Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That said, I'd probably still pay attention to something awful's traditional games' golden dookie awards since short lists of things people think are cool are usually the only way to learn about new games that aren't completely crafted from a rat's anus im this hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The point of awards is not to recognize and encourage excellence, it's to promote the field being awarded and boost sales of things that receive awards. The Academy Awards exist as a giant billion-dollar marketing exercise for the film industry and as something to provide a measurable revenue boost to awarded films. The purpose of the Ennie Awards is to allow some products to slap a "WINNER 2014 Ennie Award" logo on their cover so that browsing customers will be more likely to notice it and pick it up.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The Diana Jones award isn't bad, in the sense that it's interesting to see what the industry insiders like.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Haystack posted:

The Diana Jones award isn't bad, in the sense that it's interesting to see what the industry insiders like.

I keep forgetting about that one. The tastes of the judges align more closely with my own, at least.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Also it has the best origin story

quote:

What is the Diana Jones Award trophy?

The Diana Jones trophy was originally created by the UK office of TSR Hobbies in the mid-1980s, to commemorate the expiration of that company’s licence to publish the Indiana Jones Role-Playing Game and the subsequent destruction of all unsold copies of the game. It was liberated from TSR Hobbies by forces unnamed and subsequently came into the custody of a member of the Diana Jones committee.

The trophy is a four-sided pyramid made of Perspex, standing ten centimetres high and mounted on a wooden base. Sealed within the Perspex are the burnt remains of the last copy of the Indiana Jones RPG, including two still-recognizable cardboard ‘Nazi™’ figures, as recorded in gaming folklore.

The Diana Jones committee believes that a trophy that embodies the destruction of the last copy of one of the games industry’s most unloved and least-mourned products is a suitable symbol for the aims of the Diana Jones Award.

Who is Diana Jones?

Nobody. The only visible part of the Indiana Jones logo within the trophy has been burnt away so that it reads Diana Jones, and the award takes its name from that.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 11, 2016

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

quote is not edit

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FMguru posted:

The point of awards is not to recognize and encourage excellence, it's to promote the field being awarded and boost sales of things that receive awards. The Academy Awards exist as a giant billion-dollar marketing exercise for the film industry and as something to provide a measurable revenue boost to awarded films. The purpose of the Ennie Awards is to allow some products to slap a "WINNER 2014 Ennie Award" logo on their cover so that browsing customers will be more likely to notice it and pick it up.

The problem is that the industry is so small that either the consumer won't have heard of the ENnies, or the company that won can't afford a new print run with the logo on it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Ennies don't mean a thing so there is just one thing left to do. Nominate Chuck Tingle.

Pounded in the Butt by a d20

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pounded in the Butt by a d20

Pounded In The Butt By Narrative Control: Turned Gay By The Growing Trend Of Storygames In RPGs

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Pounded In The Butt By Narrative Control: Turned Gay By The Growing Trend Of Storygames In RPGs

Currently Smoking: The Ganja

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kwyndig posted:

The problem is that the industry is so small that either the consumer won't have heard of the ENnies, or the company that won can't afford a new print run with the logo on it.
Some companies seem to think that a gold Ennie logo on their cover makes their Pathfinder shovelware stick out from all the other Pathfinder shovelware :shrug:

It ia funny when things like the latest edition of the D&D Players Handbook win Ennie's. Yeah, WotC will be slapping that logo on there toot sweet, you bet.

Some more focused RPG awards would probably work. Diana Jones is a good one,I could see a storygame award making sense and bringing attention to games that might otherwise languish in obscurity (same for an OSR-focused award)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Ennies don't mean a thing so there is just one thing left to do. Nominate Chuck Tingle.

Not gonna lie, it makes me sad that we've had the "vote for me to spite the SJWs" part of Sad Puppies but not the Tingle parts. You're missing the good bit!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ettin posted:

Not gonna lie, it makes me sad that we've had the "vote for me to spite the skeletons" part of Sad Puppies but not the Tingle parts. You're missing the good bit!

When I told you to get in contact with him for the rights to make a game of his work, I wasn't joking

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mors Rattus posted:

When I told you to get in contact with him for the rights to make a game of his work, I wasn't joking

Buckaroo

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Wouldn't that just be a random chart of zany elements and the male orifices they might be inserted into?

Then you could just translate the result into the d20 system, naturally, and play that out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You've also got frozen wife ghosts and black magic neighbors, as well as the horrors of the Void to write splats for.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wouldn't that just be a random chart of zany elements and the male orifices they might be inserted into?

Then you could just translate the result into the d20 system, naturally, and play that out.

