Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Kingfish posted:

Do you think it's possible that culture plays a contributing role to crime in the black community alongside poverty and racism?

that sounds dangerously close to suggesting that murderers are somewhat responsible for their own actions :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Cartouche posted:

If we are all going to get to the bottom of racial issues, it is guys like this that we need to be litening to, and not guys like Al Sharpton.

Truly a voice of a generation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx72Na62kO8

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm going to laugh if cartouche gets fired over this thread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Automatic Retard posted:

I love how you've all gone back to calling black people blacks, and white people whites, and finally hosed that "African American" bullshit off.

they went back to using "colored" to refer to everybody on the planet who isn't white lmao

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Evil_Greven posted:

Y'all know like, 1/3rd of all murders ain't ever solved, so the error on those statistics are pretty bad, right?

lol

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
looks at conviction statistics "hmmm yes 1/3 unsolved"

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

McNutty posted:

It is an absurd waste of money that should absolutely be used to correct the much much more important funding gap in education. I get that you mostly understand, but honestly you need to see how much more pervasive of a social ill illiteracy is than a random active shooter which Baton Rouge has not had since ever because that is actually not a real problem.

You do realize that money allotted to one government agency can't just be transferred to another easily? Most of the time it's impossible for a school system to transfer money from one account to another once it's been put into a certain fund. Oh, there's $2-million surplus in the building maintenance account but no money for classroom supplies? Too bad.

So... reallocating money from the police to local schools is both bizarre and retarded.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
And they had that 15% off tank coupon. They sorta had to buy it when you think about it.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

You do realize that money allotted to one government agency can't just be transferred to another easily? Most of the time it's impossible for a school system to transfer money from one account to another once it's been put into a certain fund. Oh, there's $2-million surplus in the building maintenance account but no money for classroom supplies? Too bad.

So... reallocating money from the police to local schools is both bizarre and retarded.

a modern state government took six hours of one day to pass the bathroom bill

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

a modern state government took six hours of one day to pass the bathroom bill

Bathroom Bill sounds like the friendly mascot that teaches you to tolerate boys in wigs who use the girls bathroom

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

Thats a good chart of some results

The better and more useful chart would be the one explaining WHY the blacks are more represented

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Kawabata posted:

the big question all of us europeans have is why do all your cops looks like huge middle-aged racist sister-fucker douchebags

it's always shaved head, muscular and or fat, stupid look on face, borderline mongoloid, racist

why

it's like there's recruiters walking the streets looking for the shittiest people: welcome to the force, friend

do attractive thin cops with glasses exist? cause it's not like physical strength is required, they just immediately shoot people anyway lol

There's this prevalent middle American men's style that combines the looks of wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin and baseball player Mark McGuire. It's not just the cops, it's the bold strong look of the true American patriot.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nation posted:

in the ghet-toooooo

bring back old gbs posted:

in the ghet-toooooo

Late to say, but this made me lol irl. Good postin combo, guys. Keep it up.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"Reality isn't abhorrent enough so let's invent an even more abhorrent fantasy and call it 'personal truth'. This will definitely legitimize our cause and rally the oppressed." - every hashtag activist

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Looking at that household net worth chart, do blacks etc suffer from the white man keeping them down or is it a case of them having a chip on their shoulder and moan about being poor and doing nothing about it?

I lived in the states in various places for a few years. Granted the 'roughest' place I went to was Harlem but of my non white friends, they didn't mention anything about being 'kept down' and all of them had well paid jobs. I'm just curious if it's a similar thing to people in the UK where a good chunk of people who are poor spend more energy moaning about it then doing something about it. Hopefully this doesn't come off as too inflammatory. It's more curiousity then anything.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-protest-photo_us_5782d1ffe4b0344d514fdddc

Truly a powerful momemt, just like that guy from the Tiananmen Square protest.

Except that guy was probably tortured, killed, and dumped into an anonymous mass grave. Wheras this lady was charged with a misdemeanor at most and is now released. But you know, it's totally the same thing.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tai posted:

Looking at that household net worth chart, do blacks etc suffer from the white man keeping them down or is it a case of them having a chip on their shoulder and moan about being poor and doing nothing about it?

