Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I came across a man named Smith Daniel, which was very confusing for me as I had to register him in a computer and it just did not seem right to put "Smith" in the "given name" field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yesterday I came across a man named Smith Daniel, which was very confusing for me as I had to register him in a computer and it just did not seem right to put "Smith" in the "given name" field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDrBCNutmM

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
Elivia (variation on Olivia I guess?)

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

It's going to be very awkward if they have another kid.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Florida Betty posted:

It's going to be very awkward if they have another kid.

They clearly didn't plan for more than two in the first place.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

"Sandra Godinez laughs as her sons Ricardo Jr., 6, and Ricardo III, 2, play."

I'm not sure that's how naming succession works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless their father is Ricardo II.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Unless their father is Ricardo II.

Why would the younger son get to be Ricardo III?

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Male Tears posted:

"Sandra Godinez laughs as her sons Ricardo Jr., 6, and Ricardo III, 2, play."

I'm not sure that's how naming succession works.

2 different dads, one named Ricardo Sr., one named Ricardo II.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Just saw the surname 'Honebone'.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

cyberia posted:

Just saw the surname 'Honebone'.

pronounced honeybunny

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Frunch

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A little girl called Mamelia.

Asinine Tails
Aug 11, 2012
Chase Peck, a woman named presumably after what chickens do, and Elvin Spellsmith , who I can only assume is some sort of fantasy novel wizard

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
The last name "Longtimesquirrel" was apparently used to sign up for a cellphone plan at work the other day. Oh my.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I ran into a similar problem with a Kari Tapio or Tapio Kari while manually updating a database at work today. Both his names are perfectly normal Finnish names and they work equally well as given names and surnames. The email addresses of the organization he works at follow a firstname.lastname convention, but his email address had them in one order and the name fields had them in the opposite order, so I have no way of knowing whether this guy is Bob John or John Bob without calling him and asking. :psyduck:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Too soon.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

cuntvalet posted:

The last name "Longtimesquirrel" was apparently used to sign up for a cellphone plan at work the other day. Oh my.

Are you in Canada by chance? One of my friends commented on that name to me years ago and he's (part) First Nations. His mom's maiden name was Crowchief which is actually :krad: and not terrible.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Vanderdeath posted:

Are you in Canada by chance? One of my friends commented on that name to me years ago and he's (part) First Nations. His mom's maiden name was Crowchief which is actually :krad: and not terrible.

I am, from Ontario! I'm part First Nations but my last name is Wright which isn't very uncommon to say the least. I kinda wish I was a Longtimesquirrel.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stefan Assmann

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

so what

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Leaha, pronounced like Leah.

Does this town also have a straight sheriff ?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Alaois posted:

Stefan Assmann

There is an Assmann plot in the cemetery in my town. I feel a little bad for giggling when I see it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
We got a Trail, Cruise, and Canyon today at work.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tulalip Tulips posted:

We got a Trail, Cruise, and Canyon today at work.

sounds like a really nice trip

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
We had a girl named Jislorde had to be called by the office and the girl was so embarrassed to call, when she got through she asked for 'jice lorday'.
And we had a family buy some stuff at a store of ours with the last name Assarapin. Full ID, no jokes.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Nierbo posted:

We had a girl named Jislorde had to be called by the office and the girl was so embarrassed to call, when she got through she asked for 'jice lorday'.
And we had a family buy some stuff at a store of ours with the last name Assarapin. Full ID, no jokes.

I've seen something similar to the first when someone wants something like 'Jesus is Lord' on their license plate, and the way they shorten it to 7 characters is JISLORD.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

White girl named Cherokee.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Did she get Khum Dhan?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

gamingCaffeinator posted:

There is an Assmann plot in the cemetery in my town. I feel a little bad for giggling when I see it.

David Letterman did a bit about a real life guy named Dick Assman for like, an entire summer way back.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ElwoodCuse posted:

David Letterman did a bit about a real life guy named Dick Assman for like, an entire summer way back.

Dude has his own Wikipedia article because of course he does.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Someone I know said that if their baby is a girl they are going to name her Journey.

Edit: Spelling

Male Tiers has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Jul 18, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A girl I went to school with has a daughter named Aureelia.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Male Tears posted:

Someone I know said that if there baby is a girl they are going to name her Journey.

A small town girl?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I used to work in a call center and got lots of bizarre or obnoxious names. A LOT of women named Princess. There was one woman whose name was pronounced "Orion" but was spelled something like Aorrhiayawn. The surname of "Bastard" isn't VERY uncommon, but I once talked to a fellow whose first name was German. I knew a Native American fellow whose surname was White Man. I met a woman whose last name was Heir, so they named her Million. Jesus Tapdancing Christ. That last one wasn't one; that was just an expletive.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

credburn posted:

The surname of "Bastard" isn't VERY uncommon, but I once talked to a fellow whose first name was German.

So he had a German first name, e.g. Heinrich Bastard?

Or do you mean you spoke to a gentleman named German Bastard? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

credburn posted:

I knew a Native American fellow whose surname was White Man.

Yellow Hair is a not uncommon last name for some Navajo tribe members. We get a lot of White Eagles, So Happy, and EveryBodyTalksAbout/TalksAbout where I live.