Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

and yet it takes 20gb to change a few xml values in each patch of star citizen. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

yeah that is a flat texture of what is outside the room they are in, it's the same on the stations, you get a flat image overlaid onto the helmet to look like a reflection.
It doesn't bother me at all, but standing under the rings of a station while they jitter / rotate while looking at a commando with a flat jpeg of the rings on his hat that aren't moving at all is funny to me. It wouldn't be funny but you can tell CIG are shooting for something and failing again, even though it is a tiny detail it sums up the whole game to me I guess.

It's pretty common in most games to have a baked reflection map, since true reflection is only really used for detailed shots or used with only static objects being reflected or some other caveat. The problem is that usually in other games, it's a blurred map so you can't tell that it's just a static image.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Please - don't even call this bullshit because you can't understand how consolidated financials work.

…says the man who can't even explain what others have supposedly done wrong in making their arguments and who has failed repeatedly to actually address the points they've made.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Iglocska posted:

I knew you were full of poo poo, that image is obviously doctored to show SC in a bad light. I tried it too and the results are much more flattering:

Edit: I stand corrected, I cannot read and wrote "is a".

Results vary with the third term typed, conclusion is the same.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

SC died on the vine a long time ago. We're just watching it wither, rot, and remain transfixed waiting for the exact moment it plummets to the ground and splatters in a cloud of maggots and putrescent innards.

It's fine.....it's fine! The skin hasn't started to discolor yet.

Even if it had it wouldn't still be attached to the vine if it was dead. I don't think you understand plant development.

Chris said he was making Wine, so if you think about it, it's just fermenting early meaning we get the wine faster.

The extra weight isn't maggots, it may be black and discolored now but It's growing again!

The farm went bankrupt and the farmer is in jail for fraud, that just means that one of us can now take care of this precious precious fruit!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Please - don't even call this bullshit because you can't understand how consolidated financials work. BTW - these accounts are abbreviated. Your accountant "friend" should have informed you that you can't make any reasonable or educated guess as to the financial integrity of this one subsidiary based on the audited filing.

Uncle Derek owns his own game studio. What do you own?

Oh, right. 4K worth of jpegs.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

MedicineHut posted:

Yeh, anyways, not sure why the conversation is touching upon PPE when one of the most interesting bits of news in that report (imho) is:

Weather there is financial engineering and what not in the descriptiove of revenues is, I think, quite irrelevant. The local costs, operational and administrative, are what really stands out. That is around 22 million USD.

Well, yeah. The operational expense for 180 people is not cheap. But, they were still net positive cash flows at the end of the year. That's a huge positive for an entity with 22 mil operational expense. Even then, it gets consolidated to the parent, who's obviously using this entity to offset their tax burden.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

no_recall posted:

Uncle Derek owns his own game studio. What do you own?

Oh, right. 4K worth of jpegs.

1 Study does not require consolidated financials.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm the community manager who chooses to argue the merits of faith and belief in his lovely project and its founder when facing criticism

It's kinda ironic that he's an evangelical Atheist too. Actually buddies with wulfknight (accelerwraith) and was (still is?) in his atheist org.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did I doubt a little? Sure - It's a crowd-funded game from a new company helmed by a mix of individuals from different walks of life. There's always a tinge of doubt. But, through the course of the last couple of years my observations, information I received from individuals and the interactions from CIG, I do believe the project will eventually succeed. I think anyone spending money on crowdfunding ought to realize that it's a gamble. If Chris pulls a similar stunt as Keiji (I don't think he will), I can't be mad at myself for willingly and knowingly spending my money on something that wasn't a sure thing.

One thing bro before you go off on an all day delusional rant.

"CrowdFunding" is funding a project to get it made, with protections that platforms like indiegogo, kickstarter and gofundme offer. Some are limited, some aren't.

Turning into an infinite store on your own website where you never stop selling items despite receiving anywhere from 600%-6000% your budget?

The only reason to do that is because people will still buy them for whatever reason

You aren't crowdfunding anything. You aren't an entrepreneur that is valiantly striking out against publishers. You are putting more and more money in a project that they have already said is completely funded for literally no reason.

