Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Siochain posted:

Arrma is here on .ca - https://www.amazon.ca/Arrma-Ar102604-Granite-Mega-Truck/dp/B00LPIF434/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467992228&sr=8-2&keywords=arrma
I've got the Talion from them, GREAT vehicle. Excellent recommendation by Oz with the Granite.

Ruckus is here on .ca - https://www.amazon.ca/ECX-Ruckus-4WD-Monster-Truck/dp/B01A9PSX6S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467992490&sr=8-2&keywords=ecx+ruckus
Also good, but at a weird $100 more than it should be, the Arrma would be a better buy.

Thanks! yeah I don't care how good the ECX is it's a ripoff at that price. The other one looks fun I'll look into it. Thanks a ton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
FWIW my big jump to RCs was a brushless Stampede 4x4. It's a blast, but probably out of your price range, especially when we talk extra batteries and a better charger, but you could get those over time. I have almost $600 USD into it just with a decent charger and 2x 2S lipo batteries. I'd like to go 3S at some point but then I'd need an ESC fan and a bunch of spare part that I'd destroy from going that fast.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

FWIW my big jump to RCs was a brushless Stampede 4x4. It's a blast, but probably out of your price range, especially when we talk extra batteries and a better charger, but you could get those over time. I have almost $600 USD into it just with a decent charger and 2x 2S lipo batteries. I'd like to go 3S at some point but then I'd need an ESC fan and a bunch of spare part that I'd destroy from going that fast.

Well at the end of the day I'm the kind of guy that goes over budget to be sure he's happy. No idea if it will be possible but I'll do my best to get the 380$ stampede on amazon. I'll be able to buy more stuff later.

Thanks again for the help!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Iznogood posted:

Well at the end of the day I'm the kind of guy that goes over budget to be sure he's happy. No idea if it will be possible but I'll do my best to get the 380$ stampede on amazon. I'll be able to buy more stuff later.

Anytime! I would definitely do as another poster suggested and make a second battery and a quality charger your first two upgrades. Let us know if you need help picking them out.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kibner posted:

Anytime! I would definitely do as another poster suggested and make a second battery and a quality charger your first two upgrades. Let us know if you need help picking them out.

I'll make sure to ask. Anyways, I won't be fixed on anything until the 15th. This should give me more time to look into the hobby. But it seems that as good as all these cars can ben traxxas is the better one for me because of all the possible upgrades. I had wished there was some cheap model (200$ish) that it is possible to upgrade eventually to 1000$+ super rc. Seems I was right but the entry price is much higher (400$-500$) then expected.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You can find 90% as many parts for the ARRMA Granite as the Stampede tbh.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Ozmiander posted:

You can find 90% as many parts for the ARRMA Granite as the Stampede tbh.

Ah! I thought a guy in a video had said a con against arrma was much less parts. So could I take a granite and upgrade the motor to brushless and other stuff to make it a better rc? I mean is it a good foundation to start on? How good can a arrma granite get?

Is there any website that has examples of upgrade paths for rc? You know some blog of a guy upgrading his stuff part by part.

Thanks!!

edit: oh google my friend: http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/granite/mega/story-board

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Iznogood posted:

Ah! I thought a guy in a video had said a con against arrma was much less parts. So could I take a granite and upgrade the motor to brushless and other stuff to make it a better rc? I mean is it a good foundation to start on? How good can a arrma granite get?

Is there any website that has examples of upgrade paths for rc? You know some blog of a guy upgrading his stuff part by part.

Thanks!!

edit: oh google my friend: http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/granite/mega/story-board

The standard upgrade path is to drive it breaking and upgrading every broken part as you go. Then when you blow the brushed motor, grab a brushless kit and keep going!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Iznogood posted:

I wasn't 100% sure that the stampede you linked was brushless. I was under the impression all the 4x4 stampedes were brushless, but this was years ago when I got mine. Might be something to double check if you're still looking at a stampede.

The stampede 4x4 is a great all-rounder because it's not a low slung racing chassis. It handles high grass and hills and dirt and gravel awesome. Unless you're wanting to race, the stampede is great.

