Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

ok maybe I've been out of the loop on Fripp for a while, is there a reason he is only playing in venues that are churches?

I saw California guitar trio in a church a million years ago. Maybe it's some kind of crafty guitar "secret" tech thing? Cheap hall to rent with decent acoustics that works when you have a half-asleep crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Earwicker posted:

ok maybe I've been out of the loop on Fripp for a while, is there a reason he is only playing in venues that are churches?

Probably a combination of size and acoustics, churches are great for small groups like that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Allen Wren posted:

Probably a combination of size and acoustics, churches are great for small groups like that.
The acoustic angle has been getting a lot of attention lately. Katatonia's acoustic live album Sanctitude was recorded at Union Chapel in London, and you can't top the acoustics or the general atmosphere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67pmScpaLo

e: changed song for one with better demonstration of acoustics

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 28, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I've played in Union Chapel myself and the acoustics there are amazing. Even better with no amplification. In general churches in the UK have amazing acoustics. However I have not noticed that to be the case at all in the US so it seemed like an odd choice for a midwest tour.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Earwicker posted:

In the case of the Chicago date, Harvest Bible Chapel is not any ordinary church. That place probably has a sound system comparable to the Allstate Arena.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
The Orchestra of Crafty Guitarists XIII completed tonight at 9:11pm. Robert spoke at length during the closing meeting; this is the final one of Robert's commitments to GCNA and so likely the last GC event with him in NA. Earlier today I was in a trio that played Corcovado during lunch - singer, guitar and trumpet.... it was a privilege to be part of OCG XIII I will never forget.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
King Crimson FINALLY announced the release of Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair. October 14.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dope.

when I first started getting into King Crimson as a teenager I really disliked their 80's albums (this was in the early 90's). over the last five years or so Beat has become by far my most played album of theirs

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I really got into KC a lot more with these re-releases. I liked a few of their albums beforehand, but as I collected these I really started analyzing them and put KC as one of my top bands ever. I've obviously heard Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, but I haven't put the time into it like the other albums that have been released with this mostly because I've been waiting on these releases, thinking they'd come any moment now. Good to finally see them and be able to get a bit more into them. Since I've heard them I'm not entirely sure I'll ever get as into them as I am other eras of KC. Still, there's some real gems there and maybe the remaster will make other songs even better.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
sartori in tangier is super cool

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

strap on revenge posted:

sartori in tangier is super cool

A friend of mine actually learned it to play last year with TL on bass; a violinist we know transcribed it by ear and sent it to Tony to look at - he passed it to Robert who was astonished someone figured it out - it's basically an improv in various modes of D (IIRC) that Robert wanders through in the general direction of the end of the piece.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Rust Martialis posted:

A friend of mine actually learned it to play last year with TL on bass; a violinist we know transcribed it by ear and sent it to Tony to look at - he passed it to Robert who was astonished someone figured it out

what a nerd

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006
Kayo Dot's Plastic House on Base of Sky is out now - it's very synth-heavy and I love it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Mellomeh posted:

Kayo Dot's Plastic House on Base of Sky is out now - it's very synth-heavy and I love it.

Thanks. I'm actually really digging it.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Mellomeh posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I've checked some of their older stuff because they were in Tzadik and I really loved them.

Been slowly exploring some of the side projects with Tony Levin. Stick Men is absolutely fantastic!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Haha holy poo poo go see Gabriel/Sting play. Hearing the first lines of Selling England By The Pound made me pee a little.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Rust Martialis posted:

Haha holy poo poo go see Gabriel/Sting play. Hearing the first lines of Selling England By The Pound made me pee a little.

There's even a rumor he was rehearsing "Carpet Crawlers", but I saw it on the internet and make of that what you will.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

gahd-dang double post

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why is flute a prog thing?

Is it because of Ian Anderson?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why is flute a prog thing?

Is it because of Ian Anderson?

no Peter Gabriel played flute on all the early Genesis records too.

also Ian McDonald played flute and other woodwinds on the first couple King Crimson albums

and of course lots of prog bands used the flute samples on the Mellotron

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 4, 2016

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think Camel also had flute on some of their records.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Here's a cool prog flute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAWQVkLyv3A

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So why is it a thing?

