Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm watching season 2 of TNG and I think it's funny that about halfway through they decided that Data shouldn't be completely autistic all the time.
My favorite are the "surprised crew reactions" that happen now and then. Will Data sperg or will he join in on the emotion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

remusclaw posted:

It's unfortunate how Data regressed in the movies. Then again, the TNG movies were all pretty off on characterization, didn't Troi lose her accent?

I think Marina Sirtis forgot how to do it in the break between movies somewhere around First contact or Insurrection.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

remusclaw posted:

It's unfortunate how Data regressed in the movies. Then again, the TNG movies were all pretty off on characterization, didn't Troi lose her accent?

The TNG movies are all terrible in a number of spectacular ways and are a large part of why the IP took a nosedive that only recovered in 2009. Picard for example forgets his entire characterization arc from the series in First Contact, in hilarious fashion. This is generally agreed to be the "good" TNG movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

And yes I know the 2009 movie is not exactly fantastic by any stretch and Into Darkness is a shitshow.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The TOS movies enhanced the characters.
The TNG movies desecrated the characters .

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm a little baffled as to why the TNG crew got movies besides "successful tv show." Otherwise we should have gotten the DS9 spy thriller we deserved :(

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

HIJK posted:

I'm a little baffled as to why the TNG crew got movies besides "successful tv show." Otherwise we should have gotten the DS9 spy thriller we deserved :(

Paramount wanted a pile of :10bux:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Since when do Star Trek fans deserve anything good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platonicsolid posted:

Pretty much. CBS got their turn, time to squeeze out what's left.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Speaking of TNG and DS9 movies, I've always wodered why Worf was in the last two, in Insurrection he's just there for really poor jokes, and in Nemesis he's just kinda there. I used to think they were just bringing him back to make sure the Worf fans came to the cinema but they didn't really give him much in the way of signature moments.

Then I heard that Michael Dorn would only agree to help relaunch DS9 if he was guaranteed a role in every TNG film. And suddenly it all clicked into place.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty much. CBS got their turn, time to squeeze out what's left.

I believe they were still the same company at the time.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Baka-nin posted:

Speaking of TNG and DS9 movies, I've always wodered why Worf was in the last two, in Insurrection he's just there for really poor jokes, and in Nemesis he's just kinda there. I used to think they were just bringing him back to make sure the Worf fans came to the cinema but they didn't really give him much in the way of signature moments.

Then I heard that Michael Dorn would only agree to help relaunch DS9 if he was guaranteed a role in every TNG film. And suddenly it all clicked into place.
The scene in Insurrection where Worf wakes up from a nightmare aboard the Enterprise was supposed to be him dreaming about Jadzia.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Strange Matter posted:

The scene in Insurrection where Worf wakes up from a nightmare aboard the Enterprise was supposed to be him dreaming about Jadzia.

http://i.imgur.com/o4gm4eL.mp4

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HIJK posted:

Why did the TOS crew get movies, and why wouldn't that reason also have applied to TNG?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DS9 was probably better for not getting a movie because it would have had a ton of Prophet nonsense because of the Sisko returning from the wormtemple

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The TNG movies are all terrible in a number of spectacular ways and are a large part of why the IP took a nosedive that only recovered in 2009. Picard for example forgets his entire characterization arc from the series in First Contact, in hilarious fashion. This is generally agreed to be the "good" TNG movie.

I wouldn't say Star Trek is "recovered". ST09 did okay in the box office, but general audiences have kind of forgotten it by now. The only people who really remember it are Trekkies. STID didn't do so hot. Both of them are kind of disposable Hollywood blockbusters and aren't that big in the cultural zestiest. They didn't really bring in a bunch of new fans.

In fact, barely any of my friends like Star Trek. I grew up with it in the 90s and I'm one year away from being 30. Almost nobody under 30 likes Star Trek, mainly because the height of the franchise was in the 90s and it slowly declined into obscurity by the end of the decade. The last Star Trek show that was big was TNG. Right now, the "hot" "geeky" things are Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Marvel and Dr. Who. Star Trek is relatively unpopular, mainly because it hasn't been on air for a decade and its last few years on TV sucked.

I doubt the new show will really "bring it back" because it's on CBS all access. The only people who will watch it are existing fans, it won't get new ones.

So JJTrek hasn't really "revitalized" the franchise, if anything it just kept it running on life support. When the movie came out I was pretty hopeful that it would spawn a new TV series, but it's been 7 years. They waited a long time between movies and finally making a show. ST09 and STID are the only Star Trek things we've gotten since Enterprise was cancelled in 2004. It's been well over a decade since Trek has been on TV. The JJ movies are better than nothing, but for the most part, things feel pretty quiet on the Star Trek front.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Why did the TOS crew get movies, and why wouldn't that reason also have applied to TNG?