Iznogood posted:

I'll make sure to ask. Anyways, I won't be fixed on anything until the 15th. This should give me more time to look into the hobby. But it seems that as good as all these cars can ben traxxas is the better one for me because of all the possible upgrades. I had wished there was some cheap model (200$ish) that it is possible to upgrade eventually to 1000$+ super rc. Seems I was right but the entry price is much higher (400$-500$) then expected.

My friend has a Bandit, which there are many parts available for, but he wished he would have just bought something else since he's not racing it. Currently it's converted to a rustler which gives it a bit more track so it's not as twitchy. It's stupid fast because he converted it to brushless (there is a VXL bandit kit available) and runs 3S batteries in it. It will do 50-60 easily. With all the money he spent on it fixing/upgrading and his use case (just bashing around), he would have preferred to get something else.

In the end, just think about what you're going to likely use it for and go from there.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

I wasn't 100% sure that the stampede you linked was brushless. I was under the impression all the 4x4 stampedes were brushless, but this was years ago when I got mine. Might be something to double check if you're still looking at a stampede.

The stampede 4x4 is a great all-rounder because it's not a low slung racing chassis. It handles high grass and hills and dirt and gravel awesome. Unless you're wanting to race, the stampede is great.

My friend has a Bandit, which there are many parts available for, but he wished he would have just bought something else since he's not racing it. Currently it's converted to a rustler which gives it a bit more track so it's not as twitchy. It's stupid fast because he converted it to brushless (there is a VXL bandit kit available) and runs 3S batteries in it. It will do 50-60 easily. With all the money he spent on it fixing/upgrading and his use case (just bashing around), he would have preferred to get something else.

In the end, just think about what you're going to likely use it for and go from there.

Do you know what he wished he'd get instead and why? Is a since he's x amount in at that price he could of gotten whatever? Or he thinks some other model would have been better for him for the same investment and upgrade path?

Also why the "since he's not racing it"? because it's really what it's best at and anything else is lickely to break it? Cause I love the look of these bugguies and I don't need to run on highgrass.

I know lots of questions hope I am not abusing! Thanks a ton.

BTW about what I expect to do with it: I am not sure but I can tell you I am not into competitive anything so no racing for sure and about potential damage I'd say I am not the kind of guy that takes a risk with 500$ worth of technology. Not the kind of guy that wonders how far my rc would fly off of the roof. Not saying I am immune to accident/damage just saying I am not a crazy teen. And I like my things to stay intact as much as possible without ruining my fun of course. I've seen videos of dirt race tracks and I would take these jumps.

edit: haha I keep changing my mind. Lucky I cannot impulse buy anything right now. I am interested by the bandit especially because on amazon it's really cheap compared to everything else. 235 CAN$ prime is really a good price for me. Leaves plenty of room for the accessories.
https://www.amazon.ca/Traxxas-24054-1-Bandit-Ready---Race/dp/B00OK3AD9G

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 9, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Iznogood posted:

Do you know what he wished he'd get instead and why? Is a since he's x amount in at that price he could of gotten whatever? Or he thinks some other model would have been better for him for the same investment and upgrade path?

Also why the "since he's not racing it"? because it's really what it's best at and anything else is lickely to break it? Cause I love the look of these bugguies and I don't need to run on highgrass.

I know lots of questions hope I am not abusing! Thanks a ton.

BTW about what I expect to do with it: I am not sure but I can tell you I am not into competitive anything so no racing for sure and about potential damage I'd say I am not the kind of guy that takes a risk with 500$ worth of technology. Not the kind of guy that wonders how far my rc would fly off of the roof. Not saying I am immune to accident/damage just saying I am not a crazy teen. And I like my things to stay intact as much as possible without ruining my fun of course. I've seen videos of dirt race tracks and I would take these jumps.

edit: haha I keep changing my mind. Lucky I cannot impulse buy anything right now. I am interested by the bandit especially because on amazon it's really cheap compared to everything else. 235 CAN$ prime is really a good price for me. Leaves plenty of room for the accessories.
https://www.amazon.ca/Traxxas-24054-1-Bandit-Ready---Race/dp/B00OK3AD9G

https://www.amazon.ca/Arrma-Ar10261...ds=arrma+raider

Similar, but already brushless.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
drat it, now i'm considering a buggy.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Had seen this one but had written it off because not traxxas. Now depending on budget it's quite interesting. At this point I think if I overestimated my budget a lot I'll just get the bandit and build off of that. But hey still 7 days so I should change my mind 14 times at leats before then!

