Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

yeah that is a flat texture of what is outside the room they are in, it's the same on the stations, you get a flat image overlaid onto the helmet to look like a reflection.
It doesn't bother me at all, but standing under the rings of a station while they jitter / rotate while looking at a commando with a flat jpeg of the rings on his hat that aren't moving at all is funny to me. It wouldn't be funny but you can tell CIG are shooting for something and failing again, even though it is a tiny detail it sums up the whole game to me I guess.

While I believe you. I have not seen that scene in anything in SC videos, official or user game play.

And if you look at the head in butte pic, it is definitely reflecting the interior of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's a funny ending you've adopted for this fiction you created. Except, the story hasn't come to an end yet. I must have missed the part where development ended and the game was complete.

Well, unlike you I actually DO understand game development, and for anyone who does, the critical and project-killing mistakes were made about 3 years or more ago. Maybe learn a thing or two about game development, kid.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I, too, run to the internet to desperately shout how fine I am in various aspects of my life on a daily basis

You know because I'm fine

I'm fine guys

:qq:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sunswipe posted:

And the really stupid part is they could do away with reflections altogether by just saying "It's 900 years in the future, they've got anti-reflective glass-like materials so you don't give away your position by light bouncing off your helmet."

You mean like the anti reflective tech we have right now, available to regular consumers? That's been available to the public for the past few decades?

Yeah. It's pretty dumb. Like people giving money to Chris Roberts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did I doubt a little? Sure - It's a crowd-funded game from a new company helmed by a mix of individuals from different walks of life. There's always a tinge of doubt. But, through the course of the last couple of years my observations, information I received from individuals and the interactions from CIG, I do believe the project will eventually succeed. I think anyone spending money on crowdfunding ought to realize that it's a gamble. If Chris pulls a similar stunt as Keiji (I don't think he will), I can't be mad at myself for willingly and knowingly spending my money on something that wasn't a sure thing.

This mindset that backing a game is somehow a 'gamble' and that should be expected needs to stop, now.
When did this happen?
I remember the earlier times of early backing we paid money for a game we knew would be delivered, there was no bullshit OH THE STAKES ARE HIGH about it. We were simply paying for development of what was promised.
I backed Assetto Corsa and never, not once did I think it was a gamble, or risky. I pre paid for a game to get some cool extras, a game that WOULD be made.
The fact that people like you have woven the 'gamble' into early access is bad enough, but you people also have slowly drip fed the notion that not only is it a gamble to back projects, it is also entirely our own fault if the project fails and we are left with nothing.

It's wrong, you are wrong and the wishy washy bullshit way you look at the 'gamble' and 'lol welp, we knew going in it may fail!' is disgusting. It is not normal to have 1% doubt a project will be completed and it certainly is not acceptable or somehow a BUYER BEWARE situation if a project does fail.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MoMA I was trying to hawk your sweet future belt on reddit, but they didn't seem to like it and called me names instead

Are you concerned about the marketplace viability of these belts?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ManofManyAliases posted:

The only person that can fix your broken attitude is you.

Hate to break this to you, but most of the world knows better than to fix things that are clearly not broken to the point that they become such. I remember playing Star Citizen 2-3 years back, when it came out first and it was just the hangar + basic arena commander. And it was a better game back then than it is now lol. Still somewhat glitchy, but in no way the complete clusterfuck I see coming out recently in the videos (not just :pgabz: ones either).

So good job for funding the game to become worse, I guess, by Crobbers' own crippling infantile dreams.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lladre posted:

While I believe you. I have not seen that scene in anything in SC videos, official or user game play.

And if you look at the head in butte pic, it is definitely reflecting the interior of the room.

I have it on a vid somewhere, I stop the vid to point it out, but :lol: at me finding it

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Let me go ask the 180 people sitting in the UK with their thumbs in their asses if development ended.

Just LOL if you think 160 employees would work on vaporware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0RHRxQhPo

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Catte tax.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

Stop worrying about my monetary situation. I'm fine. I must have missed the part that said this was a concern thread.

We do not worry about your monetary situation. We worry about your mental situation (at least those living close to you).
We do make fun of your monetary decisions.

I bolded some parts. Should make it easer for you do understand. Not that I have a lot of hope.

Xaerael posted:

This is still what gets me about the whole thing. Idiots have trusted a man with a long track record of failure with a ton of money.

I'm going to put this into a cold, hard reality mode for a moment... PGI have a better track record than Chris Roberts on delivering.

loving PGI.

:cig: makes :pgi: look like a well run business. And had :pgi: openly stated that they'd just been handed the finished (beta) MW:O game to take care of it. They might have received a different reception (and less money).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's a funny ending you've adopted for this fiction you created. Except, the story hasn't come to an end yet. I must have missed the part where development ended and the game was complete.

