Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dirt posted:

So do you think I need more work on the left hand technique(hammer on/pull offs), or the right hand timing of hitting the switch? What's more important here?

It looks so easy, but I promise it isn't.

Right hand, no doubt. Just keep one or two notes going with the left hand and work on rhythms until it just feels like picking, then you can start thinking about left hand stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

Right hand, no doubt. Just keep one or two notes going with the left hand and work on rhythms until it just feels like picking, then you can start thinking about left hand stuff.

I like your advise, and I will work on it more. Thanks man.

better than your favorite guitarist tho

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
why doesn't he use a backing band?

if i paid $35 only to see some dude jerking off to some mp3s i'd be pretty miffed

Dirt
May 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

why doesn't he use a backing band?

if i paid $35 only to see some dude jerking off to some mp3s i'd be pretty miffed

He does tours with just him and a drum machine a lot. But he also plays with tons of other "bands" where it is a full band setup. Just depends on the tour.
I've seen him a bunch in different settings/lineups.

The best was when it was him and That1guy (another solo artist, who plays a crazy homemade instrument) as the Frankenstein Brothers. That was the weirdest/best concert I have ever been to. Or another time I saw him with Brain(Primus drummer) and some bassist I didn't know, as a 3 piece. That was cool as gently caress too.

edit: Basically Buckethead is all over the loving place. He has like 300+ albums(Frank Zappa territory. Frank is my #2 hero). He is a total loving weirdo. But I loving love it. He can legit play every genre of music. like, Metal, to bluegrass, to funk, to Chet Atkins style country, to techno, to surf, to playing slapbass and doing nun chucks and break dancing, and then back to metal , and shred your face off, all in one concert. He does it all with robot like precision. I have seen him in 5k+ seat arenas, and 300 seat bars. He is a character. Music needs more dudes like him IMO

Dirt fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 12, 2016

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i've always wanted an electric oud, i don't think they exist

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Dr. Heart Collapse posted:

i've always wanted an electric oud, i don't think they exist
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultioudp.htm
http://www.godinguitars.com/godin_world_multioud_encore_37414.html

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 12, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Godin stuff is quality too, I bet those are awesome.

Seagull(owned by Godin) makes the best acoustic guitars for the money IMO.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dirt posted:

I like your advise, and I will work on it more. Thanks man.

maybe better, sure, but he's bad

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Cobalt60 posted:

maybe better, sure, but he's bad

nah, he actually owns

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 12, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
praxis is okay but buckethead's own stuff all sounds like a frank gambale instructional video

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I've been watching Anderton videos even tho I am the worst at guitar. They say Mesa Boogie in a completely adorable way.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dirt posted:

He does tours with just him and a drum machine a lot. But he also plays with tons of other "bands" where it is a full band setup. Just depends on the tour.
I've seen him a bunch in different settings/lineups.

The best was when it was him and That1guy (another solo artist, who plays a crazy homemade instrument) as the Frankenstein Brothers. That was the weirdest/best concert I have ever been to. Or another time I saw him with Brain(Primus drummer) and some bassist I didn't know, as a 3 piece. That was cool as gently caress too.

edit: Basically Buckethead is all over the loving place. He has like 300+ albums(Frank Zappa territory. Frank is my #2 hero). He is a total loving weirdo. But I loving love it. He can legit play every genre of music. like, Metal, to bluegrass, to funk, to Chet Atkins style country, to techno, to surf, to playing slapbass and doing nun chucks and break dancing, and then back to metal , and shred your face off, all in one concert. He does it all with robot like precision. I have seen him in 5k+ seat arenas, and 300 seat bars. He is a character. Music needs more dudes like him IMO

frank zappa the best

dweezil puts on an enjoyable concert too if you just wanna go hear a pretty good band play zappa songs

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Shugojin posted:

frank zappa the best

dweezil puts on an enjoyable concert too if you just wanna go hear a pretty good band play zappa songs

I've Zappa plays Zappa a bunch of times. Good stuff.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Dirt posted:

But... you're my favorite guitarist :smith:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

tacodaemon posted:

But... you're my favorite guitarist :smith:

I'm terrible though :smith:

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Wrong thread. That dude rules.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

This thread could live for years on the rigs of dad insta feed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
posted this in the rocksmith thread earlier but it should be here too

searching for acrylic instruments on aliexpress is a goldmine of poo poo i will eventually buy

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
don't worry guys it is possible to buy a TACTICAL ASSAULT GUITAR BAG festooned in MOLLE webbing. $100 for a soft case, oof

http://diamondtactical.net/collections/guitar-products/products/single-electric-bag

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 18, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Concatenation posted:

don't worry guys it is possible to buy a TACTICAL ASSAULT GUITAR BAG festooned in MOLLE webbing. $100 for a soft case, oof

http://diamondtactical.net/collections/guitar-products/products/single-electric-bag

Finally the case for when you need to break out that crucial metal solo in a warzone.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

unlawfulsoup posted:

Finally the case for when you need to break out that crucial metal solo in a warzone.

I always have trouble finding mid level gear for my bards. thx for the advice

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

:stare: Wanna hear that dad

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Concatenation posted:

i kinda do the opposite and use an old Fender gig bag to transport my AR-15 because it's discreet

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

i kinda do the opposite and use an old Fender gig bag to transport my AR-15 because it's discreet

AK in a keyboard case here! We're like next level spies man! And oddly enough I carry my Novation Nova in an ammo crate.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the tone king's existence is the proof of a kind and loving god with a great sense of humor

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

This thread could live for years on the rigs of dad insta feed.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

where are people getting these i want one it would look so cool on the wall

e: also look how happy ppl are playing it

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

the tone king's existence is the proof of a kind and loving god with a great sense of humor

i think the make-a-wish foundation is being defrauded

that kid with advanced progeria and obesity should've croaked by now

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

A fine example of a band getting totally lost in the middle of a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6WSfEWvxNQ&t=133s

I like how ol' GE just keeps playing the same bluesdad lick over the wrong chords, classy stuff

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dirt posted:

So do you think I need more work on the left hand technique(hammer on/pull offs), or the right hand timing of hitting the switch? What's more important here?

It looks so easy, but I promise it isn't.

edit: like I learned to play that first song in the video(night of the slunk) years ago, and can play it without thinking normally, ie picked. Trying to do it with legato and a killswitch is super hard.

Remember you have to "pick" backwards. Your right hand is used to moving and making the noise, but now your movement is going to stop the sound from happening. It really helps if you have an arcade switch for a kill switch if you want to be really really fast at it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

Remember you have to "pick" backwards. Your right hand is used to moving and making the noise, but now your movement is going to stop the sound from happening. It really helps if you have an arcade switch for a kill switch if you want to be really really fast at it.

Good advice!

I bought a cheapish Ibanez that came with a toggle killswitch, and I removed it, routed out the hole and wired in an arcade button switch in it's place. I am still working on it using it, and I am getting better for sure, but it's a lot more of a pain and the rear end than I expected it to be.

I've been doing metronome legato exercises with the kill switch, and trying to play random buckethead songs. I am getting there. I figure within a few months it will be second nature.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've heard of people (don't remember if it was here or somewhere else) throwing like a 2 position dpdt right before the killswitch to make it so that it depressing the button turns the signal back on while the default position is no signal. Maybe something like that would make it more intuitive for you.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's brilliant.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

two dudes could simultaneously play this while making out with each other

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I'm the tuning machines rendering the bass neck almost completely useless

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm the side-mounted knobs that will dig into your leg and change settings if you dare play it sitting down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
wde's customer requests are getting crazy

• Locked thread