Also praying one of these does not get a huge rebate on prime day (july 12th).

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Iznogood posted:

Had seen this one but had written it off because not traxxas. Now depending on budget it's quite interesting. At this point I think if I overestimated my budget a lot I'll just get the bandit and build off of that. But hey still 7 days so I should change my mind 14 times at leats before then!

Also praying one of these does not get a huge rebate on prime day (july 12th).

Traxxas is pretty overrated, and i say that as an owner. ECX and ARRMA are both owned by major R/C companies, so you shouldn't ever worry about quality or support with them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ozmiander posted:

Traxxas is pretty overrated, and i say that as an owner. ECX and ARRMA are both owned by major R/C companies, so you shouldn't ever worry about quality or support with them.

Parts for Arrma are a little harder to get up here, but amazon/ebay still have everything. Just less shops carry them.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Siochain posted:

Parts for Arrma are a little harder to get up here, but amazon/ebay still have everything. Just less shops carry them.

I pretty much order everything online anyways. But there is a shop in Granby 30 minutes from here and they carry a lot of stuff. I want to go check out the rc cars to get a feal for size and everything. Also see what they carry but being a small hobby shop in a small town they are expensive. Also they have a bad reputation with service.

About buying a used one. I'm deadly afraid of buying some horrible lemon of a car. Like a motor that's on it's last leg. Or swapped cheap parts. I could never evaluate something like that. not yet anyways.

If I could buy from someone who I trust I would not mind used at all. Much more stuff for the money I am sure. But I have zero friends with the hobby.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Found a classified very close to me with what is or is not a good deal.
It's in french I'll try to translate every technical details.

Traxxas rustler
Modified with combo castle sidewinder 3 (engine 5700kv) with 3 batteries(3s, 2s). Front suspension is new and the combo too (2 months). is really fast. Will not charge past 2500mah so the power block must be changed. otherwise it's in order and runs very well.

Asking price is 300 CAN$. i'd pick it up and test it in person he's 15 minutes from me. So is 300 fair? great? A ripoff? Looking on the web it seems the car is not woirth much more new but the batteries and upgrades?

I contacted the seller and I should go see it soon. Unless you guys say it's not a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

edit: attempting to answer my own questions.
On bestbuy.ca the rustler is 280$ with a brushed motor.
The Sidewinder 3 with NC1406-5700kV motor is 110$.

So right there I'm at 390$ + presumably 3 extra batteries, etc.. I told the guy I expected to see the car run before I buy it he said no problems. I'll check that each batteries functions too I guess.

Have to say I am tempted a lot. I know being used is not that big of a deal because anything that could fail I can change. I'll still wait for you guy's input but yeah I wonder if I can do better buying new.

edit2: holy poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_TbYw-TrM

edit3: wait. It's the vxl one. So it's more then 280$. I think I'll go see it. From what I know (not very much but still) it cannot be a horrible deal. Reviews are great for the rustler. Looks good.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 10, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Iznogood posted:

Found a classified very close to me with what is or is not a good deal.
It's in french I'll try to translate every technical details.

Traxxas rustler
Modified with combo castle sidewinder 3 (engine 5700kv) with 3 batteries(3s, 2s). Front suspension is new and the combo too (2 months). is really fast. Will not charge past 2500mah so the power block must be changed. otherwise it's in order and runs very well.

Asking price is 300 CAN$. i'd pick it up and test it in person he's 15 minutes from me. So is 300 fair? great? A ripoff? Looking on the web it seems the car is not woirth much more new but the batteries and upgrades?

