Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

That Works posted:

Yeah he/she ran out of coals tho

old cutting boards you don't like any more burn pretty good, lovely quilts you got from your inlaws do alright, old pet toys, that weird shaped wooden spoon you never use can sometimes work, old college books do corn pretty well, worn out shoes catch fire alright too...

coals are all around you... *~~light the match~~*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast this morning, everything was from scratch and it turned out really good, but i think the biscuits could have been better, what is the best way to make biscuits?

I just put flour, baking soda, and crisco into my ninja chop and blended it all together for a while, the biscuits came out okay but I know they could be a lot better with some advice (:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
GWS General Chat: Burn your shoes for the corn gods

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I hardly ever grill on a fire, living in the UK as I do (although I grew up in South Africa where it's a big part of the culture), so I'm not really going to light a fire just for some corn.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nooner posted:

I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast this morning, everything was from scratch and it turned out really good, but i think the biscuits could have been better, what is the best way to make biscuits?

I just put flour, baking soda, and crisco into my ninja chop and blended it all together for a while, the biscuits came out okay but I know they could be a lot better with some advice (:

The secret to a good biscuit is to add your fats into the flour cold, and combine jussssst until the dough resembles a coarse meal, like sand. Add fats at room temperature and your biscuits will come out too dense. You should mix it by hand in a big bowl for better aeration and then add buttermilk until the dough just starts to come together.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

exquisite tea posted:

The secret to a good biscuit is to add your fats into the flour cold, and combine jussssst until the dough resembles a coarse meal, like sand. Add fats at room temperature and your biscuits will come out too dense. You should mix it by hand in a big bowl for better aeration and then add buttermilk until the dough just starts to come together.

how do you recommend mixing it? The recipe I looked up said to just mix the shortening in with a fork but it seemed to stay all clumped up and not mix evenly at all, which is why i decided to try the blender. Also it was room temperature as I mixed it in, so I'll make sure to fridge it the night before next tie I make it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I do it by hand just until it crosses the threshold from unassociated clumps of crap to "almost uniform but not really" and that seems to work. Overmixing is pretty common issue with homemade biscuits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I add the butter in cold in 1tbl chunks and pound it down with a whisk. The friction should heat up the butter just enough to get it to clump, but you really don't want the dough to come together at that point. It should have the texture of coarse sand and there should still be visible globs of butter in the dough.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Nooner posted:

how do you recommend mixing it? The recipe I looked up said to just mix the shortening in with a fork but it seemed to stay all clumped up and not mix evenly at all, which is why i decided to try the blender. Also it was room temperature as I mixed it in, so I'll make sure to fridge it the night before next tie I make it

Use 2 forks or a pastry blender

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nooner posted:

There is a reason old-timey depictions of bakers show them with enormous forearms: doing it by hand takes some effort (and a little bit of skill).

They make this thing called a pastry blender; if you want to cut the butter in by hand, it's much easier to use then a fork (or forks).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I shave the cold fat into the flour with a knife lime I'm whittling wood, then mix those shavings in by hand. Works great and makes for good flaky biscuits.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

Friend of mine has some model of recent air fryer. He liked it for making hotwings without a lot of hassle.

Not sure what else he's gotten up to but if it could do tempura vegetables etc that might be a neat thing to have.

I'm coming around, after she baked me a pizza for lunch. Less then ten minutes, and no pre-heating. After a couple of false starts, she managed to bake some good bread.

We haven't made any fries yet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I shave the cold fat into the flour with a knife lime I'm whittling wood, then mix those shavings in by hand. Works great and makes for good flaky biscuits.

Same, but I freeze the butter and use a box grater that also spent a few hours in the freezer. My biscuits still kinda suck but my grandma had about a 30 year headstart on me, so maybe another decade or so I can get them good.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I freeze the butter and microplane it. The end of the butter that you're holding onto will get too warm, so don't use it, save it for something else.

When I'm somewhere without a microplane, I go slightly berserk with two knives and tbh there's not a ton of difference.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

See, while butter is good for biscuits, you really need to switch to lard. That's when your biscuit game steps up.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Also, in more vegas eating news. Fuku burger's storefront rules for getting crunk, huntridge still rules for getting drunk.

Tho I'm cocktailing at atomic now and it's good - cocktails stand up to the reno joints.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 10, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

See, while butter is good for biscuits, you really need to switch to lard. That's when your biscuit game steps up.

Use Duck Fat For Everything.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Use Duck Fat For Everything.

GWS General Chat: Duck it

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Seriously though, use chilled lard and cutting it in with forks will work fine, if a touch tedious. You will just need to work a bit more briskly that way. poo poo will still end up flaky and delicious as gently caress.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I wish I knew where I would even look to find lard. :sweden:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

In the larder, of course.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MiddleOne posted:

Find a butcher and ask if they sell lard or know where to get it. Leaf lard is the best, but any sort of pig fat will work. Rendering it is extremely simple: just cook it over extremely low heat until it's all, well, rendered.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Iif you don't have a vented hood, don't make it in winter or it will stink your entire house up.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

MiddleOne posted:

My local ICA Maxi sells Danish ister. Have you checked if stores close to you can order some for you?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
One good thing about 'merica, I don't think I've ever been in a grocery store that doesn't have lard.

