Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Does someone have that one gif of uranium anchor acting surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Finally finished the Jak & Daxter run. That was incredible.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Finally finished the Jak & Daxter run. That was incredible.

Hi exhausted, I'm dad

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WDIIA posted:

Something that was really good this year was there was a lot of good couches. It seemed that a couple of marathons ago there was a sudden trend where all the couches were dead serious and all the """""excitement"""" came from the same old lame HOOIPPEE. But this year there were a lot of fun, light, active couches which made the whole thing seem more fun and friendly. It's a trend that should continue

Basically if people are just going to sit there with there arms crossed the whole time kick em off and get some funny rando in there

I always cringe whenever they do that "HOIPE" poo poo. I much prefer the "WAAAUGH" that was catching on this time around.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

People seemed to understand there is a time for WHAAAAA and managed to punctuate moments sometimes!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

LethalGeek posted:

People seemed to understand there is a time for WHAAAAA and managed to punctuate moments sometimes!

Other times they just wouldn't stop

At least they didn't snipe the sam file name with it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

SeXReX posted:

The ambient waaaahs that permeated the entirety of the Mario Maker run might have been my favorite part of the whole marathon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeXReX posted:

which run was that btw i uh have forgotton -_-

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's weird to complain about a Mario Maker race, but be totally fine with the Tetris exhibition.

But Mario Maker brought in like thirty grand, so it's not going anywhere.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Rorus Raz posted:

It's weird to complain about a Mario Maker race, but be totally fine with the Tetris exhibition.

But Mario Maker brought in like thirty grand, so it's not going anywhere.

tetris is a speedrun that people practice for and mario maker is a group let's play of levels nobody playing has seen before

but yeah it's stupid popular and still a decent watch, so it's not going anywhere and not worth complaining about

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

The Judge Dredd run was pretty enjoyable.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

mandatory lesbian posted:

which run was that btw i uh have forgotton -_-

The game boy final fantasy.... Adventure??

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Fawf posted:

The ambient waaaahs that permeated the entirety of the Mario Maker run might have been my favorite part of the whole marathon

That goes to the hot pockets Twitter account figuring out what was going on during Mario Maker for me.

Well the real champion was the 24 hour diner with a full bar and spiked shakes but that's just an attendee thing

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Friendly reminder there's about an hour left to get SGDQ tees if you cared about those http://theyetee.com/sgdq

This was easily one of the best GDQs I've ever watched, what a good time. :3: Sound crew was incredible and it made a huge difference in stream quality.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Kerfuffle posted:

Friendly reminder there's about an hour left to get SGDQ tees if you cared about those http://theyetee.com/sgdq

This was easily one of the best GDQs I've ever watched, what a good time. :3: Sound crew was incredible and it made a huge difference in stream quality.

hard to believe this is the only live event they do, they really took everything that came their way without breaking a sweat.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

http://theyetee.com/sgdq/detail.php?itemid=SGDQ16-Drink

Pepsi for T-SHIRT.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Jak and Daxter run is killing me

Please clap

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Any recommendations from AGDQ?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Rorus Raz posted:

Please clap

Watching the run and I thought it was good, then it got to Owen Wilson and the swearing and it has reached god tier.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

2nd post

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ZenVulgarity posted:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Blindfolded)
Sonic 2006
Judge Dredd
Deus Ex
Tetris: The Grand Master Series
The Elder Scrolls block
Super Mario Maker
Pepsiman
TASBot block

e: whoops, I misread that, oh well :v:

Off the top of my head, the entire Awful Games block (starting with Lagoon and ending with Animorphs) was amazing, as well as the TASBot block.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 11, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I meant the Jan one

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

I liked CapnClever's runthrough of Prince of Persia. He's a good commentator and it's a reasonably fast game with some interesting tech. PJ's runthrough of Lagoon was also loving hilarious; the game just sucks, and he has excellent commentary on it along with three really great co-commentators on the couch.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

reminder

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

For the love of everything, go watch every game from the Awful Block.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
o-dog

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Awful Block, TAS Block, blindfold Punchout race, Crypt of the Necrodancer Coda, Battleblock Theater (because PJ + Mecharichter + voice guy commentary), Transformers: Devastation (because halfcoordinated), Splatoon, Kaizo Mario 3, Prince of Persia, Castlevania III (ohon), Secret of Mana 1p2c.

pretty solid all round but definitely I think this one eclipsed it.

