Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tender Bender posted:

The NX would benefit a lot from either one of those things tbh, there's quite a few great games that most people missed out on because no one bought a Wii U.

Or you just port the games and sell them. Add a few new features to try and get people to buy a 2nd copy and double dip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Straight up, I think if you try and sell people on any Wii U title with "Runs smoother! 1080p! NO NEED FOR SCREEN CONTROLLER!!" they'll get it in a heartbeat. It'll make Splatoon and Mario Maker worse for sure but every single other game will just get more attention.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The PS4 straight up doesn't even try to do BC because the Cell processor turned out to be a ridiculous turd and a gigantic pain in the rear end to emulate, so they just sell you a streaming rental service for PS3 games instead.

Nintendo has been pretty generous with backwards compatibility due to using basically the same chips since the Game Cube, making it relatively cheap to add hardware to emulate previous generations. I do wonder if they go x86 or ARM if they'll include a Broadway chip or something so it can run Wii/U games, but considering how "eeeehn" the U did, I wouldn't be surprised if they just broke it this time. Some U games are in Unity or some poo poo and could be easily recompiled there anyway, and they might just figure out a way to make it relatively easy to recompile U games for the NX for re-release on the eShop just like they have been doing with a bunch of Wii games.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

FactsAreUseless posted:

It stands for New Xylophone and heck, that's just what it is.

Yes... an extraordinary Xylophone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6y-5OYc_0&t=40s

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope the NX hybrid console/portable rumor is true, because being able to play Monster Hunter when I'm on business trips or otherwise not at home is the poo poo, and all the haters who think it "belongs on the playstation" can fuckin eat me. Playstation already has like... every other game in that genre, instead.

Don't they have every other game in that genre because Monster Hunter is no longer on Sony consoles?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There's lots of gems on the Wii U that'd never get an NX support because they failed to sell the first time around. I doubt you'd see excellent games like DKC Returns: Tropical Freeze or Wonderful 101 remastered for NX if they went that route.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MechaCrash posted:

Don't they have every other game in that genre because Monster Hunter is no longer on Sony consoles?

It's also probably easier to develop for a more traditional console, and market share considerations. Especially for these games that are anime as hell, like God Eater or Freedom Wars, it pays to develop for a system like PS4 or Vita that has higher graphics fidelity so you can have decent cel-shading, even if the market saturation isn't as thorough. I can respect that they want to meet the expectations of a demographic. I'll probably buy the PC version of God Eater when it comes out later this summer.

3DS was lightning in a bottle for Capcom with Monster Hunter, though. The Japanese version of Monster Hunter 4U sold 1.6 million copies in the first 2 days it was on the market. Compare that to Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii, which despite the Wii's market saturation only sold about that many copies over the course of like 3 years.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Patter Song posted:

There's lots of gems on the Wii U that'd never get an NX support because they failed to sell the first time around. I doubt you'd see excellent games like DKC Returns: Tropical Freeze or Wonderful 101 remastered for NX if they went that route.

Bad sales is actually a good reason to do a re-release, especially if it's a fairly easy recompile for the most part, especially for games like DKCR and W101 which are really good, but just didn't catch on the first time. A re-release is a good reason to do another marketing push and launch promotion, and is much cheaper than developing a game in the first place, of course. Usually what prevents rereleases is rights issues or being a complete critical flop as well as sales flop, indicating nobody is interested in it at all.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Straight up, I think if you try and sell people on any Wii U title with "Runs smoother! 1080p! NO NEED FOR SCREEN CONTROLLER!!" they'll get it in a heartbeat. It'll make Splatoon and Mario Maker worse for sure but every single other game will just get more attention.

Just make a budget Mario Maker title that just lets you play levels. I rarely make levels in that game....

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I wish they did more asymmetric multiplayer with the WiiU. A boss mode where the gamepad player could play the Brawl bosses, Yellow Devil, Metal Face, and Ridley in Smash 4 would've kicked rear end.

Or a Mario Maker / Pictochat stage where the gamepad player could place and draw up obstacles.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Bee posted:

I wish they did more asymmetric multiplayer with the WiiU. A boss mode where the gamepad player could play the Brawl bosses, Yellow Devil, Metal Face, and Ridley in Smash 4 would've kicked rear end.

Or a Mario Maker / Pictochat stage where the gamepad player could place and draw up obstacles.

They really wanted to get into asymmetrical game play but never did. I was exited for it but all it turned into was everyone using a different controller. Okay so I'm using the game pad, my Joe is using the GamePad-U Bill is using the Gamepad+ attached to a wii controller, stick just kinda chilling on his lap, and Fred is using a wii controller because he's weird and likes to play Mario Kart that way even though I have a perfectly good nun-chuck.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's hard for me to imagine Nintendo abandoning the 3DS if the NX is supposedly going to also be portable in some way. Maybe the 3DS acts as the gamepad for the NX which would be amazing if it weren't for the fact that the 3DS doesn't have two legit analogue sticks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

katkillad2 posted:

It's hard for me to imagine Nintendo abandoning the 3DS if the NX is supposedly going to also be portable in some way. Maybe the 3DS acts as the gamepad for the NX which would be amazing if it weren't for the fact that the 3DS doesn't have two legit analogue sticks.

