Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

witch hunters also do magic, at least they did in england. they're worthwhile as long as they succeed but they're still creepy outsiders

The French ones apparently didn't, just scammed people for money or something. The Swedish ones I've read about didn't either.

It is a very Early Modern thing for the crown to get pissed off by vagrants stealing their authority tho.

One of the more striking things about the witch hunts I've read about was the witch trials at Torsåker in Sweden. In a single day, the local authorities executed 71 people for witchcraft, 65 of which were women. They had to dig dikes in front of the blocks so that all the blood from the beheadings wouldn't make the pyres too wet. They executed something like half of the women in the parish, which probably made for the most awkward mass the following sunday, when the women's side of the church was practically empty. Oh, and the executions were completely illegal since the local court should have gotten confirmation from the royal court to carry the executions out, but didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

Not military history, but can't be arsed to dig up the Early Modern thread and dunno if it hasn't fallen into archives.

I was reading a book about witch hunts earlier today and there was an interesting bit about France. France had something of a reverse witch hunt going on during the 17th century, especially during the reign of Louis XIV. That is, the crown spent a lot of effort on tracking down witch hunters and sentencing them either to death or the galleys, probably because they were causing panic and undermining the crown's authority. France in general had a really low number of people executed for witchcraft, something like 300 people during a 100+ years period and no mass trials at all.

From what I recall, witch hunts was a mostly protestant thing, and France was majority catholic. I think there are even letters where a local bishop wrote to Rome about how they had caught a witch, please advise, and Rome answered with a resounding "Witchcraft isn't real you dumbass, let her go".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

From what I recall, witch hunts was a mostly protestant thing, and France was majority catholic. I think there are even letters where a local bishop wrote to Rome about how they had caught a witch, please advise, and Rome answered with a resounding "Witchcraft isn't real you dumbass, let her go".
bamberg and bavaria were huge into it though, although the latter's big and self assured enough that they're not gonna write to rome for anything

if anyone wants a well-written account of a witchcraft trial in bavaria, check out high road to the stake, it reads like a novel

although in the catholics' defense, the guy who wrote a book saying that witchcraft was real but torture produced false confessions was a Jesuit. that dude was cool

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
So witchcraft is true, all we need is 'torture light' methods to reveal it? Thanks!!! :haw:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Yes and no. Where it was active, the Inquisition tended to be rather sceptical about claims of witchcraft, especially in Spain and Italy which I am most familiar with, but at the same time, the original witch craze found some support from the Pope. Witch hunts did happen in France, but the authorities usually shut them down quickish. Worth noting that France wasn't really buddy buddy with Rome for most of the 16th-17th century either, so it wasn't the Catholic church in France, it was the crown.

Marko Nenonen who wrote the book I am reading points toward lack of central authority as a decisive factor in many cases: in Switzerland, the cantons did at times step in to put a lid on things, but noncentral Frenchspeaking regions still had crazy amounts of witch burning going on. Likewise, the Swedish witch craze in the late 17th century started out in the peripheral regions of Sweden and ended fairly quick after it reached the capital, at which point the Royal Commission On Sorcery shut the witch trials down. On the other hand, when you got a monarch who's crazy about holding witch trials like Christian IV of Denmark or James VI of Scotland, you get a lot of witch trials.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

bamberg and bavaria were huge into it though, although the latter's big and self assured enough that they're not gonna write to rome for anything

That's a thing that most people don't usually realize, the Pope and Rome don't mean that much after the Western Schism and even less after the Reformation got into gear. Venice managed to get themselves excommunicated sometime in the late 16th or early 17th century and just bribed the local priests to hold mass and do the priest stuff. Even good Catholics could tell the Pope to go eat poo poo and die whenever the Pope's view was in conflict with whatever local politics and there wasn't much the Papacy could do about that.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kemper Boyd posted:

One of the more striking things about the witch hunts I've read about was the witch trials at Torsåker in Sweden. In a single day, the local authorities executed 71 people for witchcraft, 65 of which were women. They had to dig dikes in front of the blocks so that all the blood from the beheadings wouldn't make the pyres too wet. They executed something like half of the women in the parish, which probably made for the most awkward mass the following sunday, when the women's side of the church was practically empty. Oh, and the executions were completely illegal since the local court should have gotten confirmation from the royal court to carry the executions out, but didn't.

Well this is loving horrible.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
did swedes behead people upright? germans did, it's supposedly technically demanding: the subject kneels and the executioner swings his sword in a long flat arc.

now in the Papal States the positions of subject and executioner are the same, except what he's swinging is a huge mallet. is it in spain and southern italy that they garotte?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

did swedes behead people upright? germans did, it's supposedly technically demanding: the subject kneels and the executioner swings his sword in a long flat arc.

They used blocks, and axes, at least for common people.

Edit: So in the Papal States, it was HAMMERTIME

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

They took the book "Hammer of Witches" quite literally

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

now in the Papal States the positions of subject and executioner are the same, except what he's swinging is a huge mallet. is it in spain and southern italy that they garotte?

