Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BioEnchanted posted:

I just saw an advert that appealed nicely to my inner 5 year old. The new movie with Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, Central Intelligence has the tagline:

"All it takes is a little Hart, and a big Johnson"

I just found that amusing because I am a total child sometimes.

It's a very good tagline, and it doesn't look like a bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

cyberia posted:

The copy they read on podcasts I listen to really rubs me the wrong way because it reinforces this weird neurotic, infantilised thing that a lot of people my age seem to have latched onto in the last few years. 'We know nobody likes going to the grocery store after work. It's so confusing, what do I buy? How much of each thing do I need? If I buy all the ingredients for this dish I'm going to end up with a wilting half-bunch of parsley in my fridge. Well Blue Apron has the solution to your problem. Blah, blah blah.'

The best thing about Blue Apron is the post all their recipes online, and have easily downloadable pdfs of them all. So you can go online, pick easy recipes that are portioned for two people...and then buy your own stuff for a fraction of the price and cook it. No box necessary.

I will say my best friend lives in a food desert in the middle of nowhere Texas, keeps kosher, generally works 80 hours a week, and she loves Blue Apron. The ease is worth the cost. BUT if you live within walking distance of any grocery store or market, and have at least an hour to spare a week? So not worth it.

[edit: spelling]

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I often collapse in the grocery store toothpaste aisle due to the sheer freedom of it all..

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Ipsy one was pretty terrible from a marketing standpoint. They put me on a waiting list because 'demand'. The only way to get off the list was to wait multiple months or advertise for them on Facebook.

Wait what? "Your order is being delayed but if you shill for us on facebook we'll mark you priority" ? That's hosed.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait what? "Your order is being delayed but if you shill for us on facebook we'll mark you priority" ? That's hosed.

I never thought I'd agree, but holy poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, it was odd. I waited a month, but by then it was getting awfully close to Christmas. I told them I was just going to go buy another BirchBox and suddenly I was off the waiting list.

The sad part is it's a neat service except for that marketing decision.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

FearCotton posted:

The best thing about Blue Apron is the post all their recipes online, and have easily downloadable pdfs of them all. So you can go online, pick easy recipes that are portioned for two people...and then buy your own stuff for a fraction of the price and cook it. No box necessary.

I will say my best friend lives in a food desert in the middle of nowhere Texas, keeps kosher, generally works 80 hours a week, and she loves Blue Apron. The ease is worth the cost. BUT if you live within walking distance of any grocery store or market, and have at least an hour to spare a week? So not worth it.

[edit: spelling]

I did actually try blue apron since my aunt swears by it and had a free one week trial to use. It wasn't bad necessarily, but the one recipe was like "cheeseburger and fries" which seems a bit absurd for a cooking tool.

My real complaint is that I needed to put in my credit card info and everything to get my free trial (typical), but then it was near impossible to cancel. Theres no link, so you had to go to the FAQ page, find an email address in the very last question, email you want to quit, get an automated link to the cancel form, then fill out the form to finally be done.

The bad marketing is that I was initially thinking about trying it again in the future (I'm single and work a lot so I was throwing out a ton of food), but the whole cancellation felt so shady I'll never use it again.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Antitonic posted:

Bobcat-in-a-box, maybe? Seems to be what you're describing.

Yes - that's it! Thank you!

And I wouldn't mind spending 5$ to get a pretzel shaped like a dinosaur :D

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

PopeCrunch posted:

There's a difference? I'm not being an anus here, I'm a fairly decent cook and thought they were just two different names for basically the same thing.

You're not crazy, there's not supposed to be a difference, but some places label green onions as green onions, and spring onions as scallions. I was just warning her that if she wants to buy scallions from the little grocery store we go to, to buy green onions instead of the spring onions that they sell under the name scallions

It's like when people use the terms yam and sweet potato interchangeably, when in reality, yams are completely different from sweet potatoes. Or the classic, "what arthropod is a daddy longlegs?" argument.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Door Frame posted:

You're not crazy, there's not supposed to be a difference, but some places label green onions as green onions, and spring onions as scallions. I was just warning her that if she wants to buy scallions from the little grocery store we go to, to buy green onions instead of the spring onions that they sell under the name scallions

It's like when people use the terms yam and sweet potato interchangeably, when in reality, yams are completely different from sweet potatoes. Or the classic, "what arthropod is a daddy longlegs?" argument.

I like the way you say "when in reality" and then compare it to a difference of regional dialect.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Common names are usually very wrong in dumb ways.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Improbable Lobster posted:

Common names are usually very wrong in dumb ways.

Possums and opossums are two completely different animals but there is no way I'm going out of my way to pronounce the "o" and make them less cute in the process.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guy Mann posted:

Possums and opossums are two completely different animals but there is no way I'm going out of my way to pronounce the "o" and make them less cute in the process.

The Australian animals are always “possums”, but the North American animals can be either, and if anyone tells you otherwise, they’re a oval office.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

The Australian animals are always “possums”, but the North American animals can be either, and if anyone tells you otherwise, they’re an ocunt.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My friends swear by Blue Apron. It gives them a reason to try recipes they never would've thought of. If they really like one they save the recipe and make it on their own later.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The Australian animals are always “possums”, but the North American animals can be either, and if anyone tells you otherwise, they’re a oval office.

The australian possum tends to be cuter, and may be able to glide depending on species (look up sugar gliders). The american opossum is pointy, bitey looking thing with sharp teeth and a rat tail, and should be differentiated because ours are better.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
opossums are cute too!

bend
Dec 31, 2012
this is true, but the rat tail and general bitey looking nature of them makes me feel like for once we have the less horribly dangerous animal. Mind you I don't know if they actually bite people, but it's nice to dream about not having all the horribly dangerous animals and leftover dino birds.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

grittyreboot posted:

My friends swear by Blue Apron. It gives them a reason to try recipes they never would've thought of. If they really like one they save the recipe and make it on their own later.

