Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Riptor posted:

is mystery show ever coming back?

Probably. Starlee mentioned something about "future episodes" on Twitter the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Did I say next week? I meant next month😃

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There used to be a podcast called Saturn Scene where some dude interviewed comedians and talked to them about their astrological signs. My wife really wants to listen to it but it seems that it has been scrubbed from the internet, their website and iTunes page are gone, RSS links are dead, etc. - anyone know anything about it or where I can find the episodes? I did find one episode (Jen Kirkman) but that's it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Outsider artist-esque podcasts? As in, not commercially appealing, lo-fi, not trying hard to be weird.. just weird

The best I have is: http://www.nobleape.com/stone/

Anybody got any?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

evilpicard posted:

Chapo Trap House is essential listening.

as is Chapo's sister podcast, the less politically focused Cum Town

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilpicard posted:

Chapo Trap House is essential listening.

I somehow only just heard about this and holy gently caress you guys it's everything you ever needed

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I somehow only just heard about this and holy gently caress you guys it's everything you ever needed

I started listening to it after I was linked to an article bashing it that was so insufferable it made me immediately interested in the show and I've loved it ever since.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Under the vegetable posted:

as is Chapo's sister podcast, the less politically focused Cum Town

no it isn't. it is a garbage podcast

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

I started listening to it after I was linked to an article bashing it that was so insufferable it made me immediately interested in the show and I've loved it ever since.

that article owns because I can't tell if they're mad that they're fake leftists or too leftist or what. Like it constantly switches from "THESE IDIOTS PROBABLY LOVE COMMUNISM EVEN THOUGH THEY MAKE FUN OF SOVIET PROPAGANDA AND poo poo" to

quote:

Red flags abound in this poo poo. I personally stay away from any pundit who uses code words like “dove”, “hawk”, “non-interventionist foreign policy”, etc. when skirting around the issue of AMERICAN IMPERIALISM AS IT SHOULD BE CALLED.

Like, what the gently caress is this.

Mr Hootington posted:

no it isn't. it is a garbage podcast

A garbage podcast or "a garbage podcast"?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

that article owns because I can't tell if they're mad that they're fake leftists or too leftist or what. Like it constantly switches from "THESE IDIOTS PROBABLY LOVE COMMUNISM EVEN THOUGH THEY MAKE FUN OF SOVIET PROPAGANDA AND poo poo" to

Like, what the gently caress is this.

A garbage podcast or "a garbage podcast"?

They are "leftists", "progressives", "former Bernie supporters", or whatever the buzzword is for people to the left of the democratic establishment is.

Cum Town is not "a garbage podcast". It is legit bad and not funny. You might find it enjoyable.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
cum town is actually extremely funny and you are total dinks and rubes or whatever

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You'd think with these guys pulling in 8k a month they could at least afford good mics for all hosts.

Also, muting their phones would be cool.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 12, 2016

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Enjoying "I was there too",
a guy who interviews people who had a small role in a famous movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just started listening to Blame it On the Outer Space and it took a few eps to "take" but I just want to say I want an entire podcast hosted by "Jesse Ventura" as done by James Adomian.
the best
I love when you can hear them cracking up a little. Just have Jesse as your co-host man, you need a new "number one".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I just started listening to Blame it On the Outer Space and it took a few eps to "take" but I just want to say I want an entire podcast hosted by "Jesse Ventura" as done by James Adomian.
the best
I love when you can hear them cracking up a little. Just have Jesse as your co-host man, you need a new "number one".

