Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Watching the last episode, I completely empathize with how helpless Subaru is. At this point, having been shown far more powerful opponents and even allies, what exactly is he supposed to do?

This show isn't Dark Souls. This show is an SL1 no upgrade run of Dark Souls. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

User0015 posted:

This show isn't Dark Souls. This show is an SL1 no upgrade run of Dark Souls. God drat.

^By somebody that's never played before

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
its darks souls 3 where you have access to 3-5 summoned allies and they no level restriction on them though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
So, I didn't notice it until I read the author's live-tweets, but apparently the reason Ram shows up in a different place in the second loop is because she protected the kids' shed instead of Rem. :(

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
will elsa ever return she my favorite

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I agree, Betelgeuse's monologue would never be boring. His full 8-10 minute worth of monologue plus plot hint is entertaining and cringe-worthy as intended.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm somewhat lost. I agree. This last episode was fairly epic though.

I don't know much about catatonic states, but I would assume Subaru was semi-catatonic. Something reasonable?

How does Subaru know Betelgeuse's name? It seems like they somehow know each other. I get the impression something clicked inside Subaru and he now knows more than he did before.

Why did Puck kill Subaru during the credit scene. I"m thinking he just wanted everyone dead if Emilia is dead. Seems both plot-wise convenient and also a bit excessive on the part of Puck, though.

Honestly, Subaru is such a loving idiot, I'm not sure I could stomach this show if such horrible things didn't happen to him. Keeps things really interesting. I really want to know what the deal with his relationship with the witch of Jealousy is though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Betelgeuse introduced himself

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Dan7el posted:

#3 Why did Puck kill Subaru during the credit scene. I"m thinking he just wanted everyone dead if Emilia is dead. Seems both plot-wise convenient and also a bit excessive on the part of Puck, though.
Can't Puck read minds? And even without the mind-reading thing, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd already figured out Subaru's respawn mechanic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Belgian Waffle posted:

Can't Puck read minds? And even without the mind-reading thing, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd already figured out Subaru's respawn mechanic.

Puck can't read THOUGHTS but he can read emotions. Presumably Puck killed Subaru either out of spite or as a kindness to having Subaru freeze to death.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wouldn't Puck be going berserk in his giant form and thus be indiscriminate in whatever he kills within radius?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that the only thing holding Puck back from being insanely powerful (and possibly killing in a berserk state) is his bond with Emilia. I mean, based on the stuff we're seeing him pull after Emilia dies (long-lasting hyper frozen area, freezing cold weather, giant form, long distance head slicing) he should've been able to take out gut-fetish lady easily. I'm a sucker for a good old fashioned "You're bonded to this hyper-powerful being, and can only use a fraction of its power, and maybe if things get extreme you might be able to use more but it might have negative consequences" situation.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://twitter.com/Popehoist/status/752645991816368128

sorry not sorry

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like that Puck still has his earring even after going into full Elder God mode. :3:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
gently caress Dark Souls, this is Moe Nier.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
This is what happen when you make Puck work overtime past night time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Sandman posted:

gently caress Dark Souls, this is Moe Nier.
Nier is more depressing/hopeless than Dark Souls?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I like that the only thing holding Puck back from being insanely powerful (and possibly killing in a berserk state) is his bond with Emilia. I mean, based on the stuff we're seeing him pull after Emilia dies (long-lasting hyper frozen area, freezing cold weather, giant form, long distance head slicing) he should've been able to take out gut-fetish lady easily.

Well we have seen Emilia die before without Puck seemingly going berserk. While it could be different when she dies at night or that it simply takes some time for Puck to go full nuclear winter, I'm guessing the cultists did more than simply kill Emilia.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Grouchio posted:

Nier is more depressing/hopeless than Dark Souls?
Yes.

LostRook posted:

Well we have seen Emilia die before without Puck seemingly going berserk. While it could be different when she dies at night or that it simply takes some time for Puck to go full nuclear winter, I'm guessing the cultists did more than simply kill Emilia.
Have we seen her die before without Subaru immediately following her, though?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Sandman posted:

Yes.

Have we seen her die before without Subaru immediately following her, though?

Didn't he happen upon her dead body in one loop? She got there a lot earlier because she didn't have him to slow her down, iirc.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's quite an accomplishment how the show makes you feel for the characters, and Subaru's despair in particular, when the premise is the ability to reset so that bad poo poo didn't happen.

It really nails how even though the resets mean this stuff doesn't stay happened for anyone else, it sure as hell stays happened for Subaru. He gets to go into this next loop knowing that all the poo poo that just happened to him (which he remembers in excruciating detail), or something even worse could easily happen again, and he's next to powerless to stop it. For all he knows, he could have to go through the events of that last loop a thousand times before he gets out of it and moves onto the next one, and that's probably not going to be any better! It's one step removed from literal hell, only because there is the potential to get past it each time.

