Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Circa-2007 D&D's favorite political pundit, Al Giordano, has been making rumblings on Twitter about either primarying Bernie or outright running against him as a Democrat in two years. I don't think it's a stretch to assume he would be completely destroyed if he actually moved from Mexico to Vermont to run.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

that dude is crazy. if you tweet at him, he will try to log into your account a bunch of times to get it locked.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie has quite a history of destroying carpetbaggers brought in to unseat him.

Giordano would do particularly poorly because his base of support is too woke twitter, which consists of approximately zero residents of Vermont.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, that certainly puts IN in play.

https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/752502485525430272

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Isn't he awful, and are you joking or serious?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

silvergoose posted:

Oh, he's the dictionary definition of a third way Democrat, but I'm not joking about him making IN competitive this year.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Joementum posted:

Oh, he's the dictionary definition of a third way Democrat, but I'm not joking about him making IN competitive this year.

Yup figured and great! It was a fully serious question. :unsmith:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I've been looking for it for years does anyone have the political cartoon of Evan Bayh surfboarding out of a helicopter as he retires from the senate?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I mean things are changing but if you want to get a reddish state blue it's still third way or no loving way.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
LOL. "One more, this time look tired and smug"

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So Baron Hill is gonna just step aside? Was he looking for an excuse to get out of walking 500 miles across the state?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

silvergoose posted:

he'd be awful if he was running in New England, but in red states "will not vote for mitch mcconnell as majority leader" is really the only thing you need in a senator

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pathetic little tramp posted:

I've been looking for it for years does anyone have the political cartoon of Evan Bayh surfboarding out of a helicopter as he retires from the senate?

Although I do much prefer this version:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Evan Bayh really hosed up by retiring when he did. He very well might've held on even in 2010 (he might have scared Coats out of running) and he'd be very senior now.

Bayh would make the race competitive (it is an open seat and he's still personally popular), but starting a Senate bid in July is really last-minute and he could run into some serious trouble getting his campaign apparatus up and running.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Patter Song posted:

Evan Bayh really hosed up by retiring when he did. He very well might've held on even in 2010 (he might have scared Coats out of running) and he'd be very senior now.

He'll have to console himself by crying into the enormous piles of money he's made for doing nothing the last eight years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Patter Song posted:

Bayh would make the race competitive (it is an open seat and he's still personally popular), but starting a Senate bid in July is really last-minute and he could run into some serious trouble getting his campaign apparatus up and running.

Eh, he's not exactly new to the process which would help him get things running quickly. I'm just leery of a return of blue dogs and the like who demand snowflake handouts in legislation because they know they're the 51st/60th vote. I'd rather go back to earmarks where the party can tell Bayh his loving state is losing a military base or something if he doesn't get in line. Granted, folks like him are better than nothing but their role as "winning vote" can go to their head with disastrous consequences. The only real way to get around that problem is to make them irrelevant with a bigger majority.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Isn't Bayh a lovely campaigner? I remember him being a Jack Conway type.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The worst part about Evan Bayh is that his dad Birch Bayh was a loving awesome senator.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

...not really, considering he had a lockgrip on a Senate seat as a Democrat in Indiana. I mean, you can knock parts of his style but winning is really all that matters.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

whydirt posted:

The worst part about Evan Bayh is that his dad Birch Bayh was a loving awesome senator.

Imagine I posted BirchBayh-jogging.jpg here as support for your position.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Patter Song posted:

He has like $10m cash on hand, should help a bit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Yeah, CNN is reporting that he still has $10m in his Senate account that was never disbursed from 2010.

Evan Bayh + Presidential Year + lots of money is about as good as it is ever going to get for Dems in Indiana unless they can find a way to make Richard Mourdock the Republican nominee again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just what the Senate needs! Another piece of poo poo.

The X-man cometh posted:

He's a worse person.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Ballz posted:

Although I do much prefer this version:

Thank you, it was a bi-plane, maybe that's why I didn't remember it.

Seriously thought the second version was the real one.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Bernie has quite a history of destroying carpetbaggers brought in to unseat him.

Giordano would do particularly poorly because his base of support is too woke twitter, which consists of approximately zero residents of Vermont.

Also he's gonna run out of supporters after he blocks them all from his twitter feed.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

whydirt posted:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Just what the Senate needs! Another piece of poo poo.

