Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Don't do that then I guess? There is so much stuff to do that you don't really have to gently caress with higher level stuff unless you are looking for ways not to have fun. The byways ghouls are a great example...I came across them while exploring PoIs at level 12. I ran away and came back at level 23 and did the quest, having done a dozen other ones in the meantime. Maybe not every game intends to be broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Xander77 posted:

I've often killed enemies 10 levels higher, but it was always an unrewarding chore.

I think it's fun once you get archgriffin decoction, so that it doesn't take half an hour to whittle it down, but when do you kill your first archgriffin? I remember the level 35 contract is doable around level 25.

Just finished B&W. What a great story. People seem to prefer HoS ITT, but Regis was one of my favorite characters in the books, and he was characterized perfectly.

However, my house was bugged so I couldn't hang up my van Rogh or a bunch of my nicest non-witcher armor, so 0/10, I demand a refund.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jack of Hearts posted:

Just finished B&W. What a great story. People seem to prefer HoS ITT, but Regis was one of my favorite characters in the books, and he was characterized perfectly.

I liked hanging out with Shani and her scenes(beyond the scenes in the boat :getin:), but overall I found Heart of Stone to be kinda dull. I'd say it was pretty okay. It did have some neat bits, but blah with Olgierd, and what a way to make a kinda cool evil ghost dude become a joke by the end.

I had just come off the pretty amazing gut-punch of the vanilla ending, though, so that may have colored my expectations.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 11, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Russad posted:

I don't really see how that's relevant, when the quests are generally interesting and worth doing anyway? I'm sure there are a few, but I can't think of a single quest in my 140+ hours with the game where I've thought "wow, can't believe I wasted my time doing that". There's typically some exploration, or an interesting monster to fight, or a neat bit of story. I've never finished a quest and thought "I wish that gave me more XP". There's a limit to the number of skills you can equip anyway, so unless you're running mods, there's a soft cap on how much levels get you anyway.

Except a lot of quests, as I said in the part of my post you snipped out, are basically the same.

Here's one I just did this morning: while trying to clean up all the map question marks in Velen, I cleared out a settlement and a quest marker came up. Woman's husband was missing, he had last been seen setting traps. I went 100 feet or meters or whatever, killed the wild dogs near the body of the dead husband, inspected husband to have Geralt say "yup, dogs got him", and went back. I got to refuse the money, which I did not because I thought Geralt did a bad job but because the sidequest was :effort:

Or a few days ago: I stumbled into a bookshop and the owner said that someone left a note for me. I wonder who it could be? Searched the books and eventually found it signed by someone I hadn't heard of, apparently he was in the first game. They may as well leave out quests like this because I thought maybe it was Iorveth or Saskia or some other random NPC I may have remembered from the Witcher game that people actually played.

Or the sidequest where you agree to help repair religious totems and run across a bunch of /r/atheism rejects.

Everyone says "the sidequests are awesome, like Trollolo :buddy:" but most aren't. The spreadsheet someone posted earlier has 200 secondary quests, witcher contracts, and treasure hunts, how many do you actually remember?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

Everyone says "the sidequests are awesome, like Trollolo :buddy:" but most aren't. The spreadsheet someone posted earlier has 200 secondary quests, witcher contracts, and treasure hunts, how many do you actually remember?

I really regret not having the troll draw his own army insignia. Geralt has all the artistic skill of an epileptic six-year old. :allears:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Had Dandelion's Blunt Prop Sword equipped for the past hour and a half, not realizing. zzz

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Agree to disagree then. From lamp shading of standard fetch quests (yeah, sure, I'll find your pan, lady), to random moral choices (do I let this tied up dude go or leave him to rot?), to random missing peasants. It didn't feel like filler, it felt like a living, breathing world. Even the witcher gear hunts brought me to areas I probably wouldn't have bothered with on my own, and usually had other stuff in the area worth checking out. I just can't fathom going "a bloo bloo, I got meaningful content but only 2 xp. I got screwed!"

