Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dreddout posted:

This gave me an idea for a book!

A down and out favela kid needs money to pay for his zika infested family. Luckily, his shooting skills, acquired from years of robbing foreigners allows him to compete in the Rio Olympics! He has one chance to pay off his slumlord and become a soldier for his favela!

An underdog tale of the plucky ghetto kid going up against snobby elitists with stupid glasses. Can young Pablo survive?

Winning by default is still winning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

popewiles posted:

Feels good man

Seriously, that's the answer. Gotta put that hand somewhere and those frumpy clothes are mandatory so just jam that hand in a belt because the pockets suck.

The rifle shooters, on the other hand, wear stiff and restrictive clothing. Much like it is in cycling the actual winner of the event is whichever team shows up in the most garish outfit.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

In government news,

Brazil lower house speaker resigns over graft charges

"The man who led efforts to impeach suspended President Dilma Rousseff resigned as speaker of Brazil’s lower house of congress Thursday, but kept the legislative seat that could help shield him from corruption charges.

Brazil’s top court already had suspended Eduardo Cunha from his duties as speaker over allegations of obstructing justice and corruption, including holding Swiss bank accounts worth millions of dollars from purported bribes.

Cunha kicked off impeachment proceedings against Rousseff in December, accusing her of violating fiscal laws to hide problems in the government’s finances. Rousseff denies that.

Cunha’s allies have suggested that resigning the speakership would be his best chance to survive a full vote by the House of Deputies that could strip him of his congressional seat and thereby lift legal protections enjoyed by lawmakers.

The new speaker will be elected next Thursday."

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003065647

Place your bets until the next one resigns, or is corrupt [already, probably is but not officially], or just plain quits. I bet 3 weeks.

reading this report is kinda horrifying. are military killsquads a uniquely Brazilian thing?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why is the dude in the yellow jacket grabbing his junk

unaware of the graphic nature of phallic symbols
tragically ironic, suckin' off each others' gats & pistols

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

Overwatch costume designer has been getting some sweet freelance gigs it seems.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Profondo Rosso posted:

reading this report is kinda horrifying. are military killsquads a uniquely Brazilian thing?

p sure usa has police killsquads

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MisterOblivious posted:

Seriously, that's the answer. Gotta put that hand somewhere and those frumpy clothes are mandatory so just jam that hand in a belt because the pockets suck.

The rifle shooters, on the other hand, wear stiff and restrictive clothing. Much like it is in cycling the actual winner of the event is whichever team shows up in the most garish outfit.

is that so you don't get accidentally shot when you go to retrieve the bullets

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Mandate by law that all rifles conform to the Olympic blueprint, solve gun violence by making rifles intensely uncool

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They look like complicated high pressure washer hoses.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Even their feet are measured? Hell, why can't they just say "use this rifle, don't modify it, and the barrel must be at least this distance from the target when the bullet exits the rifle; you figure out the rest"?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its a sport dominated by autism

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AugmentedVision posted:

Mandate by law that all rifles conform to the Olympic blueprint, solve gun violence by making rifles intensely uncool

I dunno man, those look really cool, they're like future rail-lasers or something

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That may be the single most :gay: firing stance I have ever seen. I think it's the leg tilt.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I really don't understand this. Why is it that the more professional a sport becomes, the less fun everyone involved has and the more useless the skills become? If afternoon naps were a sport, within a few years it'd be dominated by gaunt pale people with precision aluminium pillows or something

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

I really don't understand this. Why is it that the more professional a sport becomes, the less fun everyone involved has and the more useless the skills become? If afternoon naps were a sport, within a few years it'd be dominated by gaunt pale people with precision aluminium pillows or something

Capitalism in it's end stage?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

What? They're not pretty, so they don't have the expectation that everything will be done for them default. They probably, sadly, have far more experience with social situations than your average Olympian, which would help them navigate a strange place better. They probably don't have coaches and parents that planned out their lives, so they've approached their sport more as a hobby, leaving time for other interests and skills to develop. Finally, and most importantly for Rio, they are comfortable and familiar with firearms.