I am 90% certain that if you got the license you could convince Tingle to write the fiction vignettes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bieeardo posted:

You've also got frozen wife ghosts and black magic neighbors, as well as the horrors of the Void to write splats for.

can't wait for the devilmen villains splat

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Haystack posted:

Also it has the best origin story

Huh, I thought it was just associated with Diana Wynne Jones. That's really cool!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Speak of the devil...

quote:

ANNOUNCING THE 2016 DIANA JONES AWARD SHORTLIST

From another long and eclectic collection of nominees, the secretive committee of the Diana Jones Award has distilled a shortlist of five contenders that it believes best exemplified ‘excellence’ in the field of gaming in 2015. The Diana Jones committee is proud to announce that the shortlist for its 2016 award for Excellence in Gaming is:

ConTessa, an organization
http://www.contessa.rocks/about-contessa/

ConTessa is fresh, passionate organization dedicated to getting more women to play, discuss, and create tabletop roleplaying games. They started out as a blog dedicated to this purpose and quickly developed a series of free online seminars, hangouts, and events to bring women into the RPG fold. Last year they moved into face-to-face encounters by launching a track of their own inside Gen Gen, the largest tabletop gaming convention in the world, innovatively creating a con inside a con.

Eric M. Lang, a game designer
http://www.ericmlang.com

Eric M. Lang is the prolific designer of a staggering collection of board and card games whose volume is exceeded by their quality and acclaim. His deep love of games, gaming, and gamers inspires his co-designers and publishing partners with such grace and good nature that it’s impossible to feel the worse for failing to live up to his example. A very small sample of his achievements include Blood Rage, Dice Masters (with Mike Elliott), Chaos in the Old World (a 2010 Diana Jones nominee), and Living Card Game designs for properties including A Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and Warhammer 40,000.

Fall of Magic, a story-game by Ross Cowman, published by Heart of the Deernicorn
http://heartofthedeernicorn.com

Fall of Magic is Ross Cowman’s elegiac fantasy game about loss, travel and discovery, all played out in a slowly unfurling landscape full of genuine wonder and weird surprises. The game marries a peaceful, carefully paced aesthetic with tack-sharp design elements that are smarter than they look. It’s hard to get more fantastic or magical than an actual scroll. As a hand-crafted object, Fall of Magic’s cloth-map-as-setting powerfully evokes its themes, and sets a lovely bar for production – small press or otherwise.

Larpwriter Summer School, a course organized by Fantasiförbundet (Norway) and Post (Belarus)
http://larpschool.blogspot.co.uk/p/about.html

Larpwriter Summer School is a week long intensive course on larp design. Organized annually since 2012 in Lithuania, the curriculum is packed with lectures on design and theory, design exercises, educational games, and playing larps. The summer school is attended each year by around fifty students from around the world who have very little or no experience in larp design, with a crew of twenty people teaching and running the practicalities. The summer school has taught a new generation of designers, developed design theory and tools, and built an international network of alumni – who are all invited back each year. The alumni have gone on to create not only larps, but numerous larp festivals to showcase their works.

Pandemic Legacy, a board-game by Rob Daviau and Matt Leacock, published by Z-Man Games
http://www.zmangames.com/pandemic-legacy-universe.html

The Diana Jones Award shortlisted the first Legacy game, Risk Legacy, in 2012, but Pandemic Legacy is such a leap forward from that forerunner that it more than deserves its place on this list. The game brings in elements and influences from other genres inside and outside traditional board-gaming to create an experience where the whole is greater than the sum of its amazing parts. A Pandemic Legacy campaign is an experience unlike anything else in gaming, and the waves it has created are felt across this and many other areas of interactive entertainment

James Wallis
Jun 4, 2009
The Diana Jones Award is like Bloody Mary:

1. Speak its name three times and Google Alerts pings us and reminds us we should post the shortlist;
2. It'll help you feel a lot more clear-headed after a night at the ENnies.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks to the post here, I just bought that Fall of Magic scroll game because it looked interesting and fun. Here's to hoping it is!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Crossposting from the 13th Age thread:

Almost-exactly-three-years late KS The Reliquary just sent out the completed PDF to backers. It seems to have ballooned a bit from the original "here's 60 magic items" to a 400-page tome with "298 new magic items, 40 item sets, 38 new feats, 26 adventures, 20 NPCs, 10 new spells, 5 new races, 5 random tables, 1 new cleric domain, 1 new wizard talent, and hundreds of plot hooks".

With no index, table of contents, or page numbers.

quote:

You won’t find an index in this book. Nor page numbers. Nor a glossary. The book is laid out in no particular order, but instead is arranged in a peculiar order. This book is intended to be leafed through, to be searched, to be delved into… in short a sort of page-based dungeon of ideas. I give you no map, but only hints. Similar ideas are grouped together. NPCs that have a relationship to each other are found together. Marginalia gives a new twist to the main text, but it doesn’t always directly relate to the page that it is on, and it often links to something else nearby.

