Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Dash fire taken care of, but engine fire hasn't happened yet:
http://bringatrailer.com/2016/05/08/no-reserve-6-speed-1998-ferrari-f355-gts-w-repaired-dash-fire-damage/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Sure, let's plan a drive in the later spring once things warm up even more. I think with the targa top off, wind noise isn't that bad in the middle of the cabin.

I don't have PMs so drop me a line when you like.
vakharn at the gmail

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I found good footage of the exhaust, you can hear the overrun popping too which is really satisfying
https://youtu.be/tefsMeQplK8

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's pretty true to life, at least I think, as I've never been outside the car. I remember thinking, that car might not be that fast out there, but it'll absolutely sound the part.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the topic of "properly capturing how the exhaust sounds IRL", for under $40 this setup worked wonders for me (originally posted in the Sithlord PYOR thread):

Ether Frenzy posted:

I got a Donald Trump Wig and an external mic for my GoPro, wired my M3 for sound and then drove through some tunnels.

https://vimeo.com/150190642

I have it snaked out the trunk seal and taped to the top of the rear bumper shelf using painter's tape. Wanna hear this thing in full throat like you do when you're driving it, Muffinpox's video from the side there really did a much better job than the previous videos have of demonstrating how cool that car sounds.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My shop, Aston Martin of New England, is holding a Cars and Coffee next weekend.
The most stereotypically Ferrari owner thing I've done is to be upset that the shop wouldn't be ready to fix my car in time for the show. I mean, it'll still be driveable to there, but I thought it would be cool to have the car driven out of the garage into the parking lot for the event.
Anyways, the holdup is an ominous "we're waiting on parts to ship." I'm guessing it's the oil temp sensor sitting in the oil reservoir. The car might need pads, too, but we'll see.

This weekend might be the first time in a while where I drove the 348 back to back. Checked "drive up the coast to a lobster shack" off my list for this car, but the drive itself was pretty ho-hum. Way too much traffic on the roads to run it briskly.

Heard a huge pop off the front glass, but couldn't find where it hit. That's how I found out my wiper fluid reservoir was empty. Got generic wiper fluid at the local grocerty to top off. There was no special Ferrari-specific fluid that I could find on parts sites.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

If you want a good coast road drive around here it's hard to beat the route going from Hampton Beach up past Odiorne Point.

It's way too busy this time of year during the day, but after like 9:30pm it's pretty empty. Alternatively go there in May or November.

Route 153 between a couple small towns along the Maine/NH border is the best segment of road I've found in New England. 45 Mph limit with a couple dozen heavily banked 20-30mph 'recommended speed' curves.

A bit of a hike from Boston unfortunately and also pretty busy this time of year. Honestly if you want a fun drive on public roads from June to October you have to go very far north to get away from the (other) tourists, or do it at night.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I bet these'd be fine early Sat morning, provided I could get up that early.

This trip up to Rockport, I might as well have gone in the Charger, between traffic and having to back into a space that was half asphalt (the high half) and half gravel. Still scraped something up front getting into that spot, but nothing serious.

The AC barely works, so driving with the windows up at the highway is kinda toasty. But still really loud because of how poorly the aftermarket targa top seals.
I think think the targa is a major weak point in the value of the car. I'm considering:
- trying to find a NOS one
- asking if the one guy who made a 911 targa folding style one still makes one. Probably wouldn't be quieter, but pictures show it fitting better, so might actually work in the rain. And it'd be easier to take off away from home.
- seeing if a body shop can fill/reshape the front and rear edges to seal better.

After seeing this listing and its perfectly fitting top, I'm really motivated:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252427720461

I haven't found a NOS top in stock yet, but one place was listing it for $2500 :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

I think think the targa is a major weak point in the value of the car.

Doesn't matter after

kimbo305 posted:

Got generic wiper fluid at the local grocerty to top off. There was no special Ferrari-specific fluid that I could find on parts sites.

Resale is in the toilet now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Got generic wiper fluid at the local grocerty to top off. There was no special Ferrari-specific fluid that I could find on parts sites.

:confused: Was your sommelier out of town?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

fknlo posted:

Doesn't matter after

Resale is in the toilet now.

Look at this nouveau rich Ferrari owner not knowing to use distilled tears of the working class to refill his windshield washer fluid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Muffinpox posted:

Look at this nouveau rich Ferrari owner not knowing to use distilled tears of the working class to refill his windshield washer fluid.
Well, I'm a pragmatic man, I'd say find a poor person and kick them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Well, I'm a pragmatic man, I'd say find a poor person and kick them.

