Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

hi ai, it's been years. i've been on a roll with good decisions lately so i decided to rectify that in buying this and posting here again.

I want that in my driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

Krakkles posted:

Cool Disco

thanks krakkles.

meatpimp posted:

Perfect way to describe that. Sorted in a very old-school way. Nicely done.

yeah it was obviously one guys pride at some point, it's had a lot of work done on it in the past few years up to and including a near-new chassis. the interior is a little messy but all the electrics work; even the as-standard on the es model heated seats. (it's got many more gadgets than my four years newer wrx)

PCOS Bill posted:

I want that in my driveway.

it's still a shock to see it in mine, it sticks out even here in the middle of the scottish countryside.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I used to see a white one half a mile from my house parked curbside. It slowly started getting shorter and shorter as the tires lost air, until finally it was resting on the wheels, someone smashed out the rear and left glass, and then it disappeared. It was really sad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

There really shouldn't be any turbo lag. did he have the truck tuned to work with the intercooler mods?

The 2012 ecoboost i had got into it almost immediately. just a little "whoosh" sound and suddenly it was making power. It was almost problematic, because you would be crusing and give it a little more throttle and the turbos would spool and it would break traction.

Also, the blowed up ecoboost i have in my garage was either killed by a combination of a "to-the-limit" tune, and an oiled air filter, or blocked coolant channels in the oil cooler. Most of the engine spit out purple coolant but the oil cooler let loose some green, I think that may be a problem. So, uhh, don't do dumb stuff to it.

I think the tune is factory. I might have to do something about that.
The turbo lag isn't bad, if I'm at anything beyond idle it's fine.
Maybe I just need to chill out?

hi ai, it's been years. i've been on a roll with good decisions lately so i decided to rectify that in buying this and posting here again.

sexy.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think the tune is factory. I might have to do something about that.
The turbo lag isn't bad, if I'm at anything beyond idle it's fine.
Maybe I just need to chill out?

sexy.

For giggles, go drain the catch can too. You'll either find it hilarious, or disgusting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ozmiander posted:

For giggles, go drain the catch can too. You'll either find it hilarious, or disgusting.

I already did. There was nothing.
I think I'm being a bit paranoid (new car doubt syndrome) but there is DEFINITELY a slight studder in engine just off idle. Whether it's stopping at a light or leaving one. It's not always consistent.
The PO took such great care of this truck both inside and out.
He also has several race cars and goes to events all over the country. I'm pretty sure it's not a maintenance issue.

stop, or my mom will post
Mar 13, 2005
Haven't posted in a while. This is my latest car. Went through an EVO8 and an EVOX before this (both running about 210awkw), so its quite a change to drop down to a car that only has a 1.5L sub-100kw engine but its hugely fun and pleasantly cheap to run.

edit:
Previous two for those interested

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Merry rainy and warm Christmas.

Vader
Jun 13, 2007

get to da choppa
Some pics from my recent trip.

Edit: resized

Vader fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 28, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Not enough CTR posts in AI. Thanks for sharing :)

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 28, 2018

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I got a Donald Trump Wig and an external mic for my GoPro, wired my M3 for sound and then drove through some tunnels.

https://vimeo.com/150190642

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wintermode.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

The Turtlebus is here.

Toyota hiace 2.5L Diesel (no turbo so it's slow as poo poo but will never let me down).

In the process of converting it into my home for the 6 months I plan to spend traveling Europe this summer. Progress has been halted due to a couple snapped glow plugs but it should be all back together soon enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

2.5L Diesel (no turbo

Does it have pedals so the driver and passenger can contribute to forward motion in the case of hills?

what kind of fuel economy would something like this get, and what kind of top speed would you expect on flat ground/6% grade?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's not so bad in a little van like the Hiace - once you get up to Transit sized things become interesting

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

Powershift posted:

Does it have pedals so the driver and passenger can contribute to forward motion in the case of hills?

what kind of fuel economy would something like this get, and what kind of top speed would you expect on flat ground/6% grade?

