Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fadam posted:

Why is Blizzard switching S2 to give out ties instead of just using stopwatch?

Because people saw Stopwatch on stream and decided they hated the format without actually playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Pretty neat Calvin and Hobbes parody.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The framed Tracer rear end on the wall is the icing on the cake.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One concern with stopwatch is that there can be a period of uncertainty where the players don't know if the match is still winnable or not. Let's say there's 30 seconds left on the stopwatch, but the payload will take a minimum of 40 seconds to reach the end; the match isn't over, but the attackers can't actually win. It's not always easy (for players, spectators, or commentators) to be sure whether the game is in this kind of state. That said, if Blizzard did embrace stopwatch rules, the calculation could be made and displayed by the game itself (take the time on the stopwatch, subtract the minimum time required for victory, and if the result is negative, the game's over).

The other concern isn't as easy to solve, which is the question of strategy. Is success with a fast and risky strategy inherently better than success with a slower but more consistent approach? If one team wins on Hanamura by sneaking a player onto point B while point A is still being captured, Blizzard doesn't necessarily think they should beat a team that wins the same map with a set of effective 6-player pushes. I'm not saying I agree with Blizzard there, but that's the nutshell of it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is this a test?

(edit: I was looking at the wronged framed rear end!)

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Code 7 (formerly Galeforce) was sort of ridiculous today in the Beyond the Summit Qualifier 1. They beat Northern Gaming Red 2-1, Luminosity Gaming 2-0, and Cloud 9 3-1 in successive matches to storm through and grab the last qualifying spot. It's amazing how much better they're playing since they left their sponsor.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

Pretty neat Calvin and Hobbes parody.

I'm gonna cross post this to the chill thread and give you credit - you should also hang in the chill thread because it's got Mei memes and is chill. This is also a good thread tho.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I meant to click on another thing but accidentally clicked on Competitive Play and wound up placed in a game too quickly for me to back out without being That Guy and making it a 5v6, go me. KotH on Nepal, first round I go with Lucio because nobody else on the team looks like they're gonna play support and I don't like playing Mercy. We get steamrolled. Second round I ask if anyone else would like to play support and one guy switches to Zenyatta, good, great. I stay Lucio because as much as I want to like Zenyatta I know he's not a great solo support and while we don't get shut out we still get beat, largely because nobody is making any serious pushing. Third match I say gently caress it and go Winston, I like Winston. We get steamrolled as, once again, nobody else wants to get onto the point and I uselessly fling myself into the midst of the enemy team to try and, I dunno, inspire everyone else to come on over. One person on our team used the voice channel, mainly to passive-aggressively complain about the team.

I can't fathom how this is somehow supposed to be better than loving around in quick play because while eleven games maybe aren't a huge sample size, the quality of my competitive matches certainly hasn't been any higher than the average quick play match in terms of the matchmaker keeping things from being a stomp, teams being more organized, etc.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I would much rather have some rounds end up unwinnable than be given a tie/go to coin flip after smoking an enemy team in completion time.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Ok what's the secret to aiming with Zarya's beam? I swear I can gun people down faster as 76 than as a charged Zarya.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nitramster posted:

I work at best buy and we have these! I'll check them out and see what my discount gets me, thanks!

I was really hoping for something with surround so I know I'm looking around the 80-120 range.

Yeah, I have Logi G430s and they're great with the exception of the cord being abnormally long. I'd probably recommend sticking with a design that doesn't transmit as much noise through the frame to the ear cup as the Revolver does but they may have resolved that design issue through revision at some point since it's probably just a rubber grommet needed somewhere.

Han Nehi posted:

Ok what's the secret to aiming with Zarya's beam? I swear I can gun people down faster as 76 than as a charged Zarya.

Gotta get closer than you probably are. The fully charged beam is a murder-hungry fucksaw but the range isn't nearly as long as the animation would make you believe.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 11, 2016

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Well I meant to click on another thing but accidentally clicked on Competitive Play and wound up placed in a game too quickly for me to back out without being That Guy and making it a 5v6, go me. KotH on Nepal, first round I go with Lucio because nobody else on the team looks like they're gonna play support and I don't like playing Mercy. We get steamrolled. Second round I ask if anyone else would like to play support and one guy switches to Zenyatta, good, great. I stay Lucio because as much as I want to like Zenyatta I know he's not a great solo support and while we don't get shut out we still get beat, largely because nobody is making any serious pushing. Third match I say gently caress it and go Winston, I like Winston. We get steamrolled as, once again, nobody else wants to get onto the point and I uselessly fling myself into the midst of the enemy team to try and, I dunno, inspire everyone else to come on over. One person on our team used the voice channel, mainly to passive-aggressively complain about the team.

