Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I keep them in a white shoe-box looking card box, with each playset of 3 cards in a penny sleeve. When they go into real decks I sleeve them in regular card game sleeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Still trying to offload my full GoT set, lemme know if you're looking to bust in on the game on the cheap.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

tokenbrownguy posted:

Still trying to offload my full GoT set, lemme know if you're looking to bust in on the game on the cheap.

I got it cheap from a local friend, but I could pass the word around to my other buddies if you don't mind a friend-of-a-friend thing. No promises I'll get bites, but I know at least one guy who was sad he missed the set I got.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'd appreciate that, thanks! I'd like to make $100 after shipping, so I understand if nothing comes up. Gotta move them GoTs...

...so I can buy more Netrunner. :psyduck:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, how do you guys store all this poo poo? I'll probably get a couple of deck boxes to cart decks around to game nights, but what about the other 1500 cards that aren't in my active decks?

I'm a long time believer in binders for card game storage. Much more visual and easier to peruse than flipping through cards in shoeboxes or several small deck boxes.

I have two 9-card/page binders and one 4-card/page binder all from UltraPro. Each card slot in the pages holds a playset (3x) of a single card. The first 9-card is for the Core set, with things like the Varys, Littlefinger, the 2x econ Roads, and various others all getting multiple facings as needed, with plenty of room to spare for House cards, Title cards, and extras I put in the back due to promos I acquire or whatever. The other 9-card is for Chapter Packs, and will hold 3 complete cycles with a little bit of wiggle room. Finally the smaller 4-card binder I'm using because I already had it from a past game, but it's currently holding the Stark deluxe set, and has room for 3 full Deluxe sets as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Long boxes with everything sorted by house/type/alphabetical. Super cheap and fast to find anything.

Also, if you're new to this game don't bother with any of the 500 podcasts related to it, they're all terrible.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, how do you guys store all this poo poo? I'll probably get a couple of deck boxes to cart decks around to game nights, but what about the other 1500 cards that aren't in my active decks?

BCW Boxes

radlum
May 13, 2013
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/13/the-sands-of-harad/

New deluxe expansion for LOTR. To be honest, the chance to go to mostly unexplored regions from the lore of LOTR seems really great. I guess this will quash rumors of the game being mostly over, at least for a year.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

radlum posted:

New deluxe expansion for LOTR. To be honest, the chance to go to mostly unexplored regions from the lore of LOTR seems really great. I guess this will quash rumors of the game being mostly over, at least for a year.

I'd be fine with them stopping releases for a while just so I could feel like I was catching up. I ended up ordering all of the KD adventure packs this weekend though since they finally exist for less than double msrp.

On another note, why is LotR so underrepresented at game stores? Is this just a regional thing? There's one store that does a weekly lotr meetup and stocks a good portion of stuff, but every other store I've been to (6+ now), I get a blank stare and a "lord of the rings card game? Never heard of it mate. If you don't see it on the wall, we don't have it." This, despite them dedicating significant amounts of shelf space to virtually every other FFG-published LCG.

Fake edit: I guess at one store, the guy at least said "oh yeah, we used to carry the core but I guess we ran out."

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Because it's way easier to play at home since you don't need a critical mass of ~8 people to keep it fresh. And when people do come to the game store it's to play the competitive game that needs that critical mass.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My local shop was like "Oh, I didn't know anyone played LOTR" :(
That said, wooooooow. I am loving this branching out into the lore that FFG has going on.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
So we're gonna be setting aside a threat dial for the temperature of the desert, that is super cool.

Vigilant Dúnadan should be real good back in the old Angmar Awakened cycle too with all those inbuilt side quests. Long live LotR LCG and its accompanying madness.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 13, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Because it's way easier to play at home since you don't need a critical mass of ~8 people to keep it fresh. And when people do come to the game store it's to play the competitive game that needs that critical mass.

Yeah, I get that part, I've certainly never gone to a store to play it. I'm more surprised that no one seems to stock it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I get that part, I've certainly never gone to a store to play it. I'm more surprised that no one seems to stock it.