Remember when we thought being cursed and having his arm blasted off was brutal? I loop that only ever got that bad would seem like a relief these days.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oh yeah I forgot that Emilia's been dead before without causing a Puckageddon. I suppose the most likely thing is that the cultists do something to her before or after her death and cause a puck freakout then, or just something about the cultists being tied to the Jealous Witch causes that because of Emilia's JW ties.

I'm sure that Emilia's going to have some history or tie to the Jealous Witch at this point, she introduces herself as Satella in the first loop, looks just like her, is the female lead of the series... I mean I take that as gospel at this point.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Jesus loving christ.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Basically he saw things in colors, specifically that green was warm, brown was cold and scary,

Are these supposed to be Krusche and Felix? That's an interesting counterpoint to how they're presented.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Checked out the first few episodes. I like this so far, and I wish I noticed it when it started airing. Reinhard's definitely my favorite of the characters introduced thus far.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

PerrineClostermann posted:

Didn't he happen upon her dead body in one loop? She got there a lot earlier because she didn't have him to slow her down, iirc.

No. First time Subaru dies he enters the pawnshop first and sees her get cut down in front of his eyes after she follows him in, which happened at night (so Puck wasn't out and active), and he succumbs to his own wounds right afterwards.

NowonSA posted:

Oh yeah I forgot that Emilia's been dead before without causing a Puckageddon. I suppose the most likely thing is that the cultists do something to her before or after her death and cause a puck freakout then, or just something about the cultists being tied to the Jealous Witch causes that because of Emilia's JW ties.

I'm sure that Emilia's going to have some history or tie to the Jealous Witch at this point, she introduces herself as Satella in the first loop, looks just like her, is the female lead of the series... I mean I take that as gospel at this point.

I think the big difference is the hour; it's just past dawn when Subaru reaches the mansion after the massacre the first time, and considering the trail of blood, I can imagine that perhaps Emilia attempted to make a last stand before succumbing to her wounds, only for Puck to awaken to see her dead. Alternatively, she activated him at night but the same thing still happened with her not making it to the morning.

I believe it's later in the day when he reaches the mansion in the last episode, giving Puck more time to be active (and cover the Mathers domain in snow). Killing Emilia to cause Puck to go on a rampage might be the Witch Cult's objective, but :iiam:

Now, being more speculative, I don't know if Emilia even has to have a tie to the Witch of Envy. That is, she looks like her, but that's it. On the other hand we have Natsuki Subaru, who:

- Got transported to another world for no apparent reason (perhaps by the Witch?).
- Smells like the Witch (whereas Emilia doesn't).
- Every time he loops or attempts to break the apparent 'rule' of taking about the loops the Witch smell gets stronger, so we know the power is related to her.
- Legend says that the Jealous Witch is starved for love, as told by Beatrice, but doesn't understand humans.
- And what does Subaru's power do, exactly? It doesn't let him die, and he can't tell anyone that he has it.

I'm more inclined to believe that Emilia is just a victim in all of this, out of looking the way she does, and that Subaru running into her was either coincidence or a product of his own strong connection to the Jealous Witch.

Or, just maybe, the reason he can loop is that he so strongly wanted to save a silver-haired half-elf during his last moments that the Witch chose him, interpreting it as someone who could love her.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 12, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqXBjiJVDc8

new short.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TBH I'm still trying to figure out why Roswaal wants to kill the dragon. Not end the contract like one of the queen candidates wants, but 'kill.'

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Short has Rem and Ram saying Goshujin-sama, therefore it is an A+ short. Also some Ram faces there are very good avatar fodder, if you're looking for that. Sadly they aren't Rem faces.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

Short has Rem and Ram saying Goshujin-sama, therefore it is an A+ short. Also some Ram faces there are very good avatar fodder, if you're looking for that. Sadly they aren't Rem faces.

Unlike what she said in the short, Rem is the one that's always cute. Alas.

e: Enjoy some Piano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi2Xhg5qpo0

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rangpur posted:

TBH I'm still trying to figure out why Roswaal wants to kill the dragon. Not end the contract like one of the queen candidates wants, but 'kill.'

Full Magical Communism Now

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ReZero_En/status/752909885386272769?s=09

:gbsmith:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Would watch Bizarro ReZero.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Everyone lives happy, fulfilling, non-dangerous lives at a basic, Japanese school with no magic or curses around.

Subaru still dies.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It becomes School Days Redux.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Alright i need to know. Do we lose any characters for good because of this arc? PM me or put it in a spoiler tag or something.
edit: thanks :(

Brownieftw fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 12, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Blaze Dragon posted:

Everyone lives happy, fulfilling, non-dangerous lives at a Japanese school
Subaru's resets come from failing tests of one sort or another

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 12, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The he realizes that if he wants to succeed he has to form a study group.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm probably the only one who was disappointed that when Subaru shouted Betelgeuse three times Betelgeuse didn't pop up. Betelgeuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cowman posted:

I'm probably the only one who was disappointed that when Subaru shouted Betelgeuse three times Betelgeuse didn't pop up. Betelgeuse

re: zero is a prequel, this is back before he was the ghost with the most

• Locked thread