Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dipwood posted:

Pardon if this was mentioned before, but since the time machines are linked with the timelines they came from, wouldn't Trunks using this one return him to the future Cell was from? Toriyama is just going to ignore that, isn't he?

When did they say they were linked? I assumed that Bulmas time machine has a dial or knob or something that goes to alternate timelines, like the Tardis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Elfgames posted:

time travel is bullshit and nobody really knows how it works.

back the gently caress up, pissbitch, I'm a goddamn expert in time travel.

The answer is obviously that Trunks will return to his timeline because of the power of his love for Mai. Jesus.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

When did they say they were linked? I assumed that Bulmas time machine has a dial or knob or something that goes to alternate timelines, like the Tardis.

The assumption comes from the fact that when future trunks travels back to the future he arrives in 'his future' despite having changed the past. Presumably the same would be true of the cell time machine.

Then again both the cell time machine and the trunks time machine go back to the same past despite being from different futures, so who the gently caress knows.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Look man they saw a dude with a big power level and were all 'I'm gonna blow that up', they don't waste time with 'what the gently caress ARE you' and 'wait what' and 'no seriously how is that a thing'.

Probably had no reason to even suspect time travel was involved either, seeing as how he was clearly connected to Dr. Gero what with integrating Androids 17 and 18, boasting about his heritage, and having all the DNA from everyone. They probably assumed "Oh poo poo, a secret android we forgot about!" and got on with blowing him up. They don't know he needed time to gestate.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Caros posted:

The assumption comes from the fact that when future trunks travels back to the future he arrives in 'his future' despite having changed the past. Presumably the same would be true of the cell time machine.

Then again both the cell time machine and the trunks time machine go back to the same past despite being from different futures, so who the gently caress knows.

So Cell comes back from farther forward in time and therefore a different part of the multiverse.

Imagine every single moment in time creates a different multiverse based on decisions made at that point in time.

If you come from 10 years in the future and point your time machine 10 years back you hit universe (a). A person 11 years in the future pointing their time machine 11 years back also hits universe (a).

A person 11 years in the future pointing 10 years back hits a seperate universe though, universe (b).

So Trunks and Cell's time machine pointed to the same world because Cell coming from a few years farther into the future than trunks pointed his time machine farther back in time.

As long as Trunks points the Cell time machine however many years in the future his universe is, he'll hit his universe and not Cell's.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So Cell comes back from farther forward in time and therefore a different part of the multiverse.

Imagine every single moment in time creates a different multiverse based on decisions made at that point in time.

If you come from 10 years in the future and point your time machine 10 years back you hit universe (a). A person 11 years in the future pointing their time machine 11 years back also hits universe (a).

A person 11 years in the future pointing 10 years back hits a seperate universe though, universe (b).

So Trunks and Cell's time machine pointed to the same world because Cell coming from a few years farther into the future than trunks pointed his time machine farther back in time.

As long as Trunks points the Cell time machine however many years in the future his universe is, he'll hit his universe and not Cell's.

But Cell's time machine originated from a world where Trunks didn't kill Cell after killing the Androids. We know from Z that he did kill Cell because he already knew Cell was going to kill him and take the not-really-a-time machine. So presumably it would be set to go back to Dead Trunks Future and not Mai future.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

New Leaf posted:

But Cell's time machine originated from a world where Trunks didn't kill Cell after killing the Androids. We know from Z that he did kill Cell because he already knew Cell was going to kill him and take the not-really-a-time machine. So presumably it would be set to go back to Dead Trunks Future and not Mai future.

That timeline is identical to his home timeline except for him being dead.

He could just teleport to the moment of that timeline's Trunks' death and take his place--like Rick & Morty.

He'd have to kick another Dabura's rear end but eh worth it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

New Leaf posted:

This is where things get a little bizarre.

Cell's timeline is something like 5 years ahead of Trunks' assuming the Trunks (Now called Cell Trunks) from that world goes back in time 10 years, the same as our Trunks, then he encounters a universe 5 years ahead of the Dragonball universe.

Crucially this universe is completely different to the Dragonball universe and can pan out completely differently to the Dragonball universe, since my theory concedes that with multiverse theory there's no reason for any universe to pan out exactly like the others.

So if Cell then changes the time he goes back by, he hits the Dragonball universe.

You're right in that if the time machine is set to go back to the exact same amount of time in the future, it would get to Cell Trunks' universe. But if they change the time it goes forward by, they can instead hit Trunks' universe.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
It will work because of time shenanigans.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Pyroi posted:

It will work because of time shenanigans.

This, especially if Future Trunks gets an invite into the Time Patrol before the arc is over. He can then be taken to wherever he needs to go. Mai then either gets left behind to rebuild earth, or she becomes a Time Cop too. Her aging stuff may actually make her a type of time travel violator as well, so she might have to work for them for the same reasons.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
When are we getting back to zeno-sama and the infinite tournament? I want to see beerus get fired for being lazy and not destroying anything since his last nap.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

New Leaf posted:

the not-really-a-time machine.