My local game store doesn't stock it either, despite having a brisk trade in Netrunner, X-Wing, AGOT 2e, and even the Star Wars LCG. Dude says that great games are often crappy products.
They have to price at MSRP to cover any of their B&M overhead. If you're not going to go in store to play it, most players will just order it online and have it shipped to them (cheaper!).
For that matter, half the X Wing players that play in that store buy most of their stuff online anyway. :shrug:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Hauki posted:

I live on Long Island so I get all the packs through the Warstore and pick it up at their brick and mortar shop. The shop doesn't really carry any of the LotR line in store, I think once or twice I saw an adventure pack on the shelf. They're more of a miniatures store though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

radlum posted:

Giant scorpions.

Flame of the West - Arabian Nights Expansion - Final books saga box - Death

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm sure that they'll come up with one more deluxe to highlight a location/theme that'll annoy you :)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I really liked the video game Shadow of Mordor, despite venturing into :siren: non canon territory :siren:
This also seems cool.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm sure that they'll come up with one more deluxe to highlight a location/theme that'll annoy you :)

After Tatooine maybe we'll go to Hoth. Some players say they "want to see Rhun" but I don't know what planet that's supposed to be. A broad Chinese caricature (with dragons)?

At least Tolkien would have approved of that one.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I find the concept of giant arachnids in middle earth to be highly contrary to the spirit of Tolkien's writings

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

canyoneer posted:

I really liked the video game Shadow of Mordor, despite venturing into :siren: non canon territory :siren:
This also seems cool.

Half ghost batman was a great batman

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Half ghost batman was a great batman

CJ-brimbor, you have to follow the train

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The part where Orcs would recognize you and haul rear end was fantastic

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I'm hoping with the announcement of this new cycle we can hear the end of the game is dying cries if only for alittle while.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Well it's sure increased the number of people crying about 'game is dying cries' anyway.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

canyoneer posted:

This also seems cool.

I tried making a custom quest based on it a while back. I should go back and mess with it some more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VHIfwWvf5s

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've played 6-8 AGoT games now, think I have a handle on the basic mechanics and the flow of the game.

However, encounters with other players have let me know that there are depths to the game I didn't even know existed. Ran across a Stark fealty deck that had some crazy stand mechanics centered around Robb and Jon. I couldn't consistently win challenges because they were always there.

Are there any good resources that outline these sorts of "tricks" that a house may have? The synergies between cards? It's all good to know that the Targs center around "burn" mechanics and kills, and that Greyjoy prefers unopposed challenges. But what enables that? How do they make it work?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

http://thronesdb.com/

Look at the most popular decks (the ones with the most hearts/comments) and read their decklists and the comments on the right discussing their choices and how they play. Also, learn the timing rules of when players can take actions/reactions, as it's pretty specific and easy to mess up. There are some really funky interactions and timing things in this game, almost on the level of MtG.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bottom Liner posted:

http://thronesdb.com/

Look at the most popular decks (the ones with the most hearts/comments) and read their decklists and the comments on the right discussing their choices and how they play. Also, learn the timing rules of when players can take actions/reactions, as it's pretty specific and easy to mess up. There are some really funky interactions and timing things in this game, almost on the level of MtG.

I've been doing that, and I get some of it. But a lot, perhaps even most, of them are written with the idea that the reader already knows how to play the game on a certain level.

This one is probably the best-written of them all, but I still don't get a lot of it.

https://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/5137/we-do-not-have-time-to-sow-vancouver-wa-2016-regionals-1st-1.0

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The biggest thing then after that is to just play with and against each of the houses/archetypes and get a feel for what they're trying to do and see the cards that accomplish it. I'd recommend building a fealty/Lord of the Crossing deck of each house and playing them head to head for a while to get a good grasp on things. Just set aside the neutrals you need for each deck (Rods/Milks) and swap them in/out after each game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've played 6-8 AGoT games now, think I have a handle on the basic mechanics and the flow of the game.

However, encounters with other players have let me know that there are depths to the game I didn't even know existed. Ran across a Stark fealty deck that had some crazy stand mechanics centered around Robb and Jon. I couldn't consistently win challenges because they were always there.

Are there any good resources that outline these sorts of "tricks" that a house may have? The synergies between cards? It's all good to know that the Targs center around "burn" mechanics and kills, and that Greyjoy prefers unopposed challenges. But what enables that? How do they make it work?