There really is a better solution to this problem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I will never use Plated because I hate their ads.

"Millenials are ditching delivery with this dinner hack"

gently caress off

And I think Blue Apron must have paid off a billion food sites because they all have nearly identical articles titled something like "We tried Blue Apron: Here's what happened"

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Bit late to the conversation, but for people who haven't actually seen inside a lootcrate, you might assume it's all bobbleheads and mini-figurines so at least you get your moneys worth, right?

Not quite true. The filler stuff is absolutely appalling. Genuine Wolverine brand shoe laces! a Captain America ice cube tray! Superman car air fresheners! An inflatable crown. Not like with a logo or as a reference to any specific theme, just an inflatable crown. Pretty sure the guy I know who gets the box buys it just so he has something to complain about to people.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

King Doom posted:

Bit late to the conversation, but for people who haven't actually seen inside a lootcrate, you might assume it's all bobbleheads and mini-figurines so at least you get your moneys worth, right?

Not quite true. The filler stuff is absolutely appalling. Genuine Wolverine brand shoe laces! a Captain America ice cube tray! Superman car air fresheners! An inflatable crown. Not like with a logo or as a reference to any specific theme, just an inflatable crown. Pretty sure the guy I know who gets the box buys it just so he has something to complain about to people.

A! loving! INFLATABLE! loving! CROWN!

Anyway, my friend orders them, but he's fanatical about those Pop! vinyl things to the extent that he has a massive cupboard full of them, so c'est la vie. Possibly related is that he keeps complaining about having no money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Anyway, my friend orders them, but he's fanatical about those Pop! vinyl things to the extent that he has a massive cupboard full of them, so c'est la vie. Possibly related is that he keeps complaining about having no money.

Eh, I just signed up for Bobcat in a Box, because, why the hell not, at least I know I'm going to get some genuine garbage, it'll be interesting at least.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Wouldnt already having a bunch of the Pop vinyl things make signing up to the box things even worse, because there is a decent chance of being sent one you already have?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, that reminds me too much of this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3406045

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Thanks, this is like seeing an old friend

I love imagining his turn from smug edgelord smirk to angry gorilla bewilderment when no one fellates him for probably The Worst Chili Recipe Known to Man

NLJP has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Jul 11, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tiggum posted:

I thought they were the same thing too, and so I checked Wikipedia and they are. :shrug:

I thought the same thing too. I looked it up and scallions are an onion type that would never form a bulb, while green onions are just immature onions that may be a variety that later on forms a bulb, e: like a white onion variety.

For what it's worth, I think the "spring onion" sold in Australia are scallions, because when I buy them I plant them in a pot and they keep growing, never going limp like in the fridge and can keep harvesting the greens for ever.
I've had them planted in dirt lasting for months and they never start forming a bulb.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Jul 11, 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

SiKboy posted:

Wouldnt already having a bunch of the Pop vinyl things make signing up to the box things even worse, because there is a decent chance of being sent one you already have?

LootCrate actually has some exclusive Funco Pops, so being signed up for it makes perfect sense for a collector. That's about all I can imagine it being good for, honestly.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

SpacePig posted:

LootCrate actually has some exclusive Funco Pops, so being signed up for it makes perfect sense for a collector. That's about all I can imagine it being good for, honestly.

Yeah, at least that's what he said.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SpacePig posted:

Huh. I did not know that. I always kind of assumed that Lootcrate just bough consignments of the Pop figurines that just didnt sell either because they werent particularly interesting looking (so many of them are just "generic white guy with no distinguishing features", theres practically no difference between about a third of their walking dead or game of thrones lines) or because the market was saturated (surely by this point everyone who wants a Funco Groot has one).

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
We get BarkBox and it's actually a good deal. Usually two new dog toys, three or four different bags of treats and one larger treat every month.

Considering how quickly our dogs can destroy any new toy it's been worth it. I don't think we've ever felt disappointed by one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

thank you, I was searching for that thread.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mu Zeta posted:

And I think Blue Apron must have paid off a billion food sites because they all have nearly identical articles titled something like "We tried Blue Apron: Here's what happened"

Thinx did the same thing and it's driving me up a wall. I will never try your disgusting blood diapers, Thinx. EVER.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

SiKboy posted:

Huh. I did not know that. I always kind of assumed that Lootcrate just bough consignments of the Pop figurines that just didnt sell either because they werent particularly interesting looking (so many of them are just "generic white guy with no distinguishing features", theres practically no difference between about a third of their walking dead or game of thrones lines) or because the market was saturated (surely by this point everyone who wants a Funco Groot has one).

They look just as dumb as your grandmother's Hummel figurine collection, yet more tacky.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SiKboy posted:

It seems to be the logical endgame of any subscription-based mystery box service. Even Humble Bundle has started a digital mystery box susbscription called Humble Monthly Bundle and they've started bribing game studios to make games that are exclusive to the service or selling unreleased games ahead of time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I do two of the fishing lure boxes and while I am always on the verge of quitting them often enough I get something cool that was totally off my radar so I keep subscribed. But, despite there being a million lures out there, I see how eventually I will be too "advanced" for them.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Keep in mind with Loot crate anything remotely cool you just get off eBay.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I subscribe to SkinnerBox. It's really cool, sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I have a Schrödinger's Box. As long as I don't open it I can't be sure it's full of poo poo.