Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

neurotypicals don't care about "camera bump"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they're actually removing it due to the depth of the port, not the thickness. by removing a part that's half an inch or so long internally they can put in more battery. so, yeah, it does have positive benefits.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

no, that can't be, the feverish dogpile must be right

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I would rather have a headphone port than 20 minutes more battery

I don't really care about dual speakers, put the loving port on top if you have to

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

i'm looking forward to another $30 dongle that breaks after minimal use thanks to apple's legendary quality control and design

I'm gonna ride or die with my 6s plus

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

lightning headphones have better audio quality. let go of the floppy drive

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

triple sulk posted:

I would rather have a headphone port than 20 minutes more battery

I don't really care about dual speakers, put the loving port on top if you have to

And nearly all users would want more battery life, headphone port, no camera bump, and would accept marginally increased thickness to get it. No one has cared how thick their phone is in like 5 years because under 10mm is fine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

as long as the se line continues to have a headphone jack, all will be well in the world

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

maniacdevnull posted:

And nearly all users would want more battery life, headphone port, no camera bump, and would accept marginally increased thickness to get it. No one has cared how thick their phone is in like 5 years because under 10mm is fine

my source for this is

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

zen death robot posted:

audiophile earbuds

lightning headphones provide their own dac and amp

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Toady posted:

(conveniently forgets water resistance)

my Sony Xperia Z3 has a 3.5mm headphone jack and it's entirely waterproof. as in I have taken it underwater in lakes and rivers, washed it in the sink, etc. There's some kind of nanotech hydrophobic coating that seals it up.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

my Sony Xperia Z3 has a 3.5mm headphone jack and it's entirely waterproof. as in I have taken it underwater in lakes and rivers, washed it in the sink, etc. There's some kind of nanotech hydrophobic coating that seals it up.

iirc the iphone 6 also uses silicon seals, but no need if there's no jack

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Toady posted:

this is what it was like when apple removed the floppy disk drive. nerds will never stop being weirdly conservative and wrong about technology

Nerds are the only people saying this is a good thing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Toady posted:

lightning headphones provide their own dac and amp

*$75 headphones' lightning plug breaks irreparably*

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

zzzzzz

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Nerds are the only people saying this is a good thing

nerds are the ones obsessed with "camera bump" and "i can't use wireless anything whatsoever, it has garbage bitrate and audible artifacting." we both know neurotypicals will just use the buds that come with the phone or an adapter

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
who even uses headphones anymore, wtf?

you play your music as loud as you can for everyone on the bus to enjoy

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

*$75 headphones' lightning plug breaks irreparably*

how is that different from a 3.5mm cable breaking

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Beast of Bourbon posted:

who even uses headphones anymore, wtf?

you play your music as loud as you can for everyone on the bus to enjoy

you don't need a headphone port for the bluetooth speaker clipped to your belt

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Toady posted:

how is that different from a 3.5mm cable breaking

3.5mm cables aren't universally known for breaking

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

people go through 3.5mm cables all the time

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

only trash people burn thru 3.5mm cabels

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

repairing a 3.5mm cable is trivial for anyone with a soldering iron

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

3.5mm cables aren't universally known for breaking

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12870

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i can get 6 lightning cables for $10 here in shenzhen and they work ok

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

repairing a 3.5mm cable is trivial for anyone with a soldering iron

eh, my main problem is that i sweat through headphones like 4 pairs a year running, no matter the brand. to fix them i have to take them apart and wash the gross sweat salt out them and re solder everything and its not worth it. i am mostly worried i will have to buy 4 pairs of headphones for $70 with a lightning cable instead of 4 pairs of headphones for $20-30.

fart simpson posted:

i can get 6 lightning cables for $10 here in shenzhen and they work ok

are they mfi certified or will they be randomly excluded by software incompatibility lockout?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toady posted:

iirc the iphone 6 also uses silicon seals, but no need if there's no jack

it's the 6s, which has a silicone gasket around the inside and all the electronic bits are waterproofed inside.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

C.H.O.M.E posted:

are they mfi certified or will they be randomly excluded by software incompatibility lockout?

the fact that the cables have to be "certified" to work is dumb and keeps prices high

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple brand cables are certifiably bad and will break in ways that no cable should break.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

C.H.O.M.E posted:

idk probably but i didnt have any problems

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you want one of those inline microphones on your headphones you have to pay a royalty to apple for some reason

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

qirex posted:

so are new macbooks pro really not happening until fall? my nearly 6-year-old air just threw a "service battery" warning
mine gave that warning but still worked 100% fine for like 2 years after

and even now it's still fine, the battery just dies quick

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
apple is anorexic :( tragic

you show tim a picture of a gaunt iphone with its camera jutting out and all he sees is a fat bloated piece of worthless poo poo IT HAS TO LOSE 2 MORE GRAMS OR IT'LL NEVER BE PRETTY

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the 950s are like $350 brand new with a dual sim on ebay. hmmzorz

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Extremely smart and well-adjusted computer man: It's actually really good that with the latest iPhone model, you will have to pay $600 or whatever + $100 for a bluetooth headphones just to play music at the gym or when you walk or something, instead of $600 + use one of the 9 pairs of headphones everyone has had lying around for the past 30 years

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But seriously my iPhone 6 has horrible battery life compared to my last phone, and that was a Note 2 that was starting to have hardware failures. It's smaller and lighter but the touch screen is less accurate, and thumbing the finger print scanner is for some reason a different input than swiping up from the bottom edge of the screen, so if you touch it even a little when you try to open the control center nothing happens. The only thing the iPhone has going for it is the screen seems harder to scratch and the radio's a little better

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what if you want to listen to music, charge your phone and your ipencil at the same time

if you want a picture of the future, imagine dongles daisy chained together, forever

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

apple brand cables are certifiably bad and will break in ways that no cable should break.

shagger was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

• Locked thread