Greyjoy: Gets unopposed through stealth, Balon/Longships, and by killing all your dudes. Major combo is Balon and Great Kraken. Risen from the Sea keeps them alive so they can throw everything into their attacks and eat challenge losses. Many abilities trigger off, or only work as being the first player.

Baratheon: Kneels your dudes with Melisandre+R'hllor cards, keeps them knelt with Stannis, then destroys you in power challenges with King Robert and Superior Claims.

Stark: Cancels all your events by cycling Summer/Bran, stands someone with Jon/Robb, gets power with Eddard, Blackfish and Catelyn. Stops battle tricks with Winterfell, and can double claim with Winter is Coming.

Targaryen: Dany reduces your strength, dragons blow them up with Dracarys. Kind of a one trick pony, if you can cancel Dracarys or kill Dany you'll probably win. Lot of themes that aren't there yet like Bloodrider and Dothraki.

Night's Watch: Defend challenges to keep The Wall standing and win dominance. The Wall + Old Bear is the only real combo in the deck. I guess Benjen and 'The Watch has Need' can be good.

Tyrell: Lots of STR pumps. Loras with pumps wins challenges and gets Sansa's Rose. Randall + Heartsbane/Margary is good. Can pay money with Highgarden, or use Mare in Heat, to knock you out of the challenge.

Martell: Loses challenges toput tokens on the Boneway, returns attackers to hand with Ghaston Grey, also punishes with Vengence for Elia and His Viper Eyes. Nymeria steals your icons and uses them for herself, Tyene is a repeatableTears of Lys; these two are a very strong combo along with Attainted which also removes Intrigue icons.

Lannister: Very popular because an amazing selection of characters, Tywin arugably the best 7 cost unit in the game. Money for days with Tywin/Tyrion. Bet Against My Family and Hear Me Roar pulls units from their hand or deck into play for a turn. Treachery cancels card abilities on units/locations/attachments. Cheap strong units like The Hound or Bronn. Extremely versatile and hard to defend against faction because of so many threats and ways to use them each turn you are guessing if they'll try for Put to the Sword, Tears, or Trial by Combat. Lots of different combos and the money to pay for expensive event cards.

General deck building tips: Run x3 Hand's Judgement in every deck simply as a meta to opponent's if you can use it to cancel other's event do, but keep it to ensure your events don't get canceled. Costs 0 to cancel itself(printed X = 0). Milk can be a hit or miss card, and most factions will run x1 Confiscation in their plot deck to get rid of it. Seal of the Hand seems like a good card but not every deck needs to be able to stand a character to swing a second time and that 3 gold could be better spent on another unit. Superior Claim and Put to the Sword work best in factions that can manipulate their STR in battle but most decks should still run Put to the Sword because it's a targeted kill and every deck can make use of that at any time, whereas Superior Claim is a win-more card and doesn't improve your board position.

In the plot deck, run Wildfire Assault and use it when your opponent has more than 3 good characters on the field. Also run Confiscation to prevent Milk from blanking one of your mains for longer than a turn. First Snow of Winter may or may not be good depending on your deck but is a popular card that can help remove chumps before making an attack. Calm over Westeros is also nice to slow down early aggression on military challenges while still providing very good gold and reserve value. The other 3-4 slots are up to you, usually one of them will be A Noble Cause.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

ConfusedUs posted:

The game isn't really that deep in its present form IMO - there are a few "core combos" that factions have access to, but aside from that most of the strategy is fairly straightforward - board position over power, try to predict what plot your opponent will use, etc.

In terms of main combos/tricks for Targaryen:

Dracarys! is among the best cards in the game - it's a 1 cost event that requires them to kneel Dany or a dragon, and gives a target enemy challenge participant -4 strength, and they're killed if their strength hits 0. This is extremely strong because it goes through saves (you can use the save, but your guy immediately dies again afterwards so it doesn't matter) and kills most strong characters immediately.

To counter this, be extremely careful of initiating challenges with important 4 or less strength characters as long as Targ has 1 gold (Fealty can pay this gold) and Dany or a dragon. Keep in mind also that strength reductions from Dany, Unsullied, etc. can make 5 strength characters vulnerable to this instant kill.