Considering the Wii U is the first Nintendo console to have a controller with two legit analog sticks, I don't think it's a given the NX will.

Nintendon't care 'bout FPSes.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Soul Glo posted:

Considering the Wii U is the first Nintendo console to have a controller with two legit analog sticks, I don't think it's a given the NX will.

Nintendon't care 'bout FPSes.

The Gamecube controller would like to have a word with you.

Also the Wii Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The second stick on the GameCube was actually digital. However the Wii classic controller had two analogs. Also Wii remote was better for fps than twin stick by far.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Instant Sunrise posted:

The Gamecube controller would like to have a word with you.

Also the Wii Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro

I asked it but I couldn't take its answer seriously with that ridiculous C nub.

The Wii had the classic controller, sure, but it didn't come with the system.

I'm just sayin', given Nintendo's history, it's even odds whether or not the NX will feature a controller like most mainstream consoles. The 3DS might very well be a fine controller for whatever they're releasing (though I don't think it'll be supported into the NX beyond a secondary pillar a la the GBA).

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Both the the Wii and the WiiU leaned really havily on re-releases for their first year or two (Wii with games like Pikmin getting re-released with Wii controls, WiiU with Wind Waker HD and a level pack for New Super Mario Bros being its big first-party offerings) so it should go without saying that this will happen.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Both the the Wii and the WiiU leaned really havily on re-releases for their first year or two (Wii with games like Pikmin getting re-released with Wii controls, WiiU with Wind Waker HD and a level pack for New Super Mario Bros being its big first-party offerings) so it should go without saying that this will happen.

Nintendo has also made a pretty big deal about how they underestimated how much work it was to make games in HD and how it killed all their production estimates and timelines and this is why the Wii U had nothing for like 2 years after launch. I guarantee you that they will release new, original games based on their best IPs at a faster clip than they did for the U, because they know if they don't they're going to flop again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy Mann posted:

level pack for New Super Mario Bros

New Super Mario Bros. U isn't a level pack; its a sequel. You don't have to have the Wii version to get U.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The 3DS is pretty clearly in its final year itself, although it's taking the "going out with a bang" approach and having a pretty amazing going away party.

I tend to side not with the "hybrid" crowd (one system that's both handheld and console) but with the "one family of systems" crowd (two different systems under the NX label, a handheld and a console that plays most of the same games in HD with post-processing effects etc.). You could easily extend that to "an NX Handheld working as a spare controller for NX Console."

The NX Handheld in this model could easily have a GPU something crazy like 25 times more powerful than the 3DS' without breaking the bank or battery life problems, due to the ridiculous leaps forward in portable technology. If they gave up the 3D, especially.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

3d's got to go.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
New Super Mario U is the best and has a gently caress ton more content than New Super Mario Wii. It does have a DLC level pack though.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I love the gamepad for the zeldas too. The second screen with touch capabilities and a map is just so good for that series.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Patter Song posted:

The 3DS is pretty clearly in its final year itself

Pokemon GO sealed its fate.

:chanpop:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

wayne curr posted:

Damnnnnn.

Any estimated dollar number Pokémon Go is making? I know Fallout Shelter made way more than any one was expecting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Patter Song posted:

The 3DS is pretty clearly in its final year itself, although it's taking the "going out with a bang" approach and having a pretty amazing going away party.

I tend to side not with the "hybrid" crowd (one system that's both handheld and console) but with the "one family of systems" crowd (two different systems under the NX label, a handheld and a console that plays most of the same games in HD with post-processing effects etc.). You could easily extend that to "an NX Handheld working as a spare controller for NX Console."

The NX Handheld in this model could easily have a GPU something crazy like 25 times more powerful than the 3DS' without breaking the bank or battery life problems, due to the ridiculous leaps forward in portable technology. If they gave up the 3D, especially.

If it wasn't because of how big the hype for the home console is due to the Wii U flop i'd probably be living every day hyped for the next handheld, I love my 3DS and what's yet to come for it and all the titles I still need to get but goddamn the leap in in power to the next one will be amazing, like it's not even farfetched to expect a much longer battery life, 720p and a way stronger processor. It'll be so cool. :allears:

BexGu posted:

Damnnnnn.

Any estimated dollar number Pokémon Go is making? I know Fallout Shelter made way more than any one was expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7TK_nVdYU

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BexGu posted:

Any estimated dollar number Pokémon Go is making?

Note: i am bad at math and getting all my numbers from the first result in google.

here are the per player average spendings for 2015's top mobile games

idk if these are averaged among all people who pay or all players total but i assume people who pay. the estimate of people who pay for in app purchase according to google is 2%. the average paid among the top games is 87 dollars.

