Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dirt posted:

I prefer that 24" or 24.75" scale tone@!!!!!222!!!!@@!!!11!

Tell me why I need more/multiple scale length(s) please

Because your utter lack of talent has left a yawning chasm that you can only hope to fill with an ever-escalating deluge of stupid guitar poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

Because your utter lack of talent has left a yawning chasm that you can only hope to fill with an ever-escalating deluge of stupid guitar poo poo

gently caress

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dirt posted:

gently caress

There is a little good news - going the multi-scale/ERG route just ends with you making tweedly unlistenable garbage that sounds like robots loving instead of something truly horrible like buying a Klon or a Dumble

Dirt
May 26, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

There is a little good news - going the multi-scale/ERG route just ends with you making tweedly unlistenable garbage that sounds like robots loving instead of something truly horrible like buying a Klon or a Dumble

My entire guitar sound is me trying to pretend I am Buckethead.

Will a multiscale guitar help me or what?

I put a killswitch in my lovely Ibanez. I am pretty metal.

edit: I need left/right hand Independence exercises because using a killswitch is hard as gently caress and Buckethead makes it look so easy

edit 2: Look at this poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVCOKbYKQm8 It's harder than it looks

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 3, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheChaosPath posted:

I had to look up what a Dumble was.

It makes so much sense now.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Dirt posted:

My entire guitar sound is me trying to pretend I am Buckethead.

Will a multiscale guitar help me or what?

I put a killswitch in my lovely Ibanez. I am pretty metal.

edit: I need left/right hand Independence exercises because using a killswitch is hard as gently caress and Buckethead makes it look so easy

edit 2: Look at this poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVCOKbYKQm8 It's harder than it looks

how does anyone stay awake during this jeeeesus

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

I'm sorry you like lovely music/guitarists

edit: buckethead owns so hard

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

What is the point of a multi scale guitar?

I have a bunch of guitars ranging from 24" to 27.5" scale. What am I missing?

supposedly it provides better intonation

e: buckethead's tolerable in small doses playing other people's music i.e. praxis but otherwise no thank you

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007
Hello goons, I made a drum beat that combines the very essence of GBS - heavy metal and burgs. I hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejujshOC8OI

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

iMonarch posted:

Hello goons, I made a drum beat that combines the very essence of GBS - heavy metal and burgs. I hope you enjoy.

This is the Stupid Music poo poo thread, not the Awesome Music poo poo thread.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

supposedly it provides better intonation

e: buckethead's tolerable in small doses playing other people's music i.e. praxis but otherwise no thank you

improved intonation is a minor side effect. it's about string tension

e: and like natural hand position bs which makes sense to a degree but it's mostly for string tension

muike fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 3, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
most importantly it's a guarantee that no good music will ever be produced on that instrument

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dirt posted:

What is the point of a multi scale guitar?

I have a bunch of guitars ranging from 24" to 27.5" scale. What am I missing?

Intonation on a guitar is always a compromise; there's no way to have perfect intonation across the entire fretboard. Multiscale and Buzz Feiten systems and such are attempts at a better compromise. Whether you think they're 'better' is largely down to personal choice, like everything else with musical instruments.

The only guy I personally know to use multiscale is actually a monster tasteful player, but he sounds great on everything he plays so who knows. I've never heard him mention it so maybe he just liked the way the bass played.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I have no idea

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Buck Turgidson posted:

As a major Buckethead fan I wonder myself, I saw him last week and he still has the WORST sound I've ever had to endure during a live performance, the speakers were constantly peaking and your ears loving hurt. This is also the fourth or fifth time I've seen Buckethead; it's always been the same. Other than that, Buckethead can play any solo but he always resorts to his bread and butter lick that's super fast and impresses most of the audience but as a guitar player you know he's just phoning it in. It really sucks because his slower playing when he incorporates his phrasing is loving phenomenal. Sadly though, most of the show is just him jacking off on guitar and impressing idiots.

edit: His lack of a backing band is also god drat loving bullshit and so boring.

sigher fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 5, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

As a major Buckethead fan I wonder myself, I saw him last week and he still has the WORST sound I've ever had to endure during a live performance, the speakers were constantly peaking and your ears loving hurt. This is also the fourth or fifth time I've seen Buckethead; it's always been the same. Other than that, Buckethead can play any solo but he always resorts to his bread and butter lick that's super fast and impresses most of the audience but as a guitar player you know he's just phoning it in. It really sucks because his slower playing when he incorporates his phrasing is loving phenomenal. Sadly though, most of the show is just him jacking off on guitar and impressing idiots.

edit: His lack of a backing band is also god drat loving bullshit and so boring.

