Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I was gonna say loan sharks and bookies. Brainwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Cash only car wash owners?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Virigoth posted:

Cash only car wash owners?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/carwash.asp

You're just asking to get robbed by birds

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Zo posted:

Yeah but at least some asian countries have high household saving rates, which puts them way ahead of the curve even if they suck rear end at actually investing (which basically everybody is).

Yeah, the Japanese response to low interest rates is to put even more money in postal savings accounts with interest rates currently around .001 percent.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Powerlurker posted:

Yeah, the Japanese response to low interest rates is to put even more money in postal savings accounts with interest rates currently around .001 percent.

It's not completely outrageous to effectively have cash savings in Japan though, since their average inflation rate over the last decade is like -0.1%.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Dustoph posted:

Is there a profession or field that is resoundingly GWM?
I forget where I read it, might have been The Millionaire Next Door, but teachers are generally quite GWM in the sense that they don't spend themselves into debt and contribute more to their retirement plans than most other professions. Of course, they also chose a field where they aren't going to get paid very much, but you can't win em all!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

moana posted:

I forget where I read it, might have been The Millionaire Next Door, but teachers are generally quite GWM in the sense that they don't spend themselves into debt and contribute more to their retirement plans than most other professions. Of course, they also chose a field where they aren't going to get paid very much, but you can't win em all!

That's funny because while I haven't read anything about it, teachers were the first thing to pop into my mind. Unless you work during summer school, the average teacher gets paid 9-10 months out of the year here, and is by nature forced to budget that across 12 months. I imagine that many a young teacher hosed up and had a really rough summer, but probably learned from it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dustoph posted:

That's funny because while I haven't read anything about it, teachers were the first thing to pop into my mind. Unless you work during summer school, the average teacher gets paid 9-10 months out of the year here, and is by nature forced to budget that across 12 months. I imagine that many a young teacher hosed up and had a really rough summer, but probably learned from it.

Well, it depends; it's not uncommon to be able opt to receive your (reduced) salary spread out over the full 12 months.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dustoph posted:

If they don't pay you during the summer months I think you can collect unemployment as a seasonal employee, although that is getting cracked down on. I was substituting after getting laid off from my IT job and they managed to pull my unemployment after they retroactively reclassified me as an 'education employee' even though I was only working like 8 hours a week and wasn't even an employee of the school district (independent contractor status).

But yeah, teachers do seem marginally better at handling money. Maybe it's those once-a-month paychecks. Although isn't the military paid once a month? So we can now definitely rule out once-a-month paychecks as a reason.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

No, military is paid twice a month.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Remember guy with 320k in student debt? His girlfriend broke up with him. Girlfriend's post: https://www.reddit.com/r/BreakUps/comments/4s92y7/ex_making_me_feel_guilty_and_terrible_over/

Also in his comment history he said that maybe she's the gold digger for not wanting to support his rear end. This is before she broke up with him. What a guy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Coworker.

"Hey you know that Left Right Center game, where you start with three dollars, roll 4-sided dice for each dollar, send them randomly left, right, keep, or into the final pot for whoever ends up with money left? I was thinking...you could spice it up by doing it with $1 scratch tickets instead! Ooooor $2 scratch tickets!"

I decided to tell him it sounds like an unplayable game from a design perspective, instead of BWM + BWM from a money perspective.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Inept posted:

Remember guy with 320k in student debt? His girlfriend broke up with him. Girlfriend's post: https://www.reddit.com/r/BreakUps/comments/4s92y7/ex_making_me_feel_guilty_and_terrible_over/

Also in his comment history he said that maybe she's the gold digger for not wanting to support his rear end. This is before she broke up with him. What a guy.
Holy poo poo he was gold digging her, gas lighting her and cheating on her. Then he abuses her emotionally after the fact. What a piece of ahit.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
That girl dodged a massive bullet, holy poo poo.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

quote:

If she chose to leave me over money, then probably she would choose to leave me if I became incapacitated as well. And someone that shallow is not someone I'd want to be in a relationship with anyway.
This is my favorite analogy of his. More like he overate until he weighed 600 pounds and then calls her shallow for wanting to leave him because he's "incapacitated."

Thank God that poor woman got out!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lol he removed the post and locked the thread

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Good for her, better to rip that band aid off quick

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Zanthia posted:

The next generation will probably be more afraid of AI.

They'd be right to; 14 INCH would decimate 'em.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Inept posted:

Also she didn't dump him, she told him that he had to get his act together before their relationship proceeded. Sounds like she was willing to try to make it work IF he pulled his head out of his rear end.

He proceeded to dump her and start vindictively playing up a relationship with some other woman less important in his life.

Total bullet dodge!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

silvergoose posted:

Coworker.

"Hey you know that Left Right Center game, where you start with three dollars, roll 4-sided dice for each dollar, send them randomly left, right, keep, or into the final pot for whoever ends up with money left? I was thinking...you could spice it up by doing it with $1 scratch tickets instead! Ooooor $2 scratch tickets!"

I decided to tell him it sounds like an unplayable game from a design perspective, instead of BWM + BWM from a money perspective.

LCR is pretty much a game to play when you're just sitting around drinking. It's really common at bonspiels, where whoever scoops the pot buys a round of drinks. (So if you play and lose, you got a drink for $3, and if you win you... might get some change back if some people like cheap drinks or if you're able to get pitchers of beer or something instead of individual drinks.)