There is an additive that might be an acceptable substitute, but it's so reasonably priced: http://www.ricambiamerica.com/940000277-washer-fluid-wurth-20-250ml.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

There is an additive that might be an acceptable substitute, but it's so reasonably priced: http://www.ricambiamerica.com/940000277-washer-fluid-wurth-20-250ml.html
Well, I've already got my boots on and had a glass of moloko plus, so it's too late now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Went to the Cars and Coffee event at Aston Martin New England. Got there late, and was totally bugged out by this rattling I was hearing from the engine bay.
At first, I thought it was just some resonance shaking an exhaust heat shield or similar. That's what it sounded like -- tinny and not really in time to car or engine speed.
But then I realized it wasn't happening at certain RPM -- it just came and went silent on its own.

I parked across from the dealer lot because it was full when I arrived. Looked at the exhaust shields -- those felt very solidly mounted.
Tried to start the car after it was fully hot -- it wouldn't even crank. I know the engine control is not happy with hot starts, so I wasn't too freaked out by that.

Because I was so distracted by what potential disaster could be brewing, I didn't take pictures as diligently as I should have.
There was a 458 there, didn't get a pic of it. Quite a few other Ferraris. The pics I did get: https://imgur.com/a/Otail
That white ACR at the end wasn't even at the show -- just randomly spotted driving on the street.

I parked the 348 in front of where I had lunch. Only a couple of people walking or driving by noticed it.
One guy loooooved it, and took enough pictures around it to do one of those 360 previews like in a car configurator.
He was still there when I got out, so hopefully enjoyed the car firing up.

Back to the rattle --
when we left the show (I left before the GT350 presumably ran over everyone), I idled the car in the lot for a bit.
The sound with the engine lid up sounded much more like a knock or banging at the front of the motor at the firewall.
Still not in time with the engine speed and not from inside the motor, but a lot lot more concerning. It was still going fully silent at intervals.
I drove maybe a quarter of a mile thinking whether I should just beg the shop to store it until the Ferrari mechanic got back from vacation.
Then I thought, maybe it's the AC compressor? I hadn't been running the AC the whole day with the targa top off.
I turned the AC on, and then turned it off, and several seconds after that, the knocking rate slowed down, and then stopped with one final seizing sound.
The car stayed quiet after lunch. Can an AC clutch partially catch? And stopped because it fully disengaged after I turned AC off?
Because I was headed toward a left turn, I can't quite remember if I turned the AC off before the knocking stopped or after.
Either way, the knocking stopped within several seconds of the AC turning off.
It's going on the list of things to get worked on when I check the car in after 4th of July.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Does it have electric fans? Does it have a separate fan that only comes on for the A/C, or is it a single fan with low/high? I wonder if you have a fan blade tapping a shroud or something.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
A/C compressor can definitely cause that kind of noise, I know one of my customers compressor almost sounds like rod knock when it happens (it doesn't always happen). He has been driving like that for 2 years apparently. Another car I work on makes a gentler knocking, almost like a top end noise.

Generally though if it's making noises it has probably already released debris into the a/c lines. If you change the compressor make sure they change the drier and tube/valve and do a thorough flushing so you don't kill the new compressor with FOD.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Raluek posted:

Does it have electric fans? Does it have a separate fan that only comes on for the A/C, or is it a single fan with low/high? I wonder if you have a fan blade tapping a shroud or something.

The fan and condenser are mounted in the front, and wasn't making a racket:

When I stuck my face into one of the side air intakes, it didn't sound like that fan (for the radiators) was hitting anything.

Going by that diagram, the compressor is right where I would think the sound is. A big question is whether that's accessible at all on a lift. At least it doesn't appear to be on a serpentine, though I dunno what the other component on the other belt is.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Probably A/C compressor, the one on my BMW sounded like rod knock when you started the car.
it didn't come and go, but instead of always there, and rattled a lot on decel like rod knock.

My A/C compressor never seemed to disengage (so the noise never stopped for me) so I bet you just get to buy a fancy compressor.

Best outcome of knocky noises coming from an engine for sure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tomorrow, I'll take the car to a body shop I've used in the past to look at the aftermarket targa top.
No luck with locating a NOS one. The Dutch shop that made a folding aftermarket one only made 5 ever, and those are all in private hands.
There's a shittier folding top for sale (that doesn't have latches up front, just tabs that wedge into place when you unfold the frame to its full size) for $1900, which isn't really tempting.

Asking FChat if it's possible to swap latch hardware from the 348 top to a 355 top, which is supposed to be dimensionally the same. There's a couple of those floating out there, but have not looked at prices yet.

After the body shop, dropping it off at shop to get oil, coolant and oil temp replacement. And to have them look at the compressor. Can't wait for the bill.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some other 348 owner voices discussing the 348's place in the Ferrari pantheon:
http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/i-owned-a-348-and-it-is-neither-slow-nor-ugly-it-1783134437
(fwiw, that fender doesn't look that flared to me. Not sure what they did except trim the lip)

The "last analog Ferrari" is an interesting but debatable distinction. It's true that past the 348, the 355 picked up power steering.
But I don't consider all power refinements to take away from the analog or direct feeling of a car.
Very few people (mattdizzle28?) would rather have unpowered brakes, as though that were the only way to feel how the brakes are working.

