Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I thought the thing with leaverfs on other team reducing rank gain was fixed? I've won 3 games with leavers in a row and gotten about 1/8 of a level cumulatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

um why the hell would you play without a kill feed?

That's my friend recording, not me. I'm the Lucio you see on occasion.
My computer would melt if I tried to record and play.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

flashman posted:

I thought the thing with leaverfs on other team reducing rank gain was fixed? I've won 3 games with leavers in a row and gotten about 1/8 of a level cumulatively.

I think what they fixed was the bug where if you drop and reconnect, it registered as a loss even if you went on to win.

The MMR system most likely still considers any match with non-returning leavers to be a "broken" match that shouldn't be counted for much either way.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think what they fixed was the bug where if you drop and reconnect, it registered as a loss even if you went on to win.

The MMR system most likely still considers any match with non-returning leavers to be a "broken" match that shouldn't be counted for much either way.

That is maybe the worst way to deal with leavers I have ever heard of..

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just had a great session with goons. It started out with a couple of losses, but rather than the group breaking apart, we joked about it and moved forward. Proceeded to win4 in a row, and everyone was coordinating and having fun while we played.

It's that kind of gaming when Overwatch really shines. No one takes it too seriously, and playing as a team actually makes the difference.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is playing mercy supposed to feel like you are smashing your head on a brick wall.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
https://www.twitch.tv/tvique is streaming, if you want to see some ridiculous rank-85 play

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can Winston block a D.Va ult entirely by dropping a bubble on it? Does his barrier work the same way as Zarya's where it can entirely negate a single large attack with no bleed through?

Also, do barriers that block damage block it for both teams? Like, if you as tracer stick a Winston can you dodge the blast at close range by getting on the other side of his shield?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is playing mercy supposed to feel like you are smashing your head on a brick wall.

Feels more like walking a bunch of retarded dogs on a leash, who are also in heat.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I wanted to have it so that my comp rank for every season was 69 but I guess that's not happening anymore.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

NmareBfly posted:

Can Winston block a D.Va ult entirely by dropping a bubble on it? Does his barrier work the same way as Zarya's where it can entirely negate a single large attack with no bleed through?

I believe that Winston's barrier works the same way as Reinhardt's does, which means that it can completely block D.Va's ult.

quote:

Also, do barriers that block damage block it for both teams? Like, if you as tracer stick a Winston can you dodge the blast at close range by getting on the other side of his shield?

Red barriers block your damage. Blue barriers let your damage go through. I don't know the answer to your question, but I believe it would block the damage you would take.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I believe her backstory is that she got locked in cryostasis for 10 years by accident.

Hammy did some good videos on this,

Mei was in an arctic base doing climate research when Overwatch went offline, to save herself she put herself into cryo stasis.
Years later she was found and reanimated.

Mercy uses her biotic nanites to keep her young - if you notice she self heals when out of combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXE9WzdLFJ0

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zorodius posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/tvique is streaming, if you want to see some ridiculous rank-85 play

Cross-posting from the meimei thread for the exact opposite experience:

Bacontotem posted:

We're doing this. Live the failure.

https://www.twitch.tv/bacontotem

He Hanjo, #5 worst player in overwatch

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mei and her team were all put into cryostasis for survival after some poo poo happened but Mei was the only survivor because of course that's what you would say after you convince your teammates to get into the cryovats and then you unplug them in order to keep the remaining electrical power to yourself.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Cross-posting from the meimei thread for the exact opposite experience:

He Hanjo, #5 worst player in overwatch

I thought you meant you were ranked 5 which I really wanted to see (I guess I just have to wait a couple weeks until I'm there).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I believe that Winston's barrier works the same way as Reinhardt's does, which means that it can completely block D.Va's ult.

Red barriers block your damage. Blue barriers let your damage go through. I don't know the answer to your question, but I believe it would block the damage you would take.

Pretty sure Reinhardt's Barrier wont stop the self-destruct blast. The only consistent counter to it is to have Reinhardt make a glorious self-sacrificing Charge to shove it away from your teammates before it pops.

Preferrably running down D.Va in the process, or at least killing her with the self-destruct she was trying to flee from.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure Reinhardt's Barrier wont stop the self-destruct blast. The only consistent counter to it is to have Reinhardt make a glorious self-sacrificing Charge to shove it away from your teammates before it pops.

