Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

unseenlibrarian posted:

And the visual guide to Force Awakens namechecks several planets on Luke's map as Old Republic things. (I think Space Ireland might actually have been Tython, or else Tython was on the itinerary.)

Tython is a core world. The Emperor took it over and basically wiped out the temple according to canon, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

FFG isn't concerned with canon, at all. If it's cool they will add it. XWing and LCG proved that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Forged In Battle preview
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/11/fight-in-the-front-lines/

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Gonna guess the Heavy is pretty much just the Heavy from the Hired Gun book, but it'll be nice to be able to grab the spec without paying extra if I want to get my SWTOR commando on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

unseenlibrarian posted:

Gonna guess the Heavy is pretty much just the Heavy from the Hired Gun book, but it'll be nice to be able to grab the spec without paying extra if I want to get my SWTOR commando on.

Yeah, every so often a Spec tree gets reprinted under a different Career. I'm of two minds about it...one the one hand it totally makes sense for the Soldier to get a Heavy spec cause who doesn't wanna play as this guy:

But I do wish things were a bit more unique between Careers

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Iceclaw posted:

Is it still part of the Euw-Ro P system though?

Depends if it's in the north or not.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
How do you drug people in this game? I know the rules for how people have to fight off toxins and so on (resilience checks) but how do you apply them?

If you're in combat, do you brawl/melee check with an injector/syringe? Is a medicine check used? Are there dart guns for the drugs that can be applied through darts?

I'm planning a doctor that likes to do drugs and also make other people do drugs with him.

Do any of the supplement books have systems for dealing with drug chemistry in the same way that Special Modifications does gear customization?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Surely it's just 'make a melee or brawl check' and apply some appropriate drugged effect? Don't load the system down with even more rules if you don't have to, it's got plenty.

If you're going to include medicine check do it before the fight probably when the toxin gets made.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Cool, I was just wondering what kind of check it was. I have no intention to make it more complicated than it has to be.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm having complicated feelings about this game after the last session. It's kind of not clicking for me, and that's making me more unhappy than I'd like because there are so many ideas in the system that I DO like. (Also I love the Campaign podcast and it's making me super sad that I can't have fun like they do, even though they never roll dice so, uh.)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

What problem are you having dawg

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
A couple of things.

I think the biggest thing is that it's a system that trends towards fairly big, damaging hits with lots of swings to lethality and that feels pretty not star wars to me. It also means that you have the result of the earlier discussion, where you kind of have to customise fights to parcel off a brute enemy against the combat monster PC, which I think leads to the less combat PCs feeling a bit unheroic.

Relatedly, I had a science guy player, and every fight scene was him asking what he could hack or use engineering on to help out. This really stretched the credibility boundary at times (in a deep cave), and the player ended up respeccing his entire character to have some combat oomf. He decided to focus on grenade tossing because it's at least different to being another guy with a blaster or the melee PC, but it felt sad to me that it came to that.

That kind of sucks to me a bit. I guess it's partly because I've just come off a strike campaign that keeps the combat and the non combat skills basically completely seperate when it comes to spending advances, but at least each of the PCs can feel unique and useful in any situation and I guess I just like it when everyone can always find a good way to contribute (note, I don't think my players are too bothered, it's just me).

I think there's something of an uncomfortable mix in the system between it being a cool narrative system and also a pretty crunchy one and I don't feel they always work in concert particularly well despite this seeming like a draw to me initially. The whole aspect of coming up with fun twists of fate is great, but then you've got the enormous list of weapon mods and bonus dice and negative dice cancelling from a dozen different sources and it all feels like it's starting to bog down pretty quickly. Actually interpreting the dice rolls is fine, figuring out where everything is coming from seems to be escalating rapidly.

I think it's also been weirdly tricky keeping action scenes interesting, which I'll blame on myself as much as the system because it ends up with teams squaring off too much, but those mostly static difficulties means everythings a big loving hit, you see far too many straight up success with loads of advantage on both sides, and thats pretty hard for players to keep interesting narratively. Even with everyone working hard to come up with interesting descriptions for what combat represents it boils down way too often to "he is shot and the guy next to him exposes himself to danger somehow" - Maybe we've just had weird luck with the despair roles, but even throwing darkside at the players hasn't offered huge opportunities for big twists from the dice once you go into initiative, and "I shoot them and now smoke blinds them!" gets pretty boring pretty fast.

I dunno, that last session was very long and felt frustrating by the end, so it's probably tainted things, but I think I'm ready to stomp on over to a * world game.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 12, 2016

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

ShineDog posted:

I think the biggest thing is that it's a system that trends towards fairly big, damaging hits with lots of swings to lethality and that feels pretty not star wars to me. It also means that you have the result of the earlier discussion, where you kind of have to customise fights to parcel off a brute enemy against the combat monster PC, which I think leads to the less combat PCs feeling a bit unheroic.