Pokemon go has 7.5 million US downloads as of today

2 percent of 7.5 million is 150,000. x 87 dollars is 13.05 million dollars if pokemon go is just an average game. assuming it is a market leader making 500 from its whales you got 75 million

again: i am not good at math and spent zero time looking these figures up

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 12, 2016

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

wayne curr posted:

God loving drat. I can't see myself playing it anytime soon since it's too loving hot to leave the house just to find imaginary critters, but they've obviously tapped into something. Every single person I know is playing it.

I'm not sure what this means for their future project, but I'll miss my 3DS and I really, really hope this doesn't mean they'll want me to play games on my lovely phone to get my handheld fix in the future. Hell, I still have bittersweet memories of my treasured GBA SP living in my pocket all through my senior year of college in case I got a few spare minutes in the day. It's the one piece of portable hardware I don't want merged into my smartphone.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

NO NEED FOR SCREEN CONTROLLER!!

This is never happening. One of the new Zelda's things is "Link has a magical tablet that he uses on his adventures" so dehumanize yourself and face to Wii U Gamepad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Why do people hate on the gamepad it's a really good controller and unlike the wiimote if you ignore its gimmick you're still left with a really good controller.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Battery Life

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I love the gamepad, but overall it taking extra resources and jacking up the console price didn't pan out.

Dr Cheeto posted:

This is never happening. One of the new Zelda's things is "Link has a magical tablet that he uses on his adventures" so dehumanize yourself and face to Wii U Gamepad.

Which, for the demo at least, isn't used in any capacity with the gamepad. It's a button to pull up your apps and then pick one, i'm sure for the full Wii U version you'll be allowed to just tap it but they already showed at E3 how it could work without the gamepad, all you need is a standard controller with a gyro in it (like the PS4) and you're 1:1 with the E3 demo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr Cheeto posted:

This is true but the gamepad doesn't do poo poo in the demo and it sounds like they've excised most of the planned second-screen elements when they decided to make it a cross-generation game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

Why do people hate on the gamepad

its like 50% of the cost of the console and was justified in only a handful of titles.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Meldonox posted:

God loving drat. I can't see myself playing it anytime soon since it's too loving hot to leave the house just to find imaginary critters, but they've obviously tapped into something. Every single person I know is playing it.

I'm not sure what this means for their future project, but I'll miss my 3DS and I really, really hope this doesn't mean they'll want me to play games on my lovely phone to get my handheld fix in the future. Hell, I still have bittersweet memories of my treasured GBA SP living in my pocket all through my senior year of college in case I got a few spare minutes in the day. It's the one piece of portable hardware I don't want merged into my smartphone.

I think this will, at most, make Nintendo soften their stance to licensing their properties out for smartphone use. I find it highly unlikely they're going to abandon the handheld market, because they own the handheld market. Plus, I remain of the opinion that the majority of phone games are good for killing a few minutes in line or on the toilet, but are generally not something you'd want to play for extended periods for its own sake. (Yes, there's good phone games, but how many Candy Crush clones are you willing to slog through to find them?)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If you don't like taking the gamepad to bed with you for a few last minutes of gaming before bedtime then I don't wanna loving know you

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

If you don't like taking the gamepad to bed with you for a few last minutes of gaming before bedtime then I don't wanna loving know you

My 3ds has more games I still want to play.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

If you're playing more than 4-5 hours at a time and running the battery dry...you can just plug it the charging cable and keep playing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

its like 50% of the cost of the console and was justified in only a handful of titles.

$150 horn button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

Why do people hate on the gamepad it's a really good controller and unlike the wiimote if you ignore its gimmick you're still left with a really good controller.

Just for me personally, I love the Gamepad. It feels a bit weird in your hands at first because it's so wide, but it's become one of my favorite controllers.

I wish the left and right triggers were analog, just because I'm about 90% sure that the reason behind the lack of Gamecube VC is the lack of that functionality, but otherwise I have no issue with it.

On a different subject, I recently started playing Twilight Princess HD, with no prior playing of Twilight Princess (though I have watched bits of LPs of it). It's not as bad as people say it is, at least so far (I'm to the start of Goron Mines)...but it's a game that keeps feeling like it has the potential to be great and just isn't. I did get that exact same feeling from Wind Waker HD and it stayed through most of the game, though...Wind Waker's charm for me was like 90% aesthetic.

I do have a real question, though. Twilight Princess HD's character models are ugly. I don't mean they're poorly-made, I mean that it seems like everyone in Hyrule except Link and Zelda were beaten with the ugly stick. Even the Gorons look hideous. I recently played OOT3D (about half a year ago) and the character models were more primitive but had actual charm to them. Why is this game full of people who look like they were swimming on the shallow end of the gene pool?

• Locked thread