It's Bad With Money, Good With Curling.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We play LRC at my girlfriends family gatherings and I always seem to win as the total outsider. What is suppose to be a fun little game for everyone turns into some serious tempers flying and getting $$ for eyes. Good Wtih Money Bad With Family

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 11, 2016

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Inept posted:

Lol. He's the kind of person who runs up $320,000 in debt and thinks it's other people's fault, and she's the kind of person who pukes and "cries for days" and misses work at the thought of other people's debt. They were not made to go the distance.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think it's more the idea that she wasted years of her life on what seemed to be a viable long term relationship until very recently.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
This is why I have men bring their most recent tax returns and statements to our first date :colbert:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mocking Bird posted:

This is why I have men bring their most recent tax returns and statements to our first date :colbert:

And STI test results.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

NancyPants posted:

And STI test results.
Business, Finance, and Careers >You bought a horse today?? May god have mercy on your soul.

I misread the new homebuying thread as "horse" and thought it was the Bad With Money thread. Mods, please make this happen.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Mocking Bird posted:

A former co-worker of mine "joked" about having pulled former girlfriend's credit histories back in the day.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Also she didn't dump him, she told him that he had to get his act together before their relationship proceeded. Sounds like she was willing to try to make it work IF he pulled his head out of his rear end.

He proceeded to dump her and start vindictively playing up a relationship with some other woman less important in his life.

Total bullet dodge!

She did dodge a bullet, he's a complete piece of poo poo. He spent a lot of time lying to her and calling her a gold digger on reddit. If he didn't think the debt was that bad then he would have never concealed it from her.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
When does salary usually come up in talks? The last two I dated brought it up pretty early-- within 3 months-- but both had jobs where one would assume that someone was in the 80-140K range. So, them bringing up an actual number wasn't actually revealing that much other than confirmation of "Yeah, I'm doing great." I think I brought up my debt, or lack thereof, within 6 months and they had a general idea of my salary, though I never shared specifics on salary until I'm planning to move in with someone.

Edit: I've also found that this is a very recent mid-30s thing, the bringing up of salary/debt. Before that age, I guess nobody cared and we thought we'd live forever.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 13, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Makes me wonder what I should do. I make less than my girlfriend likely future wife probably thinks I do, but that will go up once I finish my CPA. Oh god I want to finish.

I don't have 320k in student loans and live like I expect my income to go up 50%, but I think I'll wait. :blush: I'm 32, so I should be making some decent money now.

As long as I don't wind up doing anything worthy of posting here or r/personalfinance, I should be alright.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 13, 2016

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

When does salary usually come up in talks? The last two I dated brought it up pretty early-- within 3 months-- but both had jobs where one would assume that someone was in the 80-140K range. So, them bringing up an actual number wasn't actually revealing that much other than confirmation of "Yeah, I'm doing great." I think I brought up my debt, or lack thereof, within 6 months and they had a general idea of my salary, though I never shared specifics on salary until I'm planning to move in with someone.

Edit: I've also found that this is a very recent mid-30s thing, the bringing up of salary/debt. Before that age, I guess nobody cared and we thought we'd live forever.

My only rule is "definitely before we live together." Other than that, it tends to come out naturally as you talk about your lives and goals.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm probably just more open than most but it comes up naturally within a few weeks of me seriously seeing someone. That also may be because right now I'm not making 100K a year though :v:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

I'm probably just more open than most but it comes up naturally within a few weeks of me seriously seeing someone. That also may be because right now I'm not making 100K a year though :v:

Same here. Being able to talk about money with someone I might live with or marry was too important not to bring up early.

I think I talked to my husband about it within a couple weeks but we got engaged after about 6 months sooooo I'd expect to hear about it within a month or so for normal people? :v:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I would imagine it varies based on the age you both are when you meet. My wife and I started going out in undergrad and I can't recall ever talking about money with her then. I have to imagine it would be different if I were doing the dating scene now, though.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

I usually mention it on the second or third date, whenever the conversation rolls around to talking about careers. It never hurts to casually mention "I'm not burdened by crippling amounts of undischargable debt", particularly because I have a graduate degree and that might give girls the wrong impression. Nothing specific, and it is also worth mentioning because their response tells me something about how they deal with money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It came up exactly once and that was when I got engaged. Every other relationship I've had it has never come up and I doubt it will until I get engaged or move in with someone again. I'd say right before moving in would be when it has to come up. You'd think opening a joint checking account would be another time, but my old roommate didn't think that one warranted it. Their breakup was a hilarious dumpster fire.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I only found out about the car loan my wife co-signed for an ex-boyfriend after we got married.

That was fantastic. I hope he enjoyed driving that car as much as I enjoyed paying it off.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sepherothic posted:

It never hurts to casually mention "I'm not burdened by crippling amounts of undischargable debt"
That'll get her wet.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That'll get her wet.

People underestimate how attractive it is to be in your late-20's early-30's and have your poo poo together. You know, all together in a little pile with a sign sticking in it that says "I don't have any baggage". Putting it out there is just saying you're free to go have fun and contribute equally to a relationship.

After all, nobody wants to date someone that has a noose around their neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In the land of the indebted the broke man is king

• Locked thread