Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
My friends have informed me that I'm hosting a space barbies reunion and "We fell off the wagon" meeting this weekend, since I own the most terrain and don't live with my parents. I don't even know what half of these boxes full of heavy clinky metal figures contain anymore, but apparently there are two bookshelves filled with them and I'm opening them up to find out this weekend. I'm probably going to play Guard. Or maybe Orks. Are those still a thing anymore?

Also, jesus loving christ these threads are still going. I'm both ashamed and proud of you guys, in equal measure.

Also, is that :vomarine: smiley still around?

Hey, it is. Awesome. :vomarine::vomarine:

e: Hey, top of page. Awesome. Have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Holy poo poo it's a Tadhg! And it's been so long that top of page pics are posted.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, we (I) just referenced Fro Kid not too long ago. Weird.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Safety Factor posted:

I hope that kid moved on to greener pastures, like drug abuse or something else less damaging than warhams.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
I'm not sure how current the grimdark goon map is, but I'm in California in the San Jose area and I've noticed a few other players around there. I'm potentially interested in finding people to play against if they're ok with casual scum who play bad armies badly (Grey Knights, terminators and dreadnoughts :whitewater: and Nurgle CSM eventually). I've seen people mention the Game Kastle(s) in the area and could make it to either one.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Karl Rove posted:

I'm not sure how current the grimdark goon map is, but I'm in California in the San Jose area and I've noticed a few other players around there. I'm potentially interested in finding people to play against if they're ok with casual scum who play bad armies badly (Grey Knights, terminators and dreadnoughts :whitewater: and Nurgle CSM eventually). I've seen people mention the Game Kastle(s) in the area and could make it to either one.

If you are interested in relaxed narrative type games...

We have an active group playing in Game Kastle Mountain View on Thursdays. It's narrative and fully painted is a requirement for that group but its a great group of guys who (if you dont have a fully painted force) are probably happy to play games outside of that.

Faultline 40k is the group.

Also The Independent Characters Podcast is local to the area of San Jose (hosted by me) we have been around for about 6 years (with a short break last year). We have a fairly large type of gaming group (Most are part of the Faultline group)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tadhg posted:

My friends have informed me that I'm hosting a space barbies reunion and "We fell off the wagon" meeting this weekend, since I own the most terrain and don't live with my parents. I don't even know what half of these boxes full of heavy clinky metal figures contain anymore, but apparently there are two bookshelves filled with them and I'm opening them up to find out this weekend. I'm probably going to play Guard. Or maybe Orks. Are those still a thing anymore?

Also, jesus loving christ these threads are still going. I'm both ashamed and proud of you guys, in equal measure.

Also, is that :vomarine: smiley still around?

Hey, it is. Awesome. :vomarine::vomarine:

e: Hey, top of page. Awesome. Have it.

Missed you buddy <3 welcome back to the hammiest place on earth.

Guard and Orks are both definitely still things. The Ork codex sucks, the Guard one's alright.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

Guard and Orks are both definitely still things. The Ork codex sucks, the Guard one's alright.

Isn't there a Space Odin fixed Ork codex? Is there a consensus if it's garbage or not?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

Isn't there a Space Odin fixed Ork codex? Is there a consensus if it's garbage or not?

He's been posting it and posting updates about it but I haven't played with it so I can't really give an informed opinion of it.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Ghost Hand posted:

If you are interested in relaxed narrative type games...

We have an active group playing in Game Kastle Mountain View on Thursdays. It's narrative and fully painted is a requirement for that group but its a great group of guys who (if you dont have a fully painted force) are probably happy to play games outside of that.

Faultline 40k is the group.

Also The Independent Characters Podcast is local to the area of San Jose (hosted by me) we have been around for about 6 years (with a short break last year). We have a fairly large type of gaming group (Most are part of the Faultline group)

This looks like exactly what I was hoping for! I'll get in contact over Facebook.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

The Impaler posted:

Holy poo poo it's a Tadhg! And it's been so long that top of page pics are posted.
Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated (by those hoping to inherit my space barbies fortune.)

Safety Factor posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I hope that kid moved on to greener pastures, like drug abuse or something else less damaging than warhams.
I haven't seen him in years now. No idea what happened to him, but I also haven't been by my FLGS in a long while. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything. Although I am now making "chasing the pewter dragon" my new euphemism for warhams addiction.

SRM posted:

Sup, broham :respek: Glad to see you're still hanging around here. Doing much playing these days?

And Karl Rove, you've got some truly awesome people in that area to play with. Those guys are all class acts, and I'm honestly a bit envious. Enjoy yourselves!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Thinking about auctioning off my Sisters of Battle at Gencon, before I do that, is there any interest in like 3,000 points of space ladies here?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tadhg posted:

Sup, broham :respek: Glad to see you're still hanging around here. Doing much playing these days?
It's slowed down a little as of late because I was moving, but I've got a game Saturday and hopefully a game tomorrow night! I'll be at NOVA playing a buttload of games too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day where GW could legitimately sue Disney (or rather Marvel specifically) for copyright infringement without it being on some frivolous technicality.