I've seen him like 8 times in various places across the country. Was loving awesome every time except for the one time I saw him on a "big tour". Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains in Detroit(Buckethead, Les Claypool, Bernie Worrell, Brain on drums). Was total garbage with awful sound. Literally all we could hear was drums and Claypool's bass. No vocals/keys/guitars. I think that's more on the venue that him.

Best one was just him and That1Guy as the Frankenstein Brothers at the Granada Theater in Dallas. The strangest hour and a half of music I have ever sat through. Pretty cool though. Also saw him in Austin at some garbage club with just him and a drum machine and it was cool as poo poo. He handed me a bag of fake blood :love:

It's definitely a venue thing.

edit:

iMonarch posted:

Holy poo poo I just watched this. Best thing I've seen all day

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 5, 2016

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

yeah he can go through the finger exercises from his lesson book really, really fast

So what exactly is the difference? I'm not a guitarist and I can't tell any difference between what this thread says is actual musical skill/talent and what is just ripping through scales and finger exercises. It all sounds like self-indulgent tweedly poo poo to me.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

praxis posted:

So what exactly is the difference? I'm not a guitarist and I can't tell any difference between what this thread says is actual musical skill/talent and what is just ripping through scales and finger exercises. It all sounds like self-indulgent tweedly poo poo to me.

If they're playing fast but in key with a variety of melodic and rhythmic themes and it doesn't go on for very long, there is a nonzero probability that something cool and good is happening, leaving you a judgment call

If they're just blasting through whatever notes are conveniently located in straight 32nds and/or have and employ a whammy bar for any purpose, they can be safely ignored

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheChaosPath posted:

If they're playing fast but in key with a variety of melodic and rhythmic themes and it doesn't go on for very long, there is a nonzero probability that something cool and good is happening, leaving you a judgment call

If they're just blasting through whatever notes are conveniently located in straight 32nds and/or have and employ a whammy bar for any purpose, they can be safely ignored

Duane Eddy and Kevin Shields beg to differ.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dirt posted:

Was total garbage with awful sound. Literally all we could hear was drums and Claypool's bass. No vocals/keys/guitars. I think that's more on the venue that him.

God drat do I hate this, I did sound at my college's university center for 5 years and it's lead me to be driven absolutely nuts by poor mixes. There's a place that a friend of mine's band plays semi-regularly, and the mixes are just so totally random, it's ridiculous. Due to the nature of the place, they don't really do sound checks before shows, but motherfucker you are sitting right there during the show adjust the board as they're playing can you seriously not hear how bad this sounds

because I can't hear the bassist or second vocalist either

idiots

:argh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we used to just turn every piece of equipment as high as it would go, but we were a highschool trash punk band so that was kinda the point. still sounded better than that buckethead video. it sounds like he just turned on the "crunch" effect on his practice amp and called it a day.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Buckethead is really cool. I've never seen him live, but when I was a teen I used to religiously collect bootlegs of his performances, and I've never heard one quite as bad as that. I'd say he's a better studio musician, but I can't say I've really enjoyed any of the last 200 albums he's made in the past few years though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

argondamn posted:

Buckethead is really cool. I've never seen him live, but when I was a teen I used to religiously collect bootlegs of his performances, and I've never heard one quite as bad as that. I'd say he's a better studio musician, but I can't say I've really enjoyed any of the last 200 albums he's made in the past few years though.

buckethead seems like someone people like the concept of, but hes a terrible execution of himself

