Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Foxhound posted:

I'd rather have deadly bears than deadly spiders.

I have something to tell you about the deadly spider-bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

??? we have plenty of deadly snakes and spiders. Brown recluses and black widows range across much of America. We have 20 species of venomous snake.

rattlesnake, copperhead, water moccasin, coral snake (doesn't count), and ???

and brown recluses and black widows ain't poo poo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

radiatinglines posted:

There's more than one species of rattlesnake. Arizona alone has 13 different species.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Phanatic posted:

There's more than one species of rattlesnake. Arizona alone has 13 different species.

It's better than Austrailia.

Edit: Spending ten dollars on me is the real schadenfreude.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

radiatinglines posted:

Several species (eastern & western diamondback, timber, mojave, speckled, pygmy, black-tailed, tiger) of rattlesnake, Massasauga, sidewinder, cottonmouth (aka water moccasin), copperhead, coral snakes (western, eastern, Texan). (citation)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Phanatic posted:

ah yes, so rattlesnake

what I'm saying is it's not hard to identify a venomous snake here, for all intents and purposes when fiddling with snakes, a rattlesnake is a rattlesnake

It's not like Australia where any plain looking brown or green snake could be deadly

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Iron Crowned posted:

I have something to tell you about the deadly spider-bears

Spider-Bear, Spider-Bear
Does whatever a spider and a bear can

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

That avatar owns wear it with pride

And :agreed: we do have dangerous and poisonous critters in america, wth

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

LeJackal posted:

Virtually every creature on land and sea in Australia will kill you. The whole place is a death trap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

radiatinglines posted:

They at least cause a few deaths every now and then, Australia hasn't had a spider bite fatality for 37 years.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sure they are. A moose bit my sister once.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8yjL-8FQs

LOL "First time I ever got beat up by a baby moose!"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

don't do it inexplicably fletch guy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

syscall girl posted:

You mean inexplicably Money for Nothing Guy

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

radiatinglines posted:

she probably knew it wasn't venomous guys. it's not that hard to identify the three venomous snakes in North America, especially for someone from the country

Still no reason to gently caress with it. Also, THREE?

Without even looking it up: coral snake, rattlesnake, cottonmouth, water moccasin and copperhead

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

syscall girl posted:

God, syscall girl, quit trying to make fletch happen.

That guy is streets ahead and everyone knows it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So apparently the new ghostbusters movie isn't getting overwhelmingly negative reviews and MRAs are trying to figure out what to do about that:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BiggerBoat posted:

Still no reason to gently caress with it. Also, THREE?

Without even looking it up: coral snake, rattlesnake, cottonmouth, water moccasin and copperhead

As much as we all love semantics, all pit-vipers have a very similar head shape, and if you see that you know not to grab them, and that goes for rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouths. Water moccasins are cottonmouths. Coral snakes are also extremely recognizable. Even if you forget the rhyme to tell it apart from a king snake, you know drat well to steer clear of a red, yellow, and black snake.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nerdz posted:

So apparently the new ghostbusters movie isn't getting overwhelmingly negative reviews and MRAs are trying to figure out what to do about that:

This is the most bizarre reasoning. "The reviews are good but we said the movie was bad? We need to convince people that they were thinking wrong!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Most professional reviewers are crucifying it, but it's got an 80% on rotten tomatoes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nerdz posted:

That was a joke post, someone tracked down that Redditor's posting history and they'd been pro-GB2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also coral snakes live underground and inside rotting logs, it'd be hard to find one if you were looking for it. I've lived in Texas my entire 27 years and have seen precisely one. they have tiny mouths and rear fangs, so you basically have to let them chew on your finger to be envenomed. All you really have to worry about are rattlesnakes, copperheads, and water moccasins, which as the above poster said have obvious venom glands. Also, water moccasins stink and are much fatter and more stub tailed than regular water snakes.

The more you know

If you want some schadenfreude look up Steve Irwin's southern us episode and watch him be super scared of a water moccasin

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how the immunity to snake venom teeters on being named Jack.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Most professional reviewers are crucifying it, but it's got an 80% on rotten tomatoes.