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Drifter posted:

I liked hanging out with Shani and her scenes(beyond the scenes in the boat :getin:), but overall I found Heart of Stone to be kinda dull. I'd say it was pretty okay. It did have some neat bits, but blah with Olgierd, and what a way to make a kinda cool evil ghost dude become a joke by the end.

I had just come off the pretty amazing gut-punch of the vanilla ending, though, so that may have colored my expectations.

Yeah, I agree. I really hated the part where I had to fight the devil, rob a vault, and party with a ghost. Probably the worst part of the DLC was all the amazingly well done bosses, new areas, and new characters. CDPR really pisses me off sometimes.

Not, you loving moron.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Chuck Finley posted:

Yeah, I agree. I really hated the part where I had to fight the devil, rob a vault, and party with a ghost. Probably the worst part of the DLC was all the amazingly well done bosses, new areas, and new characters. CDPR really pisses me off sometimes.

Not, you loving moron.

This is a cool thread about a great videogame, please do not be so angry. Is there a bbcode for axii?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just ignore the XP. Like, that is how I solved the whole XP problem, I just ignored it because it really doesn't matter. The Witcher is not a sand box game and you can't break it open like a sandbox game. It uses XP and levels to guide you and gate you and not as a reward. Like, if the XP system bugs you it is because you want a different game and not because it is inherently bad. It just is not the system you want.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Russad posted:

Agree to disagree then. From lamp shading of standard fetch quests (yeah, sure, I'll find your pan, lady), to random moral choices (do I let this tied up dude go or leave him to rot?), to random missing peasants. It didn't feel like filler, it felt like a living, breathing world. Even the witcher gear hunts brought me to areas I probably wouldn't have bothered with on my own, and usually had other stuff in the area worth checking out. I just can't fathom going "a bloo bloo, I got meaningful content but only 2 xp. I got screwed!"

Welcome to videogames where you get experience points for doing things.

I get that you think playing the game should be it's own reward but XP has been a thing in RPGs since D&D. I found it annoying in this game because I wanted to level up because of gear requirements and the only choice left at a certain point was having to push the story forward instead of just putzing around and not having to worry about X sidequest going away because of plot progression.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 11, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jack of Hearts posted:

This is a cool thread about a great videogame, please do not be so angry. Is there a bbcode for axii?

Will a smiley do? :lron:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

CharlestonJew posted:

Holy poo poo

Is 254 hours astonishing or something? Because uh, I've got 540.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Or a few days ago: I stumbled into a bookshop and the owner said that someone left a note for me. I wonder who it could be? Searched the books and eventually found it signed by someone I hadn't heard of, apparently he was in the first game. They may as well leave out quests like this because I thought maybe it was Iorveth or Saskia or some other random NPC I may have remembered from the Witcher game that people actually played.

Hey, gently caress you too, buddy. Without W1, you don't get Shani either.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Is there a way to see your hours on ps4?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Here's one I just did this morning: while trying to clean up all the map question marks in Velen, I cleared out a settlement and a quest marker came up. Woman's husband was missing, he had last been seen setting traps. I went 100 feet or meters or whatever, killed the wild dogs near the body of the dead husband, inspected husband to have Geralt say "yup, dogs got him", and went back. I got to refuse the money, which I did not because I thought Geralt did a bad job but because the sidequest was :effort:

Unless this is a stupid unrelated quest to the one I'm thinking of, you did this one badly wrong. I don't remember anything this pointless.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lareine posted:

Is 254 hours astonishing or something? Because uh, I've got 540.

the number's not too impressive but considering he just started his playthrough a little over 2 weeks ago then yeah, it's pretty crazy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pretty sure everyone's playtime numbers are wrong if they're going off the in-game one. It's been pretty broken since release iirc.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

Unless this is a stupid unrelated quest to the one I'm thinking of, you did this one badly wrong. I don't remember anything this pointless.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Love%27s_Cruel_Snares
Or watch an exciting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOOvuPPnZbQ&t=114s. Note you don't actually have to do any tracking, head to the center of the "search circle" and you stumble upon the dog pack with the dead guy right there.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The in-game playtime tracker has never been correct at any point of the game.

jim truds posted:

I just ignore the XP. Like, that is how I solved the whole XP problem, I just ignored it because it really doesn't matter. The Witcher is not a sand box game and you can't break it open like a sandbox game. It uses XP and levels to guide you and gate you and not as a reward. Like, if the XP system bugs you it is because you want a different game and not because it is inherently bad. It just is not the system you want.