The alternative is an ex-Heritage Foundation employee. Bayh is gross, but his opponent is worse.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

at least for the next two congresses, conservative democrats are absolutely the only path to a blue majority, with all the 'are completely not liberals at all' baggage that entails. the presidential map is more liberal than the senatorial or house maps, sad but true

and the days of progressive/left-of-center/not-republican/whatever the hell we mean when we say liberal in 21st century america politicians from states like indiana are simply over, i bet if birch was around now we'd either never have heard of him or he'd have his son's ideology

if there are exceptions please let me know, it'd warm my heart, i just feel like this is how the world works

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Jul 12, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's annoying to dictate cartoon edits but this is way above my skill level: I would like to see a panel 3 where Hillary puts the plane into a Split S and a panel 4 where Evan Bayh is back in the plane, maybe upside down.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Speaking as a farther left Democrat than most and native Hoosier, I would absolutely cry with joy if Bayh got the seat over another shitlord Tea Partier who will do nothing and use statewide influence to gut the last of the good things left in the state

He's not perfect but the choice isn't progressive versus third wayer, it's third way versus lunatic loving tea partier

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Speaking as a farther left Democrat than most and native Hoosier, I would absolutely cry with joy if Bayh got the seat over another shitlord Tea Partier who will do nothing and use statewide influence to gut the last of the good things left in the state

He's not perfect but the choice isn't progressive versus third wayer, it's third way versus lunatic loving tea partier

It's really weird how many lefties looked at the tea party and decided retard purity tests was the way forward.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Bayh isn't really lovely because he's not ideologically pure, he's lovely because he's a slimy profiteer who make grandiose noises about the integrity of the system and wanting to go do something useful like teach when he left the senate and immediately took lobbying jobs.

Like, he was basically on board for Obama's agenda, that wasn't the problem with him.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Bayh isn't really lovely because he's not ideologically pure, he's lovely because he's a slimy profiteer who make grandiose noises about the integrity of the system and wanting to go do something useful like teach when he left the senate and immediately took lobbying jobs.

Like, he was basically on board for Obama's agenda, that wasn't the problem with him.

usually the voters fail to punish politicians for doing that kind of poo poo. maybe it'll end up hamstringing bayh's campaign though, it's not impossible. i feel like when the advertising money's even, your average voter just gets bewildered by the amount of mud being slung around and loses the capacity to identify and punish this sort of behavior

as far as responding in non-horserace fashion, here's an appetizer of word salad: i think that politicians are a lot like athletes in that you should really keep them all at more than arm's length because yeah, it's easy to hate the ones you hear about who are bad, but there are so many more who just haven't been revealed for who they really are yet, and the ones who are good people don't need your love in the first place

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Epic High Five posted:

Actually, he's a mainstream Republican, the tea partier got vanquished in the primaries.

This is definitely a game changer but we'll have to see what the polls say before people consider it anything more than lean R. Indiana might even be one of those states where Trump plays better than he does nationally, though he'll obviously not be as good as a regular Republican, even there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Indiana is a poo poo-tier state so they should be thrilled with the best garbage quality politician they could possibly get.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Actually, he's a mainstream Republican, the tea partier got vanquished in the primaries.

This is definitely a game changer but we'll have to see what the polls say before people consider it anything more than lean R. Indiana might even be one of those states where Trump plays better than he does nationally, though he'll obviously not be as good as a regular Republican, even there.

Mainstream isn't much better, just look at the official platform that's been approved. Young has pretty much voted in lockstep with the worst of the bunch in the House and I don't see him doing any different in the Senate

As for EV implications, I'm less concerned. I just want to get some Democrats round hurr so that we can hopefully get Right to Work off the books and stop the nonstop headlines of being a national embarrassment with the poo poo Pence and his stooges try to keep passing. If Clinton gets Indiana she'll have probably gotten GA and AZ before that so it'd just be an afterthought

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I meant Trump's performance effecting turnout downballot. If Trump has to fight for Indiana he's already hosed anyway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Indiana is a poo poo-tier state so they should be thrilled with the best garbage quality politician they could possibly get.

From everything I've heard about Indiana it's a stealth pick for worst state in the country.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
why is there no 2016 gubernatorial races thread :colbert:https://twitter.com/Lynn_Bonner/status/752903028378836992very glad to not be a TV ad watcher in NC this fall, given the pres race swingy-ness, the tight gov race, and the tight race btw Burr/Ross...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
also, not much of a race, but grassley up by 10
https://twitter.com/IAStartingLine/status/752919020911812608

• Locked thread