Wrt fuel economy but I'm seeing around 33-38MPG so that's not too bad. I am considering adding a mast + sails and rigging to help it up hills when the wind is good.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Is that imperial gallons or real gallons?

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

PenisMonkey posted:

Is that imperial gallons or real gallons?

My gallon is bigger than yours.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hope it's the little one. i'm up to almost 28 MPG imperial and i've got 7.3 liters and a big rear end turbo.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah I think mine gets what, 32 imperial out of a 3L and two turbos.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair it's a pain in the rear end to find the correct MPG figures because there are 2 completely different lines of hiace being produced (Euro 'powervan' models and the Japanese ones). I'll know for sure when I've got it kitted out and on the road again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

I hope it's the little one. i'm up to almost 28 MPG imperial and i've got 7.3 liters and a big rear end turbo.

Yeah but you ain't in Europe

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Turbos actually increase fuel economy in diesels iirc because they increase the efficiency so much

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I got a Donald Trump Wig and an external mic for my GoPro, wired my M3 for sound and then drove through some tunnels.

I wish there were tunnels around here. I'd put the mic up front because the exhaust on the F80 isn't as rad as the e9x but the sound of the turbos whining at WOT totally makes up for it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

This video gets me excited. I'm saving for an E90 M and hearing this ensures I'll be averaging something around 12 mpg

PenisMonkey posted:

I wish there were tunnels around here. I'd put the mic up front because the exhaust on the F80 isn't as rad as the e9x but the sound of the turbos whining at WOT totally makes up for it.

Having driven my neighbor's new M3 with the exhaust open having that whizpop on shifting is a delightful noise to hear with the windows down. I've heard him on the highway 3/4 of a mile away one night.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I don't know why people complain about the sound of the new M3. It's no V8 but it still sounds lovely. Especially if you disconnect the artificial engine noise amp thing. And again, hearing the turbos is great. Can't hear them on my sisters M6 for some reason.

Guess I'll post a lap at the track. Too much wind noise but meh.

http://youtu.be/1PfG5HcjMEc

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

PenisMonkey posted:

I don't know why people complain about the sound of the new M3.

I was going to youtube you to death but I know you like your car so I'll just say draw your own conclusion with the new BMW M ads and movie inserts (like Mission Impossible) where it's obvious they used the E9x V8 in place of yours :smith:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I was going to youtube you to death but I know you like your car so I'll just say draw your own conclusion with the new BMW M ads and movie inserts (like Mission Impossible) where it's obvious they used the E9x V8 in place of yours :smith:

I'm watching as friends that picked up the F8X M cars are jumping ship, already three locally have let theirs go. I certainly do not mean to rain on someone's parade as it's exciting to welcome a new addition to the garage, however even after a couple hours in the new platform is keeping me in the E9X era, or onto P-car world as the rest of the M3 Forum has done, hah.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Das Volk posted:

I agree that the V8 sounds better. But the six doesn't sound bad. I'll take the extra torque.

E: the cold start is annoying.

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 29, 2015

stump
Jan 19, 2006

dissss posted:

It's not so bad in a little van like the Hiace - once you get up to Transit sized things become interesting

Yeah my dad has a Renault Master (think sprinter size) with a 2.5 NA diesel and it's slow but not unbearable. You need to drive it hard to make and kind of progress but it'll cruise noisily at 80 mph. In fact it seems happier there, 70 mph seems like an uncomfortable place in the power band to sit at. You won't be making many single carriageway overtakes though. The facelifted ones with DCI engines are a totally different beast, and can easily be driven fast.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I like the diamond plate use. I'm inspired to pick up some black diamond plate and do the same on my old winter beater.