XP systems can be executed well, W3 is not an example of a good one. You break the game by looting superior alchemy recipes from areas the game expects to murder you.

Guild Wars 2 has XP gain set to level you up at a consistent, frequent pace with scaling in place if you want to revisit areas and do things you missed out on. You'll get completely destroyed by something eight levels above you but that definitely beats using light attack and rolling away for 20 minutes against a boss immune to bombs and signs because it's a dozen levels higher than geralt.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dang, OK, that's so boring I didn't remember it. I think the religious idol one served a game design purpose, because it came so early, and encouraged map exploration beyond the initial path. But that quest sounds exactly like a much better quest in its setup.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

the number's not too impressive but considering he just started his playthrough a little over 2 weeks ago then yeah, it's pretty crazy.

Oh, that's a little bit different.

In regards to playtime, I'm using the Steam one. I know that one can be iffy if programs don't completely close but I believe I played around that much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It'd be nice if the intro quest for B&W didn't throw you into a fight with a dozen level 35 bandits. Really sucks if you come across it too early.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

Dang, OK, that's so boring I didn't remember it. I think the religious idol one served a game design purpose, because it came so early, and encouraged map exploration beyond the initial path. But that quest sounds exactly like a much better quest in its setup.

You may not have even done it, since the settlement you have to clean up is just marked with a question on the mao, and only after clearing it do you see a "!" on the minimap. It's pretty easy to stop doing them after a while since most of them are random monster nests or treasures which give you vendor junk.

On the idol one, I remember following the suggested path that the game gave me to the third idol, which took me right under a griffon. Since I had just defeated the one in White Harbor I thought it would be a piece of cake, and of course it kicked my newbie rear end.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hello should I buy this game? I loved Morrowind/Skyrim, KotOR, Mass Effect, and NWN but hated Dragon Age (all of them) and have never played earlier Witcher games.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Hello should I buy this game? I loved Morrowind/Skyrim, KotOR, Mass Effect, and NWN but hated Dragon Age (all of them) and have never played earlier Witcher games.

Why did you like the Bioware games but hate Dragon Age?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have no idea. Couldn't get into the first one and Inquisition was boring as hell to me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Witcher 3 is a fantastic game with an excellent story. You might lose a little by not being familiar with the previous games and characters, but I think it should hold its own reasonably well as a standalone iteration.

If you didn't like Dragon Age Inquisition's MMO-ishness you may not like the similar hook to W3. It's waaay better though, with far better general gameplay. Dragon Age Inq's mmoishness was more of the collectathon variety while W3's was more just a big gently caress-all open world that was hardcore level-gated with damage sponges.

Chuck Finley posted:

Not, you loving moron.

So, all those things sound cool on paper, but c'mon, learning about the first spoiler was great while the 'fight' was pretty lame. They built up something dope and then hashakashahashakasha fade-to-black wah wah Olgierd gives you a lovely sword and blah. As for the second one, really? Really? Was it really that good? It was at best slightly amusing when it wasn't boring. And I already told you the scenes with Shani were pretty fun, so that would kinda include your last spoiler to a certain extent.

I don't want to post a wall of spoilers breaking down my likes and dislikes of the entire thing, but I said on average it was kinda whatevs.

You should relax a bit.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 11, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I have no idea. Couldn't get into the first one and Inquisition was boring as hell to me.