So, how do you measure risk then?

What has a bigger risk of not being finished on time or being completely half assed:

a) A game in development by Peter Molyneux or
b) The same game in development by Shigeru Miyamoto

ManofManyAliases posted:

And 4 years in - no investigation of any kind. This has something to do with crowdfunding. You'd think someone who raised over 100 mil via crowdfunding and was suspected of operating a scam would at least have an inquiry opened against him and his company . . . Oh, but there aren't any?

Have you actually made the effort to contact the UK authorities? Because I cannot see how can you keep saying this after contacting them, Trevor replies really quickly.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Azram Legion posted:

Well, unlike you I actually DO understand game development, and for anyone who does, the critical and project-killing mistakes were made about 3 years or more ago. Maybe learn a thing or two about game development, kid.

I'm no "kid," Jr. And, I don't need to know a thing about game development to understand business.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Let me go ask the 180 people sitting in the UK with their thumbs in their asses if development ended.

You keep bringing this up like it matters. We've told you before, it doesn't matter how many people you have "working on it". If the people in charge are loving up and have no clear plan, then it doesn't matter how many monkey's you have at typewriters.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
too bad transverse died. It would of been funny as hell to have this cheap rear end version of star citizen already playable right now.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You keep bringing this up like it matters. We've told you before, it doesn't matter how many people you have "working on it", if the people in charge are loving up and have no clear plan, then it doesn't matter how many monkey's you have at typewriters.

And I keep asking where you guys get this assumption that there is no plan? Literally no one here has any insight as to the actual project management behind CIG's doors. So your speculations and assumptions are as asinine as mine in that regard.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

Hate to break this to you, but most of the world knows better than to fix things that are clearly not broken to the point that they become such. I remember playing Star Citizen 2-3 years back, when it came out first and it was just the hangar + basic arena commander. And it was a better game back then than it is now lol. Still somewhat glitchy, but in no way the complete clusterfuck I see coming out recently in the videos (not just :pgabz: ones either).

So good job for funding the game to become worse, I guess, by Crobbers' own crippling infantile dreams.

This is what happens when all the guys who have shipped games leave the company.

It's fine.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Jst0rm posted:

too bad transverse died. It would of been funny as hell to have this cheap rear end version of star citizen already playable right now.

I think :pgi: could have a game in which you could fly around in for 500k $, and for another 500k $ one would have been able to shoot at each other.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

If 180 people sat around trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole qualifies as "development" in your book, that explains pretty much everything.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

And 4 years in - no investigation of any kind. This has something to do with crowdfunding. You'd think someone who raised over 100 mil via crowdfunding and was suspected of operating a scam would at least have an inquiry opened against him and his company . . . Oh, but there aren't any?

Stop being a dope.
They wouldn't start investigating till people started saying hey this is hosed up and bullshit.

You are trying to reverse narrative the start time. Like SC only started development last year. Investigations would have started when they had eight people and a dream.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
You know fellow commandos, I'm starting to think that some people in this thread are arguing in bad faith. And that Star citizen may not come out with all advertised features intact.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

And I keep asking where you guys get this assumption that there is no plan? Literally no one here has any insight as to the actual project management behind CIG's doors. So your speculations and assumptions are as asinine as mine in that regard.

:cig: themselfs have admitted multiple times that it's still early days and they still do not have their design documents finished for major systems.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm no "kid," Jr. And, I don't need to know a thing about game development to understand business.

You are obviously a kid pretending to be a big, experienced grown-up. I think that is clear to anyone that understands personal development. Maybe grow up a few years before you spend your parents' money on vaporware the next time, my little child. Also lol at pretending that running a lemonade stand is understanding business. You are gonna do great in college with your attitude - just two more years of high school to go!

Edit: Sorry for the doxxing!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, MOMA keeps ignoring my question about contacting the UK authorities. I wonder why?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Breetai posted:

You know fellow commandos, I'm starting to think that some people in this thread are arguing in bad faith. And that Star citizen may not come out.

FTFY

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Are you - and I'm being serious - completely insane?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

The only person that can fix your broken attitude is you.

What's broken about his attitude?

ManofManyAliases posted:

And 4 years in - no investigation of any kind. This has something to do with crowdfunding. You'd think someone who raised over 100 mil via crowdfunding and was suspected of operating a scam would at least have an inquiry opened against him and his company . . .

No, you really wouldn't, because that's not how inquiries work.

quote:

Oh, but there aren't any?

How do you know this?