The newest episode on The Mandela Effect was kind of amazing because they actually found a guy who does a podcast entirely about The Berenstain Bears and had him on as a guest. The dude being so sincere and knowledgeable and the hosts just kind of being stunned as he gives a five minute lecture on the etymological origins of the name Berenstain or makes deep cuts about the differences between the animated series and the books was something to behold.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've only listened to a couple, including the one you mentioned, but for me the strength of episodes really just depends on how good the wacky stupid guest character is. Like this Jesse Ventura episode is just so perfect, I love the chemistry between "Jesse" and Eric, I just want this dude back on like every ep now. There are too many loving quotables. I'm just going to listen to it again.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Apologize if this is the wrong thread but I just subscribed to the Patreon of Chapo and want to listen to the additional content. Is there a way to get the soundclouds that this unlocks to download to the Podcast Addict app? Or failing that, download the soundcloud to my phone? I just don't want to use data to stream it.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
if these chapo dinguses keep getting more patreon cash they're gonna need to hire a good sound engineer. i know it's all charmingly unpolished compared to other nerdy politics stuff but it's p obvious they're way beyond the threshold for that and are just being cheap. But i don't contribute so this "take your many hours of free entertainment and SHOVE IT" doesn't mean that I'll stop listening or that i lose anything by adjusting my volume once in a while. But it might actually bother me if they were getting my $$$.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Man, I decided to give Google Play Music a shot as a podcatcher since Google of all people should be able to do something as simple as a podcatcher. Nope. I have to constantly unsubscribe and resubscribe to get it to check for new episodes and download them. Sometimes I'll unsubscribe from one show and it'll finally notice an episode from a completely different show from days ago and download it too. WTF Google.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
There may be a podcast app better than Pocket Casts, but I haven't used it yet.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Podcast addict is good enough for me.

Dr. David PHD
Mar 12, 2010
Coming back after a couple months looking for more podcasts! Last time I was asking for some spooky podcast reccomendations, and got:

Franchescanado posted:

Lore
The Black Tapes (this one eventually moves in an overarching plot in an interesting way, but it's one of the best supernatural story podcasts I've found. X-Files meets Ghost Hunters)
The No Sleep Podcast
Knifepoint Horror

Edit: the Dollop still has some of my favorite true ghost stories I've ever heard, but they're comedians telling and joking about actual historical stories. If that interests you, look into these episodes: "Ghosts", "American Vampire Panic", "The Talk Board", "Australian Exorcists", "Spiderman of Denver", "The Mad Gasser", "The Greenbrier Ghost". One of the best podcasts, hilarious and informative, well-researched as well

I tried Lore and Knifepoint Horror, and they weren't necessarily my jam. Lore was a bit too surface-scratchy for me, I really enjoy consuming media relating to ghost stories, the supernatural, etc., so I felt like a lot of information being covered on the episodes that I tried were things I already knew, or at least was too saturated with that type of information to fully engage me. Knifepoint Horror felt REALLY long, I tried the newest one and couldn't really get into it; this might just be a case of me trying the wrong episode first so I figured I'd ask if there were any specific episodes to try.

The Black Tapes
was good, only heard the first two episodes because I switched to (and recently finished all existing episodes of) Archive 81 based on more recent recommendations within this thread. Will approach The Black Tapes again in the near future.

I also listened to pretty much everything from The Truth, and was really impressed by it. I started listening for "spooky" stories (which it did deliver on), but ended up enjoying their experimental narratives and slice-of-life stories as well!

I apparently missed The Dollop recommendation so I'll have to try that.

So now, just wondering if there are any podcast reccomendations that hit on one or more of the following subjects/formats: the supernatural, one-off stories, art, fringe knowledge, true crime. A longshot also, but I started watching PBS's Idea Channel on youtube and I really enjoy that; the only problem is that it's based in videos so it's hard for me to engage it while I'm doing other things. A reccomendation of a similar podcast to that would be amazing too.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Jeff and Casey Show, two programmers in the gamedev industry talk about random stuff. The show almost always starts of with the mega timer being set (which is a giant clock/stopwatch for grade school teachers).