Rio would still devour them, but it's the thought that counts.

Yes, the men who look like pedophiles are more socially well-adjusted than the globe-trotting, attractive athletes.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

The original Olympics ethos was that of amateurism, or being in it literally for the love of the sport. Competitors explicitly weren't allowed to be professionals, as taking money from the endeavour would taint the sport with the filthy touch of Lucre. For some odd reason all this was quietly forgotten when a) advances in medicine and biology meant that countries had an incentive to gain an edge through instituting government-sponsored youth training (doping) programs to gain National Glory and to flip off the Great Enemy (first the Nazis v. America, then the Cold War) and b) sponsors realized that the advent of television meant that millions of people began to tune in to follow the proceedings and holy hell there's some real loving cash money to be made here.

Thus a bunch of posh toffs emulating ancient Greek aristocrats and doing silly 'athletics' turned into the creepy celebration of super doped up people in their teens/early twenties sacrificing their entire youth (and the rest of their adult lives, basically) on the altar of Sports.

Chikimiki posted:

Capitalism in it's end stage?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Even their feet are measured? Hell, why can't they just say "use this rifle, don't modify it, and the barrel must be at least this distance from the target when the bullet exits the rifle; you figure out the rest"?

the olympics are an arms race of new cheating technology vs. anti-cheating detection, only no one is really interested in pursuing the latter too far. why wouldn't marksman events be included?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The one way they can make shooting more nerdy is to olympify that sport where people compete in shot grouping firing hand-made rounds out of a mounted gun-like device. Whatever it's called.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dreddout posted:

This gave me an idea for a book!

A down and out favela kid needs money to pay for his zika infested family. Luckily, his shooting skills, acquired from years of robbing foreigners allows him to compete in the Rio Olympics! He has one chance to pay off his slumlord and become a soldier for his favela!

An underdog tale of the plucky ghetto kid going up against snobby elitists with stupid glasses. Can young Pablo survive?

In a twist ending he wins but still dies because all of his prize money was embezzled months before the olympics

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

AugmentedVision posted:

lol ya ur gonna outcompete japan in anime ok

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SelenicMartian posted:

The one way they can make shooting more nerdy is to olympify that sport where people compete in shot grouping firing hand-made rounds out of a mounted gun-like device. Whatever it's called.

hahaha, 6mm benchrest

That's a rifle.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Looks indistinguishable from a regular vice, but more dangerous since you're more likely to forget it's a gun

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
That looks like something the janitor from Scrubs would invent.

Gun-vice! Safe, and practical!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

MisterOblivious posted:

Pistol shooters are not an attractive bunch.

I am in favour of these future cops from a low budget kids' tv show.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Rio 2016: Jordan Spieth withdraws from Olympic Games
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36768330

Another one bites the dust!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

What's up with those pistol headsets?
Who the hell finds out they get to wear an eye-patch and doesn't go for the classic pirate look?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

What's up with those pistol headsets?
Who the hell finds out they get to wear an eye-patch and doesn't go for the classic pirate look?

They make u look like someone who believes they r a real vampire hunter

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Hmm I can look like Big Boss or a low budget DragonBall Z TV movie extra...

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Get rid of golf from the Olympics and introduce Counter-Strike.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

"Noni posted:

Considering the goon community, I can't believe I'm the first to mention this, but have you considered pillow mods? Forget about those expensive, off-the-shelf premium pillows and build your own pillow rigs that have the qualities that you desire. Heck, some of those fancy commercial pillows should be avoided for their outright theft of components and ideas that were developed in the pillmod community. Notably, Serta's FaceHugger line was recalled entirely after they realized the looming PR disaster that a bunch of sleep nerds would incite.

I've been into pillow modding for a few years now and have managed to improve my sleep efficiency index from 0.69 to 0.85 (I'm a class 4b sleeper). You can build a full-featured pillmod for less than $100. Hell, I've made a half-dozen models and not spent more than $200.