ManofManyAliases posted:

And I keep asking where you guys get this assumption that there is no plan?

From CIG. They said so. So we laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed.

By the way, I notice you keep mentioning the number 180 in regards to the UK offices… and then you keep saying that others haven't read the financial filings? How do you justify that bit of hypocrisy on your part?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well, they haven't shown the backers their roadmap, so yes, I assume they have no plan. Normally, I'd know that would be pretty dumb after all "they must have a plan", but that can only happen if you trust the people in charge. Obviously you do, so you assume "they must have a plan".

I on the other hand do not trust or like the people in charge of CIG, so I choose to believe they have no longterm plan, because I trust them about as much as I can throw Ben Lesnik, Developer/Producer/Master of Ships.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

Are you - and I'm being serious - completely insane?

Nah, he's just in his early teens*. He'll probably grow up and become a bit wiser down the road.

*educated guess

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lladre posted:

Stop being a dope.
They wouldn't start investigating till people started saying hey this is hosed up and bullshit.

You are trying to reverse narrative the start time. Like SC only started development last year. Investigations would have started when they had eight people and a dream.

Really? Then why do you guys, a handful on reddit, MMORPG, etc. keep pointing to the Escapist and other sources as evidence that he hosed up and the public caught wind of it? So which is it? Did he gently caress up? Is he in the process of loving up? Or, is he about to gently caress up? At which stage of "fuckedupedness" is he currently?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

Really? Then why do you guys, a handful on reddit, MMORPG, etc. keep pointing to the Escapist and other sources as evidence that he hosed up and the public caught wind of it? So which is it? Did he gently caress up? Is he in the process of loving up? Or, is he about to gently caress up? At which stage of "fuckedupedness" is he currently?

At stage42.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tippis posted:

What's broken about his attitude?

No, you really wouldn't, because that's not how inquiries work.

How do you know this?

From CIG. They said so. So we laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed.

By the way, I notice you keep mentioning the number 180 in regards to the UK offices… and then you keep saying that others haven't read the financial filings? How do you justify that bit of hypocrisy on your part?

gently caress me for rounding right? Erin wants 184 in about 3 weeks. Plus, 180 is nice and round.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, they haven't shown the backers their roadmap, so yes, I assume they have no plan. Normally, I'd know that would be pretty dumb after all "they must have a plan", but that can only happen if you trust the people in charge. Obviously you do, so you assume "they must have a plan".

I on the other hand do not trust or like the people in charge of CIG, so I choose to believe they have no longterm plan, because I trust them about as much as I can throw Ben Lesnik, Developer/Producer/Master of Ships.

Even though there is "open development," I never once expected to see their roadmap. They're a private company with competitors in the field. A company like Elite's can choose to show whatever the gently caress they want. That doesn't mean it's precedent to do so.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

I never read the Escapist thing, in accordance to me never reading anything longer than a small paragraph

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

trucutru posted:

Haha, MOMA keeps ignoring my question about contacting the UK authorities. I wonder why?

he's a pussy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Even though there is "open development," I never once expected to see their roadmap. They're a private company with competitors in the field. A company like Elite's can choose to show whatever the gently caress they want. That doesn't mean it's precedent to do so.

:lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Development is so open we cannot show you even a vague roadmap of where we think we are heading, Elite can because it is a private company you see

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Moma has convinced me to spend 15k on a video game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Really? Then why do you guys, a handful on reddit, MMORPG, etc. keep pointing to the Escapist and other sources as evidence that he hosed up and the public caught wind of it?

Because that's what happened.

quote:

So which is it? Did he gently caress up? Is he in the process of loving up? Or, is he about to gently caress up? At which stage of "fuckedupedness" is he currently?

All of them, since they're not mutually exclusive.

ManofManyAliases posted:

gently caress me for rounding right? Erin wants 184 in about 3 weeks. Plus, 180 is nice and round.

No. gently caress you for being illiterate and in the same breath complaining about how others supposedly hasn't read a source document correctly.

Oh, and you didn't answer the question about the inquiry: how do you know this?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Seeing as how tons of closed development projects give out fairly detailed roadmaps, exactly because they have competitors, you really should expect a company that tries to pretend it's doing some kind of open development to produce them in abundance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think anyone spending money on crowdfunding ought to realize that it's a gamble.

This is pure bollocks and spin and sounds really like a company line that's going to be constantly thrown out as the lights go off.

The crowdfunding stopped in 2012 after the kickstarter ended. CIG hasn't even spoken to the kickstarter backers in the comment section for years, that's how much they care about them. Since then they've been selling spaceships via their own online store and failing to deliver anything like a game promised.

• Locked thread