Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Worst part of All Good Things.

Nope, Admiral Riker demands a hot rod.

If anything, they should have retconned that when someone hails his ship, they just hear Click Click Boom for a bit before Admiral Riker answers the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Timby posted:

V and large parts of Generations are far, far superior to most of the Trek movies thus far.

Is it opposite day today? Did I wander into CineD by mistake?

Star Trek V and Generations loving suck, but there are at least parts of those movies I like. There is nothing I liked about Into Darkness at all. I like Kirk, Spock and Bones going camping. And as a kid, I liked Data going nuts and saying "poo poo". And Picard meeting Kirk in the Nexus was a neat scene. That's about it.

They say that "even Trek movies are good, odd ones are bad", but honest I think I like all of them except for Star Trek V, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis and Into Darkness. By now that rule doesn't really apply. Yes, I actually like Star Trek: the Motionless Picture.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kirk's death is sad god drat it! Yes it's anticlimactic and kind of a bad way to die but Shatner delivered those last lines perfectly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Is it opposite day today? Did I wander into CineD by mistake?

Star Trek V and Generations loving suck, but there are at least parts of those movies I like. There is nothing I liked about Into Darkness at all. I like Kirk, Spock and Bones going camping. And as a kid, I liked Data going nuts and saying "poo poo". And Picard meeting Kirk in the Nexus was a neat scene. That's about it.

They say that "even Trek movies are good, odd ones are bad", but honest I think I like all of them except for Star Trek V, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis and Into Darkness. By now that rule doesn't really apply. Yes, I actually like Star Trek: the Motionless Picture.

TMP is a lot better than any of the TNG or nutrek movies, or for that matter Search for Spock or Final Frontier.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Into Darkness is about the contradiction of Starfleet being "not a military organization" but still practicing gunboat diplomacy and makes some cool points about how a vast unchecked military industrial complex is not a good thing. Has its flaws but anyone proclaiming it the worst Trek thing ever or some such needs to watch Nemesis again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Into Darkness is about the contradiction of Starfleet being "not a military organization" but still practicing gunboat diplomacy and makes some cool points about how a vast unchecked military industrial complex is not a good thing. Has its flaws but anyone proclaiming it the worst Trek thing ever or some such needs to watch Nemesis again.

Bear in mind that Into Darkness's primary writer is a 9/11 Truther and has said in interviews that he wrote it as an allegory for "what really happened and the dangers facing America."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Bear in mind that Into Darkness's primary writer is a 9/11 Truther and has said in interviews that he wrote it as an allegory for "what really happened and the dangers facing America."

He's wrong about 9/11 but right about the implications of such a theory.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The movie has a lot of problems and a few misplaced scenes, but then it completely disintegrates after a starship semi-casually crashes into a major city and Spock fights Sherlock on top of a hover garbage truck.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm still trying to figure out how something as far out as the moon managed to fall into earth's atmosphere in a few minutes. That means it entered earth's atmosphere at around 3 million miles an hour.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cythereal posted:

Is this some Bush did 9/11 poo poo?

I don't remember forcing Saddam into service to help us design superhuman anti-terrism weapons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how something as far out as the moon managed to fall into earth's atmosphere in a few minutes. That means it entered earth's atmosphere at around 3 million miles an hour.

There is no real pacing or sense of scale in these movies, regardless of any scientific inaccuracy. It's just a bunch of CGI video game cut scenes interspersed with a bit of fanwanky dialogue in between. The problem is so many other movies are like this these days that even in that one lovely regard, NuTrek can't stand out

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Generations is a great movie that goons regularly slam for little reason. The cinematography alone is an epiphany after 7 years of overlit sets and boring TV camera angles. Data's emotional rollercoaster, McDowell devouring the props and sets in every scene, etc etc. I even love that they finally put the crew on an honest to god schooner in full naval regalia. Stewart and Whoopi nail those Nexus scenes. It's fantastic. The only downside to the whole thing is that the Duras' take down the D instead of a Romulan Warbird, something that was teased for 7 seasons. I can't even fault Kirk's death, the character dies helping to save an entire world. What more could you want?