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the one positive thing about buckethead is how much he hosed with big time music industry people both dealing with ozzy and later guns n roses

brain mantia's stories about him wearing down guns n roses' lawyers with crazy horseshit are hilarious, like communicating to everyone via a puppet mask

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

buckethead seems like someone people like the concept of, but hes a terrible execution of himself

i like his music. i lost interest in the late 00s when he started releasing a bunch of albums that all sounded pretty samey. that might have changed since, i don't know. i do think most of his fans are there for the music more than the persona really. although i bet he gets a lot of curious people at shows.

comes along bort posted:

the one positive thing about buckethead is how much he hosed with big time music industry people both dealing with ozzy and later guns n roses

brain mantia's stories about him wearing down guns n roses' lawyers with crazy horseshit are hilarious, like communicating to everyone via a puppet mask

Despite how much he hosed with GNR he's still the most prominently featured guitarist on CD despite the release being years later so that's saying something.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

comes along bort posted:

Didn't he also have a chicken coop built that he could sit inside while playing, and make Axl take him to Disneyland and go on rides with him? The guy is an awesome troll and a really talented guitarist even if he can't dial his own tone.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Buckethead owns.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

kjetting posted:

Didn't he also have a chicken coop built that he could sit inside while playing, and make Axl take him to Disneyland and go on rides with him? The guy is an awesome troll and a really talented guitarist even if he can't dial his own tone.

supposedly he signed his contract with gnr while on the haunted mansion ride with axl

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
According to Josh Freese he wasn't trolling with the Disneyland stuff. The dude its literally obsessed with Disneyland.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Yeah, you don't release 200 albums in three years unless you're seriously mentally ill

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Saw this in the banner add on this very forum:

https://reverb.com/item/2218594-devil-sons-skateboard-guitar-2016-black-red-and-white?_aid=criteo-ads

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Irradiation posted:

According to Josh Freese he wasn't trolling with the Disneyland stuff. The dude its literally obsessed with Disneyland.

Those stories are great

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

That is ugly as sin.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

unlawfulsoup posted:

That is ugly as sin.

everything devil and sons makes looks like rear end

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've never understood the whole "we're going to make this guitar look like it belongs to a modern-day hobo and we're doing this by making the body look all hosed up" thing. Wood and paint are probably the cheapest parts of the loving thing.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Allen Wren posted:

I've never understood the whole "we're going to make this guitar look like it belongs to a modern-day hobo and we're doing this by making the body look all hosed up" thing. Wood and paint are probably the cheapest parts of the loving thing.

Amazingly, you can't blame this one on the hipsters, since dumbass ratrod guitars have been a thing for years.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So now that everyone poo poo on Buckethead's lovely cellphone video tone, anyone want to point in me in the direction of how to get better at that stupid killswitch technique?

It looks really easy, but I put a killswitch onto my Ibanez and it's really goddamn hard to get to sound Buckethead-ish.

Is there like some left/right hand thing I can do to get better hand independence? Should I ask that in a drum thread or some poo poo?

ps here is an ugly guitar:

That guitars actually owns, and Antigua is the best finish

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 12, 2016

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dirt posted:

So now that everyone poo poo on Buckethead's lovely cellphone video tone, anyone want to point in me in the direction of how to get better at that stupid killswitch technique?

It looks really easy, but I put a killswitch onto my Ibanez and it's really goddamn hard to get to sound Buckethead-ish.

Seems like

1. Pantload of gain
2. Hammer on to poo poo
3. Every time you want it to sound like you "picked", press and release killswitch

I can't see that being very helpful, but past that it's just "practice more"

Dirt
May 26, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

Seems like

1. Pantload of gain
2. Hammer on to poo poo
3. Every time you want it to sound like you "picked", press and release killswitch

I can't see that being very helpful, but past that it's just "practice more"

So do you think I need more work on the left hand technique(hammer on/pull offs), or the right hand timing of hitting the switch? What's more important here?

It looks so easy, but I promise it isn't.

edit: like I learned to play that first song in the video(night of the slunk) years ago, and can play it without thinking normally, ie picked. Trying to do it with legato and a killswitch is super hard.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dirt posted:

Buckethead owns.

nah

• Locked thread