Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure Galaxy S5's and Nexus 5's got the update, and that's all that really matters.

That's the thing, the Moto X 2014 was a goddamn Google flagship. It's like they're trying to disavow it. I tried to get right, no root, locked bootloader, but apparently I never can be.

gently caress it; I'm getting an iPhone; at least they keep their poo poo up to date. Wake me up if ChromeOS with extensions ever shows up on phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

So I deserve to have my phone abandoned by Google Play entirely because some dipshit at Google forgot to add a phone from 2014 to their whitelist. Also if you're so adamant about this and want to stay philosophically consistent you should probably start up a campaign to criminalize sideloading, although I doubt even you want to see what's down that road.

Wait, by 'anything', you don't mean-

"anything" = phone malware. Apologies if you took it otherwise.

Tell me you at least compare the checksum to the play store version.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

"anything" = phone malware. Apologies if you took it otherwise.

Tell me you at least compare the checksum to the play store version.

Both manually and automatically (the Play Store version being there first). I know I'm a fool but I'd like to think I'm not an idiot.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

That's the thing, the Moto X 2014 was a goddamn Google flagship. It's like they're trying to disavow it. I tried to get right, no root, locked bootloader, but apparently I never can be.

gently caress it; I'm getting an iPhone; at least they keep their poo poo up to date. Wake me up if ChromeOS with extensions ever shows up on phones.

Moto X 2014 is not a Google device by any stretch of the imagination.

edit: It shipped with goddamn Kitkat, by the way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nimper posted:

Not sure how what it shipped with is relevant, the iPhone 5 launched in 2012 and hasn't been manufactured since 2013 and is capable of running the latest iOS.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

nimper posted:

Google still owned them while it was being developed and it doesn't much matter how it started life; if Android is supposed to mean anything, official/stock firmware needs to be treated like it's still part of the Android ecosystem until it's no longer feasible to support (and feasible is a Big Word given that it's Marshmallow now and there's still supported Jellybean devices in 2016).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

uPen posted:

Not sure how what it shipped with is relevant, the iPhone 5 launched in 2012 and hasn't been manufactured since 2013 and is capable of running the latest iOS.

My point there was it's actually been pretty well supported compared with other android phones from 2014. The carrier unlocked version has Android 6.0 available (albeit with no security updates since November).

Google still owned them while it was being developed and it doesn't much matter how it started life; if Android is supposed to mean anything, official/stock firmware needs to be treated like it's still part of the Android ecosystem until it's no longer feasible to support (and feasible is a Big Word given that it's Marshmallow now and there's still supported Jellybean devices in 2016).

Google doesn't own Motorola now and bitching about stock firmware is not going to help since the X 2014 doesn't run stock Android to begin with. Sure it's near-stock but there are still OEM modifications.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That's the thing, the Moto X 2014 was a goddamn Google flagship.

Odd, I thought the Nexus line was Google's flagship.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm not sure how I feel about this whole argument, but I do know that I don't think it really matters if Google owned them. That's kind of incidental and most people didn't ever even know that. I think nerdy people who did know this information were hoping it meant Nexus-like support, but I don't really think there was any real firm reasons to believe that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Look, if you don't get a Nexus branded headset, don't expect updates. It's that simple. That being said, I understand the pain of not getting updates on a promising phone. It blows. Buy a Nexus or an iPhone and enjoy your updates.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Maybe. I'd have to go look back and see if Nexus was still treated as a developer platform or whether Google had finally acknowledged them as The One True Google Phone Accept No Substitutes yet. Still, for a time they had their name on Motorola; of course people were hoping that Google adopting Motorola meant Google would actually take responsibility for their support. Clearly that was misguided, but were they actually bad/wrong/sickbrains for having thought that?

^ ^ ^ Believe me; I've learned that lesson and I've been telling anyone else sniffing around Android exactly that. Just seems like things are getting worse if anything.

nimper posted:

My point there was it's actually been pretty well supported compared with other android phones from 2014. The carrier unlocked version has Android 6.0 available (albeit with no security updates since November).

Google doesn't own Motorola now and bitching about stock firmware is not going to help since the X 2014 doesn't run stock Android to begin with. Sure it's near-stock but there are still OEM modifications.

This is all stuff you put out to support a point, not a point in and of itself.

By the way, what is your point?

