Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I never considered the massive piles of cosmetics in TF2 to be a bad thing like some others. Sure, it drifts the aesthetic of the game, but everything's still clearly understandable, all the simple things remain simple and clear. But I'm not sure I can say the same about Overwatch.

Just tonight I got the Vigilante skin for McCree; fedora, suit and domino mask, all in black and yellow, it's honestly probably one of the game's best costumes... except that McCree is extremely spaghetti western. He's got a revolver, cigar, cowboy hat and poncho, and his ultimate skill is literally a quick-draw at high noon. And here I am getting the ability to dress him like Dick Tracy. It's actually a drat sight worse than TF2's aesthetic drift, because there's a lot of heroes--and they're only adding more--that you have to learn to identify by sight really easily. McCree's normally quickly identifiable because he's literally a cowboy... except for mine, because my McCree looks totally different.

And this is one of the game's best costumes partly because it's actually one of the less confusing ones; at least Vigilante McCree's still the same general shape as his default outfit. Soldier 76 has several 'young' costumes--including one that's in a stars-and-stripes jumpsuit--that looks like he could be a whole new hero. Reaper's got a non-uniformed costume that's unrecognizable because it actually shows his face and has absolutely no skulls on it. Genji the Metal Gear-style cyber-ninja has a couple of completely human costumes so good luck with that one, and Symmetra the Aperture Science-grade tech-slinger has a couple of Hindu goddess outfits, because at this point why the gently caress not.

And that's not even getting into the outfits that you can reasonably confuse for other, completely different heroes. Tracer's really bad for this, but Zarya's also got a Mei-reminiscent costume that's got me a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Serious question: are your eyes broken?

It takes literally like five games to learn everything you wrote in that post. I've never once had an issue identifying a hero by silhouette.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I never considered the massive piles of cosmetics in TF2 to be a bad thing like some others. Sure, it drifts the aesthetic of the game, but everything's still clearly understandable, all the simple things remain simple and clear. But I'm not sure I can say the same about Overwatch.

Just tonight I got the Vigilante skin for McCree; fedora, suit and domino mask, all in black and yellow, it's honestly probably one of the game's best costumes... except that McCree is extremely spaghetti western. He's got a revolver, cigar, cowboy hat and poncho, and his ultimate skill is literally a quick-draw at high noon. And here I am getting the ability to dress him like Dick Tracy. It's actually a drat sight worse than TF2's aesthetic drift, because there's a lot of heroes--and they're only adding more--that you have to learn to identify by sight really easily. McCree's normally quickly identifiable because he's literally a cowboy... except for mine, because my McCree looks totally different.

And this is one of the game's best costumes partly because it's actually one of the less confusing ones; at least Vigilante McCree's still the same general shape as his default outfit. Soldier 76 has several 'young' costumes--including one that's in a stars-and-stripes jumpsuit--that looks like he could be a whole new hero. Reaper's got a non-uniformed costume that's unrecognizable because it actually shows his face and has absolutely no skulls on it. Genji the Metal Gear-style cyber-ninja has a couple of completely human costumes so good luck with that one, and Symmetra the Aperture Science-grade tech-slinger has a couple of Hindu goddess outfits, because at this point why the gently caress not.

And that's not even getting into the outfits that you can reasonably confuse for other, completely different heroes. Tracer's really bad for this, but Zarya's also got a Mei-reminiscent costume that's got me a few times.

The Genji and Hanzo young skins can be confused in a frenetic high paced environment but they do carry themselves differently and have different weapons. And I've seen people confuse the Reaper skin that reveals his face with an alternate Soldier 76 skin.

And I've mistaken an out-of-mech DVA for Tracer at a distance before.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

The fact that they just gave everybody glowing colored outlines because they knew people couldn't identify their team members by design alone speaks volumes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm honestly surprised you didn't bring up Zarya's goth legendary skin.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Guy Mann posted:

The fact that they just gave everybody glowing colored outlines because they knew people couldn't identify their team members by design alone speaks volumes.

I don't get what you're trying to say here. Every team-based game has methods to identify which team a player belongs to. It can be unique appearances (see Counter-Strike) or specific colors (see Team Fortress 2). Overwatch's method might not be as elegant but it works regardless of distance and environment (textures, lighting, shadows).

It also helps that you are always on the blue team with the enemy always being the red team. You merely switch roles as attackers and defenders (and on king of the hill maps both teams are labeled attackers).

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jul 10, 2016

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I don't think this is a problem? TF2 had every single character recolored as blue or red to identify your team. Overwatch instead decided to open up their skin options - so you can be blue/black/orange/whatever tracer - by using the highlight instead. Being able to identify your teammates is way different than being able to tell Hanzo and Genji apart.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Regalingualius posted:

I'm honestly surprised you didn't bring up Zarya's goth legendary skin.