I'd rather have a car that feels direct and has communicative feedback than one that was as minimally powered as possible.
That seems to be what they're saying about the new NSX -- even though it's 9spd DCT, hybrid AWD, and brake by wire, it still feels like you're directly hooked up to it. And that's all you want from a driver's car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I was reading the 60th anniversary issue of Wheels magazine (major Australian car mag) and they absolutely bagged out the 348 twice in that issue for being one of the worst, if not worst, Ferraris ever made.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My shop's located a 348 top somewhere. I can't tell the shape from the initial pics sent, so need to follow up about whether it's usable/restorable.

You Am I posted:

I was reading the 60th anniversary issue of Wheels magazine (major Australian car mag) and they absolutely bagged out the 348 twice in that issue for being one of the worst, if not worst, Ferraris ever made.

If it's the worst Ferrari, then you can't really go wrong with other ones, I guess. It's not a bad sports car overall, whether it has that badge or not. The other cars from 1991 that are comparable have also held their price well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How can it be the worst? What about the Mondial, the 400, the 208/308?

The 348 at the very least looks like a Ferrari should.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've decided the douchiest Ferrari is the California. Saw one the other day and just hated how cheap it looked. It still sounded great, at least.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I didn't mind the look of the 348, except for the tail lights. The Mondial is an ugly bastard, because of its longer wheelbase for the rear seats.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I still lust for an LS-powered 400. The body is just awesome 80s Italian boxy and it tickles me in all the right ways. The horrifyingly underpowered and overcomplicated drivetrain, however, can gently caress right off. Plus, as opposed to a 355, I think this is actually attainable.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I still lust for an LS-powered 400. The body is just awesome 80s Italian boxy and it tickles me in all the right ways. The horrifyingly underpowered and overcomplicated drivetrain, however, can gently caress right off. Plus, as opposed to a 355, I think this is actually attainable.

Car publications and sites are still trying to make the 400 cool. It is not cool. The end. Why do you think they are cheap? and most of them I have seen are loving automatics. But if I had to have one it would have to be brown.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

kimbo305 posted:

I've decided the douchiest Ferrari is the California. Saw one the other day and just hated how cheap it looked. It still sounded great, at least.
:( The one from Ferris Bueller's Day off? I love that car.

Of course I'd only be able to afford a LS powered replica anytime soon. So does make it extra douchey?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nystral posted:

:( The one from Ferris Bueller's Day off? I love that car.

Of course I'd only be able to afford a LS powered replica anytime soon. So does make it extra douchey?

I'm guessing this one:

everdave posted:

Car publications and sites are still trying to make the 400 cool. It is not cool. The end. Why do you think they are cheap? and most of them I have seen are loving automatics. But if I had to have one it would have to be brown.

Really? I thought it was generally agreed upon that the 400 is definitely Not Cool. I mean, pull up in this and tell people it's a Ferrari and you'd probably get laughed at:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Maybe the 348 bash was due to the service interval and costs. The design is whatever you think of it but they feel like they're on rails and sound sublime.

As far as the 400 goes I think they're as cool as any other odd exotic from that era.

This view looks especially good but yeah it's a 3 speed auto.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ferrari/400i/1853568.html

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

kimbo305 posted:

That's the same conclusion that everyone came to when it was released.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sten Freak posted:

Maybe the 348 bash was due to the service interval and costs. The design is whatever you think of it but they feel like they're on rails and sound sublime.

As far as the 400 goes I think they're as cool as any other odd exotic from that era.

Hard to believe that was sold contemporaneously with the Testarossa.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

contemporaneously

Here :10bux:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kimbo305 posted:

They're lending me one to review on Friday in case you have any questions about it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A california is the one ferrari I've always wanted. A nice comfy GT car that I can just cruise in, but will wail like a banshee when I get on it. :ohdear:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrLogan posted:

That's the same conclusion that everyone came to when it was released.

I just want to know if it's a great car except for the fat and seemingly cynically designed looks.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Sten Freak posted:

If you squint at it real quick, it looks similar to a Jaguar XJS.

Which is a whole other can of worms.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Elmnt80 posted:

A california is the one ferrari I've always wanted. A nice comfy GT car that I can just cruise in, but will wail like a banshee when I get on it. :ohdear:

Can I interest Sir in the FF? Covers ground rather rapidly in rain or snow, and you can do the Costco run in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The FF is the number 2 ferrari I'd like to own, followed by the testarossa at #3. I have bad taste in cars.

• Locked thread