If Generations had had a Romulan-centric plot instead of the Duras', it would be cited alongside TUC and WoK as the best Trek has to offer in film.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't even fault Kirk's death, the character dies helping to save an entire world. What more could you want?

Maybe just a little bit of time spent showing the world they are going to save and it's people?

I mean, I know the point of it is that the Enterprise Crew and Kirk are heroes, and they will try to save people even if they will never see them, but as a member of the audience, I really need to see what is being threatened at least for a little bit in order to feel tense that they are all about to be killed. People die all the time in real life and we don't even think about it that much, if we did it would take up all our time. It is only when people we are at least somewhat acquainted with die that we really feel it. We need to meet the victims for drama to work.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 12, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FilthyImp posted:

Is this some Bush did 9/11 poo poo?

I don't remember forcing Saddam into service to help us design superhuman anti-terrism weapons.

Well 9/11 WAS the first instance of fire melting steel :smuggo:

But yeah apparently the screenwriter is a total creep that thinks Bush did 9/11 for TEH OIL or some poo poo and he got a gig to put it on the silver screen.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I threw up the first time I saw Generations. It wasn't because of the movie, but it probably didn't help.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

remusclaw posted:

Maybe just a little bit of time spent showing the world they are going to save and it's people?

I mean, I know the point of it is that the Enterprise Crew and Kirk are heroes, and they will try to save people even if they will never see them, but as a member of the audience, I really need to see what is being threatened at least for a little bit in order to feel tense that they are all about to be killed. People die all the time in real life and we don't even think about it that much, if we did it would take up all our time. It is only when people we are at least somewhat acquainted with die that we really feel it. We need to meet the victims for drama to work.

But the movie does this as well; we see that the destruction of Veridian III would also result in the death of the surviving Enterprise-D crew. And we've known them for 7 years.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Generations was a movie that would have benefited from a lot more time to tighten up the script and maybe it would have helped not to blow all that money building the stellar cartography set and those location shoots

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But the movie does this as well; we see that the destruction of Veridian III would also result in the death of the surviving Enterprise-D crew. And we've known them for 7 years.

I don't think they could have done anything to convince me the crew were all going to die at the end of a Star Trek movie and I really don't know that they even tried. I was more thinking about the peoples on the inhabited world or worlds in the intended path of the nexus they mentioned. It's just put out there but they're never shown so they really don't linger or serve as dramatic tension at all.

The possible destruction of those planets and the possible death of Kirk and/or Picard would have felt more tense if the Enterprise crew weren't there at all, as I could buy them possibly killing Picard but certainly not the whole crew dying.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 12, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tighclops posted:

Generations was a movie that would have benefited from a lot more time to tighten up the script and maybe it would have helped not to blow all that money building the stellar cartography set and those location shoots

Or told them a few years before so they could have saved the Yesterday's Enterprise script.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It's not a schooner it's a sloop.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Tighclops posted:

I wonder how much money they blew filming that skydiving scene with Kirk.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
drat a Yesterday's Enterprise film with the Ent-A coming through the time rift and with the actual Narendra III battle scene shown on screen would have been baller af.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Trek 5 is the most Star Trekkiest movie of them all, including TMP. Unfortunately including some of the TOS hokiness that was already an outdated relic, but the characters were just about at their most authentic, the premise is Trek to a T, the score is one of Goldberg's best, Sybok is incredible, you've got one of the all time iconic lines of Trek in "what does God need with a starship?"

I could go on and on, but I've always liked Final Frontier. Despite its flaws, to be sure.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The Dark One posted:

I wonder how much money they blew filming that skydiving scene with Kirk.

It's okay, they got to reuse the suit in the Voyager episode "Extreme Risk"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I can appreciate the cinematographer trying to make the TV sets look cinematic but for the most part it basically looks like dimly lit TV.

Generations isn't a bad movie but it's weirdly forgettable for a movie where a ton of important things happen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always loved 6 with Kirk giving himself poo poo about his life long ambition.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
And McCoy saying "What is it with you anyway?"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Goldsmith

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McNally posted:

Goldsmith

:doh:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

Or even just maybe not having the same writers working on the scripts for both the TNG finale and the movie at the same time.