I can't fathom how this is somehow supposed to be better than loving around in quick play because while eleven games maybe aren't a huge sample size, the quality of my competitive matches certainly hasn't been any higher than the average quick play match in terms of the matchmaker keeping things from being a stomp, teams being more organized, etc.

Flinging dead bodies onto the point is rarely a solution. Ideally, you'll want to slowly siege the point, taking control of ground and important locations until you have good space to initiate a solid teamfight that you can win. With Reinhardt and Winston, sure you can charge into the fray and initiate a battle nearly instantaneously, but you're doing so and putting yourself at the whim of the enemy team's control, as well as leaving most of your own team behind. For example, what does your Mercy do in that situation? Follow your dumb rear end and die instantly by being so far out in the open just to attempt to heal you, or stay behind out of range while you die? It's just a bad decision overall.

On the other hand, if you are just making good decisions and your team isn't following up, then you either need to dumb your decisions down so they can understand, switch to a hero they can work off of, or just eat the loss and understand that, statistically speaking, the enemy team is more likely to have x amount of idiots than your team is, because you're a known quantity.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
My rank keeps dropping big time. I'm at level 32.

This is outrageous. In any game, I've always been been average.

Does being level 32 mean I am below average or is the system really messed up right now? Are really good players merely in the 60s and 70s rather than being rank 98?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

objects in mirror posted:

My rank keeps dropping big time. I'm at level 32.

This is outrageous. In any game, I've always been been average.

Does being level 32 mean I am below average or is the system really messed up right now? Are really good players merely in the 60s and 70s rather than being rank 98?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
sorry, you're a bad

that's okay though, the worse you are the simpler the things you'd have to do to improve are, probably, unless you've got cerebral palsy or something

the important thing is to consciously play to improve, not how good you are at this very instant (or even ever!)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Han Nehi posted:

point it right at them, make sure you're close enough that it's actually hitting (it has a limited range)

that's it really

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sorry, you're a bad

that's okay though, the worse you are the simpler the things you'd have to do to improve are, probably, unless you've got cerebral palsy or something

the important thing is to consciously play to improve, not how good you are at this very instant (or even ever!)

The thing though is that there are moments and games where I am good.

Screw it, I'm just gonna go "career" mode on one hero and not switch anymore.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

objects in mirror posted:

Screw it, I'm just gonna go "career" mode on one hero and not switch anymore.

Noooooo...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pick a role, not a hero

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would say pick a hero in each role. I feel everyone should have a few heroes they are better at than others and be able to pick them if the team needs that role filled. Not roles as the defined Offense/Defense/Support, but tanky, healing, harassing, pushing, etc.

But then again, I'm no Twitch superstar so take that for what it's worth. It has just made me feel like a better player.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Turrets are just awful. I really hate the way that all the heroes I like playing are also the ones whose answer to turrets is pretty much "die to it and come back as somebody else", like Zarya or Zenyatta. In theory Zenyatta should be able to kill them from range, but in practice they seem to be able to murder him at any distance.

It's infuriating.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Zarya's great with turrets. If you can get a peek they're free shields. Bubble a teammate and let them do the fighting, or mortar them from a distance.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ps4 servers are down for emergency maintenance and idk what to do

Guess I'll go find Pokemon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I got a POTG as Zarya blowing a Lucio up with M2 and beaming down another two and some guy on the other team went "no skill point and click big laser, ooo ahh so hard"

:psyduck:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zarya's M1 is legitimately one of the hardest weapons to hit someone with in the entire game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've played Zarya a bit and I pretty much only use M2. It has been effective more often than not.

Am I missing out on something important by not using the M1? As mentioned, it's super hard to hit with.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ps4 servers are down for emergency maintenance and idk what to do

Guess I'll go find Pokemon

I feel your pain. I just took a Genji/Genji/Hanzo/Widow/Widow team to win on Hollywood attack by going Reinhardt who I never play and getting on the payload. One of our Genjis switched and we played protect the president to win and the whole team got kind of excited about talking in chat and coordination and then we got booted.

I'm not good enough to do that again blizzard.

E: QP not comp, obv.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 11, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ps4 servers up

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Get close enough that you can bash them with the iron fist of communism.

Then laugh at the stupid DVa who keeps charging up your gun.

Her m1 is a buzz saw of doom when charged. Get close and cut them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

a cat on an apple posted:

Flinging dead bodies onto the point is rarely a solution. Ideally, you'll want to slowly siege the point, taking control of ground and important locations until you have good space to initiate a solid teamfight that you can win. With Reinhardt and Winston, sure you can charge into the fray and initiate a battle nearly instantaneously, but you're doing so and putting yourself at the whim of the enemy team's control, as well as leaving most of your own team behind. For example, what does your Mercy do in that situation? Follow your dumb rear end and die instantly by being so far out in the open just to attempt to heal you, or stay behind out of range while you die? It's just a bad decision overall.

