Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
As someone who hates puzzles It's somewhat reassuring that if there were ever some kind of Da Vinci code secret that the fate of the world depended on, Urban Smurf would be right in there handling poo poo.

How many millimeters off square is this cube in the mirrors reflection of a painting? gently caress If I know how that relates to the summer solstice but Urban Smurf is already in the ancient catacombs with a key made from Leonardo Da Vinci's Femur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Image 7: New Orleans

Saint Louis was born on April 25th, 1214, and so if we agree that the third hand off the clock center is a seconds hand, then 12:00:14 is our confirmer for Saint Louis.

His mother was Blanche of Castile

Given the strong resemblence of the boy/jockey's hand to a mitten, it's possible his posture is meant to nudge along this connection to Mr. Bingles of the Maison Blanche department store, thus giving us a name connection to King Louis IX, since Blanche was regent during his kinghood.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 29, 2017

ice cream snakes
Dec 8, 2008

Sorry this post doesn't have any JFK 2nd gunman level theories but I thought the mask in image 7 was a good match for the St. Louis Arch.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
It would make a lot of sense for New Orleans if the "fay's delight" namesake referred to Lafayette somehow.

Also, that area is super sketchy so I wouldn't go there at night. An acquaintance got mugged there a few months ago, even though it's across the street from a police station.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 7, New Orleans

ice cream snakes posted:

Sorry this post doesn't have any JFK 2nd gunman level theories but I thought the mask in image 7 was a good match for the St. Louis Arch.

Most of the images have numbers hidden in them which correspond with the latitude and longitude of a (port) city.

Cleveland and Chicago have latitude and longitude that correspond with the numbers in Images 4 and 5 - The only casks unearthed to date.

Image 7 features numbers that correspond with New Orleans, in addition to the other matches like the McDonough monument. Please forgive the angle. I realize this is a direct affront to the rock solid "Mr. Bingles Theory", but if any NO Goons who made the "I can take a look around and take pictures" promise want to try to get a better angle of this monument in order to demonstrate the match a little better, feel free:

Solid evidence of the latitude and longitude theme exist in a majority of the images, and no, there is no treasure in St. Louis Missouri.

LOTE posted:

It would make a lot of sense for New Orleans if the "fay's delight" namesake referred to Lafayette somehow.

Indeed it would.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 2, 2016

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I wouldnt call Mr. Bingles "rock solid". If anything, the potential is there, but the content is clearly in disguise, wouldn't you agree?

I've often thought of the McDonough as it might be the single best connection to what makes this puzzle bend towards Lafayette. I especially like the way the two halfs of each side of the painting put together in reverse look like the outline of a chess queen/king. Apart from that, I've found little to go on in a way which feels like things are making sense. We dont want no "rickety theories", right? ...but thats all we ever seem to get, and then a bunch of crying and whining ensues.

Point blank, whether its the McDonough kid or some Bingles-slam-dunkin, I think the essence of that figure points us towards 9 o'clock. That might be all we need to understand from this puzzle.

As for secondary points: (1) he's dressed like a horse jockey, (2) his raised arm has a hosed up looking hand, (3) any other suggestions?

I think the jockey outfit would best associate with a horse or rider motif. That works with the shape of that silouette in the checker square. I've thought it might also connect with riding a float in a parade.

For the Bingles theory, I use to have a large interest in the Mystik Krewe of Comus and their parade route as it historically ended its Midnight run at the area in front of the Maison Blanche where Bingles is found. Thats some deep theory that ulttimately doesnt connect very strongly to what we're seeing in the painting or verse.

I think the strongest connections to draw must link to something Louis (Armstrong/Preservation) related, like the way the face of Louis is intersecting with the numbers of the clock. He is literally "in that number", perhaps homage to "when the saints go marching".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's nothing to find and you're all wasting your time. Just eat trash and be free.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Btw, that St. Louis Arch idea is a good example of the general shape fallacy and it just doesnt connect with any real explanation for the rest of the picture. We know the face on the mask is Louis Armstrong. We know the lat/long 29/90 make NOLA the ideal fit.

We're told Preiss said johann was correct about St. Louis, but not the location. Our tendency to assume the coty of St. Louis is correct blatently disregards his statement. It is no better to conclude the city of St. Louis than it is to look at a landmark on St. Louis street in New Orleans. Both are "locations" and both have a "St. Louis" component.