What's all this about? Why wouldn't it be a real time machine?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

pik_d posted:

Because it isn't a time machine in the same way the DeLorean or the TARDIS is a time machine. The "past" Future Trunks (ironic name given my argument) is in right now isn't the past of his timestream, its a point in time in a parallel universe. All it did was create a parallel dimension that he can travel back and forth in, but he isn't going "back in time" in his timeline to fix anything.

It's the same way "Kid" Trunks isn't the child form of "Future" Trunks because their history from infancy is entirely different.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 11, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

pik_d posted:

Human-made time machines actually can't alter time at all. They instead create new timelines, separate from the original (Future Trunks' own timeline), thus they're more dimension machines than time machines.

Only Gods (Whis, Supreme Kai of Time), Demigra and Towa (for some reason) can perform actual time travelling.

Right now there's three "canon" timelines (Future Trunks', Cell's, and then the main one) with technically anything non-canon happening in timelines of their own (Xenoverse states that GT is its own timeline, and the Daizenshuus put at the very least Lord Slug in its own as well, likely the rest of the movies as well).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I imagine that Bulma's notes include the correct way to program the time machine to get Trunks home, or even that he knows how to program it himself. I very much doubt she's going to trust the last known settings of a machine that was wrecked by Cell. I doubt they'll address it at all actually.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Human-made time machines actually can't alter time at all. They instead create new timelines, separate from the original (Future Trunks' own timeline), thus they're more dimension machines than time machines.

Only Gods (Whis, Supreme Kai of Time), Demigra and Towa (for some reason) can perform actual time travelling.

Right now there's three "canon" timelines (Future Trunks', Cell's, and then the main one) with technically anything non-canon happening in timelines of their own (Xenoverse states that GT is its own timeline, and the Daizenshuus put at the very least Lord Slug in its own as well, likely the rest of the movies as well).

I thought it was stated that there were 4 timelines. Theres the past that the other future trunks went to.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
u guys know toriyama does not think aobut this poo poo like one bit right

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

tbp posted:

Yes! But that doesn't mean thinking isn't fun.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

tbp posted:

BUT ITS IMPORTANT FOR MY FANFIC!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

tbp posted:

That's how we ended up with Dragonball GT, yes. But this time around, I think he's more invested in making sure Dragonball Super is good. Future Trunks is good and Black Goku is good. That's all that really matters, isn't it?

We're getting hung up on the dynamics of a Time Machine, but we're completely accepting of the fact that the main DB cast just casually hangs out with supremely powerful Gods who could erase the Earth in a single moment, and that Goku can instantaneously travel through the entire span of the universe because he met some cool dudes once on an alien planet.

I mean, the whole premise of the show is that a dragon can be summoned by some magical balls and can grant wishes. None of it makes any sense, but it's good.

As a side note, why isn't Gohan helping Bulma with the Time Machine? I thought he was supposed to be scholarly and intelligent. What the hell is he studying, anyway? He should present a thesis about how Super Saiyan energy can be used to power a large-scale city for 20 years. Think of the application.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 11, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Oh I'm fine with the time machine magically working, I just talking about the continuity it itself has established. I don't need a ton of continuity in my puchman show.

And to be fair, they've been dealing with "gods" for decades now, even into DB.. Kami, the Eternal Dragons, King Yemma, King Kai, Supreme Kai.. They've just accepted that their lives are loving weird.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Jedah posted:

As a side note, why isn't Gohan helping Bulma with the Time Machine? I thought he was supposed to be scholarly and intelligent. What the hell is he studying, anyway? He should present a thesis about how Super Saiyan energy can be used to power a large-scale city for 20 years. Think of the application.

According to Online, it's kind of what he ends up doing. Writing a book on Ki control that revolutionizes the world.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

He's had it planned since the beginning.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jedah posted:

he's writing the ki version of the kamastura called kame sutra.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, Gohan is a college researcher from a dumb-as-bricks family, Bulma is a literal super-genius, daughter to another literal super-genius. Just because the guy likes books it doesn't mean he's qualified to help building a literal TIME MACHINE.

Also for all the talk of Saiyan power creep, Bulma herself is becoming more and more of a science wizard as time goes by. "Oh, I can make this radar that finds ancient magical artifacts", "Oh, I can reverse engineer fuckin' alien technology to do inter-planetary travel, also I can make gravitational wells on-demand", "ah, about that radar, now I can use it to scour the UNIVERSE for that poo poo", "nevermind all that, LITERAL TIME TRAVEL".

She's gonna solve the "only Goku can teleport" issue by giving Vegeta a teleporter one of these days.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

StrifeHira posted:

According to Online, it's kind of what he ends up doing. Writing a book on Ki control that revolutionizes the world.
Ah, I had no idea. That's pretty awesome.

Dias posted:

I mean, Gohan is a college researcher from a dumb-as-bricks family, Bulma is a literal super-genius, daughter to another literal super-genius. Just because the guy likes books it doesn't mean he's qualified to help building a literal TIME MACHINE.
OK, you may have a solid point here. Gohan can become the first Super Saiyan energy mogul instead. Once he has Mr. Satan's endorsement, the billions will come rolling in. Then Goku can switch his profession from cabbage farmer to human battery. Chi-chi won't mind, as long as he's bringing home the dough. Plus, Goku can think of it as "training."