I'm listening to some Astra lately and they use a flute here and there.

edit: I guess maybe it's a question that doesn't really need an answer.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 5, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So why is it a thing?

It's a cool instrument, adds a nice sound from the classical/folk world to a standard rock ensemble while simultaneously being (relatively) easy to learn and extremely portable, and in the case of Anderson and Gabriel its also kind of an obvious choice for a vocalist who'd like something to do during long instrumental passages

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

You could say that the flute in PR fills the role of the harmonica in blues/rock. Can't remember hearing a harmonica in a PR song, though there might be some.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

You could say that the flute in PR fills the role of the harmonica in blues/rock. Can't remember hearing a harmonica in a PR song, though there might be some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajHPd3-DH8A

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Yes, I fully and unconditionally admit that I was hitherto ignorant of Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (1991), with its combination of banjo, harmonica and drumitar.... :geno:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Jump to 7:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sArhKK7lss

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Earwicker posted:

It's a cool instrument, adds a nice sound from the classical/folk world to a standard rock ensemble while simultaneously being (relatively) easy to learn and extremely portable, and in the case of Anderson and Gabriel its also kind of an obvious choice for a vocalist who'd like something to do during long instrumental passages

That makes a lot of sense. I get it now.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I think I've heard some chromatic harmonica turn up in some of John McLaughlin's stuff occasionally.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
[noodlin'] folks, assemble:

http://ipecac.com/news/534

quote:

WELCOME OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ (ORL PROJECTS) TO THE IPECAC FAMILY!
July 7, 2016
We're excited to announce that we'll be releasing a series of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (At The Drive In/Mars Volta) solo albums with the first release, Sworn Virgins, available digitally on July 15.

The previously unreleased albums were recorded from 2008 to 2013, while Rodriguez-Lopez lived in Zapopan, Mexico and as well as his eventual return to El Paso. The titles will be released on a bi-weekly basis with the first spate of albums running through the end of the year. Each album will see a digital release with a limited number of physical copies (CD) available on Rodriguez-Lopez’s various live outings. Following the initial run of releases, a limited edition CD/LP box set will become available.

“The best part about having a record label is that you get to choose to work with people that you really admire,” said Ipecac's Greg Werckman. “We had all admired Omar’s work from afar and then recently got to know him up close. It was so great to find out that as talented as he is, he is an even better human being and we love having him as part of the Ipecac family. But, it seems that he has blatantly taken advantage of our friendship. Sure, we were excited to release his solo catalog... but this many titles??????? What have we gotten ourselves into?”

Rodriguez-Lopez adds, “It’s crucial in this day and age to be able to surround yourself with like minded people that you can share an ethos with. I feel grateful and fortunate enough to have found this with such amazing people: Mike, Greg, Shawn, Marc and the Ipecac family. After throwing around many different project ideas, this seemed like the best place to actually begin, on what will surely be a long lasting collaboration. I can’t think of a better home for these records or of another label crazy enough to put out this much material. The series also owes its blood to the hard work and talents of Jon Debaun and Chris Common, who diligently scouredthrough endless hard drives to find these albums and provide such stellar mixes.”

Omar Rodriquez-Lopez initial release schedule:

Sworn Virgins (July 15)
Corazones (July 29)
Blind Worms Pious Swine (August 12)
Arañas en La Sombra (August 26)
Umbrella Mistress (September 9)
El Bien Y Mal Nos Une (September 23)
Cell Phone Bikini (October 7)
Infinity Drips (October 21)
Weekly Mansions (November 4)
Zapopan (November 18)
Nom De Guerre Cabal (December 2)
Some Need It Lonely (December 16)

http://orlprojects.com/

12 Omar albums between now and Christmas - gently caress, man.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
omar pls

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What a slowpoke. Buckethead has already released at least 15 albums this year.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Oh yeah, Focus also used flute now that I think of it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Incoherence posted:

Found this on Google Play Music: the answer to the question "what happens when your prog band includes a trumpet player, a sax player, and a singer who sounds a lot like the guy from Coheed and Cambria".
And now the same guys have a new album, which sounds like more of the same. Not that I'm calling that a bad thing :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B97Ifr9pPy4
Kinda hoping that the Haken/Thank You Scientist tour sprouts a San Francisco date at some point.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Holy gently caress, Fripp is not loving around this time:

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/radical-action-to-unseat-the-hold-of-monkey-mind-standard-edition-p1602.aspx

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
And to top it off, it sounds affordable!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

While we're talking about it, I'm a bit of a dork, I like having concert/performance DVDs around to put on in the background while I do poo poo. What's the best examples of this in prog? I've got a few here and there (and a lot of them are bootleg-ish or old VHS tapes that someone cleaned up and put on the internet) but I'm interested to hear if other people know about other bits and bobs that I haven't heard about.

Some of my (prog) go-tos (apart from some of the obvious stuff - like, obviously Rush in Rio and Three Sides Live are good, duh.)

Van Der Graaf Generator: The Live Broadcasts (bootleg?) - one set from European (Belgian?) TV with the Pawn Hearts lineup playing Theme One and Plague of Lighthouse Keepers live in the studio (with Peter Hammill doing the lyrics off the back of the album sleeve) and one in-concert set from around the time of Godbluff. Hammill wandering off at the end of Plague while the band vamps is hilarious.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer: whatever disc has the tv broadcast of the Works tour stop in Montreal. It's an amazing mess that screams 1977 - the orchestra in matching turtleneck sweaters, the plain white lighting for the TV cameras (that was way too dark), Keith with his Yamaha (one of the weirder and most overt gear changes I can think of in basically any pop music genre)...the playing is great, the show is bizarre.

An Hour With Pink Floyd - 1970ish, the Floyd on KQED in California. Absolutely fantastic. Apparently it was recorded the morning after a set at the Fillmore, and it's got a spacy, barely-awake vibe in the gentler places. Atom Heart Mother rocks out with Rick's organ replacing the tepid horn parts, Cymbaline and Grantchester Meadows are fantastic, the latter done by Waters and Gilmour on acoustic guitars side-by-side, and a great closing Set The Controls.

Grace Under Pressure Tour - It's mid-80s Rush, not yet the synthbeast of A Show of Hands, but definitely not the same group as what recorded Exit Stage Left. (Don't get me wrong, as a synthpop fan, I am all about some Hold Your Fire.) Basically any Rush video is going to be good, but this one's, interestingly enough, got a then-complete performance of "Fear."

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Van Der Graaf Generator: The Live Broadcasts (bootleg?) - one set from European (Belgian?) TV with the Pawn Hearts lineup playing Theme One and Plague of Lighthouse Keepers live in the studio (with Peter Hammill doing the lyrics off the back of the album sleeve) and one in-concert set from around the time of Godbluff. Hammill wandering off at the end of Plague while the band vamps is hilarious.
Is that the one :

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Graaf-Generator-Godbluff-Live/dp/B0000AE7C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468574310&sr=8-1&keywords=0823880011603

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's not the copy I have, but it appears to be the same material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

I have this release, and yeah, it is definitely worth watching.

Here are some of my favorites:

King Crimson - Neal and Jack and Me
This is the must-own King Crimson DVD release, featuring two full concerts from the '80s lineup. Live in Japan is from the same tour as Absent Lovers, and the performance is of similar quality. The Frejus show isn't as nearly as great, but has an awesome performance of The Sheltering Sky.

Marillion - From Stoke Row to Ipanema
A documentary you don't care about, and a full show from their first tour with Steve Hogarth, featuring a lot of material they have only rarely performed since. And the loving MIDI gloves, which alone are enough to qualify Marillion as one of the least cool bands to have ever existed. It's a strong enough performance that I'd recommend it even if you aren't a diehard fan.

Magma - XXX Anniversaire - Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie
I'd maybe go as far as to call this the most essential Magma release. Absolutely awe-inspiring.

Talk Talk - Live at Montreux 1986
From their last tour, and I don't think there's a single song that doesn't surpass the studio version. I can't imagine not being a Talk Talk fan after watching this, that's how good it is.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 15, 2016