Sexman, you make it tough to argue. Free your mind from your indulgings.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Image 3 Verse 11: North Carolina

Starting at the Wright Bros Wing Memorial and heading south on hwy 12, there is a road to Roanoke, but just 30 min further there is this historic Life Saving Station building in which a perfectly square cart with two large circular wagon wheels is brought out for training drills in July and August for rescue reenactments on a Wreck Pole, a mock shipmast.

The mast of a ship is definitely the last thing touched and first seen standing.

Standing at the Wreck Pole you can see the congruence between the archway of the station, the two points off the roof that angle like the horns on the helmet and a water tower just to the left which proportionally matches the mace on the arm.

The workers of a life saving station like this in Kill Devil Hills were instrumental in the First Flight of the Wright Bros.

This is the Chicamacomico Life Saving Station in Rodanthe and the hoke of the most famous maritime rescue family known by the last name Midgett.

The name Midgett is an excellent fit for the subject of "man from oz", since the Munchkins of Oz are portrayed by midgets.

I believe the casque was buried beneath the end of the north side arm of the Wreck Pole. Unfortunately I am told that the current pole is not the same as the one present nearby in 1982 and which was badly damaged in a hurricane storm.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
The adventure of a lifetime

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Explosive Tampons posted:

This thread is the adventure of an utterly futile wasted lifetime

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

8 track betamax posted:

Ok guys I am doing it....I'm doing it. Digging in the park, treasure location. Digging tonight. Pictures to come! :eyepop: :siren: Let's do this! #thisishappening #dig

finally, someone with courage and honor

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Image 3 Verse 11: North Carolina's Outer Banks (Roanoke)

Pass two friends of octave
In December
Ride the man of oz

Do most people agree that the first line relates to the Wright Brothers, two friends of Octave Chanute? Do most people agree that L. Frank Baum wrote The Wizard of Oz? We should be asking how these two things together relate.

In December of 1977, the Dispatch news article reported on the efforts to preserve a Life Saving Station:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1734&dat=19771222&id=YXoqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mFEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3186,4792780&hl=en

It would seem evident that book Abroad in America would be a resource to Byron Priess in his work to create this treasure hunt and it's tremendous that anyone would've discovered that without the help of a keyword search on the internet. In contrast, it's far more palatable to consider someone looking at Image 3 would recognize the shape of Roanoke and correctly guess Verse 11's tidbits about octave and oz would relate to the Wright Brothers and Baum. This same someone would be expected to have enough familiarity with the NC area that it's not terribly unlikely that they might've chanced across the December 22nd news article in their local newspaper.

I'm biased at this point, but I wonder how likely it would be for someone like Priess to think of the Wizard of Oz and it's Munchkins if he had possibly and read the names "Baum" and "Midgett" in the same article.

Despite all arguments that 30 minutes of travel from Roanoke is proof that my theory is crap, I think it's worth noting that the Life Saving Station workers were irrefutably part of the Wright Brother's famed history. http://wrightstories.com/lifesavers-serve-as-wright-brothers-flight-support-crew/

Many of the Life Saving Stations are no longer existant, but the one at Chicamacomico (Rodanthe, 30 minutes south of Roanoke) has a special history pertaining to the Midgett family AND it has a cool gothic styled building AND it has a water tower nearby that fits the shape of the mace on the image and a tall replica mast of a sinking ship to practice drills in July and August (this is really only for tourism purposes).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What in the gently caress?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
there is no loving treasure for gods sake

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
If that one dudes theory about the Houston trees being four alike and the source of the casket.. It's still there. That part doesn't look like it's ever been remodeled

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Putty posted:

there is no loving treasure for gods sake

The treasures exist. They might have been cemented over or destroyed in construction by this point though, and the gem it leads to has already been taken.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
So what's been going on in this thread in the 3 years since I last checked in? Have any new casks been discovered? Any good theories advanced? I'm not reading 100 pages.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cosmik Debris posted:

So what's been going on in this thread in the 3 years since I last checked in? Have any new casks been discovered? Any good theories advanced? I'm not reading 100 pages.
i believed someone and they wussed out

never again

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Drunk Nerds posted:

If that one dudes theory about the Houston trees being four alike and the source of the casket.. It's still there. That part doesn't look like it's ever been remodeled

I was on site three weeks ago and you're right. That section of the park hasn't ever been retouched. Doubt the cask is there, but whatever.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

I was on site three weeks ago and you're right. That section of the park hasn't ever been retouched. Doubt the cask is there, but whatever.