I contacted the seller and I should go see it soon. Unless you guys say it's not a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

edit: attempting to answer my own questions.
On bestbuy.ca the rustler is 280$ with a brushed motor.
The Sidewinder 3 with NC1406-5700kV motor is 110$.

So right there I'm at 390$ + presumably 3 extra batteries, etc.. I told the guy I expected to see the car run before I buy it he said no problems. I'll check that each batteries functions too I guess.

Have to say I am tempted a lot. I know being used is not that big of a deal because anything that could fail I can change. I'll still wait for you guy's input but yeah I wonder if I can do better buying new.

edit2: holy poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_TbYw-TrM

edit3: wait. It's the vxl one. So it's more then 280$. I think I'll go see it. From what I know (not very much but still) it cannot be a horrible deal. Reviews are great for the rustler. Looks good.

Solid enough deal. If the batteries are good - ie hold a charge, not "puffy" (aka they should not be swollen), its not too bad at all. Used is a great way to start to :)

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Siochain posted:

Solid enough deal. If the batteries are good - ie hold a charge, not "puffy" (aka they should not be swollen), its not too bad at all. Used is a great way to start to :)

Well I bought it!! Went at the guy's house and it was a teen and his dad. The kid showed me everything on the car making sure to point out all the problems.
Missing the two pins to hold the chassis on.
Wrong power supply for the lipro balance charger (imax b6) so will not charge the 4000 battery.

That's it.

I got to try it, it's very very fast. First time I floored it it just made a flip on its back. I have spare parts for the brushless motor, and other ziploc bags with plastic parts in them.

Lots of scratches on the body and frame and a little rust on some screws. Inspected it for cracks and nothing. I'll post pics later or tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone who helped! I guess I can stay here now I "belong" :dance:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Iznogood posted:

Well I bought it!! Went at the guy's house and it was a teen and his dad. The kid showed me everything on the car making sure to point out all the problems.
Missing the two pins to hold the chassis on.
Wrong power supply for the lipro balance charger (imax b6) so will not charge the 4000 battery.

That's it.

I got to try it, it's very very fast. First time I floored it it just made a flip on its back. I have spare parts for the brushless motor, and other ziploc bags with plastic parts in them.

Lots of scratches on the body and frame and a little rust on some screws. Inspected it for cracks and nothing. I'll post pics later or tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone who helped! I guess I can stay here now I "belong" :dance:

Nice! Congrats. Body's are cheap, but scratches happen and are way too fun!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Siochain posted:

Pay very close attention to this post about those LiPo batteries! We don't want your house to burn down or anything.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kibner posted:

Pay very close attention to this post about those LiPo batteries! We don't want your house to burn down or anything.

I am!!
One of the batteries (the 2s) is taped up but not bulged. The other ones are a turnigy 5.0 model T5000 that looks almost new. And a onyx 4000 that is indeed a little "round" I would say. Soft too I can press into it. Maybe I should just dump this one?

Anyways I don't intend to let them charging out of sight and I won't leave them in the rustler when not in use.

edit: HA HA HA I broke it! Lost control on grass and rolled hard. Back wheel a plastic support just snapped. Oh well. I'll just order a new one when I find out the name of it. Should be easy enough. Surprised it broke that easy tho. Not my first crash but I guess it hit "just right" or maybe there was a fault. Anyways should not be too expensive.

Rear Bearing Carrier is qhat broke.

Just looked in the ziploc bags and there is one in there! looks brand new! So yeah hurray!

And now everything is great again donuts are being made in dirt. Very easy repair.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 11, 2016

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I am having so much fun. Found the trim controls and got the car going hella straight. I cannot believe on easy the handling on this guy is. Also I have yet to push it to the max since frankly I am too afraid. It goes very fast. Fast enough at this point. I don't want to imagine when I pop a s3 in there.

Like I said in the last post repairing it was very easy and very fun.

Ordered the little tool for the wheels and a new body on amazon. I guess I could of told you guy's I'm a enthusiast model kit builder (cars, planes, etc..) so fixing a rc is nothing.