It feels like trying to use an Android phone in the spirit in which carriers and OEMs and everyone else expects a consumer to do so is like being the only party in a bargain holding up their end. Really it's just part of a bigger problem: bad stuff still makes it to the Play Store and the ad circulation, and OEMs abuse the Android name, and Google catches all the flak for it and thanks to existing contracts, licenses and regulations probably can't get out from under it; I can't really blame them either because if I had to live with that as a legacy I'd probably stop putting in even 80% supporting it, let alone 110. It's just profoundly frustrating being on the receiving end.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Odd, I thought the Nexus line was Google's flagship.

Oh come on, you know Motorola Mobility was owned by Google at the time. Don't be a pedant.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

By the way, what is your point?

Maybe I don't have one, but I'm not the one expecting Google to update my not-stock-Android Motorola phone. I can certainly sympathize with you since I own the exact same device but I wrote off the possibility of updates a while ago.

Now, sure, this is a symptom of the overall problem with Android and Android phones, but you should at least know what to expect.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Still, for a time they had their name on Motorola; of course people were hoping that Google adopting Motorola meant Google would actually take responsibility for their support. Clearly that was misguided, but were they actually bad/wrong/sickbrains for having thought that?

To hope that Google owning Motorola mean Nexus-like levels of support is a pretty reasonable thing to hope.

To expect it is typical nerd stuff, but not actually a reasonable thing...at least in the context of typical Android updates. We actually should expect Nexus-like levels of support from everyone, but lol at that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Oh come on, you know Motorola Mobility was owned by Google at the time. Don't be a pedant.

It's not a pedantic point, it's a pretty accurate point. Motorola phones were never Google's flagship phones in any meaningful sense of the word.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Zorilla posted:

Buying a dead Nexus 5 with an intact screen and swapping the main boards might be even easier. The Nexus 5 and 5X are pretty easy to disassemble, especially since there isn't much adhesive to deal with. I'd probably go that route since the dropped phone probably acquired some scuffs when dropped.

Well, the replacement screen is also the surround, so a new screen is everything but the back (externally).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Weird, have had nothing but good battery life off my Nexus 6p, but something happened today to drive it crazy. The battery is draining faster than usb slow charge can charge it. The only thing I was running was Awful App, Chrome, and Gmail. Have rebooted it to hopefully fix whatever death cycle was going on there, anyone else run into something similar?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

OnePlus rolled out an update for the OP3 that fixed the RAM management, added sRGB mode for nerds, and improved GPS for Pokemon GO players. Security level is June 2016.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Scaramouche posted:

Weird, have had nothing but good battery life off my Nexus 6p, but something happened today to drive it crazy. The battery is draining faster than usb slow charge can charge it. The only thing I was running was Awful App, Chrome, and Gmail. Have rebooted it to hopefully fix whatever death cycle was going on there, anyone else run into something similar?

I bet you're getting nailed by that loving google backup bug.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=207700

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Blitter posted:

Well, the replacement screen is also the surround, so a new screen is everything but the back (externally).

Oh ok, I mistakenly assumed the part you linked was just the LCD, glass, and digitizer like it is with most phone parts. Without the frame, the repair would involve picking out millions of pieces of broken glass, praying you didn't miss any, and getting one shot to stick the new screen to the old frame and align everything perfectly. I see that most sellers in the U.S. on eBay aren't including the frame, but it still looks like a quite a few of them do for $30-40.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pokemon GO runs like poo poo on my Moto G 2014 :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

How do you get "ok google send text to blah blah blah" to send via your google voice number that you have tied in to hangouts?

I use my Google Voice number for everything, I don't use my carrier number at all. When I get an SMS it comes in via Hangouts. When I send an SMS I do it via Hangouts. All that works. The problem is sending texts via voice command.

I would have sworn I had this working on my old Moto X, but I can't seem to do anything to make it work. The text gets sent with my carrier number.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

namaste faggots posted:

I bet you're getting nailed by that loving google backup bug.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=207700

Huh, I don't seem to have any wakelock issues, but it did get me digging into the power usage profile, and something called system (mediaserver) has consumed 2h38m of cpu time since this morning, for 529mAh. The weird thing is, I never use it; my media volume is always off because I never use youtube, music players, etc. Looking around it seems a pretty common problem, but more linked to people who have cyanogen and other mods. I think the reboot kicked some cruft loose, because now slow charge is actually causing the battery to go up instead of steadily down.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

teagone posted:

Pokemon GO runs like poo poo on my Moto G 2014 :(

It runs like poo poo on all of the phones, they still haven't resolved their server issues.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It runs like poo poo on all of the phones, they still haven't resolved their server issues.

