Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mr Dog posted:

I'd much rather install a service written in Go on my server than one written in loving PHP

lol if oyur only options are php or go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mr Dog posted:

I'd much rather install a service written in Go on my server than one written in loving PHP

such a high bar to pass

i did an interview once where i learned that "we're a php shop" and i just had to nod and say "uh huh" and oh god why

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

i mean sure, it's not the very bottom of the barrel i guess.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
so what would you use for a little service that communicates over http

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

this cant be said in a world where checked exceptions exist

uncurable mlady posted:

heres my thoughts on go

- not every language should solve every problem
- by and large, when you try to solve every possible problem with a language, you end up with an awful mess that ends up creating its own special hell of problems
- go is good at the things go is good at (fairly small, statically linked binaries) and bad at other things
- that doesn't make go bad, it just makes it a bad tool for some jobs

checked exceptions are good and go is bad at every scenario other than "i need a bad fad language from a company that's never finished a product"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

or a small command line app that talks to said service, especially one you want to run cross platform easily

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

FORTRAN so it can crunch the numbers when ddos hits

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

checked exceptions are good and go is bad at every scenario other than "i need a bad fad language from a company that's never finished a product"

persuasive arguments from someone who thinks Windows is a server os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its the best server os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but go on, keep using go on Linux. lmao.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its the best server os

nah

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I'll use everything on Linux if I can help it, it's a much better server OS than windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. I cant believe people still think that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

I'll use everything on Linux if I can help it, it's a much better server OS than windows
how is mac for servers nowadays. or, to that matter, ever at all since os x times

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Go's best usage is probably as a small CLI app that needs some amount of concurrency because just dropping a binary is cool.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

kalstrams posted:

how is mac for servers nowadays. or, to that matter, ever at all since os x times

remember when apple actually sold OSX servers lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/xserve/specs/xserve-intel-nehalem-xeon-2.26-2009-quad-specs.html

$3000 for a quad core Nehalem Xeon with 3 gigs of ram and 160 gig hard drive

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

remember when apple actually sold OSX servers lol
ive never heard of apple server in actualy deployment, but i remember seeing some parts somewhere last decade

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

my middle school used them, they sucked

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

or a small command line app that talks to said service, especially one you want to run cross platform easily

haskell

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

kalstrams posted:

some ios shops throw a mac mini in the closet with jenkins on it.

maybe itunes runs on mac servers (unless the java port of webobjects runs elsewhere? or am I talking out my rear end)

that's probably it

the os probably works fine as a server but the hardware is such a waste of $ if you're not directly touching it daily

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have a few Apple WGS kits new in box somewhere

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

persuasive arguments from someone who thinks Windows is a server os

shots fired

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MononcQc posted:

Go's best usage is probably as a small CLI app that needs some amount of concurrency because just dropping a binary is cool.

id pictured it being best as for api servers

(guess what company spends a lot of effort building api servers)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pokeyman posted:

some ios shops throw a mac mini in the closet with jenkins on it.

maybe itunes runs on mac servers (unless the java port of webobjects runs elsewhere? or am I talking out my rear end)

that's probably it

the os probably works fine as a server but the hardware is such a waste of $ if you're not directly touching it daily

yeah the only use case for a non-laptop mac ive seen in the last 4-5 years has been 'we have something that needs to be built on a mac'

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
what was that quote about google designing go for lovely programmers fresh out of college?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

what was that quote about google designing go for lovely programmers fresh out of college?

you mean this?

Rob Pike, of course posted:

The key point here is our programmers are Googlers, they’re not researchers. They’re typically, fairly young, fresh out of school, probably learned Java, maybe learned C or C++, probably learned Python. They’re not capable of understanding a brilliant language but we want to use them to build good software. So, the language that we give them has to be easy for them to understand and easy to adopt.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

honestly go probably wouldn't annoy me so much if rob pike wasn't such a condescending prick about why it's the way it is.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

comedyblissoption posted:

some people prefer for loops over filter, map, fold, iterators, etc.

they're wrong, of course

even java of all languages has admitted their mistake

even guy steele has said fold is rubbish

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if you wouldn''t write it in C, you shouldn't write it in golang

uncurable mlady posted:

what ever the team is comfortable in tbh

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

tef posted:

he was also derisive of continued use of emacs and he was wrong there too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tef posted:

fold is good

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

what even is the point of go

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have a few Apple WGS kits new in box somewhere

the full WGS 95 or just the WGS board

because either way those are worth money now, esp new in box

also if you have a full WGS 95, and you want to get rid of it, PM me (not kidding)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toady posted:

to make people feel superior to mere chess players

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

to make people feel superior to mere chess players

nice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Toady posted:

It's a garbage collected language for people who would otherwise be using C by default for unix programming.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

In practice go is the escape hatch python users who want more concurrency or speed are using afaict

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Toady posted:

"I want to have something newer than 1982 to talk about on Hacker News, but I don't want to actually learn anything new."

or alternatively

"drat, I can't believe how little those PHP shop owners get away with paying their code monkeys! Sure I've got all these dumb college grads, but they've learnt serious languages like Java or C++, so if they gain any experience they'll soon command respectable salaries *shudder*. Hmm, how do I get them to code for me without any danger of them learning marketable skills?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yall should spend a month programming only in go. it's a terrible language on paper but in practice it's pretty nice.

• Locked thread