Doing donuts in gravel should not be this fun.

Here's my little guy:

edit: Question if I may.
The seller told me the heatsink (sidewinder combo stuff on top of the battery not the one out back) would heat up a lot with a s3. Was wondering how much I needed to worry about that. Can I run it a little? What would happen if it heated up too much (kind of damage)? My "plan" is to run it by little bursts first and keep touching the heatsink to monitor the temp. Laser temp reader on its way but amazon has shat itself with canada post strike fears. Prime delivery gets me my stuff monday..

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 12, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

3S definitely generates a lot more heat than 2S, enough so that on certain ESC's (like the one you have, most likely) you need to be aware of it. Generally if it gets to hot it should have thermal protection and stop operation before burning up, but that doesn't always work as intended especially if it gets really hot really fast. I don't mean to scare you from 3S, just know you'll need to be watching it.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

3S definitely generates a lot more heat than 2S, enough so that on certain ESC's (like the one you have, most likely) you need to be aware of it. Generally if it gets to hot it should have thermal protection and stop operation before burning up, but that doesn't always work as intended especially if it gets really hot really fast. I don't mean to scare you from 3S, just know you'll need to be watching it.

Thanks!

Figured just having the battery in would not make my little town explode I did the following:
1- Put the battery in
2- stand my rustler on a box of tissues
3- check the "has not run" temp with instant read thermometer (for cooking). 75f
4- run moderate check temp 90+
5- give it a good go for 10-15 seconds tires baloon like crazy temp still around 100.
6 go outside and use it for 5 minutes. It is so loving fast I have pretty much never floored it.
7- rear suspension pops out of it's support end of run.
8- temp 155f + this is getting unconfortably hot.

So I think I have repaired the suspension but I bet it will fail on me again so I'll add that to my amazon order I guess.
As for using a s3 I think I don't "need" right now since I'm not trying to beat a speed record. ANd the heat does bother me but I see that I can manage it. Not like the whole thing bursts in flame the moment I start it.

I'll eventually just stick a fan in there and work on managing heat. In the meanwhile I am having a ton of fun on a s2.

Not sure what broke last time tho. The suspension arm popped out of it's top support. I put it back in and screwed it. So not sure what part to replace. But the way this is going I am contemplating replacing all the really used plastic parts.

And uneven grass is more dangerous than it seems at high speeds.

edit: oh amazon.. No suspension nothing. Guess it time I visit that hobby shop I talked about. Looks like my suspension is not stock because I find nothing that looks like mine on traxxas exploded view.
Mine look very much like that: http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Big_Bore_Shocks_Slash_p/tra5862.htm

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 12, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Iznogood posted:

edit: oh amazon.. No suspension nothing. Guess it time I visit that hobby shop I talked about. Looks like my suspension is not stock because I find nothing that looks like mine on traxxas exploded view.
Mine look very much like that: http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Big_Bore_Shocks_Slash_p/tra5862.htm

If you didn't get the physical manual with the car, see if you can find an online version of it. It should have a parts listing so that you can find exactly the (stock) part you need. If nothing else, it will give you the name of it so you can google that for alternatives.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kibner posted:

If you didn't get the physical manual with the car, see if you can find an online version of it. It should have a parts listing so that you can find exactly the (stock) part you need. If nothing else, it will give you the name of it so you can google that for alternatives.

I know the part( from the looks of it it's all one part) so it would be a new rear suspension. My problem is not a big one it's just that amazon.ca has none. I'll find one easy enough just I like buying stuff on amazon it's simple, fast and cheap. Bet I'll find everything I want off ebay (my usual plan b).

I'm learning lessons. Very fast on concrete is ok. Not on grass. Especially my grass that is a mess of holes and bumps. Also a ton of small branches I think one of them did me in here.

edit:
Decided to take the shocks off to make sure everything is ok. 2 things. First I guess it was just unscrewed because it seems to hold very well I don't think it's poping out anytime soon. Second thing is I need to oil these guy's cause they have almost no oil left and it's black.