Like Inquisition, W3 is open world and has loads and loads of stuff to do. DA:I had fewer sidequests that were anything more than "fetch quest/kill monster", W3 is generally better about that but if you are a completionist you will burn out because the base game will take 100+ hours to finish. You also get less of a blank slate than Bioware games, Geralt is his own character, and you are going to be slinging swords even if you try for a more magic/herbalist build.

I'm still playing and now into Act 3, pacing is off since Act 1 will take you well over 40 hours (since it opens up almost the entire world and all the sidequests), Act 2 is pretty short and Act 3 seems to be pretty short so far.

One thing they did Bioware-ish was to give you the opening dungeon and then say "hey you have to go to these three areas to complete thine quest."

You may want to buy Witcher 2 when it's on sale, it's cheap enough and will let you know if you like the game's setting.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

The thread is full of people calling it the best RPG they've ever played. You might find some gripe with it, but I'd roll those dice.

Skipping earlier Witcher games is fine.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Drifter posted:

Witcher 3 is a fantastic game with an excellent story. You might lose a little by not being familiar with the previous games and characters, but I think it should hold its own reasonably well as a standalone iteration.

If you didn't like Dragon Age Inquisition's MMO-ishness you may not like the similar hook to W3. It's waaay better though, with far better general gameplay. Dragon Age Inq's mmoishness was more of the collectathon variety while W3's was more just a big gently caress-all open world that was hardcore level-gated with damage sponges.

So, all those things sound cool on paper, but c'mon, learning about the first spoiler was great while the 'fight' was pretty lame. They built up something dope and then hashakashahashakasha fade-to-black wah wah Olgierd gives you a lovely sword and blah. As for the second one, really? Really? Was it really that good? It was at best slightly amusing when it wasn't boring. And I already told you the scenes with Shani were pretty fun, so that would kinda include your last spoiler to a certain extent.

I don't want to post a wall of spoilers breaking down my likes and dislikes of the entire thing, but I said on average it was kinda whatevs.

You should relax a bit.

his sword is loving fantastic

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Yes. Probably my favorite game of this generation so far.

Having never played a Witcher game, I watched a Witcher 1 and 2 summary video on YouTube, which really helped me with characters in W3. I recommend it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Which of the new B&W mutations are good? Alternately - which are better than the numbers look, and which are actually a secret trap?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Buy it. I liked those same games back in the day and never played Dragon Age. At first I hated TW3 but now I'm a few dozen hours in and hope it never ends.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In my playthrough after I finished this quest the woman started walking into the woods where her husband's body was found so I followed her to see what's up. When she reached the point where the husband's body was lying on the ground a single wild dog jumped out of the bushes (I'm 100% sure I cleared the area) and killed her. Cause it's just another day for you and me in Velen paradise. Apparently that wasn't scripted and this is basically a gameplay anecdote but I remember that quest quite well because of it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Not liking the Olgierd entire storyline. :psyduck: I just... what... I can't...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, he was a very unlikable rear end in a top hat from the start and only less hatable because monkey paw wishes are easier to hate.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That pan quest wasn't even a fetch quest, it was five feet away from the quest giver! That was a little mystery with a callback ti the first game.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Drifter posted:

You should relax a bit.

Hell yeah it was really that good, just a bit short, in reference to the heist. Also, you have this sick rear end cool investigation into the devil and this guy with a salt circle that final destinations himself right in front of you. Plus, come on, don't tell me you didn't like fighting the toad and the gravekeeper? All those things are :krad: and welcome additions. How can you call a riddle battle with the devil, dull? I admit that Blood and Wines end was a lot more climactic, but god drat, HoS was some good eating. Also, that creepy rear end song was pretty sweet. Plus, you don't always have to save Olgierd. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Which of the new B&W mutations are good? Alternately - which are better than the numbers look, and which are actually a secret trap?

They're all good, but Euphoria is game breaking if you can do a perfect combat with some reliability or have the range rune words. The trap one would be the crossbow one? I dunno this isn't a game where build matters too much. I like bloodbath.