Insert plate here over rusty doors.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Recent picture of my FiST, almost at 30,000 miles now. Seems to be getting more rattles as time goes on but no mechanical problems thus far. Can't loving stand the god damned SYNC bullshit, it's seriously the worst part of the car, nothing but problems. If I get a text message and I don't read it, SYNC completely locks up and takes about 5 minutes to reboot. It's unresponsive as hell and the touch screen doesn't register that you've touched it half of the time. Other than that the car has been good to me and lots of fun. Seems to get about 28 MPG average with my driving.

MAP Exhaust/Mountune downpipe, DHM (stock sized) intercooler, MAP charge pipes w/ Turbosmart Vee Port BOV, tune by Tune+, Mountune springs, Motegi MR125 16x7 wheels. Will likely try to upgrade to a Focus RS next year once (if) dealer markup comes down, might possibly hold out for a used one. We shall see how that goes.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Coolnezzz posted:

Can't loving stand the god damned SYNC bullshit, it's seriously the worst part of the car, nothing but problems. If I get a text message and I don't read it, SYNC completely locks up and takes about 5 minutes to reboot. It's unresponsive as hell and the touch screen doesn't register that you've touched it half of the time.

Is this not something the dealer can fix if the car is still under warranty?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just handed in my black Fiesta ST lease in today with 29k miles and snagged a wicked cheap lease on a '16 Jetta S 'technology' 1.4T with apple car play.

So far the Jetta is much more refined than the Fiesta, just incredibly quiet and no rattles and vibration. The touch screen is light years ahead of myfordtouch, and apple carplay is great, except for apple maps which is much worse than google maps - maybe I'll snag a new phone to use android auto eventually.
The cushy suspension and super fat tires make easy work of poo poo NYC roads which is a welcome change from the ultra low profile tires and rock solid FiST suspension.

The Jetta's seats are pretty lame compared to the ST's Recaros, hard with no bolstering or heating, but I'll get used to them. Power from the 1.4T is better than I excepted, and gets up to speed nicely, not a rocketship but more than adequate. Cruises at 90 with no effort.

Overall the fun factor is down considerably, as the Fiesta's handling was razor sharp, partly thanks to the 140 treadwear summer tires. The Jetta has terrible 540 treadwear 'ecopia' tires which are very soft and mushy around corners. I wonder how much better it would be if I slapped on some lower profile Direzza star specs this summer.

I don't know if I'm going to bother doing any kind of mods to it, other than possibly an APR tune. If anything I'll grab an old Miata, plus I'm getting another literbike to satisfy my speed urges, so having a soft and comfy DD should be pretty nice.

Overall for the price I paid, 0 down, 0 first month and $186/mo, I don't think I could have done better.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
How do you make a Prius more pretentious?

Give it a Lexus badge :smuggo:

Picked up a babied 2013 CT200h with only 9k miles on it. We wanted a comfy highway cruiser that could also carry our dog + camping poo poo. Not the most AI 0-60 speed but quicker and better handling that you'd think a 3100lb hybrid would be.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Springfield Fatts posted:

How do you make a Prius more pretentious?

Give it a Lexus badge :smuggo:

Picked up a babied 2013 CT200h with only 9k miles on it. We wanted a comfy highway cruiser that could also carry our dog + camping poo poo. Not the most AI 0-60 speed but quicker and better handling that you'd think a 3100lb hybrid would be.
I keep looking at that and thinking it's a Mazda 3.
Except the Mazda 3 gets better highway mileage, and has a more powerful engine, and costs roughly half as much.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Except it doesn't actually get better highway mileage in hatchback trim or real life.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

You wouldn't think it's possible for an 'ecomobile' to be any more smug than a BMW i3, but there you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
We actually cross shopped it against a 3 hatch, but to get comparable features you'd need S Grand Touring or higher which would yeah get a livelier car at the cost of a much nicer interior and fuel economy. Since it's my wife's car 99% of the time and she doesn't give a poo poo about driving dynamics the Lexus won. It was also 3k less than the Mazda, so bonus. I was eyeing a Volvo V60 but this thing was just priced too good to pass up. I was just happy it wasn't boring-rear end silver or white.