Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
My 980Ti plays 3440x1440 (1440p ultra wide) just fine on high-ultra settings at 100 fps. Your 1070 will be just fine doing 1440p.

Every game that supports 16:9 widescreen also supports 1440p since it's just 1080p up scaled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The only reason for not getting a 1440p monitor is "I don't like it when things look nice".

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Or just get a 2560 x 1080. You can save on a 1070 and get an amd card if you want.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I play at 2560x1080. It's wonderful.

And you can always use super resolution. The game renders at a higher resolution, and drivers scale it down to whatever your actual resolution is. Some games I can render at truly obscene resolutions, despite having a 1080 ultrawide

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Please tell me I'm a fool for considering getting a *sync screen at 1080p over 1440p, when I already have non-*sync 1440 screen...

The benchmarks where games are getting 100+ min fps at 1080 and dropping to barely 60 at 1440 are hella demoralising :negative:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I play at 2560x1080. It's wonderful.

And you can always use super resolution. The game renders at a higher resolution, and drivers scale it down to whatever your actual resolution is. Some games I can render at truly obscene resolutions, despite having a 1080 ultrawide

I kinda wish I just saved my money and bought a 2560 x 1080 LG 29UM67. The 1070 can drive my U3415w right now but that's alot of pixels to drive in the future. My desktop does look amazing though.

I highly recommend getting the LG 29UM67 if you want a good budget minded ultrawide. Freesync with a range of 30-75 will last well into future when Freesync becomes the standard. The price is really good at Newegg at $279.99.

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder
Ok, I'm convinced. Is there a way to get those high resolutions for under $800 that doesn't involve me having to analyze my new purchase looking for dead pixels or a variety of other tests to ensure that I don't have weird backlighting issues or color stains or smudges that seem to plague the reviews of every IPS/OLED panel I've looked at that is geared towards gamers? I'm not into that. I'm much more willing to buy up a cheaper 1080p IPS today while I wait for higher resolutions screens to become more mainstream.

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder

Green Gloves posted:

I kinda wish I just saved my money and bought a 2560 x 1080 LG 29UM67. The 1070 can drive my U3415w right now but that's alot of pixels to drive in the future. My desktop does look amazing though.

I highly recommend getting the LG 29UM67 if you want a good budget minded ultrawide. Freesync with a range of 30-75 will last well into future when Freesync becomes the standard. The price is really good at Newegg at $279.99.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into this model.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
27" 1440p master race! (until the x34p comes out!)

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Since this is sorta being discussed, I need some opinions. I currently have a Dell 23" 1080p IPS that I like just fine and a cheap Acer TN screen that I want to replace. I just built a new computer to kinda get back into gaming and PC things with an i5 6500 and RX 480 and I have been mostly playing Overwatch but could see myself playing DOOM, the new Battlefield, etc. I ordered a refurbished Dell U2715h (1440p, IPS, 60Hz) for ~$260 but realize I could get something like an Asus MG248Q 1080p TN with 144Hz and FreeSync instead. I think the Dell would be better for general usability with my PC and better match my existing IPS but I am worried about maintaining even 60Hz with the 480 at 1440p (running the Dell at 1080p also sounds less than ideal). I have no experience with *sync but people seem to think it makes a big difference, especially with a middle-of-the-road graphics card. Any thoughts?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

jfreder posted:

Since this is sorta being discussed, I need some opinions. I currently have a Dell 23" 1080p IPS that I like just fine and a cheap Acer TN screen that I want to replace. I just built a new computer to kinda get back into gaming and PC things with an i5 6500 and RX 480 and I have been mostly playing Overwatch but could see myself playing DOOM, the new Battlefield, etc. I ordered a refurbished Dell U2715h (1440p, IPS, 60Hz) for ~$260 but realize I could get something like an Asus MG248Q 1080p TN with 144Hz and FreeSync instead. I think the Dell would be better for general usability with my PC and better match my existing IPS but I am worried about maintaining even 60Hz with the 480 at 1440p (running the Dell at 1080p also sounds less than ideal). I have no experience with *sync but people seem to think it makes a big difference, especially with a middle-of-the-road graphics card. Any thoughts?

