Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Those are recolored editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Yep. So if the collection is from the last 8-10 years it should be recoloured.
Truly, Photoshopped gradient backgrounds are what Sandman was missing all along.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 12, 2016

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

gently caress it. Just got the omnibuses.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

obi_ant posted:

gently caress it. Just got the omnibuses.

I prefer the original colors but it's still freaking Sandman, you'll enjoy it no matter what.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Sorry about the poo poo quality, but I just found this bad boy after missing for I don't even know how long.

stuff for comparison

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Excalibur and New Mutants Epic Collections incoming. They seem to have given up the ghost on Fantastic Four releases in this line, which I suppose shouldn't surprise me, but is still disappointing.

One trade I'd actually be really keen to see reprinted is the "Magneto: Rogue Nation" one from about 15 years ago - it collects the Magneto War story arc that (I think) Alan Davis did just after he took over from Kelly and Seagle; it's the one where Magneto is given control over Genosha by the UN. I think it's a possibility, because the last nineties X-Men collection they did was the Hunt for Xavier arc and the next one they're doing is the Trial of Gambit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just learned from twitter that DC has canceled the Gary Frank Graphic Ink book. Somebody reset that stupid DC things counter.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do those things sell? I'm guessing the Darwyn one got a huge uptick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do those things sell? I'm guessing the Darwyn one got a huge uptick.

I like them but they probably sell like poo poo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

DC have apparently also cancelled the Waid Flash trades.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

irlZaphod posted:

DC have apparently also cancelled the Waid Flash trades.

Didn't this turn out to be an error on Diamond's part and the books are still coming out and Waid overreacted?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I noticed DC cancelled the collected Batman & Robin hardcover at some point, hopefully this means they realized how stupid it is to leave out Time and the Batman and Return of Bruce Wayne (seriously, how did they release an Absolute like this) and instead they're going to do what they should have done forever ago and just start releasing 'Grant Morrison's Batman' oshcs and later tpbs. The trade order is so unnecessarily confusing from the perspective of someone trying to get into modern/good Batman and on top of that you have to dodge some lovely event tie ins, it would be cool if I could just point to "pick up volumes 1-5 of this" like I can with JLA.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd just like a Morrison batman omni. Is that to much to ask?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norns posted:

I'd just like a Morrison batman omni. Is that to much to ask?

It would seem so.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You'd need three volumes.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What's the over/under on the Ostrander/McDonnell Suicide Squad reprint series being slain before it's complete?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

What's the over/under on the Ostrander/McDonnell Suicide Squad reprint series being slain before it's complete?

If the movie's a hit they'll probably accelerate the releases.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

If the movie's a hit they'll probably accelerate the releases.

Yes, but on the other hand New 52 Suicide Squad stuff might end up getting way more pushed and the actual good comics left in the dust.

I mean, yeah they're putting everything with the movie's name on it out. That's the only explanation for why there's going to be a collection of Brave and the Bold era Suicide Squad comics. However, we've been burned on getting Squad collections before and I don't trust DC's collections department not to do something stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

Yes, but on the other hand New 52 Suicide Squad stuff might end up getting way more pushed and the actual good comics left in the dust.

I mean, yeah they're putting everything with the movie's name on it out. That's the only explanation for why there's going to be a collection of Brave and the Bold era Suicide Squad comics. However, we've been burned on getting Squad collections before and I don't trust DC's collections department not to do something stupid.

All of the N52 SS stuff is in print and easily available so I don't think they'd do much other than offer is on special to retailers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon UK indicates there's a Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison omnibus on the horizon.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Wheat Loaf posted:

Amazon UK indicates there's a Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison omnibus on the horizon.

Amazon.com removed it recently, I guess Amazon UK is slower to update: http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?source=catalog&catalogID=3900862&startIndex=28&rows=10&sord=1&savecook=1

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Space Fish posted:

Didn't this turn out to be an error on Diamond's part and the books are still coming out and Waid overreacted?
I wasn't aware of that, I'd only seen Waid tweet about it being cancelled. But that's good news, if true.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

I wasn't aware of that, I'd only seen Waid tweet about it being cancelled. But that's good news, if true.

