Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just drench them in rain of toads and attack a year later when there's no guards due to all the disease lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmThatIs posted:

I can only dream of having this sort of commitment :pwn:

Holy poo poo, I remember being in that game and I remember I once took multiple blesses on blindfighters just because

I think this maybe was me. :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Libluini posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember being in that game and I remember I once took multiple blesses on blindfighters just because

I think this maybe was me. :v:

It was

I distinctly remember because I ridiculed the hell out of you in IRC about it.

Those blindfighters sure lasted forever though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

It was

I distinctly remember because I ridiculed the hell out of you in IRC about it.

Those blindfighters sure lasted forever though.

Too bad my bad scales tanked everything else so hard I had zero income the last dozen or so turns

In a way, this was a learning experience: Next time, I'm downsizing the bless down to a triple-bless (two major, one minor) instead of quintuple insanity and in turn hopefully I can get scales of a less murderous variety.

(Seriously, I was planning on moving on towards a death gem / wight mage based undead economy, but I kind of underestimated how fast your nation suicides if you set all your scales to -3.)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Libluini posted:

Too bad my bad scales tanked everything else so hard I had zero income the last dozen or so turns

In a way, this was a learning experience: Next time, I'm downsizing the bless down to a triple-bless (two major, one minor) instead of quintuple insanity and in turn hopefully I can get scales of a less murderous variety.

(Seriously, I was planning on moving on towards a death gem / wight mage based undead economy, but I kind of underestimated how fast your nation suicides if you set all your scales to -3.)

Yeahhhhh just did that as abysia and I stalled out on expansion which let the scales catch up to me, also BoT didn't help.

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Wait so you fed the eventual game winner?

That's.... not ideal.

Nope! I was hoping he would quickly become a big threat while I could be ignored and possibly sneak a throne victory. It seemed like my best shot when Atlantis started to push me back, and eventually turned into me just hoping everyone else would lose.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I was in disbelief and had my irl dominion lowered by the fact the latest DLC nation was another sacred pony man nation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

I was in disbelief and had my irl dominion lowered by the fact the latest DLC nation was another sacred pony man nation.

At least Ys is a bit balanced by the fact it's an underwater nation

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
which can effortlessly attack land with their amphibious super-sacreds

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

And them costing just shy of Zhayedan, massively higher than the cost of any of the other ponymans. In MA and its lesser overall income provinces. With a water(and its generally worse provinces) start.

That increased cost also makes it much harder to trash their scales as much for a multi-bless like other ponymans going for a major sacred bless strat.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nuclearmonkee inspired me to make my own low-effort video LP:

Dominions 4 Mo Money 2

I'm trying to not get overexcited with posting these, so there's always a 20+ turn buffer between my LP and harsh reality.

Lord Koth posted:

And them costing just shy of Zhayedan, massively higher than the cost of any of the other ponymans. In MA and its lesser overall income provinces. With a water(and its generally worse provinces) start.

That increased cost also makes it much harder to trash their scales as much for a multi-bless like other ponymans going for a major sacred bless strat.

No wonder, they're as strong as Zhayedans. Zhayedans can fly and have a strong second shape, Morgen Knights have glamour, magic weapons, high defense and higher magic res. Also a secondary attack which is really strong against low-tier chaff, since it causes so many casualties most chaff squads tend to flee pretty drat fast. They also have partially darkvision, so they are still somewhat effective in darkness.

Since being able to fly and gryphons as second shape are rather strong features, I consider both units roughly matched. Until BoT goes up, then all Zhayedans die

Something you forgot, too: Ys starts at a coast and thanks to amphibious troops and sacreds, can pretty much effortlessly wander onto land. There's nothing forcing you to stay underwater in bad province land.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Libluini posted:

Nuclearmonkee inspired me to make my own low-effort video LP:

Dominions 4 Mo Money 2

I'm trying to not get overexcited with posting these, so there's always a 20+ turn buffer between my LP and harsh reality.