Before you start modding, you should heed the standard warning and check if you have sleep apnea or anything medically obstructive. Sure, your vanilla pillows are probably annoying to sleep on, but sleep apnea could be compounding the issue by permitting minor annoyances, like pillow temperature, to wake you easily. More importantly, a few people with pillmods have died while sleeping. Although many of us doubt the involvement of their mods (people who enter the community are prone to sleep issues in the first place), it's still good advice to follow.

If you do have sleep apnea, then pillmods should be hugely advantageous. In fact, the pillmod community began around sleep apnea machines (CPAPs) and their inconveniences, especially for those whose preferred sleep postures are obstructed by CPAP facepieces. The earliest mods involved simply cutting channels into memory foam pillows, and then using freezer gel inserts to cool the pillow. They would also have to reinforce the channel so that the weight of a person's head wouldn't crush the air tubes.

But now, especially with the availability of Arduino kits and cooling systems intended for electronics, there are hundreds of pillmods that you could complete in a few hours.

It seems like most people are drawn to do PCS projects for their first mods. That's fine, but be aware that the better PCS (Pillow Coolant Systems) typically are of moderate difficulty or higher. They are also costly and time-consuming, relative to other mods you could start with such as glowmods, larms, and just simply modding a pillow's material and shape to your headspace.

Here's my first glowmod larm, for example:

This is a good starter mod combination because people like it for light therapy and smooth awakenings. The pillow gradually gets brighter until your wake-up time. You can also set it to gradually get darker at night. It's the adult version of those Glow-Worms that infants love.

But if you are dead-set on a PCS mod, I suggest strongly that you forget about those flashy, complex pillmods that involve watercooled networks of capillaries or, even worse, active heat sinks (such as piezoelectric heat transfer plates). Instead, opt for something silent, passive, and/or battery-based. For example, I have build a mod called "The Vulcan Nerve Pinch" that will get you about 20 degrees F in cooling delta on soft air ducting alone. Yeah, that's not much, but don't be the guy who blows $300 on his first project and builds a pillow that gives his face hypothermia on the first test run.

Once you get some basic know-how, and you're beyond the flashy mods and ready for something purely functional, check out shape or volume mods. These will actively keep your head at the perfect elevation. JB_Artgow is well known for his expertise in this area. I'm using his Face-Lover v3 mod (Affectionately also known as "Face-Fucker v3") every night. That's where Serta hijacked their FaceHugger brand name from. Allegedly.

The Face-Fucker involves inflation and deflation of semi-rigid water bladders to redistribute the pow's volume. It sounds complex, but it's easy if you buy a parts kit. It uses a silent pump and osmotic gradients to work. You can calibrate it based on both your head's weight and angle. Unlike many other volume mods, this is one-mod-fits-all, so you don't have to design around your giant noggin.

Artgow also has a ebook on Amazon (It's only $2), with instructions for something like 100 mods. He doesn't make money on the book, but he does make a few pennies if you buy parts kits from him directly. This beats the poo poo out of finding a Radio Shack that still stocks diodes and capacitors.

Now I'd like to brag for a bit and talk about some of the more exciting, extreme pillmod possibilities, some of which I just warned you against doing. I'm in the middle of building a custom, arduino-controlled pow with about 12 different mods. Although piezoelectric coolers are all the rage right now, I'm sticking to good old fashioned microducting for cooling. However, I'm using infrared LEDs for heating. The latter are normally expensive, but Dealextreme sells them in bulk for cheap. I think they're sold out recently thanks to jerks like me, however.

I don't like a warm face. The heating mod is just for camping in the cold or when I want to use the pillow as a heating pad for sore muscles. Also: sheer awesomeness.

Here's a schematic (not mine):

As for straight-up ducted cooling, the next image is my take on how one spiderwebs their coolant ducts. You have to be careful here not to bend the tiny tubes more than about 60 degrees or put them in a position where your noggin might bend them. That might look complex, but I used only 4 channels with a coolant turnover (in this case, just water) of 2 seconds for the entire surface to cycle.