The way I've been working on my campaign is coming up with NPCs to antagonize each of the players in ways that they're weak in and/or relating to their obligations/duties.
For example, the brooding combat-focused soldier with addictions meets a spunky, charismatic fling who occasionally pops up and tries to pull him deeper into his addictions and away from the party and his duties to the Rebellion.

ShineDog posted:

Relatedly, I had a science guy player, and every fight scene was him asking what he could hack or use engineering on to help out. This really stretched the credibility boundary at times (in a deep cave), and the player ended up respeccing his entire character to have some combat oomf. He decided to focus on grenade tossing because it's at least different to being another guy with a blaster or the melee PC, but it felt sad to me that it came to that.

I feel like a 'science guy' should be bringing gadgets and other tools with him, give him use computers/engineering checks to scan weird creatures for weaknesses, map cavern tunnels, maybe he's got the Aliens-style motion detector and needs to relay the information to the rest of the party, etc. Shooting a light blaster pistol or something is fine and all, but if he's defining his character as a 'science guy' he should definitely have some science things to do regardless of location, but if there isn't tech where he goes, maybe he should be bringing it with him.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ShineDog posted:

A couple of things.

That kind of sucks to me a bit. I guess it's partly because I've just come off a strike campaign that keeps the combat and the non combat skills basically completely seperate when it comes to spending advances, but at least each of the PCs can feel unique and useful in any situation and I guess I just like it when everyone can always find a good way to contribute (note, I don't think my players are too bothered, it's just me).

First off, its obviously not for everyone and some people are going to love it and some hate it so if it doesn't click with you for any reason thats fine. If its becoming more of a drag to run then I'd suggest taking a break and trying something else tbh. Your complaint about the high damage is absolutely something I agree with. The game seems to suggest that player should be down on the ground every fight or pumping a tonne of drugs into their system all the time. One thing suggestion I got from this thread was to just ignore stimpacks altogether and have people just second wind for the same decreasing effect. It means your just trading a +1 blue dice or a move or something minor to heal off back from an attack.

It's also definitely a system that is about a rotating spotlight rather than a group spotlight. Its okay that Han doesn't have poo poo to do during the attack on Hoth because Luke's the Ace pilot and Leia is the Commander leading everyone. Thats okay because they're about to pile onto the Falcon and his character is going to take the lead. I found scenario building was what help the most because I started specifically around thinking whose character should be taking the spotlight at any point in time and making sure I have some clear transitions in mind for Triumph/Despair that hands the spotlight off to someone else.

I'm not sure what you mean by credibility boundary, having him have stuff to hack and engineer when that stuff wouldn't be around? I'm not sure how much of that is a system issue or not. Could you elaborate ?

ShineDog posted:

I think there's something of an uncomfortable mix in the system between it being a cool narrative system and also a pretty crunchy one and I don't feel they always work in concert particularly well despite this seeming like a draw to me initially. The whole aspect of coming up with fun twists of fate is great, but then you've got the enormous list of weapon mods and bonus dice and negative dice cancelling from a dozen different sources and it all feels like it's starting to bog down pretty quickly. Actually interpreting the dice rolls is fine, figuring out where everything is coming from seems to be escalating rapidly.

Yeah I cant disagree with this either, all I can really say is don't really stress too much about where dice modifiers are coming from, just accept your players know their characters and trust them to track that poo poo. It's the FFG bloat they do with all their games unfortunately.

ShineDog posted:

I think it's also been weirdly tricky keeping action scenes interesting, which I'll blame on myself as much as the system because it ends up with teams squaring off too much, but those mostly static difficulties means everythings a big loving hit, you see far too many straight up success with loads of advantage on both sides, and thats pretty hard for players to keep interesting narratively. Even with everyone working hard to come up with interesting descriptions for what combat represents it boils down way too often to "he is shot and the guy next to him exposes himself to danger somehow" - Maybe we've just had weird luck with the despair roles, but even throwing darkside at the players hasn't offered huge opportunities for big twists from the dice once you go into initiative, and "I shoot them and now smoke blinds them!" gets pretty boring pretty fast.

I dunno, that last session was very long and felt frustrating by the end, so it's probably tainted things, but I think I'm ready to stomp on over to a * world game.

Seriously the only important piece of advice I should give is that you never, ever make a fight scene where the goal is simply 'kill everything and move on'. Thats going to bog down and make your game way more difficult to come up with interesting things for everyone to do and see. Every fight should be a part of the longer term goal. You dont stop to fight a group of stormtroopers, you are fighting them because they are in the hanger you're trying to escape through. It means everyone always has doors they can open and lock up arbitrarily at the very least. If you look at star wars theres almost never a static battle in the trilogy. It's always; we are trying to escape stormtroopers, rescue a princess, flee from a star destroyer. The static battles are still always built around a couple of clear cut goals on the side of the heroes, 'get a ship down the deathstar trench', 'protect the escaping rebel ships on hoth', 'get the shield generator down and flee into the deathstar' etc.

