Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Today I experienced a sense of relief that Therese May was going to be PM and I don't understand what the last few weeks have done to the wiring of my brain to make that emotion possible.

mediadave posted:

I cannot believe this thread is being so sanguine about Corbyn. I mean, you all KNOW he cannot win. There is absolutely no rejection or disagreement with this. Corbyn is going to lead Labour to a historic loss at a time when the UK needs an alternative government. And based on his behaviour over the last few weeks, he will not resign even then. Don't...does nobody care?

They don't want to win. Winning means doing things like compromising. It's better to stick rigidly to principles and be morally superior and lose unfairly because you're a victim of the biased media, the PLP, the voters etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So is it my understanding this is how the UK always elects Prime Ministers? They get a bunch of people together and the last person to yell Not It is the Prime Minister?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Fans posted:

Yes, a few times they've been a few points over the Conservatives.

Only one as far as I am aware that has ever shown a Labour lead is Yougov. Rest have been consistent with Conservatives leading.

Edit: just checked, and Yougov is the only polling company to ever show Labour in the lead since Corbyn has been Leader. Survation had Labour on same percentage as Conservatives 1 time, but normally the Tories have a 4+ lead.

ukle fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 11, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Please enjoy some more of Angela Eagle watching her own campaign die in front of her before she's even finished announcing it.

https://twitter.com/conor_mcnally/status/752468677950337024/video/1

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fans posted:

Please enjoy some more of Angela Eagle watching her own campaign die in front of her before she's even finished announcing it.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAA

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Implied Consent posted:

My (imaginary) money's on Home Secretary. To be Chancellor you need to be able to count your legs (but not much more). To be Home Secretary you just have to be stupid. Evilness is only a requirement at the treasury. May was qualified for both posts. She might well have become the Chancer if Cameron hadn't already promised it to Gideon when a Tory PR twonk mentioned it might look bad if there were no women on the first three benches, and May happened to have her phone fully charged at the time.

Are you calling Theresa may stupid? Can I ask on what grounds?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fans posted:

lol

maybe if she'd put it off another week or two or three it would have gone better

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Fans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCYMvaUcrA

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

That doesn't sound like a great idea. Surely repealing one of their own anti-corruption bills immediately before an election would be a bit of an own goal?

It's not an anti-corruption bill? The idea was to bind the 2010 Coalition together. That doesn't exist any more.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Watching Angela Eagle is unironically like watching an episode of the office

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
gently caress, i just became a member of the Liberal Democrats. What the gently caress is happening?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

Today I experienced a sense of relief that Therese May was going to be PM and I don't understand what the last few weeks have done to the wiring of my brain to make that emotion possible.

They don't want to win. Winning means doing things like compromising. It's better to stick rigidly to principles and be morally superior and lose unfairly because you're a victim of the biased media, the PLP, the voters etc

remember when it was clear that he was going to become the next leader and there were stories even then that they'd be getting rid of him at the first opportunity possible. most of the labour MP's weren't ever willing to compromise

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fans posted:

I was just coming to post exactly that. Oh my god. I came away from that just feeling sad for her. She had to be put up to this by PLP colleagues who had something on her. Right? Like Corbyn last year, who ran because someone from the Labour left always tries to run & this time it was his turn to be the one who loses just to remind people that they exist.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

gently caress, i just became a member of the Liberal Democrats. What the gently caress is happening?

What is it about the Orange Book that attracted you to the Liberal Democrats? Was it the "gently caress you" section or the "got mine" section?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You just had a political awakening. How does it feel?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

it's ok, it's reversible

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Cthulhu is no longer sleeping in R'lyeh.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

So if a general election gets called, do Labour manage to get their leadership election scheduled before or after?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You need to question your life choices.

Nobody should ever decide becoming a Lib Dem member is a wise choice, given Clegg showed the parties true colours.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

You just had a political awakening. How does it feel?

I'm rapidly becoming convinced that you are actually either Dan Jarvis or Angela/Maria Eagle.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cerv posted:

425 out of 750 vs 340 out of 650
You're talking a couple of percentage points difference

Not that the size of it matters legitimacy wise once you pass the threshold of having the confidence of a majority in the chamber

The undemocratic nature of European governance was a major Leave campaigning line. (Five unelected presidents! Who are you? Nobody voted for you!)

Now we have a PM decided by 199 Members of Parliament, and – barring Labour or the SNP voting for her in the confidence vote – enjoys less confidence in the British Parliament than Juncker has in the European (52% vs 57%).

It's so ironic that Alanis Morissette could write a song about it.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Noxville posted:

So if a general election gets called, do Labour manage to get their leadership election scheduled before or after?

It wont be called before the Summer recess. But given how hosed up Labour leadership elections are then its probably going to be close.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Bad luck old chap :clegg:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ukle posted:

You need to question your life choices.