I lived in the states in various places for a few years. Granted the 'roughest' place I went to was Harlem but of my non white friends, they didn't mention anything about being 'kept down' and all of them had well paid jobs. I'm just curious if it's a similar thing to people in the UK where a good chunk of people who are poor spend more energy moaning about it then doing something about it. Hopefully this doesn't come off as too inflammatory. It's more curiousity then anything.

its hard to get ahead when starting at a negative or zero. black schools suck and there are typically no good jobs in the area.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Tai posted:

Blacks are as a group discriminated against in the venues of housing, employment, education, and criminal justice among others. Those issues plus limited upward social mobility creates the problems we are seeing. Whether that discrimination stems from a place of racism or classism is a difficult thing to fully answer.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

#votebunnycolvin

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tai posted:

What is this something they should do instead of complaining that would make them not-poor? (note that "get a job" is not an answer because like half of people below the poverty line already have jobs)

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

ymgve posted:

What is this something they should do instead of complaining that would make them not-poor? (note that "get a job" is not an answer because like half of people below the poverty line already have jobs)

Well it's only going to get worse as automation and trade deals increasingly push lower skilled jobs overseas

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Well it's only going to get worse as automation and trade deals increasingly push lower skilled jobs overseas

Completely true. Which is why the formerly insane sounding guaranteed basic income needs to be discussed if only to help find something else that is going to support an ever increasing number of unemployable people.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tai posted:

Black people get hosed over on the regular in pretty blatant and explicitly racist ways (eg. name discrimination in hiring, lower funding for 'urban' schools). That gets compounded by lovely tough-on-crime initiatives like mandatory minimums or War on Drugs nonsense. So you end up with lots of dumb young men from families that can't afford to balance the scales of justice making stupid mistakes, who end up getting hosed harder by the court system than their white peers, receiving criminal records that bar them from entry level jobs or socially healthy employment for a few years minimum before the record can maybe be expunged. But more than likely, they'll get picked up on some petty parole violation like failing a piss test and end up in prison, and there'll be zilch systemic support to help them re-integrate when they get out.

The whole system is completely hosed up and bullshit.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 11, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

McNutty posted:

Completely true. Which is why the formerly insane sounding guaranteed basic income needs to be discussed if only to help find something else that is going to support an ever increasing number of unemployable people.

I don't see that really happening, at least not in a meaningful way.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

McNutty posted:

True, it should probably be looked at closer in the near future.

Here's a scary thought though: From the perspective of the ultra rich: if these poor people contribute nothing to society other than draining resources, what is the purpose of keeping them around?

When I say "poor people" I mean literally all of us btw.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
lmbo d&d

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

ymgve posted:

That's why I'm asking. In the UK, some people are poor because they won't get a job because they feel they are better then to work in a shop, flip burgers, warehouses etc. Then they give some bull poo poo that immigrants steal the jobs ya de ya. I was just curious if it's a similar thing in the states that non whites people won't work because they think they are better then to work in certain places then blame the white guy for keeping them down etc.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Fire Barrel posted:

I don't see that really happening, at least not in a meaningful way.

I mean it is hard to fathom but technology is coming and fast. We have 3.5 million truck drivers in this country and a whole bunch of them can and will be replaced with a computer at the earliest opportunity. And that is just one (albeit enormous) industry.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Young Freud posted:

No, I meant it more as rhetorical retort to all the people who think BLM is some sort of black nationalist/supremacist/revolutionary organization.

BLM an organization? It doesn't exist folks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-protest-photo_us_5782d1ffe4b0344d514fdddc

Truly a powerful momemt, just like that guy from the Tiananmen Square protest.

Except that guy was probably tortured, killed, and dumped into an anonymous mass grave. Wheras this lady was charged with a misdemeanor at most and is now released. But you know, it's totally the same thing.

this. yeah, its powerful picture. you see how ludicrous the cops look, but acting like she is on the same level as tank man is retarded.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
So that cop in Kansas threatening a little kid on facebook actually happened:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kansas-cop-fired-after-threatening-dallas-woman-facebook-n606911

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Minimalist Program posted:

I am not sure why the US goons are getting so super mad because I point out that, in the US, it's normal to walk around with Kalashnikov and glocks.

it's really not that common

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

awsome, gently caress that sack of poo poo.

also sounds like micah was a real Czolgosz. he wanted to be a big bad extreamist, but everyone thought he was a nut/idiot/not their material.

http://uproxx.com/news/micah-johnson-rejected-by-black-power-groups-unfit/

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Also both Johnson and Czolgosz wanted to gently caress this woman

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Dude is drinking Jack, ruminating over a subject thoughtfully and not at all insultingly or judgemental. Do you have an issue with him being a well spoken intelligent african american?

Microwaves Mom posted:

I'm going to laugh if cartouche gets fired over this thread.

posting from work.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

He doesn't seem all that intelligent.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

McNutty posted:

He doesn't seem all that intelligent.

Are you detecting wrongthink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

so much for that narrative about police shooting black people because they're black

they are more physical with them due to racial bias, so what drives the racial bias? someone repost the charts and graphs that show the violence statistics

• Locked thread