I'd actually be interested in knowing people's all-time favorites, especially for the older GDQs or for games that will only appear once or twice ever in marathon. Like PJ's first Lagoon run was great, and different enough from this one to be worth watching; also his Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 one — but also stuff like Mr. K's Sim City (and Maniac Mansion) from SGDQ 2012.

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 11, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Let's not forget about trine 3, which was cool and chill

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

smell this posted:

I guess what I can take from this whole SGDQ event was that the only thing that annoyed me the most was the Mario Maker block. To me it was just like a LP of random streamers playing a difficult level and the crowd/twitch chat reacting to it There were no shrtcuts, no skill, no strategy; just blind streamers going in to a level and trying their best....no going fast, not going speedy. You could've have literally had anyone on the couch for this segment and nothing would have changed. There is a reason why this event is called Games Done Quick and I felt there was no reason for this type of game thrown into the event. They all died pretty quick but maybe throw in this Mario Maker thing as a bonus or something because to me you could have showed this game at some other event (an event like PAX) and it would still have the same results.

source your quotes

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Please clap
http://i.imgur.com/QkF4Vut.gifv

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I decided to go play Super Metroid again and these fuckers make it look so easy. loving wall jumping :negative:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zore posted:

I'm really mad at Youtube for muting the Pikmin run for copyright.

Anyone know where its archived in the Twitch stream?
did anyone tell UA cause maybe he can work around it

SeXReX posted:

I recommend celeste because you can watch the whole thing while anther run buffers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffti-asjSeg

Totally not just because its my run.
even this hobo doesn't recommend Crystal's Pony Tale

Good Job!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sir Tonk posted:

Can we expect some VR speedruns at AGDQ?
literally takes damage to save time

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

elentar posted:

Battleblock Theater (because PJ + Mecharichter + voice guy commentary)

"I lost my grandmother to breast cancer a year and a half ago :iamafag:"

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
That, and Stamper (probably) drunk chiming in all the time.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Don't forget the cell phone flipping out shortly after them explaining the bad connection and the bad luck of Catty Be-Be.

"There's two cats! :gibs:"

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Pakled posted:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Blindfolded)
Sonic 2006
Judge Dredd
Deus Ex
Tetris: The Grand Master Series
The Elder Scrolls block
Super Mario Maker
Pepsiman
TASBot block

e: whoops, I misread that, oh well :v:

Off the top of my head, the entire Awful Games block (starting with Lagoon and ending with Animorphs) was amazing, as well as the TASBot block.

Are these suggestions from SGDQ16? I've been overseas for 10 days and want to watch some of the best vids from the past week.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

WDIIA posted:

Something that was really good this year was there was a lot of good couches. It seemed that a couple of marathons ago there was a sudden trend where all the couches were dead serious and all the """""excitement"""" came from the same old lame HOOIPPEE. But this year there were a lot of fun, light, active couches which made the whole thing seem more fun and friendly. It's a trend that should continue

Basically if people are just going to sit there with there arms crossed the whole time kick em off and get some funny rando in there

I get loving tired of people saying they stopped letting these events be fun and overdo the professionalism but I felt like there was a nice balance of that homey sort of "bunch of friends hanging out till 2am at a wedding reception" vibe that I loved about the really old GDQs, and the sort of big event showmanship with high production values and giant crowds that I also really like. This is really the best they've done it.

Like I said in an earlier post the only really bad thing is that the few runs that did suck stood out way more. The Trials run wouldn't have felt so out of place in GDQs of old but when it was the longest bit of dead air at the whole event this year it felt more agonizing than it would have.

I'll out myself as someone who bailed on Jak & Daxter when it was live, I'll go back and stick with it because I've been laughing at people merely quoting it so I know it'll be worth it, just god drat the first bits were rough

EDIT: this is basically exactly like that HL2 run from I think just this past AGDQ where it was absolutely unbearable the first ~40 minutes but once he stopped TRYING to be funny he actually was really genuinely funny

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The SMW Grandma% speedrun was both excellent and adorable :3:

• Locked thread