I don't know if my rants help or make it less appealing. If you're feeling frustrated or just not enjoying it though, nothing wrong with trying something else v0v

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Pyronic posted:

The way I've been working on my campaign is coming up with NPCs to antagonize each of the players in ways that they're weak in and/or relating to their obligations/duties.
For example, the brooding combat-focused soldier with addictions meets a spunky, charismatic fling who occasionally pops up and tries to pull him deeper into his addictions and away from the party and his duties to the Rebellion.

Oh man, I am totally stealing that idea. That sounds awesome.

ShineDog posted:

I've experienced this a bit, and for me it's been because I've found all of the available character sheets to be awful. I wound up designing my own so that I could have all of the relevant information on one neatly organized page, and that's helped a lot.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Speaking of non-combat characters, what's a good way to make a mechanic viable? Like at all? I'm not necessarily talking in a combat sense since i'm not worrying about that. But i mean like outside of upgrading the group's stuff and maybe making the ship (which since space battles suck we hardly use for more than a taxi) better, they don't get to do very much? At least the commander in AOR could give inspiring speeches to people for a free blue dice.

This is working with just EOTE books and the mechanics source book that came out a bit ago by the way.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How does the jedi classes match up against the core classes in terms of balance?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Salvage? Having a mechanic around should turn a smoking wreck of a crashed ship into a pile of money.

Alternatively, crafting. By the standards set in Special Modifications (and in Keeping the Peace), some downtime and a mechanics check cuts the price of stuff in half.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

How does the jedi classes match up against the core classes in terms of balance?

Less skills to begin with but they get access to force powers which in the long term are way better than everything except Signature Abilities but obviously have a big xp cost attached to getting to that point. For the vast majority of the game they'll be pretty much on par with everyone else really.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Speaking of non-combat characters, what's a good way to make a mechanic viable? Like at all? I'm not necessarily talking in a combat sense since i'm not worrying about that. But i mean like outside of upgrading the group's stuff and maybe making the ship (which since space battles suck we hardly use for more than a taxi) better, they don't get to do very much? At least the commander in AOR could give inspiring speeches to people for a free blue dice.

This is working with just EOTE books and the mechanics source book that came out a bit ago by the way.

They are pretty fantastic when around any kind of technology and loving with tech in general. Bad motivator is a unbelievably strong ability in any kind of stealth,talky section or even to completely end a potential confrontation before it starts. The distinction of a 'device' is so general its basically up there with the force powers. The same deal comes into play with Contraption talent as its also something you essentially allowing the mechanic to be a solve any missing skillset the party may have out of thin air. They also combo very well as a general purpose pilot especially when your flying something that isn't specifically about your gunnery and more about just needing to be a big health buffer or if you want to pick up pilot later.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 12, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

DJ Dizzy posted:

kingcom posted:

Less skills to begin with but they get access to force powers which in the long term are way better than everything except Signature Abilities but obviously have a big xp cost attached to getting to that point. For the vast majority of the game they'll be pretty much on par with everyone else really.

Also noteworthy, I've found in general that the jedi trees just aren't as good as similar ones. Jedi really do need their powers to actually stay equal, in my opinion.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You said not necessarily combat, but in that regard: Mechanics get Brawl, and the crafting rules in Special Modifications let you build your choice of neat poo poo into your not-quite-Shock-Gloves. Alternatively, Modder gets Gunnery, and you have a couple options there: Gyrostabilizer to reduce the Brawn needed to shoot the big guns, or the Repulsor Rifle from Lords of Nal Hutta which has no Cumbersome rating.

I've been thinking a bit lately on how to do a heavy-stun gimmick. That Repulsor Rifle looks mighty tasty, and if I want to spend points on Melee (or a specialization that gets it), there are a lot of ways to cram stun damage fun onto a crafted Powered Melee Weapon as per SM.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 12, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also noteworthy, I've found in general that the jedi trees just aren't as good as similar ones. Jedi really do need their powers to actually stay equal, in my opinion.

Yeah thats a fair call though its changing a bit in the new source books, ultimately they really dont get the real character defining talents many of the other classes get.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You said not necessarily combat, but in that regard: Mechanics get Brawl, and the crafting rules in Special Modifications let you build your choice of neat poo poo into your not-quite-Shock-Gloves. Alternatively, Modder gets Gunnery, and you have a couple options there: Gyrostabilizer to reduce the Brawn needed to shoot the big guns, or the Repulsor Rifle from Lords of Nal Hutta which has no Cumbersome rating.

