Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

guppy posted:

If anyone is sale-watching for a KitchenAid stand mixer, if you have Amazon Prime, it looks like the 6-quart pro bowl lift model is $249 on Amazon today only as part of Prime Day.

EDIT: It looks like they're doing that dumb flash deal thing so it may not be all day -- get on it fast if you want it.

This also seems like a pretty good deal on a 6qt pressure cooker. It can hit 15PSI, which I understand is pretty desirable for quick stock making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This also seems like a pretty good deal on a 6qt pressure cooker. It can hit 15PSI, which I understand is pretty desirable for quick stock making.

I don't think it hits 15 psi, just that it's pressure regulator can handle 15 psi. If you look down the page there is a chart that says it's high pressure setting is 10-11 psi.

pnau
Aug 20, 2006
Any recommendations for a decent garlic press ?

Mine broke after using it 3-4 nights a week for 2 years and im looking for something heavy duty that will last a bit longer.

Have been looking at this OXO one https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Garlic-Press/dp/B00004OCJX

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

pnau posted:

Any recommendations for a decent garlic press ?

Mine broke after using it 3-4 nights a week for 2 years and im looking for something heavy duty that will last a bit longer.

Have been looking at this OXO one https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Garlic-Press/dp/B00004OCJX

Kuhn Rikon makes the best one that I've ever used. I bought it on recommendation from... somewhere (maybe ATK) and it's great.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Kuhn Rikon makes the best one that I've ever used. I bought it on recommendation from... somewhere (maybe ATK) and it's great.

This exact thing and silicon baking mats/spatulas are the only kitchen poo poo I will recommend to every single person who cooks without hesitation.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

novamute posted:

This exact thing and silicon baking mats/spatulas are the only kitchen poo poo I will recommend to every single person who cooks without hesitation.

The KR peelers, oh god recommend those too!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think the OXO Good Grips is the garlic press I have. What makes the Kuhn Rikon press better, out of curiosity?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Kuhn Rikon is alright but it gets a lot of garlic into all the nooks and crannies instead of onto the plate and is kind of annoying to clean.

Having bought six different garlic presses, I'd recommend the Trudeau instead. It has a bigger hopper, has less nooks and crannies and cleans more easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00062B0EM/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468393605&sr=sr-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=trudeau+garlic+press

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 13, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Steve Yun posted:

The Kuhn Rikon is alright but it gets a lot of garlic into all the nooks and crannies instead of onto the plate and is kind of annoying to clean.

Isn't that what they all do? If you want to reduce garlic to that sort of ultra-pungent ultra-fine consistency, what's wrong with just pounding it flat with your knife? And if you want a larger form of sliced or chopped, the press just plain can't do that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Phanatic posted:

Isn't that what they all do? If you want to reduce garlic to that sort of ultra-pungent ultra-fine consistency, what's wrong with just pounding it flat with your knife? And if you want a larger form of sliced or chopped, the press just plain can't do that.

A knife can't get the garlic anywhere near as fine, at least not without a lot of mincing afterwards. I like the ceramic grater I got for garlic and ginger for this, it's super easy to clean and turns both garlic and ginger into paste, it's a little more work than a press but it gets good enough results that it's worth it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A knife can't get the garlic anywhere near as fine, at least not without a lot of mincing afterwards. I like the ceramic grater I got for garlic and ginger for this, it's super easy to clean and turns both garlic and ginger into paste, it's a little more work than a press but it gets good enough results that it's worth it.

Put some plastic wrap on top before grating. No cleanup necessary.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This makes no sense. I can't make head or tail out of a way plastic wrap would reduce cleanup without plastic shards in your garlic.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Ehhh, I don't see the point, I only need to run it under water for a few seconds to get it clean.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Horse Clocks posted:

This makes no sense. I can't make head or tail out of a way plastic wrap would reduce cleanup without plastic shards in your garlic.