I think I'll just buy new ones. Called the store they have the original traxxas ones at 22 CAN$ and some metal ones for 36$. I don't think I need the metal ones the internet seems very polarised about alluminium.

Also I bet I had the stock ones. Watching a video on suspension 101 I realise what thru me off where spacers. Also all this time I was talking about shocks not suspension. The store nerd told me that.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 12, 2016

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Well the little guy is still going strong but I have another problem. Something always felt off when I drove and I just realised I cannot steer left very much. Maybe a third of right.

So I wen't on google, inspected as much as I could and realised that when the screws at the front of the upper chassis are unscrewed I steer perfect. If I press them it blocks the mechanism. That would explain why they where a little lose to begin with when I checked this morning. If they are in tight nothing moves.

So it makes me wonder why this would happen. Maybe someone changed something in there with the wrong part?

it looks like I could just put a couple of washers to lift up the front of the upper chassis and it would steer fine. but then I wonder if I would loosen something else off inside and just setup myself for more problems next time I roll or whatnot.

I really need to find someone in person that knows this.

edit: the only thing I can think to do to help myself at this point is dismental all the front and check against the exploded view on traxxas's site to see if maybe I'm missing a washer inside or something. Since there are no washers normally where I intend to put some.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 13, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Your edit sounds like a good idea, imo.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kibner posted:

Your edit sounds like a good idea, imo.

Well went and bought a 4mm ratchet head for my tires and when I got home amazon had delivered my tool set one day in advance for once. Cost 2.49 at the store so bleh.

So i have finaly gotten my wheels off and was then able to get the whole servo and upper chassis out. Now to figure out where to put washers.. I did not find 3x6mm but went with the smallest they had. Looks like it will fit (1/8).

one thing I notice is that the screws at the end of the arm that's attached to the direction setup has made grooves in the body's plastic. 1mm deep at least.

Also with tthe thing dismantled I have connected the battery and checked how the little white arms steer and clearly I go less far when going left. So even with washers I have a problem. Time to check if the servo is damaged I guess.

edit: If I set trim all the way to the left everything is perfect... So something about recalibrating my controller? I do not have any link stuff to do this.

edit2: Well it was not as difficult as I taught. Nothing is yet. So yeah I need a servo or at least a servo saver. The one I have does seem to hang on but the iner rim is melted.

So I followed instruction to get everything lined up again and it seems to be better. Now to figure out where ot put my washers. I am having fun tho. Just anxious I'll gently caress something up.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 13, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Servos are splined, but not keyed, so it's very possible to connect the servo arm / servo horn to it in a way where the servo will run out of travel way before the arm will.

If I'm swapping a servo in a car, my general procedure has always been:

*Reference chassis manual to ensure that the steering linkage is at least roughly adjusted to center (since all of my cars have multiple adjustments in the steering linkages)
*Note what angle the servo arm is sitting at with steering centered
*Remove old servo
*Connect new servo to receiver
*Power on transmitter, zero out steering trim
*Power on receiver, verify the servo operates, let it center based on the transmitter's actual center
*Power off receiver
*Attempt to mount the arm on the servo at the desired angle without rotating either one (this bit's tricky)
*Finish attaching servo to car
*Power the TX and RX back on, set trims and end points according to TX manual

Edit: You seem to be learning quickly. :getin:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Edit: You seem to be learning quickly. :getin:

Well with the exploded view, you guy's and youtube + all my experience model building it's not too bad. Also lucky at this point it's simple common problems.

So I added to big washers under the pivot point where the mechanism sits on the boddy. Thus lifting everything 2-3 mm. and it seems now I can screw everything tight and still turn. I'll know if it holds when I put the tires on. Part of me expects that when the truck sits on it's tires something will jam. but I'm a pessimist.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 13, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Iznogood posted:

Well with the exploded view, you guy's and youtube + all my experience model building it's not too bad. Also lucky at this point it's simple common problems.