I'm excited to see your side of the Yomi war and my god's suicide.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In my experience the ultra high cost sacreds are never as good as they look on paper due to their low numbers. It's the Tiger II problem. Yes, they're the best thing on the battlefield, but there just aren't enough of them.

Still great for clearing indies and stomping an unprepared player though, but I would be looking to convert to a army of regular troops asap.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So Im giving this another try. Plz help:

- am I right to think that the smaller maps are easier for someone who doenst knows the game?

- should I mess with army orders or its ok if I leave then at default for now?

- is there any way to know what my chances are in combat beforehand? My last game I invaded a province where there was like 3 troops and they slaughtered my whole army

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

I'm excited to see your side of the Yomi war and my god's suicide.

Yomi is a EA nation, did you mean Jomon? :confused:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

In my experience the ultra high cost sacreds are never as good as they look on paper due to their low numbers. It's the Tiger II problem. Yes, they're the best thing on the battlefield, but there just aren't enough of them.

Still great for clearing indies and stomping an unprepared player though, but I would be looking to convert to a army of regular troops asap.

Comparing sacreds to German tanks and thusly sacred picker to Hitler is probably the best summation of the situation that can be given.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Comparing sacreds to German tanks and thusly sacred picker to Hitler is probably the best summation of the situation that can be given.

The comparison doesn't work though, since expensive sacreds don't tend to randomly break down on the battle field. It's true though that you need a game plan beyond "Recruit sacreds, smash everything", because that rarely works.

Having a single, or at worst a dual bless works better with expensive sacreds. Tanking your scales for better blesses works worse and worse the more expensive your sacreds are, for obvious reasons.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

The comparison doesn't work though, since expensive sacreds don't tend to randomly break down on the battle field. It's true though that you need a game plan beyond "Recruit sacreds, smash everything", because that rarely works.

Having a single, or at worst a dual bless works better with expensive sacreds. Tanking your scales for better blesses works worse and worse the more expensive your sacreds are, for obvious reasons.
You've never led an army of Zhayhaden after 20 turns of burden of time. Randomly breaking down pretty much covers it.

(I think I actually meant Tiger I instead, is that the good one?)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Imagine having to fight Germany except you got bad connections when you started and only have enough resources to make 4 guns and 1 aeroplane per month to stop them.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Libluini posted:

Yomi is a EA nation, did you mean Jomon? :confused:

They're all Yomi to me. EA Yomi, MA, LA.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

They're all Yomi to me. EA Yomi, MA, LA.

I once referred to Yomi as "that EA Jomon", so I may have the same problem backwards. :v:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Elias_Maluco posted:

So Im giving this another try. Plz help:

- am I right to think that the smaller maps are easier for someone who doenst knows the game?

- should I mess with army orders or its ok if I leave then at default for now?

- is there any way to know what my chances are in combat beforehand? My last game I invaded a province where there was like 3 troops and they slaughtered my whole army

Yes, smaller is easier.

Yes, put commanders at the back and armies at the front. You don't need to do much more than that. I guess split larger squads into smaller ones, split ranged attackers and give them their own orders. No you don't really need to change commander orders until you start messing with magic.

No, basically you look at the scouting report and if there's poo poo you don't recognize you may want to look it up on mod inspector https://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/ but it's not really possible. Sometimes you'll see 120 hp size 6 and a big list of abilities and you'll be like gently caress, it's going to kill everyone but actually it has 9 def and 8 prot and a bunch of militia with spears can poke it to death in 4 rounds. Sometimes you'll see 20 hp size 3 and you'll think oh easy but actually it has Air 4 and mirror image and 24 defense and 10% regen and you can't touch it before it Shockwaves your entire army to death. In time you learn these things but as a newbie there's no way. The scouting report tries to give an estimate of power if it's listing things like "towers over the army" or the glows-with-power one (don't recall the exact phrasing) it might be more powerful but it's not very accurate.