I've been thinking a bit lately on how to do a heavy-stun gimmick. That Repulsor Rifle looks mighty tasty, and if I want to spend points on Melee (or a specialization that gets it), there are a lot of ways to cram stun damage fun onto a crafted Powered Melee Weapon as per SM.

Alternatively, get a pair of those retractable vibroblades, build some powered armor, modify the poo poo out of all of it so you get speed/armor boosts, the built in bacta system, and can crit like a fiend, and then run around being robo-Wolverine who also has the powers of Forge. :black101:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
The demolitionist tree is also a good way for a high int mechanic to leverage some damage and improvise some explosives. It's quite effective.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

So the obvious weakness of a wookiee character is that low willpower makes it easy to lose out on the Fear Checks that the core rulebook suggests.

But being a fraidy-cat doesn't make sense with the character-concept the player currently has, which is a fearsome warrior who struggles with anger (I'm tickled that he's doing this, given that he's a nerdboy who almost always plays self-insert nerd characters of some description, a pattern that has previously irked me).

So I'm thinking of homebrewing up ~rage checks~ that he can make instead of fear checks, with somewhat different consequences for failure.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Just have him roll discipline to keep his rage in check, or to not be distracted by the meat, or whatever. Fear is the main thing the book uses to describe discipline, but not the only one. It also uses it as an example to discern truth from fiction, and more importantly, to overcome his biological instincts. You don't need a house rule!

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 16, 2016

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
You could substitute Brawn for Willpower instead. Maybe he gets such a strong shock of adrenaline in the face of something scary that he just hulks out instead. Maybe make him take some strain damage to compensate.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Besides, not every reaction of fear should be "Cower in a corner". I mean, fight or flight, right? So your super brawny but low willpower wookie might a powerhouse, he can get overwhelmed rather easily and resort to more instinctive behaviour.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I have a character concept I need some thoughts on.

A regular human who has absorbed so much radiation or other mojo that he has to lock himself up in a suit of armor in order to not die. My thoughts would be to use the droid chassis and the gadgeteer class.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

I have a character concept I need some thoughts on.

A regular human who has absorbed so much radiation or other mojo that he has to lock himself up in a suit of armor in order to not die. My thoughts would be to use the droid chassis and the gadgeteer class.

That sounds fine.
Given the strong canon precedent of General Grievous (very technically an organic but with a 99% droid body) I doubt your GM could object.

Even if he did, human + gadgeteer could work fine, though probably not as powerful in the long run as a droid or a gank cyborg.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 23, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

A gank cyborg? What?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

A gank cyborg? What?

Just in terms of ability to maximize the cybertech spec, I mean.

For a human the cybernetics cap is equal to your brawn, which you will be able to increase by a total of four as you progress through the cybertech tree. So you'd end up with 6-8 cybernetics slots to play around with.

Droids on the other hand get a starting cybernetics cap of 6 while ganks (playable humanoid species from Lords of Nal Hutta) get a starting cybernetics cap equal to brawn+3, meaning that with either of these choices you end up with more cybernetics slots in the long run, without having to dump starting XP into brawn.

All I'm saying is your species choice - droid - is one of the ideal pairings with cybertech, but your GM might try to argue you into going with a human, to befit your character's human brain and innards.

edit: somehow I read through your post too fast and thought I saw that you were thinking of the cybertech spec, where you actually said gadgeteer. My bad.
Still, cybertech is probably a spec to consider, given your character concept. It's built around cybernetics, which are good for representing the kind of hardware you might have in either a fancy medical support suit like Vader's or a full exoskeleton body like Grievous's.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 23, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I'm going to start as a gadgeteer, but will probably invest in the cyber tech at some point down the line.

When is the bounty hunter supplement coming out :argh:

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

I'm going to start as a gadgeteer, but will probably invest in the cyber tech at some point down the line.

When is the bounty hunter supplement coming out :argh:

There's also a cyborg specialization for Technician I believe, might be up your alley. You don't really need it, but it could help expand on keeping your new body in good shape (or improving it, even)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I made a dude. Should I get more brawn?
Weapon is an H-7 "Equalizer"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Could someone explain to me how slave circuit works? Does it really allow the ship to fly/shoot on its own using the owners stats?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

DandyLion posted:

Could someone explain to me how slave circuit works? Does it really allow the ship to fly/shoot on its own using the owners stats?

Yes, but the flying is only to fly to the owner's location, IIRC. The ship gets its owner's Piloting and Gunnery skills. It isn't going to be able to do Astrogation checks or whatever.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/26/what-will-you-do/

Galaxy map looks so nice.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yeah definitely, I've wanted a nice star wars map for a looong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I had a decent one from the defunct Star Wars Gamer mag, but no idea what happened to it. That makes this a must-buy for me.