Some classic eps:

Casey signs up for OK Cupid (Spoiler: Jeff and Casey end up being brothers in law later because of this when Jeff marries the sister.)
https://mollyrocket.com/jacs/jacs_0002_0039.html

Hilarious book reviews
https://mollyrocket.com/jacs/jacs_0004_0011.html

Episode recaps of Seaquest DSV
https://mollyrocket.com/jacs/jacs_0003_0034.html

Casey's attempt at buying a computer desk and being hit with a cancer surprise
https://mollyrocket.com/jacs/jacs_0004_0046.html

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Embedded is cool and good.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Honestly I wouldn't have minded mediocre if it meant I could use the same app for my music and my podcasts, but I expected better than straight up broken from Google.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

XBenedict posted:

Embedded is cool and good.

Thanks for recommending! This is a great listen.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Does anybody know what happened to Kumail Nanjiani's X-Files Files podcast? The last ep was six months ago and the show's Twitter has been dead for months, I know he had to take a break for the show before that due to actually being on an episode of the show but it's already aired and he's already released the stuff he recorded while filming it. I remember him being upset with one episode of the revival being a lovely uncritical "brown people = terrorists" plot and most of the revival aside from his ep was pretty poor but I really hope it wasn't enough to make him abandon the podcast.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's good to see some Grey Wolves in this thread. The last non-premium Chapo episode was quite a downer, but I think they're being overly pessimistic about this election. Trump is really digging himself into a hole by continuing to piss off the family of a decorated veteran just because he was Muslim. Rule one of being an effective fascist: don't talk poo poo about the military. I'd argue that The DigCast (also done by Felix) is even better. Also listen to The Scumbag, a third podcast done by Felix as well as Ed Zitron, a British guy with a name that sounds like a Transformers character.

I love Cum Town, but it really depends on your tolerance for guys talking about nothing in particular. Personally, I think they're funny as hell. The David Cross interview sucked, but apparently he's not a very good interview subject to begin with. Sometimes there's context: Seth Dickfield is based off of a real comedian in the New York scene, and that Austin Powers bit came to be because Nick just responded to every tweet Sady Doyle made with a pic of Doctor Evil with the meme text, "How about no?"

I'm glad that there are regular episodes of How Was Your Week? again now that Difficult People is out. I don't know how Julie Klausner makes can talk about Cats on Broadway for a half hour without making me want to listen to something else. She just has this charm.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
best podcast app?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

bowmore posted:

best podcast app?

Overcast

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

best podcast app?

Pocket Casts

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Monopthalmus posted:

Overcastrated

Pocket Casts is top for both OS. TBH, the iTunes podcast app isn't nearly the disaster that everyone wants it to be, either.

On another note, I side-use Stitcher, solely for its discovery feature. It usually points me to podcast episodes that I actually enjoy. Please note: this is not an endorsement of Stitcher as an everyday podcatcher. Just...no.

Edit: While Overcast has pretty much the same feature set as all players, the Smart Speed function is pretty neat.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 5, 2016

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I've used Podcast Addict since Google Reader bit it, and it's been fine, seems to be getting more stable all the time.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

XBenedict posted:

Edit: While Overcast has pretty much the same feature set as all players, the Smart Speed function is pretty neat.

This is my favorite feature, along with the "last effects / these effects" choice for individual podcasts. My feed is 50/50 news and politics, with the other half being storytelling and others where pacing is part of the enjoyment.

So not having to adjust for each episode is great - a politics recap show will automatically be 2x speed with smart speed turned on, and if next in queue is a story or something it goes back to 1x with the silences preserved. Great for listening in the car so I don't gotta goof around with settings at 70mph.

Point of this is that I'm wondering if this is available on any android podcast app. If there are multiple, which is the best one? Changing phones soon after years on ios so I gots no idea what's out there.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like Overcast a lot.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pocket Casts is good, but I prefer Podcast Addict since there's a page that lists episodes downloaded on your phone.

EDIT: But you can just make a playlist for downloaded episodes.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 7, 2016

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I've tried the new version of Pocket Casts, but I can't quite figure out how to make it work the way I want it to.

The way I listen to podcasts is to auto download new podcasts as well as manually downloading old episodes (going through back catalogs) and then manually sorting the order. Ideally new podcasts I add get automatically added to the list.