Oh, you can attack with a scout or lone commander on retreat orders to take a peek.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

This is really something you end up picking up by experience. The big things are: look for enemies with lots of crossbows or other high damage ranged attacks, look for enemies with Berserk, and look for enemies with high Protection. These all indicate that normal troops might have a hard time with them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Imagine having to fight Germany except you got bad connections when you started and only have enough resources to make 4 guns and 1 aeroplane per month to stop them.
#prayforhungary

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
From the land of mad rambling:

:frogsiren: Dom 4 Multiplayer Mayhem Part 3 :frogsiren:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Dominions games 75% off at GamersGate

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wolfsbane posted:

GamersGate

Mods?????

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I suppose the coder is on summer holidays and he decided to sliiightly improve the usability

quote:

2016-07-12 21:09:02 +0200
Goto province for scout attacked messages
Goto province for more ritual messages

2016-07-12 19:55:40 +0200
ctrl+s to view saved orders (army setup screen)

2016-07-12 17:06:59 +0200
Message for fort construction completed

2016-07-12 16:55:47 +0200
Shift transfers 5 gems at a time
Keyboard shortcuts f/a/w/e/... to transfer gems to commander
Gem transfer box can be closed by Return as well

2016-07-12 16:45:38 +0200
Shift changes PD 5 steps at a time
+/- can also be used to change PD

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

2016-07-12 16:55:47 +0200
Shift transfers 5 gems at a time
Keyboard shortcuts f/a/w/e/... to transfer gems to commander
Gem transfer box can be closed by Return as well

:eyepop: yeahhhhhhh

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
loving finally. You won't believe how often I accidentally pressed +/- when dealing with PD just to remember that it doesn't actually work.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
is there a good template for creating a generic nation made of independent units? like, for a sort of age 4 thing where magic has just sort of died off, and has to be painstakingly redesocvered through use of independant mages? (thinking I'd use dom 4 editor for this, since it seems the easiest way to do this)

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 18, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

use the cataclysm mod and excise the "find cool random poo poo" if you don't want that part

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

thechosenone posted:

is there a good template for creating a generic nation made of independent units? like, for a sort of age 4 thing where magic has just sort of died off, and has to be painstakingly redesocvered through use of independant mages? (thinking I'd use dom 4 editor for this, since it seems the easiest way to do this)

You are basically describing the cataclysm mod. There is a new cataclysm mod game taking sign-ups on brainwrinkle if you are interested in joining it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

what advantage does a palisade give me? I'm still learning how to play this game and I encountered that building in my test game as pangea

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 18, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Man Whore posted:

what advantage does a palisade give me? I'm still learning how to play this game and I encountered that building in my test game as pangea

palisades/forts etc allow a few things:

1) Increases income in province
2) allows you to build national stuff

combine with lab and/or temple for mages

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The mages are the critical bit. Games are won mostly on the back of battlemagic and summons, which need gems, research, and casters. All of which you get from mages.

In general you'll need a fort to get the mages, so building (or conquering) them until you're buying as many mages a turn as you can afford is a fairly good heuristic.

I'll try to start building a fort by turn 4 or so, but you probably don't need to be that aggressive while learning the ropes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MF_James posted:

palisades/forts etc allow a few things:

1) Increases income in province
2) allows you to build national stuff

combine with lab and/or temple for mages

They also double? the resources of that province. That, together the ability of building your national units, means they are your primary production centers of your armies.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're also cheap. Cheap is good.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Turin Turambar posted:

They also double? the resources of that province. That, together the ability of building your national units, means they are your primary production centers of your armies.
In typical dominions fashion, it's much more complex than that. Forts take a fraction of the resources (depends on the admin value, which depends on the fort type, which depends on nation and terrain) from each surrounding non-water province you control. That means if you need to mass produce high-resource units (you probably don't) a citadel surrounded by hilly provinces is the best choice. It's also why some people (who don't understand that forts are for mages) tell you not to put two forts next to each other.

In addition forts increase the income of the province they're in, and supply in adjacent provinces, but that's rarely a good enough reason to build one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

also forts etc are good to drop in choke points if there are any. Also, forts have to be sieged before an enemy can fully take control of the province, if they attack the province they will fight your PD, if they win, they will then start sieging the fort. I forget the calc for fort sieges, but it's something about siegers str vs defenders str

• Locked thread