How's your wrist?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Viruswithshoes posted:

How's your wrist?
soon to be broken obviously

ship that drunk guy out there, he'll hit a water main and be a hero to all goonkind

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I'm sorry I have to ask this, but is it some kind of running in-joke that nobody is just going places with shovels and putting them in the ground? All this talk of permits and earth temperature and quality - is that just some meta-joke that developed in this thread?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
im checking back in this thread and somehow no one has pm'd me a spot to dig up.

I mean check this poo poo out:

I mean, sure, it's 2:30 fuckin in the AM and it's impossible to see what the hell is happening in that photo but i assure you there's enough shovels there to make Windows 98 cream his panties.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There's nothing to find and you're all wasting your time. Just eat trash and be free.

This post makes more sense than probably any other post in this thread.

Perhaps we should decipher it.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Nobody has followed up with me on this treasure spot. Could be people disagree or they dont have any idea of the return for their time and trouble to dig and repair a small patch of grass.

Here are two angles on the spot, both follow basic lines. There is the parallel of the 1st stair step meeting the retaining wall geometry. Visually it doesnt look convincing as a solve to the puzzle, but it satisfies more of the poem and visuals than anything anyone has put forth.

One of the most simple twists on this turquoise jewel of France themed painting is that this Central American statue is named "Francisco". Its plaque says he was installed on Oct 21st 1966 (In the middle of twenty one) and if we take the height of the four stairs reference, then we easily can conclude the number of stair steps that would be needed for the statue to "walk down to the ground" (fifteen rows down to the ground).

I recommend someone dig this spot to about 20-24 inches and find the plastic encased clay pot. Post pics here and see about reclaiming a jewel prize or consider keeping or selling the clay pot which some would consider collectable.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

Nobody has followed up with me on this treasure spot. Could be people disagree or they dont have any idea of the return for their time and trouble to dig and repair a small patch of grass.

Here are two angles on the spot, both follow basic lines. There is the parallel of the 1st stair step meeting the retaining wall geometry. Visually it doesnt look convincing as a solve to the puzzle, but it satisfies more of the poem and visuals than anything anyone has put forth.

One of the most simple twists on this turquoise jewel of France themed painting is that this Central American statue is named "Francisco". Its plaque says he was installed on Oct 21st 1966 (In the middle of twenty one) and if we take the height of the four stairs reference, then we easily can conclude the number of stair steps that would be needed for the statue to "walk down to the ground" (fifteen rows down to the ground).

I recommend someone dig this spot to about 20-24 inches and find the plastic encased clay pot. Post pics here and see about reclaiming a jewel prize or consider keeping or selling the clay pot which some would consider collectable.

It's too bad you don't sleep on piles of money, Urban Smurf. I think you could make puzzles like Priess did, except yours would be so hard that you could tell people what city they were in. No specialized knowledge is required, only a willingness to dive into the obscure and to entertain many "out there" ideas.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

homullus posted:

It's too bad you don't sleep on piles of money, Urban Smurf. I think you could make puzzles like Priess did, except yours would be so hard that you could tell people what city they were in. No specialized knowledge is required, only a willingness to dive into the obscure and to entertain many "out there" ideas.

I love treasure hunting. Compare it to the wonder people use to have when playing with basic legos and having to build something fresh out of their imaginations rather than taking a pre-built lego structure and following a bunch of directions. Or look at how people just walk around catching Pokemon in their digitally augmented world. People are acting like pimps when they're really just sheep. Byron made one killer treasure hunt, provided no instruction manual and people are going to have challenge their imaginations to solve it.

I don't consider myself as talented as Byron Preiss, but I have developed a cryptographic puzzle that leads to a location I've scouted. The only thing holding it up is the method for introducing the treasure hunt. Preiss built his into the pages of a book subtitled "A Treasure Hunt", presumably to sell books and have fun like the Masquerade by Kit Williams. There was "The Silver Key" marketed in the form of a music CD by a band Weirdo Deluxe. Those guys had style. I'm neither a writer of books or a musician or an artist and I don't sleep on piles of money.