With Pocket Casts, I can't seem to find a playlist style function to do this. The filters don't seem to be manually sortable, and the "up next" playlist doesn't seem to grab older casts when I download them, just new (auto downloaded) ones. Is Pocket Casts not capable of doing what I want, or am I just missing something (likely blindingly obvious)?

Overcast does this perfectly, but I've been getting increasingly annoyed at how sluggish it has been running over the last months (iPhone 6). It hasn't been nearly snappy enough when I press the info button or try to reorganise podcast playlist order.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I pretty much have three interests: video games, movies and books. I do graveyard custodial work at a college so eight hours a night I just listen to podcasts, and as you can imagine I burn through episodes pretty quickly if I enjoy the podcast. My favorite kind of podcasts are the "book club" format, in which hosts discuss a particular book, movie, or game, starting from the beginning and going through the entire thing, sort of summarizing it and discussing themes along the way. There are tons and tons of film podcasts about this, and a few book podcasts about this, but when it comes to video games I can only think of Watch Out for Fireballs and, to a slightly lesser degree, Retronauts. I adore these podcasts, but I've listened to all their episodes already. There are so many video game podcasts out there, some of which are okay, but they are all mostly focused on current news, or an amalgam of games, or whatever. I want to spend an hour listening to some people take apart a single game from beginning to end. Can anyone recommend me something?

To contribute, here are podcasts I highly recommend:

Bad Film:
We Hate Movies
The Flop House
How Did This Get Made?

Film in General:
Now Playing
The Canon

Bad Books:
Read It and Weep
The Worst Best Sellers

Books, Film, Television:
The Pop Culture Happy Hour

Video Games:
The Retronauts
Watch Out for Fireballs

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

credburn posted:

My favorite kind of podcasts are the "book club" format, in which hosts discuss a particular book, movie, or game, starting from the beginning and going through the entire thing, sort of summarizing it and discussing themes along the way. There are tons and tons of film podcasts about this, and a few book podcasts about this, but when it comes to video games I can only think of Watch Out for Fireballs and, to a slightly lesser degree, Retronauts.

Sounds like Cane And Rinse might be what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

credburn posted:

I pretty much have three interests: video games, movies and books. I do graveyard custodial work at a college so eight hours a night I just listen to podcasts, and as you can imagine I burn through episodes pretty quickly if I enjoy the podcast. My favorite kind of podcasts are the "book club" format, in which hosts discuss a particular book, movie, or game, starting from the beginning and going through the entire thing, sort of summarizing it and discussing themes along the way. There are tons and tons of film podcasts about this, and a few book podcasts about this, but when it comes to video games I can only think of Watch Out for Fireballs and, to a slightly lesser degree, Retronauts. I adore these podcasts, but I've listened to all their episodes already. There are so many video game podcasts out there, some of which are okay, but they are all mostly focused on current news, or an amalgam of games, or whatever. I want to spend an hour listening to some people take apart a single game from beginning to end. Can anyone recommend me something?

To contribute, here are podcasts I highly recommend:

Bad Film:
We Hate Movies
The Flop House
How Did This Get Made?

Film in General:
Now Playing
The Canon

Bad Books:
Read It and Weep
The Worst Best Sellers

Books, Film, Television:
The Pop Culture Happy Hour

Video Games:
The Retronauts
Watch Out for Fireballs

If you like Watch Out For Fireballs then its sister show Abject Suffering, about bad videogames instead of classics, is also worth listening to. It's less in-depth but it updates more frequently and if you like Gary and Kole's sense of humor the more laid back and stream-of-consciousness approach makes for a lot of good goofs assuming you can stand their odd cultural blind spots. Bonfireside Chat is also good if you have any interest in and enjoyment of the Souls games.

I Don't Even Own A Television is also my favorite bad book podcast from a sheer humor perspective, again if you don't mind that it leans very heavily toward the hosts particular interests like a lot of books by musicians.