So I added to big washers under the pivot point where the mechanism sits on the boddy. Thus lifting everything 2-3 mm. and it seems now I can screw everything tight and still turn. I'll know if it holds when I put the tires on. Part of me expects that when the truck sits on it's tires something will jam. but I'm a pessimist.

Welcome to RC's! :) I've got one that's spent more time being repaired/upgraded than I have driving it. But that means I'm having fun when I do hoon it around like an idiot.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Siochain posted:

Welcome to RC's! :) I've got one that's spent more time being repaired/upgraded than I have driving it. But that means I'm having fun when I do hoon it around like an idiot.

Yeah I do love it. Just that since I am begining I am missing essential tools or replacement.

But! Victory! Holy poo poo! I fixed the loving steering! It worked! The little guy runs around like nothing happened turning left and right. I still want to replace everything but now I can wait a little and mitigate the girlfriends panic at all the costs building up. FIxed this one without buying more than a couple washers.

Have to say this gave me a fantastic feeling. "Hacking" in a fix. From he'll never run again to look at the little guy go.

Then I lost a loving wheel. Everyone searched and we found the nut. That's a example of what I was talking about. I don't have any replacement. if I lose one it's game over until I buy new ones. I want to get a ton of all these little things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is why I have a drawer of parts in my toolbox with fasteners that, at least in part, probably date back to the original gold tub RC10 and the RC12i pan car of similar vintage. The TC3 is still mostly non-metric so surprises still happen!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is why I have a drawer of parts in my toolbox with fasteners that, at least in part, probably date back to the original gold tub RC10 and the RC12i pan car of similar vintage. The TC3 is still mostly non-metric so surprises still happen!

Yeah I intent on buying a ton of all those cheap little things. It's clear to me my rustler was never used for bashing. It's very old the parts that are origin are dry and rusted. There are brand new parts on it (the sidewinder combo and a nice metal suspension in the front). But the way that thing has been failing it's impossible the other owner did anything else then run in his street. Or some circuit somewhere but nothing ruff.

I am getting a intense primer on fixing rcs. Just the way I like it!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone watch or do 1/8th buggy racing? I was at the European Championships last weekend, doing the main camera work for RC Racing TV (we livestream all the major European Championships) and the main final was absolutely amazing. The real drama picks up about 10 minutes from the end (35 minutes into the video) as the defending champion was beaten at every pit stop. If you have time to watch check it out here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stakol8NA1A

or just skip to about 34 or 35 minutes into the video to see all the big drama that happened

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

krushgroove posted:

Does anyone watch or do 1/8th buggy racing? I was at the European Championships last weekend, doing the main camera work for RC Racing TV (we livestream all the major European Championships) and the main final was absolutely amazing. The real drama picks up about 10 minutes from the end (35 minutes into the video) as the defending champion was beaten at every pit stop. If you have time to watch check it out here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stakol8NA1A

or just skip to about 34 or 35 minutes into the video to see all the big drama that happened

Wow! These guy's are good dargn. Seriously those jumps are so flawless. Pit stops I never thought these had them ha ha. Why not it adds so much complexity.

On the other hand my girlfriend has prevented me of using my rustler until my best friend gets here later because she knows I'll die inside if I break it and cannot show it off. So I'll probably destroy it in the first minute because too much enthusiasm. I'm a 10 year old kid inside if you could not tell.

Also my 14 months son loves daddy's new toy. he's fascinated.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My dad introduced me to the hobby as a kid and I loved it, too. A Tamiya Super Hornet was my first car. It had a mechanical speed control (high, low, brake, reverse iirc) which is seriously lol compared to things out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kibner posted:

My dad introduced me to the hobby as a kid and I loved it, too. A Tamiya Super Hornet was my first car. It had a mechanical speed control (high, low, brake, reverse iirc) which is seriously lol compared to things out today.

I, for whatever reason, never knew Tamiya makes RCs. Or I noticed it but never really paid attention. But I love love their model kits. Pricey compared to your standard revel et co but fantastic quality.

Saw a couple of unboxing videos and I cannot believe I can build my own kickass Tamiya RC one day.