Let's just ignore that you said CIG is reinforcing your faith with the information they put out (hint: the reason you keep buying in is you are stupid. Others are desperate, others are sad, others want to be happy, others just want a game, you are like chronically loving stupid)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Oh, right. 4K worth of dreams.

ftfy

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did I doubt a little? Sure - It's a crowd-funded game from a new company helmed by a mix of individuals from different walks of life. There's always a tinge of doubt. But, through the course of the last couple of years my observations, information I received from individuals and the interactions from CIG, I do believe the project will eventually succeed. I think anyone spending money on crowdfunding ought to realize that it's a gamble. If Chris pulls a similar stunt as Keiji (I don't think he will), I can't be mad at myself for willingly and knowingly spending my money on something that wasn't a sure thing.

There it is again (bolded points are what I'm emphasizing). This has nothing to do with crowdfunding - it has everything to do with Chris Roberts being an untrustworthy steward of your donation.

quote:

If Chris pulls a similar stunt as Keiji (I don't think he will), I can't be mad at myself for willingly and knowingly spending my money on something that wasn't a sure thing.

Yes you can, because "crowdfunding" isn't what made this a gamble. Chris Roberts made it a gamble, and he's why it's in trouble. It's 100% on Chris Roberts - not "crowdfunding", not "a mix of individuals", but pure, distilled Chris Roberts failure. So if this fails, it's not the random whims of crowdfunding fate that had it in for you.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

One thing bro before you go off on an all day delusional rant.

"CrowdFunding" is funding a project to get it made, with protections that platforms like indiegogo, kickstarter and gofundme offer. Some are limited, some aren't.

Turning into an infinite store on your own website where you never stop selling items despite receiving anywhere from 600%-6000% your budget?

The only reason to do that is because people will still buy them for whatever reason

You aren't crowdfunding anything. You aren't an entrepreneur that is valiantly striking out against publishers. You are putting more and more money in a project that they have already said is completely funded for literally no reason.

Let's just ignore that you said CIG is reinforcing your faith with the information they put out (hint: the reason you keep buying in is you are stupid. Others are desperate, others are sad, others want to be happy, others just want a game, you are like chronically loving stupid)

The only person that can fix your broken attitude is you.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Anyway I'd love to stay and chat but I'm very busy with some important business I must attend to

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rubberduke posted:

What I'm actually hoping for is that people admit they were wrong to trust fancy lovely concept art.

Well that will never happen. We get the occasional convert here every few CIG fuckups, but the vast majority of the Citizen faithful will probably die still believing in Chris's vision

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well, yeah. The operational expense for 180 people is not cheap. But, they were still net positive cash flows at the end of the year. That's a huge positive for an entity with 22 mil operational expense. Even then, it gets consolidated to the parent, who's obviously using this entity to offset their tax burden.

Well you're either very unfunny or a literal moron, my bet is both

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Scruffpuff posted:

There it is again (bolded points are what I'm emphasizing). This has nothing to do with crowdfunding - it has everything to do with Chris Roberts being an untrustworthy steward of your donation.

Yes you can, because "crowdfunding" isn't what made this a gamble. Chris Roberts made it a gamble, and he's why it's in trouble. It's 100% on Chris Roberts - not "crowdfunding", not "a mix of individuals", but pure, distilled Chris Roberts failure. So if this fails, it's not the random whims of crowdfunding fate that had it in for you.

And 4 years in - no investigation of any kind. This has something to do with crowdfunding. You'd think someone who raised over 100 mil via crowdfunding and was suspected of operating a scam would at least have an inquiry opened against him and his company . . . Oh, but there aren't any?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Hope you all have a great day everybody, I have a brunch meeting which means I can't answer all your questions although I do my best!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well you're either very unfunny or a literal moron, my bet is both

Why would that be? Sorry some here don't understand accrual-based accounting.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

The only person that can fix your broken attitude is you.

Luckily one of us has $4000 for therapy if the situation arises

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Luckily one of us has $4000 for therapy if the situation arises

Stop worrying about my monetary situation. I'm fine. I must have missed the part that said this was a concern thread.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

yes but did you send a request to the UK authorities to find out if CiG or F42 was under investigation? Because I did :getin:

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

ManofManyAliases posted:

Just so we are clear here: The biggest risk for the SC/SQ42 project has always been that Chris Roberts pulls a "Chris Roberts". And wouldn't you know it - that is exactly what has happened, to the surprise of no one with half a brain or more.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Stop worrying about my monetary situation. I'm fine.