Targ also has Crown of Gold, an attachment with the same effect (-4 strength and dead if strength 0), which is extremely powerful but limited to one copy per deck, and Plaza of Punishment, a repeatable kill effect (only -2 strength, though) which relies on winning Power challenges. Keep in mind that if you defend a Power challenge against Unsullied or with Dany standing, you're still in the challenge at the time that Plaza triggers, so you can conceivably lose 3 strength characters thanks to reduction.

In general, I find that Dracarys! is so good that I almost always win if I draw more than one, especially early in the game; it's probably worth playing 2-3x Hand's Judgement just to try and mitigate this, with some other upside against Tears, Put to the Sword, Risen from the Sea, etc.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you banner Targ instead of play it as your main house make sure to play Mirri Maz Dur. Straight up one of the scariest cards in the game if you can get her on the table and protect her.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you banner Targ instead of play it as your main house make sure to play Mirri Maz Dur. Straight up one of the scariest cards in the game if you can get her on the table and protect her.

She also serves as a great distraction because one she hits the table, people get worried.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks for all of that, guys. I appreciate it!

The advice to just make Fealty/LotC decks and then play them against each other was a good one. I hadn't thought of that! I need to pick up the Stark box before I play with them too much, I think, but the others have been pretty straightforward so far. Greyjoy seems like a lot of fun.

I have a question about timing for "actions". It's probably obvious, but seems like when each action window opens, there's the opportunity for both players to play actions.

Who goes first? The first player seems logical, and I *think* that's what it said in the rulebook (please confirm or correct me!).

However, is the window circular? That is to say, if the first player plays an Action card, then the second player does his own Action in response, does the first player have a chance to player another? Or is it just the one chance to play Action cards per window?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
The action window passes when both players pass. So you can keep playing events till you run out of them or gold.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ConfusedUs posted:

I have a question about timing for "actions". It's probably obvious, but seems like when each action window opens, there's the opportunity for both players to play actions.

Who goes first? The first player seems logical, and I *think* that's what it said in the rulebook (please confirm or correct me!).

First player, that is correct.

ConfusedUs posted:

However, is the window circular? That is to say, if the first player plays an Action card, then the second player does his own Action in response, does the first player have a chance to player another? Or is it just the one chance to play Action cards per window?

It is "circular", yes. Both players have as many opportunities to perform Actions as they choose until they pass at which point the game progresses to the next step or Phase.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Excellent!

If the first player passes, then the second player does an event, does the first player get another chance to respond?

Or is a player just "done" with that window once they pass.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It always starts with the first player, and then repeats until both players pass. I'll just c/p the rules reference book:

An Action may only be initiated during an action window. Action windows are presented in red boxes on the chart. When an action window opens, the first player has the first opportunity to initiate an action, or pass. Opportunities to initiate actions rotate between the players in player order until all players consecutively pass, at which point the action window closes. (Note that if a player passes his or her opportunity to act, but the other opponents do not consecutively pass in sequence, the original player may still take an action when the rotation of action opportunities comes back around to the original player.) Resolve each action completely before the next action opportunity.

Keep in mind that the only thing that happens "in response" to something else are interrupts. If I Put to the Sword one of your dudes, you can't use Jon Snow to sacrifice him because Jon Snow's ability doesn't have the interrupt tag. You could use Jory Cassel because his ability does have that tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Swagger Dagger posted:

It always starts with the first player, and then repeats until both players pass. I'll just c/p the rules reference book:

An Action may only be initiated during an action window. Action windows are presented in red boxes on the chart. When an action window opens, the first player has the first opportunity to initiate an action, or pass. Opportunities to initiate actions rotate between the players in player order until all players consecutively pass, at which point the action window closes. (Note that if a player passes his or her opportunity to act, but the other opponents do not consecutively pass in sequence, the original player may still take an action when the rotation of action opportunities comes back around to the original player.) Resolve each action completely before the next action opportunity.

Keep in mind that the only thing that happens "in response" to something else are interrupts. If I Put to the Sword one of your dudes, you can't use Jon Snow to sacrifice him because Jon Snow's ability doesn't have the interrupt tag. You could use Jory Cassel because his ability does have that tag.

That's perfect. Thanks!