Apparently scans from a new Iron Man comic:

Hell, you can't even attempt to claim coincidence of design for the vehicles, because that is blatantly the Tau logo on the hatch.

Now, admittedly they probably won't, because even with the mouse blatantly in the wrong they'd probably just continue throwing money at the case until GW went under, but then again GW has been known to make rather poor legal decisions in the past. Multiple times.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Deviant posted:

Thinking about auctioning off my Sisters of Battle at Gencon, before I do that, is there any interest in like 3,000 points of space ladies here?

I could use a few things, but probably can't give you crazy auction money for them. Are you interested in splitting it up?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Lord Koth posted:

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day where GW could legitimately sue Disney (or rather Marvel specifically) for copyright infringement without it being on some frivolous technicality.
Hell, you can't even attempt to claim coincidence of design for the vehicles, because that is blatantly the Tau logo on the hatch.
Now, admittedly they probably won't, because even with the mouse blatantly in the wrong they'd probably just continue throwing money at the case until GW went under, but then again GW has been known to make rather poor legal decisions in the past. Multiple times.

I wonder if this is a case of playful references where the artist was a big Tau fan, or if this is a case of Google Image Search "future alien tank ship"

edit: What's funny though is it's not like comic readers and WH40K Hams don't swim in the same pool and won't recognize it

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 13, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

moths posted:

I could use a few things, but probably can't give you crazy auction money for them. Are you interested in splitting it up?

I was hoping to unload as much as possible together, for obvious reasons. I don't expect to get crazy auction money, they're not pro painted or anything, i just don't want to slap them in an auction and hear "SOLD FOR FIIIIIVE DOLLARS"

I'll get a list together later and PM you. Lots of generic sisters, special weapon troops, seraphim, immolators, exorcists, characters, pretty much drat near the entire book except penitent engines in some capacity.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Lord Koth posted:

That's not from Iron Man and it's several months old. If GW was going to do something about it, they would've done so already. They didn't sue Marvel for putting a bolt pistol in Spider-Man comics before the Mouse owned them, they're not going to do so now. At most I suspect you'll see the offending ships changed when they print the collection of these issues.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MrSlam posted:

I wonder if this is a case of playful references where the artist was a big Tau fan, or if this is a case of Google Image Search "future alien tank ship"

edit: What's funny though is it's not like comic readers and WH40K Hams don't swim in the same pool and won't recognize it

Glancing through the comics section for what they had to say about this, no. The artist is a hack who's traced stuff from other properties in the past as well. Hell, it's not even well done given you can see the wall through the Skyray's hatch. It's just that in this specific instance it may be amusing since GW is known to be extremely litigious over even perceived minor copyright infringements - and this one is neither minor nor merely perceived.

edit: But yeah, after actually tracking down that it was printed a few months ago, I'll agree that they're likely doing nothing, if they even noticed it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 13, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Deviant posted:

I was hoping to unload as much as possible together, for obvious reasons. I don't expect to get crazy auction money, they're not pro painted or anything, i just don't want to slap them in an auction and hear "SOLD FOR FIIIIIVE DOLLARS"

I'll get a list together later and PM you. Lots of generic sisters, special weapon troops, seraphim, immolators, exorcists, characters, pretty much drat near the entire book except penitent engines in some capacity.

Send me a copy. I have a friend with more money than brains who collects Sisters.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Deviant posted:

I am also interested in seeing what you may have.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Deviant posted:

Thanks, I'd appreciate that!

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Hihohe posted:

I agree with this. Its also canon as IG armies sometimes mixnmatch regiments.

My guard army is mainly based on Franco-Prussian War Frenchies. Normal guys are generally Cadians. I use Valhallans as Grenadiers (Veterans) since they have the big coats and whatnot. I've got Tallarns and Catachans to represent the 'Foreign Legion.' Mainly because I've collected my guys from a variety of sources over time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lord Koth posted:

If GW tries to sue people for using the word "Space Marine" but doesn't sue over this, they should be laughed out of court for the rest of forever.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It'd be hard to sue someone who's going to go "Oh, crap, sorry. We'll stop selling this book we already stopped selling months ago".

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Me too. and I loved doing random conversions to model various things. Here's a unit of Tallarn Veterans modeled with shotguns, a flamer, and a demo charge. All of the weapons are converted (they never made a flamer-equipped Tallarn).

These are some old metal Catachans painted up as Penal Legion (with the Mordian serving as their warden/sergeant). Of course, GW are assholes and removed the Penal Troops from the most recent Codex. :argh: It's not so much a conversion as using the paint scheme and color choices to convey very clearly what the troopers are (in this case, a gang of impressed/convict deck-hands led by an Imperial Navy Rating).

This is a Tallarn Rough Rider on one of the Mutie Raider mounts from GorkaMorka. This "conversion" was really easy, but is full of character.

These ones turned out way better than I had any hope of expecting. They are the ancient plastic IG Stormtroopers (well, the sergeant and special weapon guys are metal), which I think may have been GW's very first non-vehicle plastic kit. I painted them up as veteran mountaineering troops.

I had to trim off the "hot-shot lasgun" cable that ran from the bottom of the gun's hand-grip around the thigh and to the back pack (which was a separate piece). I turned the back-pack connector into a belt pouch. The bag-and-rope backpacks are actually the saddle bags from the GorkaMorka Mutie Raiders used for the Tallarn Rough Rider conversion above, but I thought they fit perfectly for mountaineering troops. They also cover up the lack of detail on the mini's back (as it was intended to be covered by the hot-shot backpack).

The minis themselves have very shallow/very little detail, but the camouflage pattern gives them a little more visual interest. They look really nice at table-top distance.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 13, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

If GW tries to sue people for using the word "Space Marine" but doesn't sue over this, they should be laughed out of court for the rest of forever.

GW only goes to court when they think it is in their best interest. Even though they would likely win a claim against Marvel/Disney, it would cost an absolute fortune and Disney would drag out the proceedings until GW was but a withered husk, floating on the wind.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

In games this would be a lawsuit as it's blatant plagiarism and IP theft.

The bottom line is- how much money would they make? Is it a big publisher? Because if it is, they can sue for damage to their brand, settle, and get later editions edited. Artist should be fired as well, but that's an internal thing.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ilor posted:

These ones turned out way better than I had any hope of expecting. They are the ancient plastic IG Stormtroopers (well, the sergeant and special weapon guys are metal), which I think may have been GW's very first non-vehicle plastic kit. I painted them up as veteran mountaineering troops.

Nah, those stormies are from well into 2nd Ed. GW's first plastics were the RTB01 Beakie Marines. They do look rad though and would have been a good candidate for a more modern regiment.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Y'know looking at those pages, I think they're actually just rips of DoW's Skyray models. They've got that low poly look and there's pixilation all over the place.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The Tau FAQ is up on Facebook. Now you can kill an anchored Stormsurge by tank shocking it.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1647523438901622&id=1575682476085719

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The whole thing looks like pure poo poo made by shoving models in Google SketchUp and giving up halfway while trying to overpaint.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ilor posted:

Old IG guys

These models are all rad as gently caress. The Penal Legion guys have a real Aliens feel about them with the metal deck plating and their paint scheme, and using a Mordian for the warden is a nice touch.

I like how the missile turret and drones are super loving tiny for some reason. I saw this image floating around a while back and yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were overpainted models from Dawn of War.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were overpainted models from Dawn of War.

According to BSS they're upscaled Poser models. Which explains why the doors are so tiny because they weren't attached to the main body.
Apparently that artist has a history of shortcuts. Like using repainted Quake screenshots for backgrounds but forgetting to remove the crosshairs. :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

According to BSS they're upscaled Poser models. Which explains why the doors are so tiny because they weren't attached to the main body.
Apparently that artist has a history of shortcuts. Like using repainted Quake screenshots for backgrounds but forgetting to remove the crosshairs. :v:

That's frankly kind of amazing

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If you look at the top image, the contour lines for the door and the semicircle on the wings are polygonal instead of circular.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SRM posted:

These models are all rad as gently caress.
Thanks! Coming from you, I take that as a huge compliment; I've always been impressed as hell with your stuff.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Deviant posted:

Might be, but such is...price dependent. I have a bonus inbound, but amount and date are TBD. Sisters were always the only Imperial army I'd play.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The guys at http://goodbadgreenskin.tumblr.com/ swear by it, and I think they used my first version. V5 has lots of silly poo poo toned down, removed, or cost-adjusted. I included a useful megaformation, but don't really use any myself.

Lots of stuff GW did with Orks was silly garbage, but they've learned nothing. The Tellyport Blasta getting nothing more than an additional 6" to its pithy range when the Wazbom Blastajet "upgraded" it to the Tellyport MEGAblasta was less a twist of the knife and more of this weird paradox: completely predictable in its underpowered-ness, yet done in an utterly unforseen way. I'm almost impressed.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I have indeed used this codex and I was happy with it.

I haven't looked at version 5. The only thing which stood out is that running and charging in the same turn with the WAAAGH can be quite crazy in terms of covering distance, but that's how it was in previous codexes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

The guys at http://goodbadgreenskin.tumblr.com/ swear by it, and I think they used my first version. V5 has lots of silly poo poo toned down, removed, or cost-adjusted. I included a useful megaformation, but don't really use any myself.

Only just checking it out and it looks pretty good! One thing though. I'm looking at v5 and can't find descriptions for the Dead Choppy, Krushin' Blow and Red Goes Fasta! rules. Am I being blind or did they get missed out?

e: Apparently I'm blind. Found them in the Wargear section at the bottom.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 14, 2016

• Locked thread