Preferrably running down D.Va in the process, or at least killing her with the self-destruct she was trying to flee from.

Reinhardt's barrier definitely stops D.Va ults.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reinhardt can stop any explosion, it's just beams and firestrikes that go through it

you can absolutely stop a d.va ult with winston's shield as well; I've saved myself a few times doing this

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Woah, Mercy's pretty creepy.

There's a theory floating around somewhere that she is actually a villain.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

you absolutely can stop DVas ult with a shield, I did it in what was the only POTG I've gotten as Reinhardt

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

you absolutely can stop DVas ult with a shield, I did it in what was the only POTG I've gotten as Reinhardt

you need to be a manly reinhardt more often if that's the only POTG you've had as him

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

mcbexx posted:

:( I hope not, I want them to all be best friends together :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought you could block Junkrat's ult but then I ran into someone who jumped at the last instant and that kills you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rick posted:

I thought you could block Junkrat's ult but then I ran into someone who jumped at the last instant and that kills you.

you can but the tire can go through the shield, also if it has enough height it can go over it if the reinhardt isn't looking up

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Feels like Roadhogs and Pharahs need a bit of tweaking in the current meta.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Only thing I can think of doing for Roadhog is shortening his chain slightly. I've hooked and been hooked by some ridiculously long chains before

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

redweird posted:

Only thing I can think of doing for Roadhog is shortening his chain slightly. I've hooked and been hooked by some ridiculously long chains before

I still think his heal ahould be gradual instead of near-instant. It's a little too much of an "I live, you won't, gently caress you" button that can be mashed with relative impunity.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still think his heal ahould be gradual instead of near-instant. It's a little too much of an "I live, you won't, gently caress you" button that can be mashed with relative impunity.

I think the game should check the line of the hook at the moment you're stunned. If there's a wall in the way, it should break.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^I actually had something like this happen earlier this evening. It was attack on Anubis B, I was flanking the point, Roadhog hooked me but I was already falling into one of those underpass areas when the hook hit me. It registered as a hook, but it didn't retract me.

mcbexx posted:

My personal Mercy theory: she's an actual literal angel hanging around on earth for reasons, biotic energy isn't some super-science nanowhatever, it's straight-up divine energy siphoned from heaven like that one Ultron-looking motherfucker was doing to hell in DOOM. Something went wrong when she tried to bring Reyes back to life and so he's not just some sort of Deadpool-esque anomaly but a literal soul-devouring ghost-vampire-zombie, whoops.

The design of her armor is just her own little in-joke, she actually looks like one of those giant flaming wheels with like six-dozen eyes.

In other less stupid news, I always feel really bad whenever I'm on the attack going up against Torbjorns who don't know what they're doing because Torb is my spirit animal, but when your team is getting pushed hard you really shouldn't try to drop a turret right in our way and hammer it up to level two little buddy, head back to where your friends are and set up there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mcbexx posted:

I mean that would explain why the supposed pacifist has no problems gunning people down.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the psychopath whose murder weapon leaves behind only puddles of water

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Feels like Roadhogs and Pharahs need a bit of tweaking in the current meta.

I could see Pharah getting countered by a buffed D.Va, depending on how they go about that. If Blizzard opts to improve D.Va's M1, maybe even letting her fire it while in flight, then she could start giving Pharah a pretty rough time.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I could see Pharah getting countered by a buffed D.Va, depending on how they go about that. If Blizzard opts to improve D.Va's M1, maybe even letting her fire it while in flight, then she could start giving Pharah a pretty rough time.

just able to move at normal speed when shooting would be a great boost to D'va

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I think Pharah and Roadhog are both fine. If anything I'd like them to fix Roadhog's hooks that go wonky way too often.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TheresaJayne posted:

just able to move at normal speed when shooting would be a great boost to D'va

I think the slowed walk speed is kind of baked into her character concept. She's supposed to feel like a lumbering ED-209 unstoppable juggernaut while she's firing, and despite being a limitation, it feels fun!

It's just that mechanics-wise, the infinite ammo isn't enough to justify the tradeoff; her range, power, and/or survivability need to improve too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mcbexx posted:

She's a total copy of Paramedic from Metal Gear Solid since she turned Genji into Gray Fox. Also she literally heals with nanomachines. So it's safe to say she has good intentions and as a young doctor helped out Big Boss, then becomes a founding member of the Patriots who she thinks are the good guys (She is one of the Overwatch founders). As time goes on Overwatch becomes twisted by the patriots.