That one's not great either, but I haven't seen it in action and Zarya's frame is still pretty unmistakeable. Her heavily rugged-up outfit makes her look a lot like Mei at a glance, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

You're conflating identifying what class someone is with identifying what team they're on

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Borderlands: The Pre Sequel, the final encounter where it's revealed that Lilith is literally the driving force behind Jack's vendetta against Pandora cements the fact that the writers have no idea what they're even doing, especially with said character acting like they had nothing to do with Jack at all throughout the game. They took Lilith and just turned her into a complete shithead (Along with Moxxi) who goes as far as to almost murder Athena, with divine intervention being the only reason she didn't die. The worst part of this all is that Lilith will be like this throughout the next game.

She is the entire reason why Borderlands 2 happened. She is why New Haven was massacred, and why Roland was murdered, along with Bloodwing and Brick's dog. If she just loving took a moment to think "Maybe smashing the eldritch brand into Jack's face might be a really bad idea" or "Why am I doing this?", something else could have hosed him over instead.

Pretty much, i'm very mad about a shallow FPS diablo-wannabee's story

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

BillmasterCozb posted:

Speaking of Borderlands: The Pre Sequel, the final encounter where it's revealed that Lilith is literally the driving force behind Jack's vendetta against Pandora cements the fact that the writers have no idea what they're even doing, especially with said character acting like they had nothing to do with Jack at all throughout the game. They took Lilith and just turned her into a complete shithead (Along with Moxxi) who goes as far as to almost murder Athena, with divine intervention being the only reason she didn't die. The worst part of this all is that Lilith will be like this throughout the next game.

She is the entire reason why Borderlands 2 happened. She is why New Haven was massacred, and why Roland was murdered, along with Bloodwing and Brick's dog. If she just loving took a moment to think "Maybe smashing the eldritch brand into Jack's face might be a really bad idea" or "Why am I doing this?", something else could have hosed him over instead.

I don't know what you're even referring to I just play the game to shoot people.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
There's never gonna be another blands game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BillmasterCozb posted:

Remember that the head writer declared the respawn stations (in the game that he wrote) to be non-canon.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Somfin posted:

Remember that the head writer declared the respawn stations (in the game that he wrote) to be non-canon.

What? How does this even work?

Do they just expect you to ignore the fact that you respawn?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

packetmantis posted:

There's never gonna be another blands game.

Not unless they can find another publisher to siphon money from. :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

moosecow333 posted:

What? How does this even work?

Do they just expect you to ignore the fact that you respawn?

It works like this: Respawn stations exist, for gameplay purposes and there are in game jokes surrounding it, but for the story, they don't exist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

It works like this: Respawn stations exist, for gameplay purposes and there are in game jokes surrounding it, but for the story, they don't exist.

Yeah, like how if you play, for example, Mario, Sonic, Uncharted, DOOM, Wolfenstein TNO, Far Cry, Fallout, and MGSV none of them act as if you've been dying repeatedly and coming back. They just treat it like one long perfectly done performance.

The only games that I know of that somewhat acknowledge that you've been dying and coming back the whole time are Dark Souls, turn-based RPGS and Undertale.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I mean, respawn stations have been in since the start of BL with you uploading all your junk into it, and I do like them as a part of the world. It's saying " you are rather meaningless. We'll just make another", which fits for Pandora. Life is cheap.
The only way you can really integrate them into the story would be saying that jack is such a megalomaniac that he doesn't switch you off because he so believes that HE is the hero that he will take down the "bandits" that killed his daughter.

I guess he got bored with Roland?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, like how if you play, for example, Mario, Sonic, Uncharted, DOOM, Wolfenstein TNO, Far Cry, Fallout, and MGSV none of them act as if you've been dying repeatedly and coming back. They just treat it like one long perfectly done performance.

Well in at least one of them, you don't, you die and then game over, load a save from before you died. And the issue is that Borderlands does acknowledge it and it's lazy to realise that causes plot holes and so declare that actually it really doesn't we swear guys.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

RareAcumen posted:

The only games that I know of that somewhat acknowledge that you've been dying and coming back the whole time are Dark Souls, turn-based RPGS and Undertale.

With Bioshock, this mechanic is not only explained, but ties into the story. One of the few games that managed to work that in pretty well I thought.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's actually a mission from Jack to kill yourself in BL2.

But really, there's no point in thinking to hard on BL2's writing, its complete garbage

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I still say BL2's a good comedy game, if not as good as some others that may or may not star Stephen Merchant. It's got ideas on how to make a game funny, and actually pulls most of them off.