Star wars came out. A sci-fi movie can make lots of money so they brought back star trek. They continued with TNG because they still had sets and costumes and people still went to star trek movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wouldn't say Star Trek is "recovered". ST09 did okay in the box office, but general audiences have kind of forgotten it by now. The only people who really remember it are Trekkies. STID didn't do so hot. Both of them are kind of disposable Hollywood blockbusters and aren't that big in the cultural zestiest. They didn't really bring in a bunch of new fans.

In fact, barely any of my friends like Star Trek. I grew up with it in the 90s and I'm one year away from being 30. Almost nobody under 30 likes Star Trek, mainly because the height of the franchise was in the 90s and it slowly declined into obscurity by the end of the decade. The last Star Trek show that was big was TNG. Right now, the "hot" "geeky" things are Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Marvel and Dr. Who. Star Trek is relatively unpopular, mainly because it hasn't been on air for a decade and its last few years on TV sucked.

I doubt the new show will really "bring it back" because it's on CBS all access. The only people who will watch it are existing fans, it won't get new ones.

So JJTrek hasn't really "revitalized" the franchise, if anything it just kept it running on life support. When the movie came out I was pretty hopeful that it would spawn a new TV series, but it's been 7 years. They waited a long time between movies and finally making a show. ST09 and STID are the only Star Trek things we've gotten since Enterprise was cancelled in 2004. It's been well over a decade since Trek has been on TV. The JJ movies are better than nothing, but for the most part, things feel pretty quiet on the Star Trek front.
Into Darkness was the highest-grossing Star Trek movie yet. It was only a failure in the critical sense.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Both of them are kind of disposable Hollywood blockbusters and aren't that big in the cultural zestiest. They didn't really bring in a bunch of new fans.

I think that's the biggest thing. The two recent haven't really brought anything new to the table. Certain things about Star Trek are imbedded in culture. Kirk is a womanizer, you can take out a 7 foot tall lizard with a homemade cannon, there's only one good piece of fighting music, Picard makes it so and does the perfect embodiment of a face palm, resistance is futile... the list goes on.

Granted, that all takes time and two movies isn't all that much screentime to make that mark, but it doesn't help when you retread so much.

And while the movies have been popular among non-fans, I don't really see that as a long lasting thing. Most of it is just blockbuster chasing, not bringing new people into the fold.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Into Darkness was the highest-grossing Star Trek movie yet. It was only a failure in the critical sense.

Oh, it was? I thought I heard that it under-performed. Guess I was wrong.

Cojawfee posted:

Star wars came out. A sci-fi movie can make lots of money so they brought back star trek. They continued with TNG because they still had sets and costumes and people still went to star trek movies.

Yeah, if anything brings back Star Trek, it will be Star Wars. I mean, Star Wars is literally why the TOS movies and TNG were even made.

And a lot of Trekkies still hate Star Wars. If anything, they should be thankful.

bull3964 posted:

I think that's the biggest thing. The two recent haven't really brought anything new to the table. Certain things about Star Trek are imbedded in culture. Kirk is a womanizer, you can take out a 7 foot tall lizard with a homemade cannon, there's only one good piece of fighting music, Picard makes it so and does the perfect embodiment of a face palm, resistance is futile... the list goes on.

Granted, that all takes time and two movies isn't all that much screentime to make that mark, but it doesn't help when you retread so much.

And while the movies have been popular among non-fans, I don't really see that as a long lasting thing. Most of it is just blockbuster chasing, not bringing new people into the fold.

Yeah. I just feel like they haven't really made much of a lasting impression, you know? For one, they probably waited too long between movies and waiting too long for a TV show that will be airing on a subscription service no one will buy to really leave a mark. The amount of actual Star Trek content we've gotten over the past decade has been super, super sparse. All we've really gotten is 2 movies and a mediocre MMO no one plays.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 11, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Worldwide.

That's an important distinction to make. It was the highest grossing worldwide at a time when Asian markets are on the rise.

It earned less than 2009 domestically.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

loving this. If you launch a show nowadays on a paid streaming service that is not Netflix or Hulu, it is doomed to die. Hardcore fans will seek it out, though many will probably :filez: it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Dark One posted:

I think Marina Sirtis forgot how to do it in the break between movies somewhere around First contact or Insurrection.

Well, that and she did the accent in the beginning, then Majel just ignored it and talked in her normal voice... so I think Piller said "Oh, it was your dad's accent and you picked it up as you grew up" and then they cast Troi's dad for flashbacks and that actor talked in a Mid-West accent, so Marina kinda went 'gently caress it' and talked like the London girl she actually is because if no-one else is going to try, why should she?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Paramount had been discussing a Trek movie as early as 1974, and might well have gotten one out prior to Star Wars if Roddenberry hadn't dug his heels in over minor money issues. (Not as in "oh, money is so minor, this is art we're talking about", but as in "nickles and dimes")

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Paramount had been discussing a Trek movie as early as 1974, and might well have gotten one out prior to Star Wars if Roddenberry hadn't dug his heels in over minor money issues. (Not as in "oh, money is so minor, this is art we're talking about", but as in "nickles and dimes")

I would have liked to have seen the Spock kills Kennedy movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

DS9 was hardly "successful." It's the best Trek television show, by far, but no one watched it.