These graters aren't sharp, exactly. It's a (usually) ceramic imitation of a traditional Japanese sharkskin grater.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

Having bought six different garlic presses, I'd recommend the Trudeau instead. It has a bigger hopper, has less nooks and crannies and cleans more easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00062B0EM/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468393605&sr=sr-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=trudeau+garlic+press

This seems awfully similar to the OXO Good Grips I have now. Any reason why it might be better?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is probably pretty simple, but does anyone have any non-plastic bottles they'd recommend for serving/storing sauces? I've started making my own hot sauces and keeping them in tupperware containers; not only is it annoying to have to get out a spoon and dollop the stuff out whenever I want some but the pepper residue stains the crap out of the plastic. Ideally I just want the same type of bottle that Frank's et al. are in, though I don't know if anyone just sells empty bottles like that.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

C-Euro posted:

This is probably pretty simple, but does anyone have any non-plastic bottles they'd recommend for serving/storing sauces? I've started making my own hot sauces and keeping them in tupperware containers; not only is it annoying to have to get out a spoon and dollop the stuff out whenever I want some but the pepper residue stains the crap out of the plastic. Ideally I just want the same type of bottle that Frank's et al. are in, though I don't know if anyone just sells empty bottles like that.

Ikea has flip top glass bottles of a number of sizes, phone posting so no link.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Is the Zojirushi rice cooker in the OP still the gold standard?

We've got the super basic 1.2L model that we've had for about five years, but the bowl is getting all scraped to poo poo and it consistently overcooks at the bottom, probably because we're at a higher altitude and I'm guessing it's trying to cook to 212F or whatever. I'm assuming a fuzzy logic model would help with that.

We use it mostly for plain steamed rice, but also sushi rice, congee, sometimes other grains or steam vegetables, dumplings etc. over the rice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Invisible Ted posted:

Ikea has flip top glass bottles of a number of sizes, phone posting so no link.

I know about those but could only find the 34 oz ones, and I'm not really making more than 8 oz per batch so that's way too big. They did have 5 oz glass spice jars with metal lids which aren't perfect but way better, so thanks for suggesting Ikea in the first place.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Going by economies of scale, A bottle of Frank's is probably going to be cheaper than any buy-clean bottle.

Worst case scenario: you throw out £1 of sauce.
Best case scenario: you eat enough wings to consume £1 of sauce.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Sauce-Clear-Glass-Dasher-Bottle/dp/B00GISK49A

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Horse Clocks posted:

Going by economies of scale, A bottle of Frank's is probably going to be cheaper than any buy-clean bottle.

Worst case scenario: you throw out £1 of sauce.
Best case scenario: you eat enough wings to consume £1 of sauce.

I can't tell if you're using "£" in reference to the currency or the unit of weight measurement instead of "lb".

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

When I bought these I also bought a pack of the plastic dripper lids.

https://www.amazon.com/Dripper-Inse...8NESGZQ2N0W5VCT

Best decision ever.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flaggy posted:

When I bought these I also bought a pack of the plastic dripper lids.

https://www.amazon.com/Dripper-Inse...8NESGZQ2N0W5VCT

Best decision ever.

Whoa, these are perfect! Previously, I would just buy small bottles of lovely hot sauce at the dollar store, dump it out and reuse them.

Glass is SO much better for hot sauce.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This seems awfully similar to the OXO Good Grips I have now. Any reason why it might be better?

I have not used the Oxo one but the Cooks Illustrated review said they didn't like any of the Oxo models for being "inefficient" and being unable to process all the garlic in the hopper

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1072-garlic-presses?ref=new_search_experience_1&incode=MCSCD00L0

Of course they also rated the Kuhn Rikon the highest so what do they know.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

C-Euro posted:

The standard bottles used by hotsauce vendors are called "woozy bottles". Google that, and you'll find many many vendors of them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

12-piece KA triply set is up for $200 on woot today. Seems like a good deal to me if you're in need of pots and pans!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do I need a food mill? I'm trying to do this pizza sauce recipe which takes 1 can of whole ground 6-in-1 tomatoes strained through the small holes and a couple pints of grape tomatoes strained through medium holes. Presumably to keep all the seeds out?