By the way, medical tubing works just fine, but make sure that it's both flexible and a directional heat conductor, like Vekspan, which is used for anastomosis. If you buy non-direction stuff, hose down the pow-side with some plastidip from your hardware store, or just throw down a layer of aluminized cloth. The lovely crinkly stuff costs a whopping $1 at Dollar Tree, labeled as an "emergency blanket." You can pilfer the softer stuff from a BBQ apron.

Once this thing is done, I intend to stress test it by running both the heating and cooling systems and letting them fight it out to the death. Of course, in a battle of the PCS vs PHS, I suspect the PHS will win and then torch my pillow.

This pillow is directional, obviously. Because I can't flip it over, I've build the base and core layers from flexible expanded polystyrene and ceramic fibers, which will probably give me mesothelioma eventually, but drat if I won't be well rested at least. I was inspired by a dude who made a low-rent version of aerogel so that he could win an award for "Lightest Pillow" at Pillowcon 2010. My pow, without the mod gear, weighs 2 ounces.

Now, uniquely for me, because my bed is up against a brick wall, I need a pillow that can deal with a little bit of moisture. I like the brick wall for it being a huge heat sink, but it causes moisture to condense on pillows, especially fancy modded ones. This problem is solved by the combination of my core layers and a rechargeable dessicant. During the day, the dessicant tumbler is turned and heated, thus expelling moisture. It's so powerful that it'll suck the sweat right out of my massive head, but at least I'll never again have sweaty pillows.

Speaking of which, at Pillcon 2011, I was the massive fucker who won the door prize of John Cezrik's faux rabbit fur surface:

You'd think that such fur would be irritating against your face after a half-hour or so, but Cezrik's material has microcapillaries built to certain OCT ranges (OCT is optimal cheek temperature). It's like sleeping on a cloud of baby buttcheeks.

Speaking of babies, I actually enjoy the sound of water pumping through the coolant tubes right next to my ears. It's very soothing. Babies, apparently, are calmed by the sound of water swishing in your mouth right next to their ears, and that's what this is like.

Also being built into this pillow o' mine will be some alarm aromatics. Not only can I wake up to a gradually-brightening, sunny pow, but the aroma of my choice (Bacon) can also waft out.

And if the gentle sound of the water pumping isn't soothing enough, I've got three speakers and the Arduino can easily generate some white noise or play sounds of various environments like the motherfucking ocean. I prefer low-range, soft brown noise. I'll have none of that hissy poo poo that store-bought machines put out.

The nice thing about having noise generated in your pillow is that the sound doesn't permeate the rest of the room. So if your significant other likes a dead quiet room and you need some noise, this is a fine solution.

Of course, all those mods result in an awful lot of wiring:

That's enough pillmod talk, I suppose. gently caress it bitches, let's glow this joint:

If this kind of thing appeals to you, there's also the blanketmod community. However, I tend to stay away from them due to it being populated by perverts who essentially make sex toys out of their comforters, which they call, obviously, "cumforters." Pillmodders are, in essence, nerds who are poor sleepers. Blanketmodders, in contrast, cut dick-sized holes in blankets with anime patterns on them and think they're engineers.

There is, however, a clever mod that came out of that community that involves a mere $30 in parts and makes your bed vibrate like the "magic fingers" machines found in crappy motels. It's really just a few off-balance weights powered by scrap motors, but entertaining. If nothing else, that and your pows should be enough to get anyone into your beds, you creeps.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what any goon pillmod pals have done.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

This live action Transmetropolitan movie looks like poo poo.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Jusupov posted:

p sure usa has police killsquads

i do not think 1/5th of the murders in the us are committed by police, but i could be wrong

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

AugmentedVision posted:

this is what happens when autism discovers firearms

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tree Bucket posted:

If afternoon naps were a sport, within a few years it'd be dominated by gaunt pale people with precision aluminium pillows or something

I would loving dominate at this!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Just LOL if you don't put your athletes into a wind tunnel to minimize their coefficient of friction.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

he earned that blue star goddamn

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

*Shoots ziksquito out of air*
"No thanks I don't need your dammed zika blankets!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice