Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Buggerlugs posted:

Arrived at work Friday to find one of the media servers offline, remote onto it and find every file has no icon, and every filetype now has the extension .xtbl - Not just ransomware, but the newest and most pervasive ransomware with no known method of removal. poo poo.

What kind of media server is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Che Delilas posted:

Yep. And it's important for us to realize that consciously. People come into these threads all the time saying things like, "I feel like I'm cheating, I don't understand how performing these tasks is worth that much money, it's not really that hard." The point is not that it's hard for us, it's that it's hard, borderline impossible, for everyone else.

It comes naturally to some people. I find so many people just lack critical thinking. My teachers drilled it into me. your job is 20% knowing what is needed to set up a basic network (backups AD whatever is needed to get it up and running) 75% google 10% knowing the most acronyms and 5% pretending your doing more then you really are.

Not sure it really breaks down like that but being able to google and knowing what stuff stands for is very helpful. It's really bad when a user is using an acronym properly that you don't know. Like when I was took a manufacturing job for a manufacturing company and didn't know what EDI was. and 3rd week I was in on a meeting about setting up a new EDI completely blind sided. Boy was that fun trying to answer questions to the other company without looking stupid / getting fired. (What VAN are you using answered with "Not sure I just started I'll find out and get back to you by the end of week" worked, and I was able to get them that info).

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have a tech related ethics question.

I work at a school. Home internet is a verizon 4g hotspot with limited data, but I like games. School has fast internet. I started downloading games onto my laptop to put over to my desktop last year, but they have since implemented barracuda web filter. It blocks steam and battle.net. I have a vpn on my laptop that can circumvent this. School is out for the summer and nobody is around. I downloaded some games, the wow client (fuckin huge, 50gb now jesus gently caress) and then play at home on my desktop and puny 4g lag poo poo. Is this unethical? I don't want to do it, but it's the easiest solution to the problem. I talked to the IT guy and he said it should be ok if I update stuff not during school/work hours, but I never mentioned a vpn. I did install it on the school computer briefly because my laptop is poo poo, but I uninstalled it after downloading just 2gb.

Is what I'm doing wrong?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I went to visit my parents, and my dad need help with "an e-mail problem"

Basically an outside e-mail address sent an e-mail to a bunch of his friends with his name in the From field, and his friends forwarded it back saying "what the gently caress".

"Okay dad there's nothing you can do about it but whatever you do do not click that link"

"okay" *clicks link*

sigh

I proceed to explain to him that you shouldn't click random poo poo that you get in an e-mail. He then shows a suspicious looking e-mail he got claiming to be from ez-pass and he was confused because the body of the e-mail was blank and there were no attachments to download even though he wasn't sure if it was legit to begin with.

...I pulled my mom aside and told her to back her poo poo up because it's only a matter of time before they get cryptoed.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

vandalism posted:

I work at a school. Home internet is a verizon 4g hotspot with limited data, but I like games. School has fast internet. I started downloading games onto my laptop to put over to my desktop last year, but they have since implemented barracuda web filter. It blocks steam and battle.net. I have a vpn on my laptop that can circumvent this. School is out for the summer and nobody is around. I downloaded some games, the wow client (fuckin huge, 50gb now jesus gently caress) and then play at home on my desktop and puny 4g lag poo poo. Is this unethical? I don't want to do it, but it's the easiest solution to the problem. I talked to the IT guy and he said it should be ok if I update stuff not during school/work hours, but I never mentioned a vpn. I did install it on the school computer briefly because my laptop is poo poo, but I uninstalled it after downloading just 2gb.

Is what I'm doing wrong?

Circumventing something like a web filter is usually considered A Bad Thing To Do especially in a school/corporate environment. Especially if there is a AUP or something you signed that explicitly mentions it.

I've never had it happen to me (granted the only time I've done this is on my own network) but I'm sure some companies/schools take AUP violations pretty seriously but ymmv.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Buggerlugs posted:

every file has no icon, and every filetype now has the extension .xtbl

Bill Cosby strikes again!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If it used to work and now doesn't due to filtering then it is almost certainly because they got a big bill one month and IT tracked it down to games sites, so if you circumvent it and there's another big bill caused by games sites then they'll dig even further and go down to the user level.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think I just snmpd myself.

:golfclap:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

vandalism posted:

Is what I'm doing wrong?

Wrong? No.

Can it get you fired? Yes.

Will it get you fired? Probably not. If your admins aren't smart enough to block VPN they probably aren't logging much.

Question is, is it worth getting fired to play WoW?

And ffs, buy some cheap 40 dollar a month DSL or something, christ.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
If I could get internet, I would. I live in a no service area. Yeah. I hosed up. I feel pretty bad and dumb now. I hope I'm ok.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

vandalism posted:

If I could get internet, I would. I live in a no service area. Yeah. I hosed up. I feel pretty bad and dumb now. I hope I'm ok.

You could try sucking up to the IT guy and have him whitelist you or something if he can. Bring him booze and/or explain your situation.

I found out (by accident) that I could bypass the web filter at my old job with an AWS SSH tunnel + browser proxy. I didn't do it again because even though I ran the IT department at the site I didn't control the filter and didn't feel like pissing off the people who did.

*edit* Good on you for uninstalling it from a school computer though. Installing unauthorized programs and getting caught is a surefire way to get in trouble. Back in highschool people would get in trouble for side-loading Firefox onto the school machines.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 10, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I bypassed the filter at work for over a year and then just like my baby boomer role models as soon as I got hired into the actual IT team I whitelisted myself then plugged the hole so nobody else could use the same workaround.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

vandalism posted:

Is what I'm doing wrong?

If you're asking this question, then you already know the answer.

edit: OK didn't see your reply, but I guess you came to the same conclusion. :hfive:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

vandalism posted:

I talked to the IT guy and he said it should be ok if I update stuff not during school/work hours, but I never mentioned a vpn.

Honestly, I think this is fine if IT already knows, and especially if you're doing this while school is out and most people aren't there (and especially during off peak hours). Talk to the IT guy again and make sure he's OK with you using a VPN, but really I can't imagine all of this being a problem unless your school somehow has a residential contact, or is itself using a 4G connection for internet. Bear in mind that Steam allows you to throttle your speeds as well, so you might want to ask if there's a rate which definitely won't hurt, and make sure that you avoid any days where teachers might be doing in service things.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

vandalism posted:

You're going to hell.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

vandalism posted:

If your IT guy is a decent human being just talk to him and ask if he's ok with you downloading a patch for your game because you're severely limited at home. He'll probably let you if you keep it outside regular school hours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gotta love a first-tier glorified Helldesker trying to fob you into doing their question sheet for them. No, I don't think saying "it's just for reference" on the phone will fly when the email explicitly says to finish and return it, buddy. And it's partially filled with the relevant ticket details.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gotta love a first-tier glorified Helldesker trying to fob you into doing their question sheet for them. No, I don't think saying "it's just for reference" on the phone will fly when the email explicitly says to finish and return it, buddy. And it's partially filled with the relevant ticket details.

Hahaha, that's a special kind of laziness right there.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I'm "on-call" this week which means in addition to my normal week of work, I'm responsible to respond to anything that comes in 6am to 8:30 am and 5:30 to 11pm. This is in addition to actually fixing VIP and site down issues. This is with a 15 minute response window too.

Good thing I just got a massive bottle of RUM. It's also work from home... :suicide:

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 11, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I'm "on-call" this week which means in addition to my normal week of work, I'm responsible to respond to anything that comes in 6am to 8:30 am and 5:30 to 11pm. This is in addition to actually fixing VIP and site down issues. This is with a 15 minute response window too.

Good thing I just got a massive bottle of RUM

So they give you 7 hours to sleep and 30 minutes to drive assuming 9-5? I mean I hope you actually have low call volume and you are maybe getting 1-2 calls during that call period.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

pixaal posted:

So they give you 7 hours to sleep and 30 minutes to drive assuming 9-5? I mean I hope you actually have low call volume and you are maybe getting 1-2 calls during that call period.

My first time on rotation I got... 9 calls, 20+ alerts in a single night. It's literally the worst.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

My first time on rotation I got... 9 calls, 20+ alerts in a single night. It's literally the worst.

At that volume that should be someone is on call instead of working (16h instead of 8 and just do 5-9) or make them dedicated shifts or make the morning or night someones job. Or gently caress it you know just have someone work that shift on site. 6-3 and 3-11. But no that would make too much sense. 3-11 would probably need to be saddled with some maintenance tasks but it's doable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I'm just going on my first on-call rotation. I am trying to remain optimistic, but....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

I'm just going on my first on-call rotation. I am trying to remain optimistic, but....

On the far end of the spectrum, I'm lucky to see maybe one call/alarm in a month while on-call.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the far end of the spectrum, I'm lucky to see maybe one call/alarm in a month while on-call.

I know everyone here has been happy because the callouts have dropped quite a bit since I started, but they have still been vague on how many that actually is. Based on bridge events, I would say probably 2-3 a week tho.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Same. Maybe even less. We rotate so for each person it's every 8th week for one week. Plus we give our guys comp time for any on-call work done. Then again, if my group's current on-call gets an after-hours it's because things are well and truly hosed and it usually ends up being a several hour thing. So, it's less "on-call" and more escalation of last resort.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pixaal posted:

At that volume that should be someone is on call instead of working (16h instead of 8 and just do 5-9) or make them dedicated shifts or make the morning or night someones job. Or gently caress it you know just have someone work that shift on site. 6-3 and 3-11. But no that would make too much sense. 3-11 would probably need to be saddled with some maintenance tasks but it's doable.

Agreed. That's not "On Call" that's a shift worth of work.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Also adding to the turd pile, on-call is not a solid stipe. Instead you get paid on an hourly basis on the basis of 'actual emergencies' so pretty much if I take the minimum 5 minutes to respond in ticket to the normal "halp i kant computer" tickets that come in which is in addition to the neverending stream of backup alerts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flosofl posted:

Same. Maybe even less. We rotate so for each person it's every 8th week for one week. Plus we give our guys comp time for any on-call work done. Then again, if my group's current on-call gets an after-hours it's because things are well and truly hosed and it usually ends up being a several hour thing. So, it's less "on-call" and more escalation of last resort.

Yeah same, for us if poo poo broke it had to REALLY break.

Also what I really want to know is why a first-point-of-contact Helldesk NOC doesn't have access to scheduled work/outage information on-hand. They had to "escalate it to the scheduled outage team". :psyduck:

And then lying in the email update afterwards, saying they had investigated that possibility "as-discussed during the phone call".

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

Don't use the word "just" there. Being able to "google it" (once known as research) makes technical people look like wizards because it's a real skill that the vast majority of people will never learn how to do well. The process of googling it involves dozens of little steps that you do automatically - almost subconsciously - before and after clicking the search button. Don't cheapen it.

Yeah, this. My boyfriend can use his computer, he can update software, install stuff, build his machines, etc. But god help him if he has to search for a solution for an error. I don't know how he manages to be both too specific and too vague at the same time. He can claim to spend all day looking for a solution and I can spend 30 seconds and find exactly what he's looking for in the first drat result. There is somewhat of an art to searching. And yeah, if you can do it right you look like a goddamn wizard.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

topenga posted:

Yeah, this. My boyfriend can use his computer, he can update software, install stuff, build his machines, etc. But god help him if he has to search for a solution for an error. I don't know how he manages to be both too specific and too vague at the same time. He can claim to spend all day looking for a solution and I can spend 30 seconds and find exactly what he's looking for in the first drat result. There is somewhat of an art to searching. And yeah, if you can do it right you look like a goddamn wizard.

RE: A ticket came in: Summon the Search Wizards

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

FireSight posted:

RE: A ticket came in: Summon the Search Wizards

It's not like you can go to the vendor sites, put in the error codes and get a useful result. No, you need someone who can not only read ten different conflicting solutions and come away with an answer, but also someone who can find those solutions in the first place by searching for common internet mis-spellings.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

topenga posted:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/mitsuhiko/status/752398314528731137

:downs:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No way

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
8 bit counter has to be enough for everyone, right guys?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
A ticket went out:

I got a notification last night that one of our critical scheduled backup jobs failed to start. Ok, no problem. Let me fire up LogMeIn and go see what happened. Nope not happening.

LogMeIn has contracted a case of security insecurity. They apparently reset all their users passwords to be "proactive" after "high profile breaches" of social media sites. Unfortunately their reset process requires that you have access to the email address used to create the LogMeIn account. I don't. The original address I used to create my account was tied to my old ISP and was taken out of service when I switched. So I submit a ticket to have my email address changed. After an hour of waiting and getting no response I give their support line a call. They answer the phone immediately, but can't change my email address to anything else without a signed letter on company letterhead adequately explaining the need for the change. Even after receiving said documentation it can take up to 48 hours to process the change. He then told me that I really should just "reactivate the original address".

At this point I thanked the poor help-desk monkey for making my life a living hell (sorry, I was pissed and I know it's not his fault, it was more for the quality control people if they happen to listen to the call) hung up the phone before he could respond and drove in to work at 1am (which required waking up the facilities manager to let me in the building) to restart a god drat script that should have been a 30 second task.

Needless to say I am in the market for a new remote access solution. What do you folks use these days?

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 12, 2016

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A call came in.

I get a call from the Residence Life staff this morning saying their computer won't come on after a storm yesterday. I told them I'd be over there in just a few minutes because I have a few things to catch up on. They proceed to tell me how important it is cause they're really busy. Yeah, ok.

I get over there and they're on the computer. It is running just fine. I ask them what happened.

:downs: "Oh, the maintenance man came in and kicked it and it started working."
:what: "He kicked it?"
:downs: "Yeah"
:what: "He came over here and physically struck the computer with his foot?"
:downs: "He went in the back and then came out and laid his hands on it."
:what: "Stop talking like that and tell me what he did!"
:downs: "He fixed it."

:suicide:

Apparently the maintenance guy reset a tripped breaker. Mystery loving solved.

Ignoring all calls from that department for the rest of the day. They've called four times since I started writing this.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Restraint Key posted:

Needles to say I am in the market for a new remote access solution. What do you folks use these days?

We just VPN+RDP and have Raritan Dominion KX2's as a backup. The raritans cause a bunch of extra cabling, but the features are pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Restraint Key posted:

A ticket went out:

I got a notification last night that one of our critical scheduled backup jobs failed to start. Ok, no problem. Let me fire up LogMeIn and go see what happened. Nope not happening.

LogMeIn has contracted a case of security insecurity. They apparently reset all their users passwords to be "proactive" after "high profile breaches" of social media sites. Unfortunately their reset process requires that you have access to the email address used to create the LogMeIn account. I don't. The original address I used to create my account was tied to my old ISP and was taken out of service when I switched. So I submit a ticket to have my email address changed. After an hour of waiting and getting no response I give their support line a call. They answer the phone immediately, but can't change my email address to anything else without a signed letter on company letterhead adequately explaining the need for the change. Even after receiving said documentation it can take up to 48 hours to process the change. He then told me that I really should just "reactivate the original address".

At this point I thanked the poor help-desk monkey for making my life a living hell (sorry, I was pissed and I know it's not his fault, it was more for the quality control people if they happen to listen to the call) hung up the phone before he could respond and drove in to work at 1am (which required waking up the facilities manager to let me in the building) to restart a god drat script that should have been a 30 second task.

Needless to say I am in the market for a new remote access solution. What do you folks use these days?

VPN and RDP, you should not be using LogMeIn on a server.

• Locked thread