I, too, run to the internet to desperately shout how fine I am in various aspects of my life on a daily basis

You know because I'm fine

I'm fine guys

:qq:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

It's kinda ironic that he's an evangelical Atheist too. Actually buddies with wulfknight (accelerwraith) and was (still is?) in his atheist org.

Well you see Atheism protects against every mental fallacy, which means every one of his articles of faith are by definition justified by evidence.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Barn Folk posted:

and yet it takes 20gb to change a few xml values in each patch of star citizen. Nice.

Code optimization is a stretch goal.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Scruffpuff posted:

This is still what gets me about the whole thing. Idiots have trusted a man with a long track record of failure with a ton of money.

I'm going to put this into a cold, hard reality mode for a moment... PGI have a better track record than Chris Roberts on delivering.

loving PGI.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

poo poo I was honestly hoping that MoMA had run away for good this time.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

yeah that is a flat texture of what is outside the room they are in, it's the same on the stations, you get a flat image overlaid onto the helmet to look like a reflection.
It doesn't bother me at all, but standing under the rings of a station while they jitter / rotate while looking at a commando with a flat jpeg of the rings on his hat that aren't moving at all is funny to me. It wouldn't be funny but you can tell CIG are shooting for something and failing again, even though it is a tiny detail it sums up the whole game to me I guess.

The problem with trying to make everything to the highest levels of fidelity is: Everything janky or unfidelitious will stand out like a sore thumb.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Azram Legion posted:

Just so we are clear here: The biggest risk for the SC/SQ42 project has always been that Chris Roberts pulls a "Chris Roberts". And wouldn't you know it - that is exactly what has happened, to the surprise of no one with half a brain or more.

That's a funny ending you've adopted for this fiction you created. Except, the story hasn't come to an end yet. I must have missed the part where development ended and the game was complete.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Stop worrying about my monetary situation. I'm fine. I must have missed the part that said this was a concern thread.

yeah people are worried.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ManofManyAliases posted:

Rational people do not spend four thousand dollars on a video game

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

trucutru posted:

yes but did you send a request to the UK authorities to find out if CiG or F42 was under investigation? Because I did :getin:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I think early on people were worried about people who sunk monies into this abortion. But at this point they will get everything they deserve.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Someone needs to set up a clean and simple website cataloging all the claims about "Major Tom" so the world knows the truth behind his videos

* Altering his game's files in order to break it

* Using old builds that "aren't representative of Star Citizen as it is now"

* Being Derek Smart

* Being paid by Derek Smart

* Using paid services to boost his YT views

* Being illiterate

* Playing for hours and hours and hours to find bugs just to make one video

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaerael posted:

This is still what gets me about the whole thing. Idiots have trusted a man with a long track record of failure with a ton of money.

I'm going to put this into a cold, hard reality mode for a moment... PGI have a better track record than Chris Roberts on delivering.

loving PGI.

Who hires someone back as a consultant if they're considered a failure? If Microsoft fired him and wanted him away from the product, they wouldn't hire him back.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

It's pretty common in most games to have a baked reflection map, since true reflection is only really used for detailed shots or used with only static objects being reflected or some other caveat. The problem is that usually in other games, it's a blurred map so you can't tell that it's just a static image.

And the really stupid part is they could do away with reflections altogether by just saying "It's 900 years in the future, they've got anti-reflective glass-like materials so you don't give away your position by light bouncing off your helmet."

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's a funny ending you've adopted for this fiction you created. Except, the story hasn't come to an end yet. I must have missed the part where development ended and the game was complete.

Development ended when Chris Roberts became involved.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Who hires someone back as a consultant if they're considered a failure? If Microsoft fired him and wanted him away from the product, they wouldn't hire him back.

lol. That was probably part of the purchase deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaerael posted:

Development ended when Chris Roberts became involved.

Let me go ask the 180 people sitting in the UK with their thumbs in their asses if development ended.

• Locked thread