On the New-U Stations, I think the first game just completely writes them as non-canon, while they're actually considered and included into the world more directly in 2 (I can't speak for Pre-Sequel). Both approaches have their problems--they're present enough for it to be off-putting when they're just ignored in 1, and while their presence does work for most of 2 (you're allowed to keep respawning because Jack's a smug bastard who doesn't think you can win, Jack isn't in the system because he's a smug bastard who doesn't think you can win) that just calls attention to the places it doesn't work (Roland).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Ugh I just can't stand how in Final Fight you heal yourself by eating a whole roast chicken that you find in the street. First of all that's unhygienic, and second while proper nutrition can aid in the body's natural healing process it does not accelerate it to that degree. This breaks the verisimilitude that I experience when playing the game and frankly detracts from the richness of the narrative. How they expect us to treat the game with the considered seriousness that it deserves is beyond me.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

Ugh I just can't stand how in Final Fight you heal yourself by eating a whole roast chicken that you find in the street. First of all that's unhygienic, and second while proper nutrition can aid in the body's natural healing process it does not accelerate it to that degree. This breaks the verisimilitude that I experience when playing the game and frankly detracts from the richness of the narrative. How they expect us to treat the game with the considered seriousness that it deserves is beyond me.

You're right, that's why they weren't there.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Breetai posted:

You picked one of the worst possible examples for your hyperbolic nonsense.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How can a green mushroom give me another chance to not die? That's just stupid!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Shadow of Hodor Mordor, it's a fairly significant bit of the plot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Secret World. One of the villains is quite aware that killing you is pointless and informs you that hopefully this trap will just keep you out of his hair long enough to finish his scheme.
On another mission your up against several other agents who have the same kind of immortality. You kill them quite a few times each before they decide to give up and do something else.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's even an entire story line where one of the immortal agents is suicidal but is unable to end her own life, because she's simply resurrected again with full knowledge of what drove her to do it. :smith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Planescape: Torment is another one, surely.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In World of Warcraft, you can come back to life by just running your ghost from the nearest graveyard back to your corpse, or by talking to a ghostly spirit healer at a graveyard, suffering some penalties but skipping the corpse run.

There's a quest line quest in post-Cataclysm Aszhara (A zone settled by the Horde's Goblins whose quest lines are more comedic than most) where you recruit the help of Azuregos, a blue dragon who was an outdoor raid boss pre-Cataclysm. You find him in the realm of death at a player graveyard. After being killed by player murderhobos so many times, he started dating the spirit healer.

That doesn't mean endlessly respawning npcs and death being an inconvenience are part of Warcraft lore, and Borderlands' New-U stations appearing in quests are like that too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol, the writer for 2 was just terrible because he wanted to be ~dramatic~ in a joke game instead of just thinking a little bit about how to integrate it into the game and you know, actually be humorous.

Just another of the steaming, dull disappointments to 2 compared to the acceptable flaws of 1, who kinda did the same anyway but you didn't care as much.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Breetai posted:

The difference is that people on the internet don't have some personal vendetta against/ChrisChan-level of obsession over the personal life of the guy who wrote Final Fight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The FF guy didn't whine about his sex life on all forms of social media, either.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Was this the guy who decided he wanted an open relationship so he could score with women who weren't his wife, only to have no success while his wife was banging everyone?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

poptart_fairy posted:

The FF guy didn't whine about his sex life on all forms of social media, either.

Wait, what?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The difference is that people on the internet don't have some personal vendetta against/ChrisChan-level of obsession over the personal life of the guy who wrote Final Fight.
yes, anyone who thinks Borderlands 2 has bad writing is clearly only saying so out of a personal vendetta against the poor writer.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I thought Borderlands 1 was pretty bland. The quirky-but-dark humor was often groan-inducing and the gameplay was boring. I suppose it's one of those games that's only "good" if you play co-op

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Leavemywife posted:

Wait, what?

The guy basically detailed every step of his troubled sex life from how he wanted an open relationship, to how his wife was getting sex all the time while he got none, to how he "realized" he was gay, only to still not get laid and start blaming sexually aggressive men for his enforced celibacy. The dude's an utter train wreck who did not know when to stop sharing and was somehow surprised when the likes of reddit turned him into a target of mockery - although he seems to have learned as since leaving the video game industry he's gone fairly quiet and just got on with it.

Guy Mann seems weirdly obsessed with drawing lines between criticism of Borderlands and those who got too into the internet drama there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Two Worlds 2's thievery skill has a lovely minigame which you don't always have a chance of winning, it's useable on too few NPCs and the rewards are pathetic. Also, the quest where you have to use it drains it of all skill points which it does not give back after the successful completion of the quest which is presumably a glitch.