The baseball swing execution was really hard to execute correctly and more experienced professionals were sometimes brought in to do it. It was smart too, because every now and then executioners who botched their jobs were lynched by the angry crowd.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

HEY GAL posted:

now in the Papal States the positions of subject and executioner are the same, except what he's swinging is a huge mallet.

:stare: So basically the subjects would get their heads smashed into a pulp? How the hell were people ok with that??

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

:stare: So basically the subjects would get their heads smashed into a pulp? How the hell were people ok with that??

they didn't have netflix, so what else would they have watced for fun?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

the sovereign has the power to administer justice, and justice must be severe. being afraid of authority is a good thing.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I think it's about that thing where the Church said it was really bad for the clergy and associates to spill blood, which got bypassed by using blunt weaponry to cause severe subcutaneous trauma? I think that's how one of William the Conqueror's brothers, who was a bishop, ended up being able to fight at Hastings by circumventing that law by using a mace instead of a sword.

Or maybe I read that in the Song of Roland? Or both?

It's quite pervasive, mind. Even in D&D clerics are banned from swords, but maces are A-OK.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, that waist level horizontal cut is really hard for me to do properly with a longsword. What kind of sword were German executioners swinging, anyway?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

I think it's about that thing where the Church said it was really bad for the clergy and associates to spill blood, which got bypassed by using blunt weaponry to cause severe subcutaneous trauma? I think that's how one of William the Conqueror's brothers, who was a bishop, ended up being able to fight at Hastings by circumventing that law by using a mace instead of a sword.

Or maybe I read that in the Song of Roland? Or both?

It's quite pervasive, mind. Even in D&D clerics are banned from swords, but maces are A-OK.
it's not all clerics, people live there. it's the biggest power in the middle bit of Italy

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Tevery Best posted:

I think it's about that thing where the Church said it was really bad for the clergy and associates to spill blood, which got bypassed by using blunt weaponry to cause severe subcutaneous trauma?

That's a long standing myth. There's zero indication that clergy who fought wielded different weapons from other contemporary soldiers and there's actually plenty of mentions of fighting pirests using things like swords, bows, etc. The myth doesn't even make that much sense anyways. Blood is going to spill when you're smashing someone in the head with a metal club.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, that waist level horizontal cut is really hard for me to do properly with a longsword. What kind of sword were German executioners swinging, anyway?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
terminus est; "this is the line of division"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grenrow posted:

That's a long standing myth. There's zero indication that clergy who fought wielded different weapons from other contemporary soldiers and there's actually plenty of mentions of fighting pirests using things like swords, bows, etc. The myth doesn't even make that much sense anyways. Blood is going to spill when you're smashing someone in the head with a metal club.

The first cleric was a vampire hunter in the first D&D campaign and Gary Gygax later made them use maces because a Bishop in the Bayeux tapestry used one.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Yesterday: Some extremely annoyed Welshmen fight their way into Mametz Wood, with the aid of the first reference I've seen to a Lewis gun being slung over one man's shoulder and fired from the hip while advancing. Lt-Col Fraser-Tytler spends his day shooting at Trones Wood, with his luck well and truly in. JRR Tolkien's battalion is out of the line again; the Germans launch yet another prepatory barrage at Verdun; the British War Committee grapples with Aristide Briand's badly-thought-out promises to Romania; Louis Barthas has somehow not learned yet that in the Army, one never volunteers for anything; and Maximilian Mugge is waiting in the wings, ready to pick up Barthas's complaining slack.

Today: Heave! One last try for Fort Souville and Fort Tavannes; then, like it or not, three points of pressure is going to force the Germans onto a defensive footing at Verdun. The BEF secures control of the gently smoking ruins of Contalmaison. Back at HQ, General Rawlinson now finds himself confronted with a large crisis; a large crisis requires a large solution, and his solution is almost on a level with two pencils and a pair of underpants; Haig responds with a master class in British understatement, which I have helpfully translated. BEF Intelligence has got something correct, sort of; a couple of Lt-Col Fraser-Tytler's subalterns offer a heroic rescue to a wounded Manchester Pal; E.S. Thompson is thrown out of hospital; and Maximilian Mugge is British enough to criticise the class system from the inside.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Long story short, It is 1861 and while the seeds of tension are slowly being sowed in two different continents in the mainland UK like usual nothing is happening, especially outside the officers mess at the edge of the Fulwood Depot belonging to the 32nd DCLI. So much so, some kids are playing a game whilst the nearby sentry on duty Private McCafferty stands on duty idly ignoring them.

Just to pick up on the earlier stuff about WW1-era battalion numbering: this story comes from before the Childers Reforms of 1880, which standardised the four-battalions-to-a-regiment system. Before then, there were a shitload more regiments; the oldest regiments had two battalions and the rest one; and each regiment had a number to indicate the order in which they were formed, or brought into the modern Army establishment. (There was, needless to say, an absolute shitload of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the loss of the old regimental numbers.)