Also maybe making a set of costumes that they then scrapped wasn't a good use of money.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

drat a Yesterday's Enterprise film with the Ent-A coming through the time rift and with the actual Narendra III battle scene shown on screen would have been baller af.

gently caress it, best of all worlds. Throw generations and first contact together, have the Borg go back to Kirk era, Picard and Kirk team up to fight them. Then we call that the only movie for TNG.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can't imagine Yesterday's Enterprise as a movie. There simply isn't enough meat on those bones. And then you run into the very issue that tanked the TOS vs TNG concept; the writers couldn't make both crews heroic without one of them ending up as the clear "villain".

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't imagine Yesterday's Enterprise as a movie. There simply isn't enough meat on those bones. And then you run into the very issue that tanked the TOS vs TNG concept; the writers couldn't make both crews heroic without one of them ending up as the clear "villain".

Did it? It always came across to me as everyone trying to do the right thing as they understand it, and it starts the process of showing how easy it would be for the Roddenberry Utopia (tm) to fall apart once things start going wrong. The problem, as happens with nearly every Star Trek movie, is that this inversion and payoff requires the investment in the universe and characters that comes with having spent many, many hours with them. The scenes of the two captains trying to decide a course of action based not only on their considerations of larger implications but also their duties to their crews are particularly resonant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Generations is a great movie that goons regularly slam for little reason. The cinematography alone is an epiphany after 7 years of overlit sets and boring TV camera angles. Data's emotional rollercoaster, McDowell devouring the props and sets in every scene, etc etc. I even love that they finally put the crew on an honest to god schooner in full naval regalia. Stewart and Whoopi nail those Nexus scenes. It's fantastic. The only downside to the whole thing is that the Duras' take down the D instead of a Romulan Warbird, something that was teased for 7 seasons. I can't even fault Kirk's death, the character dies helping to save an entire world. What more could you want?

If Generations had had a Romulan-centric plot instead of the Duras', it would be cited alongside TUC and WoK as the best Trek has to offer in film.
The whole 'let's kill off Picard's rediscovered family offscreen' is incredibly lazy writing, I'm sorry. That's responsible for Picard's arc in the film and it's dumb. Yes, Stewart/Goldberg are good in those Nexus parts, but the stuff with Picard/Kirk comes off as awkward and Kirk's death is lame. The sideplot with Data was also poorly done. I get that they are trying to build on the Data episodes from the series, but it's mostly played for comedy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the thing that makes Into Darkness truly terrible-- at it's core it's an incredible return to form as far as Trek's best and highest purpose: skewering American sociopolitical issues via cowboy scifi. But then they said "nah gently caress that" and buried the best thing about it under layers of focus group approved fan pandering nonsense. Nemesis is god awful but at least it doesn't make me sad to think about how it could've been awesome.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Generations at least had a fairly original story. It could have been worked over a little bit more, but the crew characterizations still felt like the series, the stakes felt real, and they managed to use time travel without really using time travel.

First Contact was a zombie movie in space with time travel shenanigans that open more questions than is answered.

Insurrection was just a bland extended TNG episode that became to much of the Picard and Data show, relegating all the other characters to gags.

Nemesis, was, well, Nemesis. They focused too hard on the Picard and Data show and ended up with a singularity of suck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Nemesis, was, well, Nemesis. They focused too hard on the Picard and Data show and ended up with a singularity of suck.

So that's what the Reman fell into at the end of the Riker fight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why cookie Rocket posted:

That's the thing that makes Into Darkness truly terrible-- at it's core it's an incredible return to form as far as Trek's best and highest purpose: skewering American sociopolitical issues via cowboy scifi. But then they said "nah gently caress that" and buried the best thing about it under layers of focus group approved fan pandering nonsense. Nemesis is god awful but at least it doesn't make me sad to think about how it could've been awesome.
I liked it until they decided to make it a terrible WoK remake. It actually seemed to be dealing somewhat well at first with the fallout from ST09.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The biggest issue about Yesterday's Enterprise as a film is that it wouldn't be about the known characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It would have been pretty loving ballsy to end a movie by sending the entire original series crew to their deaths.