just started a hard run as Isaac and had epic fetus from the start :wtf:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Did you pick up Eden's Blessing on the previous run?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
http://bindingofisaac.com/post/146574617464/to-achieve-or-not-to-achieve

quote:

as many of you know the unlock system is pretty specific, each character has a set of goals (bosses to kill at least once) and when said goals are completed an icon appears next to them at the start screen and an item is unlocked and shuffled into the mix.

i recently posted on twitter my biggest dilemma is that since ab+ isnt as big of an expansion than afterbirth was, yet features 2 more “goals” and a new character.. as well as new challenges each with its own unlock/achievement im going to be locking close to half of the new items in it.

i wasnt sure how fans would feel about this.. but it turns out an overwhelming number of you want more locked items, or simply dont care about them being locked or not.

it got me thinking… if achievements and unlocking items via new goals is something isaac fans really enjoy, why not put even more focus on this aspect of the game in ab+?

so aside from the buttload of new achievements we are adding to afterbirth +, im going the extra mile and adding 10 more non-goal related achievements that should keep things pretty interesting.

i have around 5 good ones i wanna do that revolve around features you dont know about yet.. but i still have room for 5 more, and thats where you guys come in.

i want the fans to design 5 solid and fun “sidequest” achievements. old version of isaac featured stuff like, iron man achievements (not taking damage in a chapter) and kill X achievements.. i want some out of the box ideas like these but ones that really change the way you play, are difficult, interesting and fun.

so what achievements do you wanna see added? post your ideas on reddit here > https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/4q618x/fan_made_achievements_for_ab/

note up ones you love, vote down ones you hate and ill added 10 new little unlockable additions to reward you guys with when you complete said achievements!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UJVI4soGw8

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

senrath posted:

Did you pick up Eden's Blessing on the previous run?

Yes, didn't know it did that.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

KingShiro posted:

Yes, didn't know it did that.

Yeah, it gives you a random item on your next run in addition to tears up on your current one.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Eden's blessing is a tears up? Well poo poo.

In other news: Keeper is hard :-I

I've trying for weeks now to win with him. Only got one run where I was very powerful, but I made the mistake of trying Hush. I had 9 lives and at the end I got very very close to winning but still died.

Still only have one win over mom on my post-it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

uXs posted:

Eden's blessing is a tears up? Well poo poo.

In other news: Keeper is hard :-I

I've trying for weeks now to win with him. Only got one run where I was very powerful, but I made the mistake of trying Hush. I had 9 lives and at the end I got very very close to winning but still died.

Still only have one win over mom on my post-it.

I've yet to have one decent run with the Keeper. I really enjoy The Lost(especially since the Holy Mantle update), but Keeper? No dice.

Rangpur posted:

I have to give the game's RNG credit, it rolls in your favor about as often as it screws you. Yesterday I was struggling to complete the Cursed! challenge but lo and behold, the Holy Relic spawns right next to the starting room. It went from a tricky struggle to keep your health up to a complete joke.

I thought I was GUARANTEED to win the SPEED challenge. Holy Mantle and Lil' Brimstone in the forst two treasure rooms I found. 2nd to last boss was the loving Bloat who wiped most of my hearts. This loving game.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Y'all ready for a crazy Ludo seed?

4M90 EPYG
(normal)

Crawlspace on the 2nd floor with dead eye at which point everything starts melting. Should work for any character. You'll get ludo / triple shot / guillotine / dunce cap without any rerolls and you can complete conjoined by using a #4 dice room to re-roll the boss item on womb 1 to get lil' steven. I might replay the seed as azazel to see how crazy things get.

If you do play isaac go up immediately and re-roll the curse room and then re-roll the first floor boss item when you get a 2nd charge.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

I thought I was GUARANTEED to win the SPEED challenge. Holy Mantle and Lil' Brimstone in the forst two treasure rooms I found. 2nd to last boss was the loving Bloat who wiped most of my hearts. This loving game.
More tales from the RNG: finally managed to assemble the key to fighting Mega Satan for the first time, got there with some powerhouse tears. But the Dark Room hit me with Curse of the Blind, so when I open the treasure chests one of them's a giant question mark. I figure, what's the worst that could happen? And it's that loving dead cat! I drop to 1 red heart, losing six of my 12 and that was the end of that run. Goddammit.

Anyway, is there a trick to killing him before he spawns the sins or do you have to beat all of them to go back to damaging him?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Rangpur posted:

that loving dead cat!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rangpur posted:

More tales from the RNG: finally managed to assemble the key to fighting Mega Satan for the first time, got there with some powerhouse tears. But the Dark Room hit me with Curse of the Blind, so when I open the treasure chests one of them's a giant question mark. I figure, what's the worst that could happen? And it's that loving dead cat! I drop to 1 red heart, losing six of my 12 and that was the end of that run. Goddammit.

Anyway, is there a trick to killing him before he spawns the sins or do you have to beat all of them to go back to damaging him?

You want to keep damaging him and avoid the random added sins until he backs off. He won't spawn the harbingers/super sins/angels until you kill the random adds.

If you're in the bottom half of the room and Mega Satan's hands are intact, they'll shield his face, but if you're closer to him they move to either side and give you a better shot. Ignoring the hands and going for his face is riskier but speeds things up a lot.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Welp, after 40+ hours of attempts, I got SPEED done. With tech X, health pills, a bunch of hearts and a few key mushrooms and a clutch Emperor card on Womb 2.