It's 2016, how are people not getting that RPG books are reference materials. What good is a rulebook I can't look something up in?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Jesus, that's just the elfgames version of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"It's like, a book of stuff to use in your game. Except we don't actually want you to use it in your game. Just like, think about using it in your game."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Almost-exactly-three-years late KS The Reliquary just sent out the completed PDF to backers. It seems to have ballooned a bit from the original "here's 60 magic items" to a 400-page tome with "298 new magic items, 40 item sets, 38 new feats, 26 adventures, 20 NPCs, 10 new spells, 5 new races, 5 random tables, 1 new cleric domain, 1 new wizard talent, and hundreds of plot hooks".

With no index, table of contents, or page numbers.
"Guys, indexes are super hard, we can't figure out how to put in page numbers, and we're like 3 years late, so please just let me dress this up for you with pretty language and move on?"

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
That's completely unusable. I always include page references next to my spells/items/feats so I can go look them up since I usually end up summarizing on my sheet to save space.

What the gently caress happened to that game?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I wonder how long it will take for the less savory parts of the community to disassemble the PDF version and then reassemble it in a coherent order. It's not something any of us should condone, because the creators of this still deserve some sort of take as artists/designers, but this sort of nonsense is exactly the point of that one image macro on digital piracy. If you make your product unnecessarily obnoxious to use, you're unwittingly encouraging folks to pirate your work considering that the pirates will rip all that stupid poo poo out before redistributing it.

And no, it's not the elfgames version of the Bathroom Reader series. At least those actually have indices, tables of contents, and supplementary categorizations should you be looking for a particular type of article.

Edit: Rehosted the image myself.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

That's completely unusable. I always include page references next to my spells/items/feats so I can go look them up since I usually end up summarizing on my sheet to save space.

What the gently caress happened to that game?
No idea. There's been very little communication over the years (I keep completely forgetting about it), so I was rather surprised to get the PDF in the first place.

I mean, this is for 13th Age, an RPG that has one of the best indexes ever written because it's comprehensive and has a glossary built into it so index entries include the quick summary of what you're looking up. And this project was written by one of the 13th Age guys!

I just don't get it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's a PDF... so it has page numbers. It's just that the pages themselves don't have numbers on them.

It's still dumb as poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Creator RKDN Studios 3 minutes ago
(Chris) The one Ash sent me right before this has a index/toc so I am sure it is just a slip up and we will get it in there! Thanks for the catch guys!
Not sure if that's a backfill or not, but I'd imagine not since I don't think a ToC or index is something you can just slap together into a finished PDF. Then again, I'm not a publisher so I really don't know.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not sure if that's a backfill or not, but I'd imagine not since I don't think a ToC or index is something you can just slap together into a finished PDF. Then again, I'm not a publisher so I really don't know.

Wait, but didn't you say before it was literally bragging about not having one?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that occurred to me after I posted. Like, that text I quoted above is was taken from the introductions.

I guess they are backfilling then. Which is still dumb in a "then why'd you leave it out in the first place" way, but at least they're trying to fix it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've seen plenty of badly organized elfgames before but kudos to whoever the hell these guys are for putting a fresh new spin on things by claiming that lack of organization is, in fact, a feature and not a bug, good job everyone.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My local store runs a business blog, and they are also a PokeGym in the Pokemon Go! app.

The dude is already seeing increased traffic from Pokemon Go players, and he's optimistic that it will add to their already healthy Pokemon category sales.

I wonder if other stores are seeing the same.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Been hearing about restaurants putting up lures and getting increased business + tips.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

SilverMike posted:

Been hearing about restaurants putting up lures and getting increased business + tips.

There's a coffee shop near me that is keeping a lure up whenever they're open. From a business perspective, the things are cheap enough that it only takes a couple extra sales to make it worth while.

Doing some quick calculations, if you're open 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, it's $120/wk to have a lure up all the time. If your average sale nets you $4.50, you'll make profit starting on your fourth extra sale each day. It wouldn't take much analysis to improve that further by looking at peaks and lulls.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

If there are no hyperlinks then it wouldn't be too hard in a normal book. But it says it's arranged in no particular order, so what the gently caress TOC could it really have? "1. Introduction; 2-400. The Rest"? This sounds amazingly dumb and that is some astoundingly unsubtle backpedaling going on there.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I can somewhat understand the other things, but how in the hell can you not have page numbers? You can have some random intern do it in an hour or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Aaod posted:

I can somewhat understand the other things, but how in the hell can you not have page numbers? You can have some random intern do it in an hour or two.

What the hell kind of indie RPG author has interns?

• Locked thread