I've just skimmed the reviews, but it seems like the general consensus is "Not bad, but also kinda dull and underwhelming."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chitoryu12 posted:

I've just skimmed the reviews, but it seems like the general consensus is "Not bad, but also kinda dull and underwhelming."

gonna be real surprised if its not bad though, everything released from the look fo the new car to the cgi on the ghosts looks bad

MRAs being mad rules though so it being good is even better

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

That's cuz Ebert is only with us in spirit form

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nerdz posted:

Yeah this is a troll post, this is bait.

chitoryu12 posted:

Just like every other Hollywood summer blockbuster cash-in.

Its not especially bad but its not exactly great either.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not especially bad but its not exactly great either.

... which is exactly the worst outcome because the two sides entrenched in this culture war will go "AHA! We told you so! We were right all along and this proves it!" and the bullshit will just keep going on and on and on

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

gonna be real surprised if its not bad though, everything released from the look fo the new car to the cgi on the ghosts looks bad

MRAs being mad rules though so it being good is even better

The reviews are middling. Apparently it's not awful, but it tries to play it safe instead of broaching any new ground or doing anything daring and would probably be forgotten in a few months if it wasn't a Ghostbusters reboot.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

chitoryu12 posted:

The reviews are middling. Apparently it's not awful, but it tries to play it safe instead of broaching any new ground or doing anything daring and would probably be forgotten in a few months if it wasn't a Ghostbusters reboot.

Yea, everything I saw about it was just "Meh, it doesn't suck, but you won't remember anything about it after watching it."

... which is exactly the worst outcome because the two sides entrenched in this culture war will go "AHA! We told you so! We were right all along and this proves it!" and the bullshit will just keep going on and on and on

This is pretty much what I predict as well. Should fuel the thread for a while I guess, although movie arguments are the most boring of scooty frootys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ugh, you're right. :suicide:

Still, having it be just completely terrible would be bad too, because Hollywood might overreact and decide it bombed because of the culture war and they have to kow-tow to the MRAs for awhile or something.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is a troll post, this is bait..

I dunno, it's already getting bombed pretty hard on IMDB, at 3.5/10 vs RTs 77% review aggregate. ~60 of the vote total scored it at 1/10. If that's bait then it dun caught a lot of MRA fishes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The schadenfreude is at the expense of anyone with a stake in this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

I dunno, it's already getting bombed pretty hard on IMDB, at 3.5/10 vs RTs 77% review aggregate. ~60 of the vote total scored it at 1/10. If that's bait then it dun caught a lot of MRA fishes.

How many 1 star reviews are MRA spam?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh yes, the renowned IMDB rating system

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

At least the movie's out now and the fact that it hasn't killed all film and entertainment forever like Y2K means that we can just move on to when they make a dumb Duke Nukem reboot movie instead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We've already had data points for the "best" outcome in the form of Star Wars and Mad Max: movies that were ravingly successful despite the mewling of the MRAs. I don't know whether they made a lasting impression on filmmaking, though, or whether if Ghostbusters (a much "lighter" and lower-stakes property) fails they'll all get cold feet and backtrack on the "what the hell, let's put women and black people in important roles for once" experiment.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

RareAcumen posted:

At least the movie's out now and the fact that it hasn't killed all film and entertainment forever like Y2K means that we can just move on to when they make a dumb Duke Nukem reboot movie instead.

With Duke as a trans man. :devil:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Data Graham posted:

I don't know whether they made a lasting impression on filmmaking, though, or whether if Ghostbusters (a much "lighter" and lower-stakes property) fails they'll all get cold feet and backtrack on the "what the hell, let's put women and black people in important roles for once" experiment.

In case anyone thinks that's an exaggeration, the Sony email leaks showed studio execs arguing that superhero movies starring women can't work and citing films like Supergirl as proof even though that film is 30 years old.

Edit:
https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/121981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Data Graham posted:

We've already had data points for the "best" outcome in the form of Star Wars and Mad Max: movies that were ravingly successful despite the mewling of the MRAs. I don't know whether they made a lasting impression on filmmaking, though, or whether if Ghostbusters (a much "lighter" and lower-stakes property) fails they'll all get cold feet and backtrack on the "what the hell, let's put women and black people in important roles for once" experiment.

I should go see Ghostbusters just to encourage them, shouldn't I?