Giving up IPS is going to sting as well. I'd personally go with the 1440p IPS if you're going to be spending a good amount of time doing stuff other than gaming. It's a tradeoff if you're going to be using it as a console, with one being much smoother between lower res and *sync and the other just looking much better. I'd quite probably side on the 1440p IPS side anyway and just lower settings, but at least there it's close.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Etrips posted:

master race!

Don't quote that Reddit meme nonsense here!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jfreder posted:

Just for reference, in the new Vulkan patch, my RX 480 drives Doom at 70 to 90 FPS at 2560x1440 ( xf270hu -- IPS and has freesync; I've seen it listed for as low as $400 refurb but never been able to grab it fast enough). It may be a little outside your price range but the 480 is enough to drive 1440p at > 60 fps in games that use Vulkan/DX12.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 12, 2016

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Just got a new monitor. Samsung s24e370dL, 1920x1080 PLS 75hz freesync monitor. This is my first IPS type monitor and I'm wondering what the best way to calibrate it is. I have tried a few online options but haven't been able to get my monitor to look like how they say I should look.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Green Gloves posted:

This is exactly the monitor I have, though I thought it only hit 45Hz on freesync? I'm not sure, I ended up going nVidia again.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It seems like right now it's basically:

1. Good colors (IPS vs. TN)
2. Good refresh rate (60Hz vs. >60Hz)
3. Good resolution (1080 vs 1440)
4. Low price

Pick 3 of 4. The tough part is that there are big differences in 1, 2, and 3, so if you're used to the superior option, it's hard to go back.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

And even then, if you go for 1 and 2 and 3 all together, you get to play the panel lottery game!

(I played the lottery over the weekend and won a used PG279Q for $200 off the new price, and it's pretty fantastic!)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImmovableSquid posted:

I'm looking into getting a new monitor while I plan some upgrades around getting a 1070 of some kind. I'm tired of the issues my current setup produces (screen tears, held frames, dropped frames etc. Cruft from a three year old computer plugged into a 32" TV)

Obviously I use the computer for gaming, but I'm not looking for 1440 resolution/ultrawide because of the lack of support. So at 1080 with a 1070 how much will what monitor I choose matter? Would something like this work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0199W9UMS/

Or do I need something with freesync or g sync to get a pretty smooth/very smooth experience @ 60 fps and 1080 for most/all current games? (obviously there are other factors like processor, ram etc)

Doing the research is pretty overwhelming and I would love to just be able to jam some new components into my desktop and buy a new monitor and have it just work.

I haven't seen much issue with lack of support(???) for 1440p in games excluding console ports like DQ Heroes which I believe is set to 1080@60 because it's a port and there might be fan patches to change that but I haven't looked.

If you're going 1080P with a GTX 1070 you are going to want at least 120hz, probably 144hz, for whatever monitor you pick because while Witcher 3 at max settings might not push that limit, a lot of games will and you'll be glad when you have that ultra buttery smoothness. I'd still suggest just going 1440p though because lots of games will still have high framerate on a 1070 and you have so much more screen. :iia:

ImmovableSquid posted:

Ok, I'm convinced. Is there a way to get those high resolutions for under $800 that doesn't involve me having to analyze my new purchase looking for dead pixels or a variety of other tests to ensure that I don't have weird backlighting issues or color stains or smudges that seem to plague the reviews of every IPS/OLED panel I've looked at that is geared towards gamers? I'm not into that. I'm much more willing to buy up a cheaper 1080p IPS today while I wait for higher resolutions screens to become more mainstream.

You should analyze your new purchase for dead pixels regardless of the price. Why wouldn't you do a quick check to make sure the new (or fully refurbished) thing you ordered is in good/new condition like it should be?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ynglaur posted:

4. Low price

Pick 3 of 4. The tough part is that there are big differences in 1, 2, and 3, so if you're used to the superior option, it's hard to go back.

What if you care about build quality and an excellent warranty? I wish for a Dell freesync monitor myself.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

What if you care about build quality and an excellent warranty? I wish for a Dell freesync monitor myself.

Keep wishing because I don't think we're gonna see them in the next decade at this fuckin' rate.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

4. Low price

Crossover 2795 is four out of four?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rexxed posted:

Crossover 2795 is four out of four?

"Up to 70hz" isn't exactly much...