It's been confirmed as an error and Waid once again jumping to conclusions. He probably decided he was banned from the DC offices at the same time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd be more surprised if he's not banned from the DC offices, really.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I'd be more surprised if he's not banned from the DC offices, really.

True, he's made some vague threats towards Didio in the past.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Clarification request - was looking up the PAD / Frank Supergirl Vol. 1 TPB on Amazon UK and it's listed as being available used for £80 or so, but I looked it up on Amazon US and it's still up for pre-order (release date is October while Amazon UK's site says it was last month). What's happened here?

Also, what's going on with the George Pérez WW omni vol. 2? Looks like there's something fishy there because its release date was last week but it's listed as temporarily out of stock.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Amazon UK seems to have something funky going on with comic release dates, at least for DC. I think they had a Morrison Batman Omnibus solicited that didn't even exist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Clarification request - was looking up the PAD / Frank Supergirl Vol. 1 TPB on Amazon UK and it's listed as being available used for £80 or so, but I looked it up on Amazon US and it's still up for pre-order (release date is October while Amazon UK's site says it was last month). What's happened here?

Also, what's going on with the George Pérez WW omni vol. 2? Looks like there's something fishy there because its release date was last week but it's listed as temporarily out of stock.

It is currently scheduled for a US release on October 19th.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Amazon UK seems to have something funky going on with comic release dates, at least for DC. I think they had a Morrison Batman Omnibus solicited that didn't even exist.

It certainly looks that way!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It's possible "temporarily out of stock" in this case means "no more pre-orders accepted"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now that three more softcover volumes of Saga are out we should be getting a solicit for the second volume of the hardcovers, right?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Now that three more softcover volumes of Saga are out we should be getting a solicit for the second volume of the hardcovers, right?

Lying...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

The HC came out 8 months after the 3rd softcover. Volume 6 came out a month ago so if they go by the same time table you can expect to see it in February.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I hope they do. It was 9 months between the 3rd TPB and HC for Deadly Class.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Isn't their schedule set up so that if you enjoy the hardcover, you can immediately get the next TPB and if you enjoy the TPB, you start buying monthly?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So how do you guys organise trades etc on a shelf? Alphabetise by author (possibly separating out into Marvel and DC)? Some kind of chronological order, either internal or publishing?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have a somewhat... complicated method of organisation, but I'm also willing to break that method if I feel that something needs to work out in a certain way and the method wouldn't allow that.

I tend to group from genre > publisher > group (e.g. Bat-family, Superman, mutants, whatever) > style or theme > character > chronology which tends to create little chunks of somewhat related material that I feel reads well together, for example I have Batman: Year One, followed by Monster Men, Mad Monk, Man Who Laughs and Long Halloween. Similarly, on the end I have a series of Batman Elseworlds organised by time period, starting with Gotham by Gaslight and then followed by The Golden Streets of Gotham, The Doom that came to Gotham and Nine Lives.

And of course those bits where I break the method, it's generally things like deciding that a story feels better when with something else, such as Gate of Gotham being with my Batgirl stuff, or my collection grew, and the new additions made the original ordering seem out of place, but I try not to focus too much on those because if I do I'll drive myself nuts trying to figure out how to fix it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All of mine are a dreadful mess. I keep meaning to tidy them up a bit but I never quite seem to get around to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine are alphabetical by title.

I don't like going by writer for two reasons: 1) it can split up a single title for no real reason (i.e. I have F4 books by Waid, Byrne, and Hickman, and maybe some more, and those would be all over the place), and 2) it minimizes the importance of the artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Marvel comics are in a group. Those are alphabetical by title, sort of organized by date. I try to group like things together. Example: under A I have Annihilation, followed by all the follow up series. Under D are my Daredevil books organized Miller - > Bendis - > Waid.

All my other books are all mixed together by title, no matter the publisher. I break that rule sometimes, like having all of Mignola's books under H for Hellboy or having Point Blank next to Sleeper.

I have separate areas for manga sized books and oversized books as they get lost in the shuffle otherwise.