I'm just wary of acquiring and storing a bulky pot-like device when I can get high-end blenders, food processors, or sieves that are probably more versatile. I'm going to try the recipe this weekend without, I'm just wondering what I am missing or if there are any other things that they are good for.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hed posted:

Do I need a food mill? I'm trying to do this pizza sauce recipe which takes 1 can of whole ground 6-in-1 tomatoes strained through the small holes and a couple pints of grape tomatoes strained through medium holes. Presumably to keep all the seeds out?

I'm just wary of acquiring and storing a bulky pot-like device when I can get high-end blenders, food processors, or sieves that are probably more versatile. I'm going to try the recipe this weekend without, I'm just wondering what I am missing or if there are any other things that they are good for.

Food mills are super useful, for instance there is noting that makes mashed potatoes as well as a food mill.

IIRC the OXO one is supposed to be very good for the price.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

C-Euro posted:

just save your glass bottles that poo poo comes in. I have an entire section of a shelf dedicated to "glass containers of various sizes with lids that something came in and I feel lovely just throwing out because christ it's a glass container and I'm sure I'll find a use for it sooner or later.

and inevitably I do. I have maybe 15 or so that I keep around, and most of them are in use at any given moment. salad dressings, dry rubs, pastes, jellys, sauces, pickles, etc.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Food mills are super useful, for instance there is noting that makes mashed potatoes as well as a food mill.

IIRC the OXO one is supposed to be very good for the price.

I thought about that, but how does it perform to a ricer? My household really only makes mashed potatoes like 2x a year and already am satisfied with the ricer texture. Is there anything else?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I have a food mill that I use once or twice per year to make large (3-5 gallons) batches of tomato sauce with. It makes pulverizing tomatoes a goddamn breeze. There's no way in hell I'm peeling and seeding like 100 lbs of tomatoes myself.

http://victorio.info/food-strainer.html

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Never buy your foods from a food mill. They never treat them well. Please adopt your food from a food shelter.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2016

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Hed posted:

I thought about that, but how does it perform to a ricer? My household really only makes mashed potatoes like 2x a year and already am satisfied with the ricer texture. Is there anything else?

Only twice a year? This gets close to my definition of hell.

About the only gizmo thing we have in our kitchen is this potato masher; it looks gimmicky, but it makes great fluffy mash. It doesn't make a 'smooth silky mash' like a sieve/food-mill, which works for me since I like some texture in my mashed potatoes. It also works great to mash avocados for guacamole as you'll still see the different shades of green while having a smooth guacamole.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
since the oxo food mills have come up : I have one, but I often find myself wanting to food mill something through a mesh sieve. like, basically tamis something, but on easy mode.

does anyone know of any mesh adapters made for the oxo food mill? I've googled a fair amount and never found anything.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Of course they also rated the Kuhn Rikon the highest so what do they know.

Have the Kuhn Rikon garlic press, can confirm that I love it. IDGAF if it's a uni-tasker or not.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Anyone have any experience with the reconditioned baking steels? They're basically factory seconds. The only thing that would worry me is if they don't lie flat.

https://shop.bakingsteel.com/collections/griddles/products/certified-reconditioned-steels

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I genuinely hope the reconditioned inspection would check that but you never know

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

fuckwolf posted:

Anyone have any experience with the reconditioned baking steels? They're basically factory seconds. The only thing that would worry me is if they don't lie flat.

https://shop.bakingsteel.com/collections/griddles/products/certified-reconditioned-steels

They'll probably be flat, just have random pock marks and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
So me and my wife are buying a new apartment, thats being built, and going to be ready in march.
We have the option of upgrading some of the appliances, but dont really know the quality of the new appliances.
We are thinking about upgrading
Stove top, to a kitchenaid induction top.
Oven to a kitchenaid oven
And combined fridge/freezer to a kitchenaid model.
Is kitchenaid a good brand for major appliances?