It's because every man child that has no business playing it is playing it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You mean in that situation where Google promised there'd be "a firewall between Motorola and Android development"?

They were explicitly clear from the outset that they were buying Motorola for the patents and had no interest in being an OEM and even though they'd acquired an OEM in this process they would not be doing anything to make that OEM special. They were also explicitly clear that they wouldn't be hosting images for the phones in the way they did Nexus devices.

Anyone who was aware of Google's ownership of Motorola had no reason to not understand the terms of it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

How do you get "ok google send text to blah blah blah" to send via your google voice number that you have tied in to hangouts?

I use my Google Voice number for everything, I don't use my carrier number at all. When I get an SMS it comes in via Hangouts. When I send an SMS I do it via Hangouts. All that works. The problem is sending texts via voice command.

I would have sworn I had this working on my old Moto X, but I can't seem to do anything to make it work. The text gets sent with my carrier number.

Unfortunately there has never been a way to do it. "Send a text" sends it through the messenger app, and "send a hangout" only works for people with hangouts. It's very annoying, especially when I forget and accidentally send someone a text from my number that nobody knows.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So uh, I woke up to my phone this morning looking like this:
dropped it last night and then used it for half an hour afterwards but I'm guessing the lcd is leaking and it's totally hosed? Too bad I'm not close to the 2 year window ending.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mastershakeman posted:

So uh, I woke up to my phone this morning looking like this:
dropped it last night and then used it for half an hour afterwards but I'm guessing the lcd is leaking and it's totally hosed? Too bad I'm not close to the 2 year window ending.

Looks broke.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FAUXTON posted:

Looks broke.

Think there's any chance it's a defect I can get a replacement for free, or just suck it up?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mastershakeman posted:

Think there's any chance it's a defect I can get a replacement for free, or just suck it up?

You dropped it, that's probably what they'll cite as "gently caress you, pay me" rationale.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

mastershakeman posted:

When the Turbo was first released they included one free screen repair. (That is a Turbo right?) If you bought it from Verizon it is worth checking at least.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Bandire posted:

When the Turbo was first released they included one free screen repair. (That is a Turbo right?) If you bought it from Verizon it is worth checking at least.

Yeah, it looks like one. Give it a shot at least.

I've heard they don't honor it if you have one that was only sold at Best Buy or something though. Like mine. :(

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Bandire posted:

^ This. I actually redeemed it and it was a pretty straightforward policy; I'm not sure why it existed, but Verizon will replace the screen on the Turbo if it breaks, even if it's accidental.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, it looks like one. Give it a shot at least.

I've heard they don't honor it if you have one that was only sold at Best Buy or something though. Like mine. :(

Yea mines from best buy as well. It's a weird thing to have happen, I've never heard of a lcd doing this

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Unfortunately there has never been a way to do it. "Send a text" sends it through the messenger app, and "send a hangout" only works for people with hangouts. It's very annoying, especially when I forget and accidentally send someone a text from my number that nobody knows.

Well poo poo I must be hallucinating, and yes it's very irritating for the reason you mentioned.

Of course, it's also typical google.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

mastershakeman posted:

Yea mines from best buy as well. It's a weird thing to have happen, I've never heard of a lcd doing this

Out of curiosity, did you get the blue ballistic nylon that was only available from Best Buy? Or did you get one that you theoretically could have gotten from a VZW store? I feel like the latter might have better odds.

Either way, it's at least worth a shot.

For what it's worth, that's the first time I've seen a phone's screen do that, but I can count the times I've dropped all of my phones combined on one hand.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The world governments need to unite and legislate for all smartphones to receive software and security updates for 10 years :pray:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The world governments need to unite and legislate for all smartphones to receive software and security updates for 10 years :pray:

Good god, that covers every model of Android and iPhone. There would only be one update every 10 years given all the snowflake poo poo that would entail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the term of support is much less important than the frequency.

It's worse long term if a phone receives updates for three years, but only updates once a year rather than receiving monthly (both security and version level) updates for two years.

The latter would do a lot to clean up the so called fragmentation and improve user experience. It also may help the former since an already updated device is easier to keep updated.