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

HEY GAL posted:

terminus est; "this is the line of division"
drat good books there and exactly what came to my mind seeing that sword. To try and be on topic, Gene Wolfe's experiences in the US Army makes reading Citadel fascinating, as the warfare is at once pre-modern (defined battlefields but leaky "front lines", regimental blocks), and modern (intense artillery from beyond the horizon, et al).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kemper Boyd posted:

Royal Commission On Sorcery

I have a new dream job, or at least dream job title.

Commissioner on Sorcery strikes exactly the right balance between "professional bureaucrat" and :black101:.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The mongols had a thing about not shedding the blood of a holy man, but that mostly amounted to an excuse to find horrible methods of execution to get around the rule.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

The mongols had a thing about not shedding the blood of a holy man, but that mostly amounted to an excuse to find horrible methods of execution to get around the rule.

Didn't the Ottomans have this too about royalty?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Hogge Wild posted:

The first cleric was a vampire hunter in the first D&D campaign and Gary Gygax later made them use maces because a Bishop in the Bayeux tapestry used one.

He didn't though. He had a wooden club, which was really a symbol of office.

P-Mack posted:

Seems like whatever was available, to a point. Urs Graf shows a falchion being used in one example. Then there's this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Blaarg, combat death doesn't weird me out but this stuff does. It's not rational; getting an arrow on some godforsaken 12th century plain or bleeding out from grenade fragments on an island you've never heard of is probably a lot less pleasant, but there's something creepy about "kneel down and say some prayers, some guy will cut your head off or maybe bash you with a hammer" that makes my fuckin' skin crawl.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Makes sense to me. Combat death might be horrible but at least there's good odds that it's a "me or him" situation between you and some other poor shitlord who really doesn't want to be there. Executions are a very personal thing where someone wants you specifically dead and has engaged a professional to ensure it happens in as scary a way as possible. Heck, as pointed out above that very fear is probably the desired result of the concept of executions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arquinsiel posted:

Makes sense to me. Combat death might be horrible but at least there's good odds that it's a "me or him" situation between you and some other poor shitlord who really doesn't want to be there. Executions are a very personal thing where someone wants you specifically dead and has engaged a professional to ensure it happens in as scary a way as possible. Heck, as pointed out above that very fear is probably the desired result of the concept of executions.

Really?

I seem to recall accounts that executions were done generally to be as clean as possible, with potentially dire punishments for the executioner if they botched the job. Beheading was generally considered to be a more humane way of getting killed than many of the alternatives. Meanwhile the crowd was not there to be frightened, they were there to be entertained. (I suppose the horizontal cut is being used to show off the executioner's skill?)

From that depiction, I kinda wonder if there's some substantial artistic license being used to empathise the whole martyrdom thing.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 12, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Really?

I seem to recall accounts that executions were done generally to be as clean as possible, with potentially dire punishments for the executioner if they botched the job. Beheading was generally considered to be a more humane way of getting killed than many of the alternatives. Meanwhile the crowd was not there to be frightened, they were there to be entertained. (I suppose the horizontal cut is being used to show off the executioner's skill?)

From that depiction, I kinda wonder if there's some substantial artistic license being used to empathise the whole martyrdom thing.

I think that the horizontal cut was reserved for VIPs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was for royals and they did it for the last Abbasid Caliph by rolling him on a rug then beating the poo poo out of him and having horses trample over it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BTW were executioners in Europe a family profession? I know it was for the Sanson clan in France.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
there seems to be kind of a theme re: executioners' swords

V. big, v. heavy, and nobody obviously cares if it can thrust.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tevery Best posted:

So the Tour de Pologne starts in my town tomorrow, and the authorities put up a mural to make the town all nice and pretty for it!

Vital question: how were the Illuminati involved? :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fangz posted:

Really?

Well... yeah. For every story of beheading there's one of drawing and quartering. Or someone has a good idea and we know how those go in this thread...

Even the modern methods are pretty horrific really.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Disinterested posted:

V. big, v. heavy, and nobody obviously cares if it can thrust.

that inscription is fuckin' sick

If you don't speak German: "I spare no one"

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Strafvollzugsgeräte is also as German as it gets.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Strafvollzugsgeräte is also as German as it gets.

tr. Punishment followtrough device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Nebakenezzer posted:

Vital question: how were the Illuminati involved? :v:

The Eye of Providence has officially been the coat of arms of my town since 1936 (although the motif dates back to a 17th-century plague and it has been submitted in its current shape no later than mid-19th century; the town was founded in the 15th century, but we do not know what design was in use back then), in commemoration of its role during the Miracle on the Vistula. It is virtually unique within the area, most other towns nearby have Piast eagles or city walls in their coats of arms.

So the answer is "very much".

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 12, 2016

• Locked thread