I've been thinking a cool way to market my own hunt would be to produce a series of T-shirts. First, I'd give away T-shirts for free, then a keen person would recognize a mini-puzzle in the graphics that would lead them to purchasing another accessory like a hat or a coffee mug from a website. Each purchase will gain more information leading the person to the remaining pieces of the larger puzzle. I wouldn't be making it impossible, but the final result will require some traveling after decoding a unique cryptographic system inspired after I read The Codebreakers (1967, Kahn).

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 11, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cobalt60 posted:

I'm sorry I have to ask this, but is it some kind of running in-joke that nobody is just going places with shovels and putting them in the ground? All this talk of permits and earth temperature and quality - is that just some meta-joke that developed in this thread?

The casks are buried near landmarks so digging them up legally does need a permit. The other stuff is a injoke yes.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RatHat posted:

The casks are buried near landmarks so digging them up legally does need a permit. The other stuff is a injoke yes.
also pretty much digging anywhere requires permission from the government because you could hit utilities so :effort:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Out off curiosity, how frequent are utility lines in a wooded area? Like the suspected tree solve of the Houston cask?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Solve status: still not a noun

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm on team Iron Prince now, I am a little concerned about Smurf's wrists, sorry breh. IP got his fukin moxie and we are letting him down.

Pick a spot and we gofund his plane ticket and bar/liquor store tab.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

RatHat posted:

But you just go there, with a shovel. At like 8pm, before it's dark. You dig a small hole, preserving the grass on top. You fill it back if you don't find poo poo. Nobody gives any fucks.

So you are saying folks are Actually Serious about fearing digging? Fuuuckk

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Those kids in Chicago needed to dig up a whole park.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Haven't we already hashed out the whole fear of digging bit?

AFAIK people haven't had much trouble digging in New Orleans in broad daylight. I've heard a lot of crazy poo poo about digs in FOY/St. Augustine. A bunch of daytime digs have happened in San Francisco. I haven't heard lately about any real dig attempts in MKE. There's been digging (day/night) in Boston. Many digs in Houston. And several other shady digs I'm sure have happened in places nobody wants to talk about.

The problem isn't fear...it's competence. People need to first commit to understanding the puzzle so they aren't just digging a hole in some random spot. Next, people need to dig a hole that's deep and wide enough so they don't just miss the box by inches.

Give up digging in Houston. IMHO, New Orleans or Boston have the best chance of recovery.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

My theory on Canada begins with understanding the largest visual piece of the puzzle first. I speculate on where this approach might lead us, but the issue of the legeater in Montreal doesn't immediately enter the picture. I think it's unfortunate when people cling desperately to a small detail and don't see the "intelligent design" of the puzzle. I think the discovery of the leg of the lamp in Montreal came out of turn. It's discovery should arrive out of some reason to look there in the first place. I think the miniature replica of the CPR in Vancouver B.C. is a pretty good reason to look at the home of the CPR founder in Montreal. This level of interconnection between two cities on opposite sides of the continent is important to the framework of the puzzle as we need to understand why opposites or two-sides are important to the theme or purpose of various clues in the puzzle.

My thought process so far,

1) look at image 9 and think fairy tale author Hans Christian Andersen
2) see the steeples game in his hands and think "first sentence of the Little Mermaid"
3) consider Little Mermaid landmark in Copenhagen and think Girl in Wetsuit in Stanley Park, Vancouver B.C.

In a secondary process, look at verse 10,
4) the first line "In the shadow" may have something in common with an HCA story titled "The Shadow", but also to be considered is a poem by Pauline Johnson (buried in Stanley Park) titled "In the Shadows"

I think Pauline Johnson is very important to this puzzle as her native name Tekahionwake translates to mean "double life", which is essentially the core plot element in both HCA stories. The Little Mermaid has one life in the ocean and another on the surface. The well read man in The Shadow lives a quiet life in solitude while his shadow goes out to live and experience the world.

So, where does this approach to the puzzle lead us?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jH0WeV67I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Image 2 Verse 6 Charleston Recap:

Or May 1913

David Fairchild writes an article for the May 1913 issue of National Geographic Magazine, first sentence:

quote:

MY TASK is to open the
readers of NATIONAL GEO-
GRAPHIC MAGAZINE a door into
the world as full of romance as the fairy
tales of Grimm and Andersen."

Question: Could this Fairchild article be of any significance to The Secret, a treasure hunt about fairy folk?