On the other hand, if you are just making good decisions and your team isn't following up, then you either need to dumb your decisions down so they can understand, switch to a hero they can work off of, or just eat the loss and understand that, statistically speaking, the enemy team is more likely to have x amount of idiots than your team is, because you're a known quantity.

By the time the third game rolled around I was mainly just resigned to the inevitable defeat, so I suppose I wasn't playing as well as I should have, but up until that point I was trying to stick with everyone and only range out to nail the backline. The second game it worked okay, we got like 50% on the cap point, but then we got pushed off and the third game was just nobody else making a push for me to link up with. I'm not super-mad at my team like they're the problem, it just didn't seem much more coordinated than quick play which a lot of people have suggested.

Speaking of which, after that I decided to just say gently caress it and do solo queue quick play and I went on a streak of awesome games, everyone on both sides were both skilled and cool people, I wound up sticking with the same group of random strangers for like eight back-to-back games and then when it dropped everyone out of the server they looked me back up and invited me to group up. Then we brought in a fourth on my contact list and continued to go on a tear. We had some really tight, close games, lots of communication, lots of hero switching, and then to cap it all off I nabbed the Viet Namverwatch skin for Soldier 76 who I'd been using to good effect throughout the night. There's no real moral here, I'm just happy to be back on my groove after several nights of losses, some of them demoralizing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I finally did it: I somehow got POTG as Lucio on Hollywood attack (so no knockback to death shenanigans).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Regalingualius posted:

I finally did it: I somehow got POTG as Lucio on Hollywood attack (so no knockback to death shenanigans).

I play a lot of Lucio and haven't had PotG with him even though I usually do well. The one time I thought I'd get it for sure (solo cleared the point of three enemies in OT) someone else on my team did something ridiculous that I couldn't even get mad about it was so good. Congrats!

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Game rules, even if after a week and a half I can only play Soldier 76 with anything approaching competency. I try to branch out with tactically smart heroes but then I realize I'd just be better off killing half their team.

I'll probably have to wean myself off of hitscan eventually but for now it's great.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ehud posted:

So when it says you can leave a match without penalty it means you will be suspended for 30 minutes if you do it too many times. Probably for the best. I've gone from 46 to 40 today.

We were in a comp match and one person left, we all had a countdown to "you may leave without penalty in "

Once that hit 0 i was suddenly 1 mercy Vv another team

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sarrisan posted:

Game rules, even if after a week and a half I can only play Soldier 76 with anything approaching competency. I try to branch out with tactically smart heroes but then I realize I'd just be better off killing half their team.

I'll probably have to wean myself off of hitscan eventually but for now it's great.

Nah I'm with you, I get a lot of work done as Soldier. All this evening I was playing him everywhere, on KotH, on payload attack, on defense, it got to the point where I was just instalocking him because A). I know I can be halfway useful as him and B). he's just such a great all-rounder. I've been trying to play more Pharah as well, and I'm getting better with her, but in the end I find that Soldier 76 is just about one of the best force multipliers in the game. Just find a battle buddy and 2v1 everyone you encounter, drop biotic fields, run a flank and tac visor their supports, he's the best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a cat on an apple posted:

Shoving Reinhardt through/behind them onto the Point as a sacrifice can work, but only if your guys are ready to sieze on the other team having to deal with an angry hammer-wielding/shield-protected German suddenly in their midst. Especially if he bounced a few aside on the way in or Pinned their healer. Otherwise he's just gonna be a momentary distraction.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
The most important thing to keep in mind about competitive is that it's ultimately a long grind. If you really are a good player, then you're just banking on the inevitability that you only have 5 possible idiots on your team, whereas the enemy has 6 possible idiots. In the meantime, it's not a bad idea to be critical of your own play to make sure you're not the idiot, though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My current comp ranking of low 40s is honestly probably pretty accurate, I have no illusions that I'm some secret shootmans savant...I skipped over the whole Team Fortress 2 thing and the last time I regularly played any sort of competitive FPS was Tribes and Unreal Tournament on a lovely 56k. The frustrating games are mainly the ones where it's clear that our team is being stymied but there's no one obvious solution to the problem that presents itself. It's one thing if you can say "hey someone deal with that Bastion," it's another when there are three or four problems going on all at once and it feels like there's you and one other dude on voice chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

TheresaJayne posted:

We were in a comp match and one person left, we all had a countdown to "you may leave without penalty in "

Once that hit 0 i was suddenly 1 mercy Vv another team

It wouldn't surprise me if a 6v1 could lead to people being kicked for not participating in combat for 3 minutes too.