So many runs cut short by bs large rooms and massive Wombs. gently caress that challenge. Might just retire on that one alone.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
This is the most amusing game-losing reroll I've had in recent memory:

Soy milk + fire mind means near-constant explosions when hitting enemies. Add to this my reflection, dead onion, and crickets body so I have terrible range. With crickets body when a fire mind explosion happens, every splash tear also explodes. You can't be anywhere near what you are shooting at because every fire mind explosion shoots out more explosions. That's bad enough, only being able to fire safely by slinging tears, but I also had marked and couldn't stop firing and taking damage as a result. It was utterly hopeless but pretty funny.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
play keeper
get a bunch of damage and tears ups
find swallowed penny
run into a devil deal for no reason
die 2 rooms afterwards
:downsgun:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hang on, I just beat the game on Hard for the first time and apparently my reward is a new co-op option... on a version of the game that has no co-op. Not much bloody point to it then, is there? Still need to defeat Mega-Satan & unlock The Lost, but now that I've finished all the Challenges I think I'm done with Isaac for a while. Shame it looks like I'll never get to play the definitive version. Fun game though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's co-op. All that it is though is player two presses start, steals one of your hearts, and they pilot a flying baby. They get a different baby at random, and some of them do things.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Not on the 3DS, which is the version I'm playing. In fact, I think it's the only version that doesn't have co-op.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Activating the ? Card though Blank Card teleports you to the I Am Error room FYI

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

KingShiro posted:

Uhh I just started a hard run as Isaac and had epic fetus from the start :wtf:

You rerolled into Eden's Blessing on the run before.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yikes - I'm at 990 hours of BoI played in Steam. I'm just yet to find a game I can kick back in my chair with a controller and play with no big load times and that I can be half watching a video at the same time on my other monitor.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

Yikes - I'm at 990 hours of BoI played in Steam. I'm just yet to find a game I can kick back in my chair with a controller and play with no big load times and that I can be half watching a video at the same time on my other monitor.

1025 here. Yeah, I like that I can load it up instantly and watch videos also. It's all muscle memory at this point, I can pretty much watch whatever is on the other monitor more than the game itself.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thanks for the bombs, Little Horn. You're a pal.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That Windows 2000 title bar you got going there is certainly something.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I, too, enjoy the classic windows desktop settings. You kids and your newfangled web 2.0 will never understand.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Will that new update be coming to the consoles? I only touch my PC these days when I'm working.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Man, I fuckin' hope so. The game scratches an itch I didn't even know I had. Speaking of which...

F1GE
TLRZ

This was probably the most ridiculous set-up I've ever had without resorting to a reroll room. Spirit of Night + The Nail in devil deals, combined with Tiny Planet and Deathscythe, and a Lump of Coal later on. You now have permanent flight, and are surrounded by a constant ring of scythes that go through enemies and obstacles alike, and get bigger the longer they orbit without hitting anything. Pyromaniac too, but by that point I didn't even need it. Would have been a great time to kill Mega Satan... pity I couldn't put the key together.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Gromit posted:

I'm just yet to find a game I can kick back in my chair with a controller and play with no big load times and that I can be half watching a video at the same time on my other monitor.

Word up. I don't watch a whole lot of tv these days, so it's a way to catch up while I binge through 3 hours of a day or night. Because why be productive :D

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

SaviourX posted:

Word up. I don't watch a whole lot of tv these days, so it's a way to catch up while I binge through 3 hours of a day or night. Because why be productive :D

I don't think I've ever played while not watching TV or netflix also

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Finally, after many, many (many many) failed attempts I managed to beat the Boss Rush on hard with The Lost. I'm not naturally inclined to playing fast, I much prefer to chill out and wring everything I possibly can out of each level before moving on. A combination of Glass Cannon, Epic Fetus and Brimstone more or less handed me the boss rush which was nice. Except what I didnt realise is that Afterbirth changed the unlock requirements for the Godhead so I still need to beat Mega Satan and Ultra Greed with the goddamn lost. (Although I had major issues with the boss rush with him, I could either get there in time underpowered to beat it or have a loadout to beat it but slightly too slow, on one of my "slightly too slow to fight the boss rush" attempts I did go to beat Hush by the skin of my teeth (while simultainiously being Guppy, Beelzebub, Bob and Leviathan), so thats something at least).

The main pain in the arse will probably be getting the key to fight Mega Satan, I can beat my head off greed mode until I get a set up that'll let me kill ultra greed, each attempt wont take too long I wouldnt think.

I'm mainly just posting because motherfucker I thought I was about to unlock the last thing I needed for trophy purposes, but if anyone has any great tips for me I'll take them (I have beaten mega satan a couple of times pre-afterbirth, either because I fluked into geting the angel rooms or because I picked up dads key and decided to go for it. And I've unlocked the keeper so I'm aware of general greed mode strategies). I really thought that after the boss rush all I'd have left to do would be playing until I saw godhead/the d100. At least with what Ive got left to do to unlock it I can take my time I suppose.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Shiiit. Skipping the power ups from devil rooms for angel rooms sounds like a royal pain in the dick. Not even close to trying for a lost mega-satan run so never thought about that before.

It'd probably take forever to randomly get Dad's Key AND a good build to take on US too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
The runs where you make it into the Chest with the Blank Card, Deep Pockets or the Starter Deck, and both Perthro and Jera runes are the Best Runs.

Any run where you can abuse Blank Card with Jera gets hilarious fast once you find a battery to dupe. Though I learned that a chest duplicated with Jera will have the same contents as the original.