Nobody should ever decide becoming a Lib Dem member is a wise choice, given Clegg showed the parties true colours.
If you were a Tory and you joined the Lib Dems, it'd be a step in the right direction, at least.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

So is it my understanding this is how the UK always elects Prime Ministers? They get a bunch of people together and the last person to yell Not It is the Prime Minister?

I can see why you might think that, but no. What actually happens is the Queen asks one of her mates to do it.

ukle posted:

This seems like an unfair way to look at it. It's like claiming that Blair showed the Labour party's true colours.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How many MPs will Corbyn have to lose before he considers quitting?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

I for one am excited about the meteoric 0.75% rise in the value of the pound.
A 1% movement in a day is quite a lot in normal circumstances.

Remember normal circumstances? I think I vaguely do, in the dim, half-forgotten past...

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

forkboy84 posted:

I was just coming to post exactly that. Oh my god. I came away from that just feeling sad for her. She had to be put up to this by PLP colleagues who had something on her. Right? Like Corbyn last year, who ran because someone from the Labour left always tries to run & this time it was his turn to be the one who loses just to remind people that they exist.

What is it about the Orange Book that attracted you to the Liberal Democrats? Was it the "gently caress you" section or the "got mine" section?

To be fair I have always been a lib-dem voter, but was incredibly disheartened with the coalition effort. However the fiasco of British politics this past month have actually convinced myself to become a member.

HOLY poo poo I just saw Angela Eagles 'I AM A WOMAN' speech on the news. Almost expected 'This is a mans world' to be played during her dramatic pause.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

How many MPs will Corbyn have to lose before he considers quitting?

I don't think he sees a correlation.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

To be fair I have always been a lib-dem voter, but was incredibly disheartened with the coalition effort. However the fiasco of British politics this past month have actually convinced myself to become a member.

How do you feel about Jeremy Corbyn?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Fans posted:

Oh my god.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think Lib Dem voters feel anything anymore.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

The undemocratic nature of European governance was a major Leave campaigning line. (Five unelected presidents! Who are you? Nobody voted for you!)

Now we have a PM decided by 199 Members of Parliament, and – barring Labour or the SNP voting for her in the confidence vote – enjoys less confidence in the British Parliament than Juncker has in the European (52% vs 57%).

It's so ironic that Alanis Morissette could write a song about it.
That would mean it's not ironic at all!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

A 1% movement in a day is quite a lot in normal circumstances.

Remember normal circumstances? I think I vaguely do, in the dim, half-forgotten past...
But following such a huge readjustment it's hardly the great sterling recovery, it's just barely reverting the previous loss.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

HOLY poo poo I just saw Angela Eagles 'I AM A WOMAN' speech on the news. Almost expected 'This is a mans world' to be played during her dramatic pause.

You are due an awakening, if you start to become and active member of the Lib Dem's. I used to be but the kind of talk locally from the senior members after the start of the coalition made me quit, they were all mini Cleggs who thought was better to be in power than actually keep to the promises. They now appear to me to be a lot like the worst parts of the PLP.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn is a mix of 'talks perfect sense' and 'batshit insane'. I do feel for him though in regards to the abysmal coup and I applaud him digging in his heels and retaining his leadership until he will obviously be voted back as the labour leader

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah, definitely feeling bad for Angela now. I hope after Jeremy steamrolls her in the contest he just has a quiet comforting word with her or something. She's probably hating herself right now and it's only partially her own fault.

Also if there is a GE all Labour has to do is say they'll Brexit but match any direct EU funding lost from it and then launch an actual industrial policy which actually helps the north (put the new runway up there, make HS2 not just a quick way to get to London) and nationalise the drat steel and they'll pull support from all over the place in England.

No one can do anything about Scotland now except the Scottish.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The best part of Lib Dem membership is going to Conference, getting blackout drunk on the final night, and singing songs about how "Tony Blair can gently caress off and die".

Seriously, Glee Club is worth the membership fee alone. :colbert:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ukle posted:

You are due an awakening, if you start to become and active member of the Lib Dem's. I used to be but the kind of talk locally from the senior members after the start of the coalition made me quit, they were all mini Cleggs who thought was better to be in power than actually keep to the promises. They now appear to me to be a lot like the worst parts of the PLP.

I hear that from a friend of mine who got involved in Lib Dem council politics: He got roped in to standing for a seat, won it, and a few months later hates the entire party.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

To be fair I have always been a lib-dem voter
You have my sympathy.

Though I should admit that I've voted for the Liberals as often as I've voted for Labour. Once. I was young & a fool & hadn't realised that not all Lib Dems were good eggs like ol' Chaz Kennedy. Plus we knew very little about our new Lib Dem candidate in 2005 except that he wasn't the incumbent, who was a faceless Blairite that got elected in '97, & he was the only one close enough to challenge him. Of course, he turned out to be Danny Alexander, the Tories favourite Liberal, so that was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

Seriously, Glee Club is worth the membership fee alone. :colbert:

No musical club is worth your soul.

• Locked thread