Hell, one time I forgot to get lard to make my Christmas tamales, and on December 24th all the stores were closed, so I ran by a gas station and they loving had that poo poo. Those tamales were good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

Steve Yun posted:

Here's a really good article by Harold McGee about it, which also points out that the presence of alcohol also reduces the amount of water soaked up by the starch in the batter:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/dining/07curious.html?_r=0

(rhetorical question): How is the new york times so good at cooking and food/restaurant reporting, and so bad at food/nutrition/policy/evidence?

quote:

Is Sushi ‘Healthy’? What About Granola? Where Americans and Nutritionists Disagree

We surveyed Americans and a panel of nutrition experts about which foods they thought were good or bad for you.

Their survey was "here's a list of food, state how healthy they are as a percentage". Their "panel of nutrition experts" was a random survey of a nutritionist association. Nutritionists are a completely unregulated pseudoprofession in the US.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

How is pizza ranked so low on the health scale by both the average American and nutritionists, yet all the individual components of pizza ranked so high? Pizza is pretty much the perfect food, and good for you. Eat more pizza.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
The pizza is Processed and Unnatural. Red meat, cheese, and bread, are Unprocessed and Organic.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Also, do chain and frozen pizzas not have way too much sodium for the average person?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Discendo Vox posted:

The pizza is Processed and Unnatural. Red meat, cheese, and bread, are Unprocessed and Organic.

This is why I plant hot-dogs every year. Maybe our climate is just too hot for hot-dogs?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rgocs posted:

Also, do chain and frozen pizzas not have way too much sodium for the average person?

Applies to restaurants and frozen food.

And salt isn't bad for you unless you have certain health issues

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
In sufficient quantities, yes it is.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

...ister? Pork fat is our common Scandinavian birthright.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Also, in more vegas eating news. Fuku burger's storefront rules for getting crunk, huntridge still rules for getting drunk.

Tho I'm cocktailing at atomic now and it's good - cocktails stand up to the reno joints.

Atomic is my favorite bar in town and I'd be there a lot more often if it wasn't a 25 minute drive home.

Waci posted:

In sufficient quantities, yes it is.

If you have normal kidney function and are not extremely dehydrated, it's hard to get enough salt for it to be actually bad. Studies linking salt consumption to negative health results are in general poorly controlled or have such a small sample size as to be useless. That's true of almost all food "health" studies, which has led to the Amazing Miracle Food of the Decade that comes around every three days and makes a portion of the population get stupid about eating acai berries or chia seed or whatever.

If you're a normal healthy adult, eat as much salt as you want..

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Salt is like the biggest food boogeyman out there right now for how harmless and poorly understood its negative effects are, if there even are any. I love my family but I blame their ignorance for why our dinners growing up always sucked, because they thought salt was bad for you and never added it to anything. Salt makes things taste good and is a cooking necessity for enjoying life, not an option, my friends. And you know what also typically contains large amounts of salt? Pizza, which is pretty much nature's most perfect food.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Salt is like the biggest food boogeyman out there right now for how harmless and poorly understood its negative effects are, if there even are any. I love my family but I blame their ignorance for why our dinners growing up always sucked, because they thought salt was bad for you and never added it to anything. Salt makes things taste good and is a cooking necessity for enjoying life, not an option, my friends. And you know what also typically contains large amounts of salt? Pizza, which is pretty much nature's most perfect food.

I just had pizza for lunch. I added salt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

:yeah:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

bartolimu posted:

Atomic is my favorite bar in town and I'd be there a lot more often if it wasn't a 25 minute drive home.
If you have normal kidney function and are not extremely dehydrated, it's hard to get enough salt for it to be actually bad. Studies linking salt consumption to negative health results are in general poorly controlled or have such a small sample size as to be useless. That's true of almost all food "health" studies, which has led to the Amazing Miracle Food of the Decade that comes around every three days and makes a portion of the population get stupid about eating acai berries or chia seed or whatever.
If you're a normal healthy adult, eat as much salt as you want..

exquisite tea posted:

Is there no correlation then between obesity, salt, and blood pressure? I heard the low-salt low-BP connection is true if you're overweight. Then again I read that on a website that won't shut up about superfoods.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you're obese then it's probably wise to cut down on sodium intake, but then again it's even better to cut down on all food altogether. Obesity adds risk factors that aren't present in those with a healthy BMI, and foods with characteristically high salt content are often junk that you shouldn't be eating to begin with. So there's a correlation there, but the direct connection between salt --> bad for you is poorly understood and there's actually no scientific basis in anything for the FDA's daily recommendations for sodium. If you're a healthy weight and have normal blood pressure, salt the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Force de Fappe posted:

...ister? Pork fat is our common Scandinavian birthright.

Jo men ankfett var det jag tänkte på. :v: