Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I tried it, and noticed a difference, it seemed to use a bit less juice and the app itself seemed to run smoother. It's totally anecdotal and might just be confirmation bias, but I haven't deleted my offline map. I wouldn't call it a huge increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hey dude, you probably don't realize this but you save a bunch of low level pokemons for your eggs to do a pop-whiz-bam to level it up!

Do we know what the level cap is?

Also as I level up does the CP cap of my pokemon go up too?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

CainFortea posted:

I think (I haven't been able to really test it) that the nearby tab pulses a green pulse when you are heading towards it. It's kinda hard to tell, since the line is so narrow.

I would spend more time testing it, but I frequently have server issues with the nearby tab. It just won't update a lot of the times.

The tab pulses when it updates, whether moving closer or farther. Something I read said that you can keep the Nearby tab open and the pokes will reorganize in relation to each other (top left being closer, bottom right being farther until they fall off). They'll do this even before reducing the number of paw prints, so if you're tracking something, watch where it moves in the nearby tab.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Knifegrab posted:

Hey dude, you probably don't realize this but you save a bunch of low level pokemons for your eggs to do a pop-whiz-bam to level it up!

Do we know what the level cap is?

Also as I level up does the CP cap of my pokemon go up too?

It's probably a soft cap- I'm hearing it takes 100k xp to get from 22 to 23 or something like that, and it roughly doubles from there.

Yes, the CP cap goes up as you level.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Where do you get lucky eggs from? I'm just finding regular white eggs with green dots. Or is every egg a lucky egg?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Sitting here at work I wonder if my GPS is a tad over or under sensitive. My guy appears to be walking around the building as the GPS attempts to narrow down my precise location to a factor of feet.

Which means I leave the app on and am getting free egg credits for sitting at my desk :hellyeah:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Wylie posted:

It's probably a soft cap- I'm hearing it takes 100k xp to get from 22 to 23 or something like that, and it roughly doubles from there.

Yes, the CP cap goes up as you level.

So then is pokemon CP a soft cap too?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

These eggs are going to hatch while I work just because my GPS keeps glitching my dude out into traffic and back again.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
God drat this game is buggy as poo poo. Today's new bug is the game freezing everytime I catch an anime monster. Doesn't give me the critter and still burns a ball. :/

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Lblitzer posted:

Where do you get lucky eggs from? I'm just finding regular white eggs with green dots. Or is every egg a lucky egg?

Lucky eggs are purchased from the cash shop and you also get a free one at level 9

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lblitzer posted:

Blitzer (I love you) but lucky eggs are either bought from the store or obtained on leveling up (first one at level 8). I do not believe they drop from pokestops or are attained any other way.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lblitzer posted:

They're items, not like the regular eggs. You get one when you're leveling up (maybe around level 9?) and you can buy them. Not sure if Pokestops can drop them, I've only hit them a few times and haven't seen any.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm scared.

I downloaded the apk so I can play it in Canada. I've found groups of people at Pokestops dropping lures and so far all the gyms I've seen are blue, so lots of people have also been up to shenanigans. I hope I don't get banned when the devs release it in Maple Syrup land, but I just couldn't wait!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fix posted:

The tab pulses when it updates, whether moving closer or farther. Something I read said that you can keep the Nearby tab open and the pokes will reorganize in relation to each other (top left being closer, bottom right being farther until they fall off). They'll do this even before reducing the number of paw prints, so if you're tracking something, watch where it moves in the nearby tab.

It pulses all the time. But it pulses GREEN when moving towards the pokemon you have focused on from the tab.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

BrianBoitano posted:

Also for eggs:

(according to Reddit)

So do Dittos just not exist in this game?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I was about to capture a Jynx, the ball was literally just about to click shut, and my battery died.

It didn't register, and now my pokedex shows caught 24 seen 25. :negative:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lblitzer posted:

As others have said, free lucky egg at 9. I got a second free lucky egg, not sure if I got it from a pokestop or at level 12 or 13.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Is it better to use incense when you are going to be moving around or when you are sitting still?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

NuckmasterJ posted:

I'm scared.

I downloaded the apk so I can play it in Canada. I've found groups of people at Pokestops dropping lures and so far all the gyms I've seen are blue, so lots of people have also been up to shenanigans. I hope I don't get banned when the devs release it in Maple Syrup land, but I just couldn't wait!

ive had the apk running since it was released in AUS/NZ, and never got banned, so i'm almost positive that it was a lovely false rumor

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Blitzer (I love you) but lucky eggs are either bought from the store or obtained on leveling up (first one at level 8). I do not believe they drop from pokestops or are attained any other way.

<3 Oh haha doh. I totally checked out the shop on the first day but completely forgot they're an item in there. And I'm still only level 7 :(

Thanks guys!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

CRAYON posted:

Is it better to use incense when you are going to be moving around or when you are sitting still?

Moving around, but the most important factor is what part of town you're in. It's best when you're in an area dense with people. Try a popular park, office block, apartment building, etc.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

GoodBee posted:

These eggs are going to hatch while I work just because my GPS keeps glitching my dude out into traffic and back again.

I've hatched two pokemon this way. I ain't even mad.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

CainFortea posted:

It pulses all the time. But it pulses GREEN when moving towards the pokemon you have focused on from the tab.

I call bullshit.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

You get a second lucky egg at level 11 or so. Just hoard every pidgey, weedle, and caterpie you can because they only cost 12 candy to evolve. You can cruise straight from level 9 to 12 fairly easily.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is it better for Pokemon to have a variety of attack types, or to match their own type?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Knifegrab posted:

I call bullshit.

That is how it *should* work, but the game can't even figure out where you are when you are sitting still. Design != implementation unfortunately

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is it better for Pokemon to have a variety of attack types, or to match their own type?

i dont know if anyone has tested for STAB (same type attack bonus, a 1.5x multiplier for moves sharing your typing) but i've been having pretty solid success with type coverage

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The arbok/arcanine/pidgeot gym I was going to stomp today changed from red to blue overnight and the blue guys are much stronger. :negative:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

PerniciousKnid posted:

I try to match types. I don't know if STAB is in effect but I do know that combat is pretty simple so attack types are one of the few ways to gain a big advantage outside of brute forcing CP.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

"How accurately does the GPS track in Pokemon GO" is going to be a major bullet point in future android phone reviews.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Do teams do anything? I joined blue and my friend joined red :(

Also how do i level pokemans up?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Accidentally logged in with my gmail account instead of my pokemon account and now everything is blank. Can I log out to use my real account?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

So, are there regional "pest" pokemon in addition to the usual suspects(Rattata, Pidgey, Zubat etc..)?
I see some people complaining about getting way too many Doduos, Ekans' or Mankeys, but I haven't seen a single one of those. On the other hand, my city is absolutely swarming with Drowzees, there is at least one high level Hypno in almost every gym.

You can easily jump 2-3 levels on each Lucky Egg you get from leveling if you save a bunch of low level evolutions.

There are poo poo tons of Ponytas in Nevada, which would make sense for a regional thing, though maybe they're common everywhere.

I haven't seen any Doduos and only one Ekan. Quite a few Mankeys. Quite a few Drowzees.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Waroduce posted:

Do teams do anything? I joined blue and my friend joined red :(
Teams battle for control of gyms. There are no different abilities / bonuses.

quote:

Also how do i level pokemans up?
You can boost their power in the current level or evolve them to the next level by feeding them candy. You get candy by catching or hatching the same type.

But you shouldn't do much boosting or evolving until you get the level 9 lucky egg bonus.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rafza posted:

i dont know if anyone has tested for STAB (same type attack bonus, a 1.5x multiplier for moves sharing your typing) but i've been having pretty solid success with type coverage

I think they've tested and STAB isn't a thing.

It better not be because my cool Aerodactyl has two Steel moves

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Is there any way to earn coins besides coughing up real money? i.e. Am I stuck with one incubator for the duration?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

delfin posted:

Is there any way to earn coins besides coughing up real money? i.e. Am I stuck with one incubator for the duration?

You can "claim" from the store screen once a day, which gives you 10 coins per gym you are currently holding, up to a maximum of 100coins/10 gyms.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

delfin posted:

Hold a gym, you get 10 coins every 21 hours for having a defender in a gym up to 10 defenders (max of 100 coins every 21 hours).

e:f,b.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

delfin posted:

You get 10 coins a day per daily checkin times the number of gyms you hold, up to 10. Check in button is on the Trainer screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Keep in mind the incubators you buy from the store are not infinite, they are 3 use each

• Locked thread