Also Reaper was one of Overwatch's best agents. Mercy revived him since they used to work together and he joined the "bad guys". So that's basically the plot of MGS3 + 5. Talon is Outer Heaven, and they're rebelling against Overwatch who are the "good guys" but are twisted to AI Patriot Control (Omnics).

Now what I'm really trying to say here is MGS6 is actually Overwatch.

Edit:

Mercy = Paramedic
Genji = Gray Fox
Reaper = Big Boss
Overwatch = Patriots
Omnics = AI
Nanomachines = Nanomachines
Soldier 76 = Solid Snake

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 12, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think the slowed walk speed is kind of baked into her character concept. She's supposed to feel like a lumbering ED-209 unstoppable juggernaut while she's firing, and despite being a limitation, it feels fun!

It's just that mechanics-wise, the infinite ammo isn't enough to justify the tradeoff; her range, power, and/or survivability need to improve too.

Mechanics-wise, short-range guns and reduced walking speed while firing mean people just run away and shoot you from outside your own range.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think more than for flavor reasons, the slowed walk speed is because, okay, let's say she can move her normal speed (i.e. about as fast as most characters) and spam autoshotgun fire all day. So now what you have is, in many respects, a 500 hitpoint Reaper who trades his wraith form out for an ability that can help defend both yourself and your teammates and teleportation for the ability to fly for three seconds.

I don't know about you, but that sounds potentially pretty bad from a balance perspective. D.Va's got good mobility when she isn't firing, Defense Matrix is actually a very helpful ability if you coordinate it properly, and when she's up close her guns do good damage. Her issues largely seem to boil down to two things:

1). The size and/or location of her headshot hitbox means that she soaks up headshots more than any other character in the game. On paper her 500 mostly-armor hitpoints look awesome, but in practice she gets shredded super quickly. Yes, you should try and flank, but if they really want D.Va to be classified as a Tank and not simply some sort of Big Flanker then she needs to be less fragile, and

2). The damage falloff on her guns means that the best strategy to dealing with a firing D.Va in your face is simply taking five steps back or so. Raising the damage on her guns might make them a bit too powerful up-close, but reducing the severity of the falloff by a bit would make it less easy to trivial to escape her threat zone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I think more than for flavor reasons, the slowed walk speed is because, okay, let's say she can move her normal speed (i.e. about as fast as most characters) and spam autoshotgun fire all day. So now what you have is, in many respects, a 500 hitpoint Reaper who trades his wraith form out for an ability that can help defend both yourself and your teammates and teleportation for the ability to fly for three seconds.

I don't know about you, but that sounds potentially pretty bad from a balance perspective. D.Va's got good mobility when she isn't firing, Defense Matrix is actually a very helpful ability if you coordinate it properly, and when she's up close her guns do good damage. Her issues largely seem to boil down to two things:

1). The size and/or location of her headshot hitbox means that she soaks up headshots more than any other character in the game. On paper her 500 mostly-armor hitpoints look awesome, but in practice she gets shredded super quickly. Yes, you should try and flank, but if they really want D.Va to be classified as a Tank and not simply some sort of Big Flanker then she needs to be less fragile, and

2). The damage falloff on her guns means that the best strategy to dealing with a firing D.Va in your face is simply taking five steps back or so. Raising the damage on her guns might make them a bit too powerful up-close, but reducing the severity of the falloff by a bit would make it less easy to trivial to escape her threat zone.

The stupid thing about her damage falloff is that at range the spread is already much bigger so most of your shots aren't hitting - each shot is 8 pellets so let's say a good half will miss. Now add on top of that the fact that the shots actually do less damage the farther out they go (they drop to 16% or so). So you go from 100% to 8% and you can't move while shooting so that happens pretty fast.

She is actually good in KOTH maps from experience though. Everyone needs to get on point anyway so they'll be running to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean, if the end result is that people can still distance themselves from D.Va's guns but they have to run further to do so then that sort of sounds like a decent outcome considering she's meant to be a sort of disruption tank rather than a 500hp DPS character. The problem is that right now she just doesn't do much disrupting.