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
technically right is the best right

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mine's at 96hz, I haven't tried faster yet.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Literally every one does 96Hz, most do 110Hz, some do 120Hz.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was just going by this listing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY37G9139

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Amazon has 2 monitors on sale for Prime Day:

Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor

LG 29UM68-P 29-Inch 21:9 UltraWide IPS Monitor with FreeSync

Is there anything you can say to convince me not to buy that Samsung one for $499.00 $399.00 $299.00?

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

JFC posted:

Amazon has 2 monitors on sale for Prime Day:

Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor

Is there anything you can say to convince me not to buy that Samsung one for $499.00 $399.00 $299.00?

I have that Samsung and the vertical viewing angles are pretty bad, but overall I'm happy with it. The base is also kinda meh, but it works with a vesa mount.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

So what's the deal with B-grade monitors on Overclockers UK?
Some pretty decent deals but then I'm not sure if that means there's a major fault or whatever.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Apparently I won a coupon for ~240 USD (not actually USD and not exactly that amount, but it should be roughly equivalent by pricing) to spend on electronics and my current monitor is getting really old and it was pretty low quality to begin with. Whats a good monitor I can get for that much, if my primary use case is gaming and secondary is coding?

Also, are ultrawide monitors good idea or are 2 "standard" monitors prefered?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sout posted:

Some pretty decent deals but then I'm not sure if that means there's a major fault or whatever.

In the blurb at the top of the item page it says that they only have a 90 day warranty and could be used and returned, or slightly scuffed or similar.

e: "Below is the original description for this product, any reference to warranty is to be ignored. Warranty for this item is 90 days as with all B Grade items.

B Grade items may have been used, have damaged packaging, missing accessories or a combination of these.

Some items may have scuff marks or slight scratches but should otherwise be an operable product."

e2: some of the deals might be ok, but some are shite. The XF270HU is more expensive as B-Grade on OCUK than brand new on Ebuyer for example.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 12, 2016

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

sout posted:

I've got a B-Grade Acer XB271HU on the way from Overclockers, so I'll let you know!

It could mean anything from a simple open box return to a scratched, repaired, missing parts catastrophe.

It's a gamble, but pretty risk free since you can always return it. If you pay by PayPal, they have a deal where they'll cover return shipping too! https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Xarn posted:

Apparently I won a coupon for ~240 USD (not actually USD and not exactly that amount, but it should be roughly equivalent by pricing) to spend on electronics and my current monitor is getting really old and it was pretty low quality to begin with. Whats a good monitor I can get for that much, if my primary use case is gaming and secondary is coding?

I'm a big fan of ultrawides because they mean a whole lot of room for two columns of code and some other reference (this may be a bit less doable on a 1080 ultrawide). I'd recommend a 2560x1440 over a 1080 ulrawide but consider it better than two 1920x1080s.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I just pulled the trigger and got a 2560x1080 ultrawide this morning and I'm quite pleased with it so far. 29" is pretty damned big, and so far fiddling with the options and figuring out how to replace my old two monitor setup has yielded very nice results. I just got it, but I think I'm pretty safe in saying that I'll prefer the ultrawide to having two monitors.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ooooh, they have this 29", 2560x1080 for only $319 CAD. And it's IPS.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61635

Tempting, very tempting.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Ooooh, they have this 29", 2560x1080 for only $319 CAD. And it's IPS.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61635

Tempting, very tempting.

That's the one I got. If there's a Staples near you, you can price match it against this and get it for $305 CAD. It's quite nice, I wish it had Freesync, but it looks damned good.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xarn posted:

Ultrawides are the poo poo. A 1080 Ultrawide is literally two 1280x1024 monitors stuck together. You have tons of space to work with, and gaming is pretty crazy with the expanded FOV. It's also easier to drive an ultrawide than jumping up to the "next" resolution. A top-end 1440 ultrawide will be easier on your GPU than a 4k.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
What are the recommended 21:9 34/5 inch screens for gaming right now? Looking for one for sim racing as an alternative to triple screens. Even just a couple of models so I can start looking for reviews, thanks

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
To anyone else who has ordered a monitor from acerrecertified, do they come with DP cables? If so, how long is it and also how poo poo? Should I just order an accell cable without even bothering with the acer one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
drat too bad I missed the Amazon warehouse deal by a day. Thinking about trying my luck in the BLB lottery and ordering an ASUS PG279Q anyway even if I can't get it super cheap.