Kild posted:

he's writing the ki version of the kamastura called kame sutra.
I loved everything about this reply.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Also for all the talk of Saiyan power creep, Bulma herself is becoming more and more of a science wizard as time goes by. "Oh, I can make this radar that finds ancient magical artifacts", "Oh, I can reverse engineer fuckin' alien technology to do inter-planetary travel, also I can make gravitational wells on-demand", "ah, about that radar, now I can use it to scour the UNIVERSE for that poo poo", "nevermind all that, LITERAL TIME TRAVEL".

She's gonna solve the "only Goku can teleport" issue by giving Vegeta a teleporter one of these days.

It is well established that Bulma has always been the most powerful. Even Whis seems a little freaked out by her now, where as he looks at Goku and Vegita as dumb children.

Though Gohan might be able to help her with the research anyway. Couldn't he turn super sayjin and read an entire library in one second (like The Flash)?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bulma clearly needs to invent power armor for herself so she can participate directly in fights

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku should stop being such a dick and teach his friends how to teleport imo

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

It is well established that Bulma has always been the most powerful. Even Whis seems a little freaked out by her now, where as he looks at Goku and Vegita as dumb children.

Though Gohan might be able to help her with the research anyway. Couldn't he turn super sayjin and read an entire library in one second (like The Flash)?

even if he could what good is reading a bunch of books you don't understand?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Bulma clearly needs to invent power armor for herself so she can participate directly in fights

Correction, Bulma doesn't need to invent anything, she needs to improve her power armor. I bet with a pocket full of capsules she could beat Yamcha in a direct fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRkiJ21SiE

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 11, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shinjobi posted:

back the gently caress up, pissbitch, I'm a goddamn expert in time travel.

The answer is obviously that Trunks will return to his timeline because of the power of his love for Mai. Jesus.

Uh, obviously they're going to use it and then the Time Patrol shows up and says "Stop or we will Blue Tornado".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Remember, the only reason that the sayjins and androids and Perfect Cell even became threats was because everyone told Bulma it was unsportsmanlike to murder them with the dragonballs. If she didn't have Goku to rely on she would have wished herself immortal long ago and dealt with Frieza personally. :black101:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Rutibex posted:

Correction, Bulma doesn't need to invent anything, she needs to improve her power armor. I bet with a pocket full of capsules she could beat Yamcha in a direct fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRkiJ21SiE

Well of course she can beat Yamcha, she could probably beat Chaotzu too.

For everyone else, she has her son and boy-toy to handle for her.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rutibex posted:

Remember, the only reason that the sayjins and androids and Perfect Cell even became threats was because everyone told Bulma it was unsportsmanlike to murder them with the dragonballs. If she didn't have Goku to rely on she would have wished herself immortal long ago and dealt with Frieza personally. :black101:

Seriously. Everyone's worried about which time machine goes to which future... Just wish that poo poo, bro.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rutibex posted:

That isn't quite true. The Dragon Balls couldn't kill any of those, Oolong did try to wish to just get rid of the Saiyans only for Shenlong to refuse the wish. That said, the entire Androids saga does happen because people don't listen to Bulma, her first idea upon getting Trunks' info was to go to Dr. Gero's lab and just kill the Androids before they awaken. Sadly, everyone else really wanted to fight them (except for Krillin, who merely wanted a way to turn Vegeta to the good side).

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Pyroi posted:

Well of course she can beat Yamcha, she could probably beat Chaotzu too.

Yeah, but why would you want to beat up Chaotzu? That's like picking a fight with the elderly or the infirm. It's an awfully low bar to set for herself. Bulma is an ambitious person.

She could visit the home planet of the Metalmen and figure how to to replicate their ultra-resilient armor. Magetta managed to tank attacks by a pissed off Vegeta, which was pretty impressive. If Bulma could somehow combine her gravity chamber technology with the durable Metalman armor, it's possible she could negate some of the extreme weight, and gain back some mobility. Magetta weighed like 1,000 tons, so he couldn't fly. But, on the other hand, he was one of the most indestructible beings we've seen so far. Bulma could basically create a super-powered Ironman suit for herself.

I'd suggest stealing Dr. Gero's tech, but all his creations have been defeated.

Huh. I never really considered it before, but an Evil Bulma would pose a real problem for the Dragonball cast. Especially if Vegeta became her personal henchman.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

That isn't quite true. The Dragon Balls couldn't kill any of those, Oolong did try to wish to just get rid of the Saiyans only for Shenlong to refuse the wish. That said, the entire Androids saga does happen because people don't listen to Bulma, her first idea upon getting Trunks' info was to go to Dr. Gero's lab and just kill the Androids before they awaken. Sadly, everyone else really wanted to fight them (except for Krillin, who merely wanted a way to turn Vegeta to the good side).

Yeah but right after Oolong tried that Bulma suggested wishing for their space ships to fail (instead of killing them directly). They were in stasis in deep space, that would have likely killed them. They didn't try Bulmas idea.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bulma succeeded where Krillin failed. Love and family turned him good!

• Locked thread