Platonicsolid posted:

Also, Paramount wanted to move the cast over to movies, because everyone's contracts were up after Season 7, and Stewart and Spiner especially would have been grossly expensive to book for filming ten months out of the year again. And really, at that point, Trek movies were a cheap way to pick up $40 million or so in profit.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Timby posted:

DS9 was hardly "successful." It's the best Trek television show, by far, but no one watched it.

It was a little ahead of its time in that it was a serialized TV show in the age before Netflix. In fact, I'm pretty sure that nobody realized DS9 was good until Netflix became a thing.

That said, I'm pretty sure I've read that it has better ratings than Voyager, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gammatron 64 posted:

It was a little ahead of its time in that it was a serialized TV show in the age before Netflix. In fact, I'm pretty sure that nobody realized DS9 was good until Netflix became a thing.

That said, I'm pretty sure I've read that it has better ratings than Voyager, though.

People have been raving about DS9 for a bit longer than Netflix dude. Part of what brought me to SA was the strong Trek fandom in the GBS thread.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

In fact, I'm pretty sure that nobody realized DS9 was good until Netflix became a thing.

The only people who could legitimately think this must have been born in, like, 1997.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Timby posted:

The only people who could legitimately think this must have been born in, like, 1997.

I was born in '87 but didn't really see DS9 a lot when it aired. Instead I mostly saw the TOS movies, reruns of TNG and a friend of mine really liked Voyager.

In my defense, I was like 10 years old when DS9 ended so you can't blame me for being a stupid kid with bad taste.

It was only after the show went off the air that I watched it and went "yeah, this is really good!" after being told it was actually very good. I watched it when Netflix had just become a thing and they literally mailed you DVDs instead of having a streaming service, so it was probably around 2007 or so. In fact, it might have been SA that made me watch DS9 because I got an account around then.

Edit: also Jesus gently caress, I've been on this dang forum for almost 10 years

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 11, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

remusclaw posted:

I think she lost the accent somewhere during the show's run.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Voyager briefly had higher ratings than DS9 when it launched, but after that start, which wasn't as highly rated as DS9's had been, they fell off a cliff, much like DS9 (and Enterprise for that matter) did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was born in '87 but didn't really see DS9 a lot when it aired.

That's what I meant by "no one watched it." The viewership was so low in the early goings that the syndicates just bounced it around its timeslots. I remember one of the season premieres aired in Chicago at midnight on WGN.

Edit: I remember, it was The Way of the Warrior. The premiere of a season that was literally make-or-break for the show and it aired on loving midnight, on a Saturday, in one of the country's biggest markets.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 11, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

skasion posted:

Voyager briefly had higher ratings than DS9 when it launched, but after that start, which wasn't as highly rated as DS9's had been, they fell off a cliff, much like DS9 (and Enterprise for that matter) did.

Well, that's kind of apples and oranges. Voyager was a network show in primetime (flagship launch show no less), DS9 was syndicated.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Timby posted:

Kent on Veep seems to have liked it--it got a great shoutout at the end of season 5.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Timby posted:

That's what I meant by "no one watched it." The viewership was so low in the early goings that the syndicates just bounced it around its timeslots. I remember one of the season premieres aired in Chicago at midnight on WGN.

I didn't even really know when it was on or what channel. I would tune in to random episodes of TNG, VOY and TOS but almost never saw DS9 aired. I didn't really schedule times like "oh, there's a new Star Trek episode at 7pm on X day!" moreso that I would just channel surf and watch random Trek episodes sometimes. I'm pretty sure I mostly used to watch Star Trek on UPN and Sci-Fi when those channels were actually things. I guess SyFy still technically exists.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gammatron 64 posted:

And a lot of Trekkies still hate Star Wars. If anything, they should be thankful.

My favorite subspecies of that type are the ones who think for some reason that Star Trek is hard science fiction, and look down on all that space fantasy stuff in Star Wars.

"The Force? That's just goofy. Ghosts and telekinesis and seeing the future have no place in science fiction. Now let's all watch Wolf in the Fold, Plato's Stepchildren, and Cause and Effect to get the taste of it out of our mouths."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Timby posted:

Also, the explosion of serialized TV predates Netflix anyway. It really started taking off in the late 90s and early 00s. DS9 was a little ahead of its time, but only a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paradoxish posted:

Also, the explosion of serialized TV predates Netflix anyway. It really started taking off in the late 90s and early 00s. DS9 was a little ahead of its time, but only a little bit.
The X-Files exploded in 92. DS9 and B5 were a year after.

Serialized shows before that were like Dallas and poo poo. X-Files proved that a cinematic style, serialized show could be popular and profitable. The Sopranos afterwards was the gold standard.

Then Lost came around later and everyone thought "I need to write something with a Mystery angle and also it needs to be serialized with dangling plot threads I pull out of my rear end."